YesNoOk

Books (Read 493345 times)

Started by Sepp, September 06, 2004, 07:17:29 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Books
#261  September 06, 2009, 02:51:12 pm
  • *something witty yeah*
See How They Run by Peter Mapleson (1996)

Disturbing as hell. Cliche horror/thriller story with an extremely sadistic killer.

Makes me think twice about going to the butchers now. :(

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
[/center]
#262  September 06, 2009, 07:15:46 pm
    • Argentina
    • http://furiadivina.mygamesonline.org
Finished with Der Steppenwolf, from Herman Hesse
It's pretty good, and in a lot of aspects it hit the nail with thoughts i had . . .
I'd like to know if someone else here has read it
#263  September 07, 2009, 05:52:44 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#264  September 21, 2009, 04:18:55 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Finished Good Omens from Terry pratchet and Neil Gaiman.
Great book, would recommend.

The witch burning bit made me laugh outloud on the train home.
#265  September 22, 2009, 07:38:30 pm
  • bd poster :D
    • Italy
    • http://emanuelepepi.tk
just finished reading Dracula and it sucked. one of the most boring readings of all time. it talks about a bunch of self-absorbed, morally retarded aristocrat motherfuckers (a dutch priest, a we are dumb fucks spamming this site for ten years from texas, a doctor and a total bitch) which run after a lazy individualist that was just buying houses around London. "Oh we're so morally oriented you can suck my dick in the name of our image of God, Dracula."
Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:46:37 pm by mulambo
#266  September 22, 2009, 08:00:32 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
^ you forget about the lawyer, and the rich lord godalming guy, and he was not just buying houses, he also plans to turn as many people into his kind.
#267  September 22, 2009, 10:54:06 pm
    • Italy
yeah that one, mr.Goddamnit.
and well why should we blame building society franchising? uh? Dracula was just a entrepreneur. A honest blood-sucking brain-washer entrepreneur, is there something wrong about it, mr.Stoker? :???:

omg.
now that I think about it seriously, Berlusconi (yeah that crazy clown that rules my country), started the same way : buying houses. He was a building society entrepreneur.  O_O
#268  September 22, 2009, 11:04:58 pm
So you don't care about the whole sucking blood, killing people, turning them vampires thing, it's a-okay.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#269  September 22, 2009, 11:11:36 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Just finished reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter.  I've never actually gotten a chance to see the show, but it was still a pretty good read.
#270  September 22, 2009, 11:18:10 pm
    • Italy
So you don't care about the whole sucking blood, killing people, turning them vampires thing, it's a-okay.
Actually, that thing didn't shock me or thrill me. Speaking seriously, maybe it's a fact related to the different ages we're living (I suppose that a true horror like that was in the past could be made of people eating shit instead of sucking blood in this beautiful present to be accurately shocking to the eclectic audience).
I was more focused on Renfield's personality and what-the-hell he died too soon. Stoker should have turned him into a hero. The mad hero which saves the day.
#271  September 22, 2009, 11:48:36 pm
Speaking seriously, maybe it's a fact related to the different ages we're living (I suppose that a true horror like that was in the past could be made of people eating shit instead of sucking blood in this beautiful present to be accurately shocking to the eclectic audience).
That's more like it, yeah. Just think of the things like witch-hunting : yes, those were the biggest scary things that could be talked about in horror stories. You're just used to it and it's low-level nowadays. Just think of stuff like Frankenstein's monster, that's what their biggest horrors were, even though now it would seem laughable to us.
Then again, yes, for today's standards, it sucks. But it certainly doesn't mean you can go and act like Dracula was really a harmless guy in that book.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#272  September 27, 2009, 06:23:43 am
  • I got a PM.
I just finished reading the Bible. It wasn't that bad. The ending was kinda predictable.

The First Law
#273  September 28, 2009, 06:46:37 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
The First Law

2 of 5

• The Blade Itself (2006)
  • Before They Are Hanged (2007)
  • Last Argument of Kings (2008)

Joe Abercrombie. Felt too scripted and highly predictable in parts*, a "first novel," the characters sometimes did odd things because the plot wanted them to and---sorry, I skipped most of the fight scenes because I didn't care for them. XD

Towards the end of the second book (my favorite of the three) I also started skipping chapters about the less interesting characters.

The ending is very unusual, though. But, err... *shrug*

Spoiler: predictable (click to see content)
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#274  September 29, 2009, 11:42:40 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Good omens
So there once was a snake and an angel in the garden of eden... one might have done a particularly good thing, the other might have done a particularly wrong thing .

The story of the apocalypse at the hands of the anti christ,  the efforts of angels and demons to get it over with and the nice predictions of agnes nutter, that left a book with everything that were to happen till the end of days.

SPOILERS AHEAD

25 And the lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?
26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget my own head next.
27 And the Lord did not ask him again
#275  October 15, 2009, 03:10:49 am
  • corner push pusher
Stuff White People Like, by Christian Landers. It's the funniest, most truthful bit of material I've read of to date. While fetishes towards anything asian, indie culture and the like aren't just catered to white people I understand that behind the satire of the book reveals a lot of guilty pleasures most whites don't want to own up to. I'm glad this white boy had the balls to call it all out.

I don't care if you're white. Reading this book is required.
#276  October 16, 2009, 01:06:38 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Guards Guards- Somewhere in the town, a man convinces other men to use their feelings of jealousy to summon a dragon to then simulate the return of the king to slay the dragon.

But what do you do when the dragon refuses to be unsummonned and decides to become the next King?

Amazing Maurice and his educated rodents- A cat, his group of specially educated rodents, a kid with a flute and a scam that will make the cat a Looot of money.

It surprised me how a theme so simple could make me love the characters so much as they developed inteligence conscience and started fearing the shadows it was like observing the birth of humanity portrayed on the tiny rats. Loved this one.

Reaper man- So the guys from up there in the office drop by one day , give you a gold clock and tell you that you can go off and they will replace you.. it would work better if it wasnt happening to Death.
zombies, werewolfs, and a grimreaper that decides he rather plant some potatos and corn instead of dealing with mankind problems.
#277  December 03, 2009, 02:17:13 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
read:

Iceman: stories of a hitman: the real story of a Mafia hitman, registered by his psichiatrist( after he was arrested)
Reaper man-Death gets a watch and a pat on the back, time for him to settle down and take his deserved rest.
Darkly Dreaming Dexter- a psychopath decides to use his obsessions to rid the city of crime, but he is such a silly violent man....
Man at arms-somewhere in a fantasy based city of medieval fare, someone found a weapon built by an insane genius, the weapon is a tube that shoots fireworks horizontally, when it hits you, you are Gonne.The Gonne.
Monstrous regiment: the war has ravaged the countryside, so a woman decides to go to war pretending to be a man, to get her brother back from the frontlines... but things turn out to be not as easy as they seemed as most of her group are also women in disguise as men.
#278  December 03, 2009, 02:27:56 am
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
You just reminded me I wanted to check if there was any sequel in the work after Dexter by Design. Turns out there is. Kickass, will be looking forward to it.
#279  December 03, 2009, 02:35:32 am
  • *something witty yeah*
Monstrous regiment: the war has ravaged the countryside, so a woman decides to go to war pretending to be a man, to get her brother back from the frontlines... but things turn out to be not as easy as they seemed as most of her group are also women in disguise as men.

Hooboy.

[/center]
#280  December 03, 2009, 04:36:22 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

Also a troll, a igor and a vampire.

Dexter rocks.