YesNoOk

Is P.O.T.S. style hate justified? (Read 9393 times)

Started by SolWarrior, June 27, 2018, 09:13:04 am
Share this topic:
Re: Is P.O.T.S. style hate justified?
#21  June 28, 2018, 03:25:14 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I've been making characters for like, eight years or so, and I've seen the same tired arguments about how overused and terrible PotS style is for a good seven (or more?) of those years. So I can't exactly call any of this "recent".

Nor can I say that it is justified; PotS style is no different or inherently worse than any of the other gameplay styles that preceded PotS style's rise in popularity (e.g., MVC2, DBZ, et. al.) which were trendy to rag on.
#22  June 28, 2018, 04:12:40 am
    • USA
What if people just do things for fun, not be associated with... "IF you do this, it must be to this standard as mandated"
If someone claims something is in a particular style, you'd expect it to be in that style.
Otherwise, it's not in that style.

Well I more so am talking about what BBhood is saying. You don't even have to say it is that, someone would come along and say "This is nothing like how I remember it". As if we had to make things resemble any kind of source. We lost that freedom to be creative as the expectation got so overwhelming, that following standard or making mistakes, yes made people not want to do it. Then you have people outright suggesting "if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. "Jmorphman is the only one capable of doing it right" and various other discouraging things. Those guys that did custom variations to things lol oh man did they get hell for that.

It's strange.  When Infinite made Deadpool, no one minded that he didn't have MvC3 gameplay; but then when he made Dr. Doom, everyone suddenly minded.  Like make up your mind, people; it's his style (and also never claimed to be anything but his style), and it's still high quality and not broken.  If the only issue is that he plays nothing like in MvC3, then you're free to fix that issue; in fact, you've been free to fix that issue for years now, and yet no one even now has stepped up to make an MvC3 Doom out of him.
This! Literally. Anyone could have at any point just said.. I'll just do it my way, rather than picking apart something else that didn't come out how "they" would have liked to see it. Man the fun in this were those conversations. "So how would you go about that", "I'd like to see your version of this" and so and so. People suggesting ideas of this and that, "Oh that move would be cool to implement, try it this way". I've learned over the years, talking to various crowds that all we have is us. No one else understands this stuff or cares for that matter. No one else is as nerdy, though we show it in different ways. As funny as it sounds, the world outside of these walls can't ever take this as seriously as we have, so to me, it has always been a fight against ourselves. Whether you associate with that us, is completely up to you, but I've recently been seeing everyone everywhere so the interest is definitely still there.
#23  June 28, 2018, 05:34:15 am
    • Argentina
I do not understand that this is not supposed to be the mugen that is a hobby and that it does not become an obligation, where we can use our creativity to do new things and not always have to be exactly as in the original game, I really like the idea that there are different styles and that they can be used to create more chars with those styles because at least there is a certain balance in the characters that we use in our personal mugen, or that if we do not continue to exploit the background of kof 02um and is it seen in every chars that exists ?, or the characters that are so heavy because they fill them with xplods? or the chars that have AIs more unfair than those of a commercial game?
Some things may be annoying because we think they are using them too much but it is something that many like to use  I do not think there is a rule that limits the use of X style, number of explods in a char or difficulty of the AI but who are we to criticize that if the vast majority of us started doing simple things, seeing how they were the jobs of others and reading the odd tutorial to learn how to do what we did not understand well.   
PD: Sorry that the message is something long and some seems confusing but I hurry a bit to write it and use the Google translator (my English is not very good xD)
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#24  June 28, 2018, 09:37:16 am
What if people just do things for fun, not be associated with... "IF you do this, it must be to this standard as mandated"
If someone claims something is in a particular style, you'd expect it to be in that style.
Otherwise, it's not in that style.

Well I more so am talking about what BBhood is saying. You don't even have to say it is that, someone would come along and say "This is nothing like how I remember it". As if we had to make things resemble any kind of source. We lost that freedom to be creative as the expectation got so overwhelming, that following standard or making mistakes, yes made people not want to do it. Then you have people outright suggesting "if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. "Jmorphman is the only one capable of doing it right" and various other discouraging things. Those guys that did custom variations to things lol oh man did they get hell for that.

No one got hell for doing custom stuff at all, most of the "hell" you speak off is your experience and its well deserved in your case.
I've seen multiple chars released that have nothing to do with source or any of the mugen systems  that are super fun and recieved great feedback.

Do not apply your own experience to every single creator in the site.
#25  June 28, 2018, 09:46:47 am
    • USA
Did you even read what BBH said. You are the only one in this thread whom is salty. You are still trying to get a response after the failed "lmao". Everyone here has seen it & for you to agree that any hate is "well deserved" shows your character. You are a grown ass man worried about another man. Get over it. It's been like 4 years and you still holding on. No one else here is directing anything towards a single individual and I've had arguments with many of them here whom were mature enough to see the bigger picture because you had something to get off your chest.
#26  June 28, 2018, 09:57:04 am
Im not salty for anything, you are claiming people get shit for doing custom stuff which is not the case and yeah its funny as hell.
Rei:
Those guys that did custom variations to things lol oh man did they get hell for that.
Its responses like that is why you're considered as a  meme bro.

Pointing out a flaw in your argument makes me salty sure whatever.
Stop taking everything personally no one's after your head or anything, if you just said( yeah you have a point bro) and left it at that instead of responding like you did I would have not said anything after it.
Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:37:11 am by PeXXeR
#27  June 28, 2018, 09:59:29 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Same with the dislike of anything when you claim x-style and it isn't that at all. If you are going to say something is pots style thats more than cvs2 sparks. Don't want to do the whole thing? Not a problem. It's your character but don't pass it off as something it's not.

Don't say mvc style when all you have is a mashy combo system and super jump. Don't say cvs2 if all you have is sprites. Custom is ALWAYS an option. It should be used more often if you aren't adhering to the source. Doesn't need to be total adherence but needs to be more than what we often get.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#28  June 28, 2018, 10:43:25 am
    • USA
Im not salty for anything, you are claiming people get shit for doing custom stuff which is not the case and yeah its funny as hell.
Rei:
Those guys that did custom variations to things lol oh man did they get hell for that.
Its responses like that is why you're considered as a  meme bro.

Pointing out a flaw in your argument makes me salty sure whatever.
Nobody has energy for this anymore. You aren't even saying anything contributing to the topic. You are picking apart what I say"specifically?", not reading the whole context, trying to instigate, telling me I'm a meme. What is this contributing to? Do you feel better about yourself? Feel as though you are putting me in my place? Because you love to see people rag on me? You are too worried about another man on the internet. The evidence is there. This isn't about me, yet you are trying to point out flaws in what I say? Do you have nothing better to do? Its seriously grasping at straws at this point.
#29  June 28, 2018, 10:53:35 am
Im not trying to put you"in your place" or anything I don't care about that stuff, I dont know why you're taking stuff personally, all I am saying is just what you're saying is not the case if any other member posted what you did I would have said the same thing, I dont give two shits who said it. Its just my 2 cents on the matter. You're making out the guild the be a  bad place for people to release stuff which again is not the case.  You can be creative, YOU CAN release what you want, but when you label stuff as POTS style people will be expecting the system to be same or close to it. Label your stuff as something else or custom or your own style no one's gonna say anything about it.

