YesNoOk

Computer freezing after X minutes/hours (Read 4314 times)

Started by ESFAndy011, April 05, 2016, 07:44:44 pm
Share this topic:
Computer freezing after X minutes/hours
#1  April 05, 2016, 07:44:44 pm
    • Peru
Title says it all. I could be playing a game, I could be leaving it idle, I could be at the BIOS screen... it just feels like freezing and does it. It's starting to drive me crazy. Not only that, but at times it struggles to turn itself on. It switches itself on and off every 1 through 5 seconds or so before getting to the BIOS, or loading it fully. Sometimes I even get the three beeps, as if it doesn't recognize its own RAM or something. The blinking has stopped (for now?) but the freezing just sneaks up on me and I have no idea what's causing it. People tell me it's the processor's fan, or the HDD, or the PSU, or even a software problem. I did hear something like a plastic scratching sound while the "blinking" happend though, so I'm inclined to think it's one of the coolers (CPU or PSU).

I got a DZ77SL-50K (LGA1155) mobo, i7 3770K CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 980, 16GBs of DDR3 RAM, XFX 80+ Gold 1250W (real wattage).

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? If so, what did you do?
Millie, "Ozy and Millie" said:
"I think there are really three types of people: "Glass is half-full" sorts of people, "Glass is half-empty" sorts of people,
and people who will spit into the glass until that's fixed."
Re: Computer freezing after X minutes/hours
#2  April 05, 2016, 08:37:49 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
It may be that between your processor and the cooler above the cooling paste went dry, that's why when the processor gets to some temp it shuts and leave your computer that way, it happened to me a long ago, try putting some on it.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#3  April 05, 2016, 09:50:29 pm
    • Peru
Alright, I'll give that a shot and let you know. Though it might take a few days to really make sure because of how random the freezing is.
"I think there are really three types of people: "Glass is half-full" sorts of people, "Glass is half-empty" sorts of people,
#4  April 05, 2016, 10:05:56 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
If you check your temps and they don't go into the danger zone, try running the machine with each ram stick individually. I had random freezes for a long time that were caused by bad RAM, though it didn't have issues POSTing on reboot.
#5  April 07, 2016, 06:03:04 pm
    • Peru
So I think I found the problem. I stress-tested with Prime95 and monitored with RealTemp and.... it froze about 7-8 minutes in at 92°C max.

I'm buying some thermal paste this weekend, but in the mean time I took the liberty to use some... well, tooth paste. As a temporary solution of course.

I am... not making this up. I couldn't if I tried... it actually worked. Idle temp is around 45°C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvxoGy4_kmk

So far I've been able to keep the computer up and running (downloading stuff) through the night, and I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the help!
#6  April 09, 2016, 05:14:40 am
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Great, glad it helped!
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand