YesNoOk

Books (Read 493458 times)

Started by Sepp, September 06, 2004, 07:17:29 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Books
#161  November 18, 2008, 04:35:32 pm
Let's modernize this, oh let's say the Matrix. Would you rather watch Neo kicking ass, or would you rather be neo for a couple hundred pages of your life.
I can live the moment of Neo more in the movie, I can describe and imagine any possible thing myself, so no thanks at the book
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#162  November 18, 2008, 07:40:08 pm
    • Germany
I own 0 books, and I'll only read if it's for a school assignment.

..does that attitude extend to reading in general, as in longer news articles, technical instructions, et cetera? If so, I guess your attention span simply is rather short, and here we are discussing your mental capabilities.

I rarely read non-technical stuff, I keep my imagination busy with Pen&Paper rpg :)
#163  November 18, 2008, 08:31:25 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Most of the books I read are political commentaries, or fictional series that have those allusions.
#164  November 19, 2008, 12:50:52 am
  • DAT SAX
I used to read manga, until I realized that that's social suicide for a 15 year old black male.

I read stuff like [size=5pt]enclosed[/size] instruction books, technical manuals, MUGEN docs (lol), textbook sections, you know, stuff that I can use and apply to something else to get results from.

It's just like novels I can't handle. I mean, my imagination is great and I can invision the place, characters, time, etc, all that good stuff, it just gets boring using your imagination for such a long period of time like that for me, and not having to apply it somewhere else like a program, schoolwork, devices, etc. :P

I just can't do it for recreation, it's not fun for me and I don't enjoy it.

~*The Last Quincy*~         ~Sig by [TempesT]
My MUGEN shit:
MvC2 Tron Bonne, MvC Kim Kaphwan, Barns (Destruction Desire),
and Burai Yamamoto (Arranged)
#165  November 19, 2008, 04:20:45 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Enjoy your enslavemenet.
#166  December 22, 2008, 11:14:23 pm
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
dont let it die!

young adult fiction is so amusing :P

two recomendations:

hello, groin by beth goobie:

explores the journey of a lesbian dealing with her homosexuality.

George r. r. Martin's a song of ice and fire series:

it's pretty good. 4 books and counting. some of the characters are interestingly developed, and multiple perspectives!
#167  December 23, 2008, 12:15:38 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I just finished 2001 a space odyssey
#168  June 01, 2009, 09:47:30 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
A Song of Ice and Fire

• book 4: A Feast For Crows

Just awesome. I had nearly forgotten what the series was about and I could barely remember some of the dead characters and past events that were referenced, but damn it was still great. The countless characters are strong as always and the way they're fighting with words and thinking evil thoughts to themselves is fantastic. The bunch around Cersei especially.

It was so good, I barely even minded Tyrion's absence! :o

The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone
  • The Briar King
  • The Charnel Prince
  • The Blood Knight
  • The Born Queen

It was probably really unfair of me to read A Feast for Crows before this. It's not to my taste as much (and I skipped pages...), but still good enough and not very stupid at all. Loved the monk who composes little teatises in his head about the people around him. And The Black Jester concept. :sugoi:

The Born Queen said:
"I sing for the ghosts, though, and sometimes play for them very quietly, when no one is around. Like at the well."

"Does that make you happy?"

"No. But it makes me feel a better kind of sad."

Snow Crash

Wooohoo! This book rules. Very fast, very cool. No. Hip, even. I constantly had to think of this part from The AI War while reading it:

The AI War said:
"Everything is under control," Trent said. "Everything is cool. In fact," he said, "we are cool. Cool, young, hip, and in control."
     Trent could hear the quote marks around the word. "`Hip'? I don't think I know that slang."
     "It's like cool," said Trent, "but it requires more work."
     "More work," Melissa said.
     "Well, that's not accurate actually," said Trent thoughtfully. "Being cool requires no work. Mostly it requires detachment. You can be cool and not care about being cool. Being hip requires both style and effort. You can't be hip without working at it."

8)
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#169  June 01, 2009, 10:42:56 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
It's ahrd to talk about books, there are so many so it's thard to coincide, I just finished 3 books since the last one I posted, to make maters worse the names are localized, one was ellery mcqueen's 4 johns, the toehr was the barkerville's dogs by cnonan doyle and the third one was a compilation by cervantes saavedra (el quixote's guy).
#170  June 04, 2009, 04:44:15 pm
wow this thread is ancient ,

i like mystery and  science fiction books
#171  June 04, 2009, 05:15:14 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
PRetty much the same ones I favor.. ever read the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy ?
#172  June 04, 2009, 05:16:38 pm
i've seen it before but i was reading anne rice novels at that time.
#173  June 04, 2009, 05:43:28 pm
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
I'm more of a science fiction/fantasy book person, myself.
Accusare nemo se debet nisi coram Veridis
DYNOMITE
#174  June 04, 2009, 05:47:58 pm
  • I got a PM.
It's all about the classics. Oh and the freaking starwas books. Sepp and I are the only two that get his jokes/refrences. At least I hope that is the case. I would hate to think the rest of you were as nerdy as we ar...............

Wait, what the fuck am I talking about.

Right now, I'm reading John Adams. It's pretty fucking good. And I hate biographies. The only other one I like was the Howard Hughes one.
#175  June 04, 2009, 05:48:05 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Tsukasa, Read Lovecraft, expand your mind.

Its awesome.
#176  June 04, 2009, 06:07:47 pm
    • Germany
#177  June 04, 2009, 06:22:22 pm
#178  June 04, 2009, 06:26:06 pm
  • bd poster :D
    • Italy
    • http://emanuelepepi.tk
No, Tsukasa, smoke weed, expand your perceptions.

ps, H.P. Lovecraft is the name of the author Iced talked about (HP stands for 'Hi Puppy')
Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 06:30:38 pm by mulambo
#179  June 04, 2009, 06:35:13 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Rise of cthulu is a must, but I really enjoyed the most out of the short stories collections they were selling here, Shadow over innsmouth,The Haunter of The Dark, The Whisperer in Darkness and some others.. compilations of his short stories and the rise of cthulu are the way to go.

Also, Tsukasa, the author was named H P Lovecraft.
#180  June 04, 2009, 06:41:43 pm
im reading this Le Mal d'Enfance author joe bosquet