Edit. SolWarrior I have nothing against Infinite or his creations.
Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:03:26 am by PeXXeR
#30  June 28, 2018, 11:59:16 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
I think what's trying to be said in all that back-and-forth up there is this: You can make your character in whatever style you want, just as long as you do it well.  It sounds like someone's creation skills aren't quite up to par and they're playing the "MUH UNIQUE STYLE" card to excuse it.
#31  June 28, 2018, 12:09:13 pm
    • USA
This is getting off topic so I’ll spoiler it. For those that don’t read it, the conclusion to this topic has already been settled, do what you want, however you want it. Someone already said it best, anything that gets popular will get some hate. Also what you just said ^ as long as you do t right according to others standards, you’ll be good.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#32  June 28, 2018, 03:41:46 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Nor can I say that it is justified; PotS style is no different or inherently worse than any of the other gameplay styles that preceded PotS style's rise in popularity (e.g., MVC2, DBZ, et. al.) which were trendy to rag on.
It wasn't just trendy to bash them just because those characters were popular, to was trendy to bash them because those characters were complete shit like 95%~99% of the time.

The "Brazilian MvC estilo" meme might be be dead, but many of us still remember when the bulk of MvC releases were either Kong's or based on the MvC EoH template. Decent DBZ characters that didn't come from...uh, what's his name? the Japanese guy who made a bunch of DBZ characters and the RE bonus game, before TeamZ2 were almost completely unheard of.

DW

#33  June 28, 2018, 04:31:41 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
That would be Choujin sir.

So, in terms of someone not liking something; For the most part it just comes down to preference. I more believe that the so called "hate" is directed to the specific author, not so much the style. Several authors who try to make P.o.t.S style chars do it to be "famous". They get salty when they don't win awards, or get feedback other than "Awesome Supah Char Bruh!!". They're too busy trying to get Youtube views, or people joining their Discord/Facebook, or w/e else in that regard.

They have really high egos and superiority complexes.  It's under the guise of trying to build a community. Though really all they want is a bunch of "yes" men to stroke their ego. Unfortunately those are the more vocal, so those who are actually just trying to make chars for fun and assist with making that dream roster, are often times guilt by indirect association. People in this community don't like authors that are not receptive to feedback. 
#34  June 28, 2018, 04:41:24 pm
    • USA
I simply like POTS style characters because they're all around fun to play.

Though I don't consider it the best thing ever. For the most part, I like using characters that implement most forms of Custom gameplay like the ones made by Buckus, Kohaku, RoySquadRocks, and XCB (Tetsu comes to mind)
#35  June 28, 2018, 04:50:28 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
DW summed up what I don't like in general. People that use the name to get famous and don't really make an effort to make the style work, and making people stroke their precious ego just to make them feel good and whole.
#36  June 28, 2018, 05:14:44 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
My problem isnt with Pots style but Infinite's take on it with chains and air combos,I mean if character has it in original game like mahvel sure fine,but power charge and chains as well as air combo at same time feels wrong to me,not hate opinion,tho I see why people hate on it,after tragedy I have seen from krunkests spriteswapped genjuro ,but most important how many pots threads are there really can't we just end this?
its not just pots style tho,seen that Choujin based Extreme Butoden op tras?h,that isnt even close to 5th percent of original character? yup,problem isnt based on style but rather how much indiviual cares about doing it in a way that everyone likes
Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:21:08 pm by mete122
#37  June 28, 2018, 07:01:11 pm
  • Niigasan
Anddd that's the problem, everyone likes what jmorph, divine and their copycats do. Which is, make chars with the strict timings and put limits on them, "accurate". But when people (me, falcon, infinite, r@ce) try something new/different like give the chars more comboability it isn't as well received.

No knock on what they do but I for one hate strict timings and limits on these chars especially because nowadays most fighting games have a more free or loose combo system. But to each their own. Hell I even tried ts with juri make her "accurate" but no dice. it is what it is.
#38  June 28, 2018, 07:16:03 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
comboability is nice but a way to do it without pasting chains everywhere around the char would be better since char itself can be considered stiff when you remove that chains,air combos etc
#39  June 28, 2018, 11:15:11 pm
  • Bad Apple.
    • Puerto Rico
Basically legitimate pots style is getting bad rep because people don't know how to code them and claim its pots.
#40  June 28, 2018, 11:20:16 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Precisely. Pretty funny how those who are saying "you shouldn't hate on this" in this thread are the exact same ones that contributed to the problem in the first place.