YesNoOk

Feedback to Warnings/Decisions (Read 863662 times)

Started by Iced, February 24, 2012, 09:43:26 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Feedback to Warnings/Decisions
#621  October 08, 2012, 01:57:30 am
I did watch the video, and it doesn't deny the holocaust, the mass murder of Jews, Gipsies, homosexuals and mentally disabled. It only says the facilities were ridiculously unequipped for the task described.
Now, sure, the topic itself was extremely badly presented - it just barged in and claimed "hey, that thing didn't exist and you're all sheep for believing what the Government tells you. ... Oh yeah, to see why, watch this obscure hour-and-a-half video that was buried and rejected for a quarter of a century". Or in other words "I just found a new obscure video and I saw the light, now I must spread it to you ignorant sheep like I know better than everyone else".
But I would see a topic discussing how exactly it happened, and if the descriptions that are in everyone's mind actually matches the reality of those particular facilities. I would see a topic presenting scientific evidence rather than only the commonly accepted bullet points of the holocaust (which I agree with). Why would I see a topic like that ? Because we've had far worse here.
The video itself had heavy flaws of course, but it was actually interestingly presented - and it doesn't try to make you think the holocaust didn't happen, contrary to the topic it was posted in. I'd think a topic opposing this video to other proofs contradicting it would be perfectly legit. We do see very often topics about religion that turn to shit for sillier reasons than this, so I don't see the difference as long as it's handled the same way. Racist and negationist people can be dealt with the same way as people who insist that people who commit the slightest crime deserve death, or people who keep claiming to be the only enlightened person on the planet and everyone is blind.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:02:53 am by DKDC
#622  October 08, 2012, 02:05:50 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Why should it be okay to talk shit on Christians or Athiests
Oh that's easy. Neither one is okay.

There has not been anything flagrantly offensive to either groups, on the level of creating a Holocaust denial thread.
#623  October 08, 2012, 02:11:47 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
But we have had threads that start out one way and wind up bashing either side. This thread started out with a ridiculous comment but it wasn't what it was actually about. As per Byakko's comment
I did watch the video, and it doesn't deny the holocaust, the mass murder of Jews, Gipsies, homosexuals and mentally disabled. It only says the facilities were ridiculously unequipped for the task described.
Only the topic makes that claim and fails to back it up.

And to some extent this is what i've been arguing about. Titiln's list is far too tongue in cheek, but there were a couple of points in there we could stand to put in place without having to change how we do things around here.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#624  October 08, 2012, 02:17:37 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#625  October 08, 2012, 02:21:34 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
So you're saying it was Jean's wording and not the topic and video itself that started a problem?  In that case why not just edit his post?
#626  October 08, 2012, 02:22:57 am
Wouldn't be much better, if someone wants to honestly discuss it they can repost it better. Editing people's post to make them look less obnoxious than they intended to be is not a habit around here, not changing the way people talk for the sake of keeping a subject of discussion.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#627  October 08, 2012, 02:27:01 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
I've already come up with an alternate title: "I just found this video that says the gas chambers didn't exist"
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#628  October 08, 2012, 02:31:17 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
well, iced could have told jean to edit his post or pm him.... then again aside for a few fail attemps of comedy by his part i don't really know the guy so i'm not sure if he is the type to make a thread as "hurr durr the holocaust didn't happen durr" causing iced to decide to remove th thread before it got worse

still, this could have been discussed with tehr est of teh staff before deleting the thread. but our evil emperor is not the kind to wait (and when he does peple get mad at him for not taking action fast enough)
#629  October 08, 2012, 02:37:51 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
So you're saying it was Jean's wording and not the topic and video itself that started a problem?  In that case why not just edit his post?
You dont edit the racism out of people.  You dont go around trying to take care of people so others dont ridicule them and make fun of them.
But when what they post can only lead to racist bait? I would rather delete them than having axkeeper repeats.
( best case scenario, people ridicule him, worse case scenario racists reveal themselves)
Im astonished that you cant tell the difference between a thread where people might get hurt feelings and someone making a thread denying the holocaust.
#630  October 08, 2012, 02:59:16 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Having read said thread, doesn't come across like that at all. He leaves a lot of question marks in place and the whole thing has a questioning inflection. You'd get to the point where someone would have pointed out that the video says nothing of the sort (if what byakko says is accurate)

A comment stating expectations of the thread would have been first step i think. Deletion if racism kicked in.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#631  October 08, 2012, 03:03:35 am
Well, if it had been anyone other than Jean using the same words, it would have been on the limit and I myself wouldn't have seen it too badly.
But it was Jean, and he has a history of making similar posts with a purpose.
Essentially, he just straight out calls it a myth and names a random dude nobody knows as proof, expecting people to actually read that and watch this hour long video. Yeah, stopping here, that's bait. The "you decide what you want to believe" is ridiculous and doesn't actually let you decide anything, it's the kind of "you decide" that says "conspiracy theory".
Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:08:09 am by DKDC
#632  October 08, 2012, 03:36:27 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
That's true, i had kinda forgotten we'd seen something similar from him before. Still, you can get a productive thread out of a terrible first post.

#633  October 08, 2012, 05:20:30 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
You know, it would have been interesting to have a thread that talks about the holocaust, what with most of us being born after it all hapenned, several of us even living outside of europe/the usa and having no realtion to the holocaust at all, I did not even watch the video.
#634  October 08, 2012, 05:25:35 am
but then people who had wouldn't have liked it and that would be bad

instead let's have another "dumb christians/americans do dumb shit" thread
#635  October 08, 2012, 05:29:08 am
    • USA
#636  October 08, 2012, 05:32:56 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#637  October 08, 2012, 05:36:14 am
Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:40:03 am by Bastard Wolf
#638  October 08, 2012, 05:55:14 am
    • USA
#639  October 08, 2012, 06:03:52 am
yeah, the way i see it iced just happened to find news about dumb people doing dumb shit who in their majority happen to be eitehr christians or americans

either way he got walt pretty upset about it :-\
#640  October 08, 2012, 06:04:47 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico