YesNoOk

(SIGN-UPS) Call of Cthulhu: MFG Edition! (Read 8210 times)

Started by Jango, April 24, 2017, 07:33:57 am
Share this topic:
(SIGN-UPS) Call of Cthulhu: MFG Edition!
#1  April 24, 2017, 07:33:57 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Alright, we're gonna do this for real now!

Introducing...
Call of Cthulhu: MFG Edition

The Scenario

Tula, Mexico. 1929

The country is feeling the after-effects of 1910's Mexican Revolution. There is a clear divide between the Mexican Government and the Catholic Church, perfectly symbolic of the divide between the ruling class and the larger populace. It is in this time and place that our adventure is mostly concerned with.

A letter arrives in Miskatonic University, located in Arkham, Massachusetts. It is from one Father Kornelis Korstiaansz, a Dutch Priest for the village of Nuevo Voso. The letter details of an unusual beast that was shot down by local farmers, and as the village's authority figure, it is his duty to find out what it is. Hoping to avoid political problems, he has avoided sending his findings to the more easily accessible University of Mexico, and has instead opted for outsider help. Included is an unusual photograph, depicting an unusual, pale creature with a crustacean-like shell yet the physique and size of a medium-sized dog.

To our intrepid investigators, it's a potential new breakthrough in Zoology! To Father Kornelis, it's peace of mind for his flock. To a third party, it's survival...

I have an FAQ in the spoiler below for any questions you may have, but for our inaugural run of this game, you will need the following:

• The Quick Start Guide so you know the basic rules.
  • A 1920's Character Sheet. There's a blank and an autocalc version, so choose whichever you like better or whatever your computer can handle. Instructions for setting them up are in the aforementioned Quick Start Guide
  • A set of RPG dice OR this site to handle dice rolls.
  • The ability to read/respond to notifications or PMs. Can't have the game hanging because one dude is loafing around (players that take more than a day or two to respond will be penalized in some way)! Additionally, as GM, I will PM some users from time to time to tell them information only their specific character has access to.

SIGN-UPS

I am looking for at least three but no more than six people to plunge into this story. Such individuals must be able to respond in a timely manner to story developments. If there are more than 6 applicants, any extras will be next in line should one of the selected players be killed off or driven insane. While I'm okay with pretty much any jobs, I am hoping AT LEAST ONE applicant has a character specializing in Botany or Zoology (and as noted in the intro, works at Miskatonic University). If the Quick Start doesn't have a job you want, I have access to a variety of jobs with skill listings to consult. If all else fails, you can tell me what you want to do, and then justify what skills your job would require.

• Edmund Dunheap, Comedian (Mechy)
  • Vicente de Carlo, Magician (OZ)
  • Youssef Khourry, Professor of Physics (-Whiplash-)
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
Spoiler: archival post (click to see content)
Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:23:05 am by Jango
Re: (Brainstorming) Call of Cthulhu: MFG Edition!
#2  April 24, 2017, 08:00:26 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Guild at the Table, eh? Interesting! Would a set time be hashed out, or would we just go along as it comes along?
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#3  April 24, 2017, 08:18:20 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
If it's on the board, it'd probably be "as it comes around" (although I might nudge someone if everyone else has declared an action and it's been like a day or two, worst case scenario I would find some creative way to let the game continue and possibly let in a new player character if available)

If it was in chat or something, that might get a bit chaotic if it's public, and I imagine it would be hard to get everyone involved at the same time.

OZ

#4  April 24, 2017, 08:26:58 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
 :curtain:

sounds shwifty

I'm curious to see how having something like a 1 day time limit to act (unless announced ahead of time maybe) would work out
and I'm guessing your availability, as GM, will kind of determine a lot of the flow timewise
ಠ_ಠ
#5  April 24, 2017, 08:59:13 pm
  • Quack
Gee, I gotta say I'm pretty interested. I might not be able to fully commit to something like this (because my internet is spotty and more often than not I don't have any *problems of living in the middle of nowhere*), but I sure would like to participate somehow.
Quack
#6  April 24, 2017, 09:06:38 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Seems fun. Im in.

Though as said above, There should be some kinda day limit. You don't want it dragging too much just because someone can't/won't move things along.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#7  April 24, 2017, 09:58:10 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Awesome! Well, regarding idle players, my idea is a three strike system.

Basically if you sign up, you get 1 or 2 days from each Scenario Phase to decide your course of action (including chatting with the other players). If you do not participate AT ALL (either chatting or deciding an action) you get one strike and I temporarily take control of your character to help move things into the next Scenario Phase. The same will happen the second time, but there will be an in-game consequence (ie: you get robbed on the street). The third time is the same, but your character will be removed from the game (ie: a monster decapitates you).

Most scenarios are written with a single player in mind, as well as conclusions for everyone dying or going insane, so it's possible that even if someone is removed, the overall effect will be negligible or possibly even beneficial (outside of sped up gameplay I mean).

As far as people who want to play but can't commit, I could possibly assign them an NPC role, wherein I give them some notes on what their character knows, and then basically present that in-character until the main players are done.
#8  April 25, 2017, 04:14:28 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Ooooh interesting.  Like to join up too.

Something about the dice rule.  Using the online eice setting how will it be handled so the odds do not get abused for the roller?  Would there be a limit or a restriction such as both you and the roller must be online?
#9  April 25, 2017, 04:39:20 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Oh you mean in terms of making sure someone isn't always getting crits?

So far, honor system. HOWEVER, the beauty of Cthulhu is that sometimes failure leads to a better outcome than success. For example, if someone drops an item from a bag and scrambles to pick it up, you may get prompted for a Spot Hidden. If you fail, you know that they dropped something that's obviously important but still looks suspicious. If you succeed, you know that the person dropped a SEVERED CHILD'S ARM and will probably lose Sanity over it.
(SIGN-UPS) Call of Cthulhu: MFG Edition!
#10  April 27, 2017, 07:55:17 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
ALRIGHT MEN, IT'S TIME FOR SIGN-UPS
Re: (SIGN-UPS) Call of Cthulhu: MFG Edition!
#11  April 27, 2017, 08:52:25 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
Although I just noticed this now I'm interested. I'll fill in the sheet tomorrow and hand it over.

OZ

#12  April 27, 2017, 08:16:11 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
FILLING OUT SHEET NOW
ಠ_ಠ
#13  April 28, 2017, 12:56:20 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Our first investigator, Edmund Dunheap, has stepped forward courtesy of @Mechy: ! Will his comedy background be able to keep our party's spirits lifted when the going gets tough, or is his smiling face merely masking the tragedy yet to come?
#14  April 29, 2017, 03:36:02 pm
  • professional white boy
  • god, I wish that were me
    • USA
    • reddit.com/user/Bob8644
In what times will we be able to do story developments?

Because some people have school, others have jobs, etc.

OZ

#15  April 29, 2017, 06:06:54 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
I think the plan is to give people a day or two to react to story developments, and failing to do so means the DM will take the turn for you, probably at your characters detriment
ಠ_ಠ
New #16  April 30, 2017, 01:28:57 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
TWO MORE PEOPLE HAVE JOINED IN

Youssef Khourry (played by @-whiplash-: ), a Professor of Physics at Miskatonic University, whose studies have not dulled his strongly religious background. While a conflict of faith and science isn't uncommon, what happens when a third item of conflict enters to challenge both?

Vincente De Carlo, a Magician, has also joined the team. I don't know much of his background yet because I'm waiting for @OZ: to reupload his character sheet (this last sentence is entirely placeholder), but will his Sleigh of Hand prove useful in his dealings with the unknown?
Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:32:37 am by Jango