YesNoOk

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch) (Read 122229 times)

Started by Kirishima, February 27, 2019, 03:08:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch)
#81  June 15, 2019, 11:39:53 am
    • Netherlands
Just a thought as I sit in front of the computer just now:

Since the Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield are both on a system that can receive large patches fairly easily, what is the likelihood that future updates to the game will include new Pokemon that wasn't in already?

Maybe have a Safari Zone and have the new Pokemon dumped in there, claiming to be imports from a far-away region...

tbh I was thinking the same thing- I think it's pretty likely. Nintendo's recent track record with listening to fan feedback and patching in requested features is pretty good, but on the other hand Gamefreak is kind of like an entirely different beast.
#82  June 15, 2019, 12:15:05 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
The closest to additional content Game Freak has done is the expensive Mew DLC for LGPE. I suppose you could count the Dream World, but that's something already built into the games and they simply needed to get the web app up and running; also Mystery Gifts I suppose, but no full-on big additions to games.

Track record is working against a gradually expanding Pokédex.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#83  June 15, 2019, 08:24:48 pm
  • My username has a history to it.
    • USA
    • pineappleproducer.webs.com/
All this news of excluded Pokemon and no Megas makes me sad. Guess I'll keep the horde of Pokemon I've been collecting since childhood on my Gen 6 cartridges.
*I have an uncle who can't grasp why Donkey Kong isn't on PlayStation 3.
*EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEEABOO!!! :D
*Proud owner of Godzilla on PS4.

#84  June 29, 2019, 04:38:08 am
    • USA
#85  June 29, 2019, 04:47:38 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
For all the ungrateful, entitled fanboy bitching every single one of these jokers is gonna be lining up to buy it on launch day regardless.
#86  June 29, 2019, 04:56:26 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Doesn't heal the wound that veterans won't be able to transfer their favorites into Sword/Shield.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#87  June 29, 2019, 05:12:52 am
    • USA
Big whoop.  Catch a new pokemon or play the old ones again.    They're not obligated to cater exclusively to the obsessive adult fanbase who refuse to accept anything new or different.
#88  June 29, 2019, 06:01:13 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Man, I get flashbacks of when people was bitching about Fairy types. I do think that it kinda sucks that some Pokemon won't be in the Pokedex, but at the same time I am super stoked to see the new Pokemon as well.
#89  June 29, 2019, 03:24:37 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Big whoop.  Catch a new pokemon or play the old ones again.    They're not obligated to cater exclusively to the obsessive adult fanbase who refuse to accept anything new or different.

What is even new in this game? Making Pokemon bigger? How exactly is that original and exciting? 3d camera? Should have happened the moment they switched to 3d with XY. Multiplayer raids? That's has been a thing since multiplayer existed.

I'm not that blind a fanboy that I can just accept them removing features and the things they're adding is completely not up to par. Also once again I'm going to mention the overall quality of the game. I can't imagine how someone could ever defend something as noticeable as N64-quality trees, or Wingulls statically hovering 3 feet in the air, or the bike clipping through the ground, or NPCs just popping in on the screen. Is this kind of amateur programming really something we should just accept from the biggest media franchise in the world?
#90  June 29, 2019, 03:42:58 pm
    • USA
Yes, I agree that it doesn't have anything new at all when you deliberately choose to ignore all of the new things it has.  Wow.  Good point.  Really opened up my eyes with that one.
#91  June 29, 2019, 06:52:18 pm
  • For honor!
Watching both sides of Pokemon fanboys go at it with each other is already amusing as is but I feel the real fun hasn't even started. Like, I can't wait until people get into Sword and Shield's data. As the poke'mon programming and models in these games were made to be as recycle-able as possible I am fairly confident that all Poke'mon data will actually be in the game for various reasons and yet the internet will fucking break when that data is found. Bonus points if someone manages to hack in the untransferable Poke'mon to show them being largely intact save maybe for the model fucking up when dynamaxing or doing new moves.
Iroha stripped for me
#92  June 29, 2019, 07:03:42 pm
    • Brazil
Yes, I agree that it doesn't have anything new at all when you deliberately choose to ignore all of the new things it has.  Wow.  Good point.  Really opened up my eyes with that one.
Its not being ignored, its simply non-existant. Giant Pokémon with "specific movesets" for said state is no big deal, its literally a worse version of Mega Evolution, with less uniqueness because its literally a bigger model instead of a cool new one with another ability. Raid bosses have been a thing since forever, how is that new in this game? No "new feature" is being ignored, because no new feature exists, its simply a crappier version of things that already exist. And they have yet to give us an explanation as to why we're having so many Pokémon removed while NOTHING is being added.

Watching both sides of Pokemon fanboys go at it with each other is already amusing as is but I feel the real fun hasn't even started. Like, I can't wait until people get into Sword and Shield's data. As the poke'mon programming and models in these games were made to be as recycle-able as possible I am fairly confident that all Poke'mon data will actually be in the game for various reasons and yet the internet will fucking break when that data is found. Bonus points if someone manages to hack in the untransferable Poke'mon to show them being largely intact save maybe for the model fucking up when dynamaxing or doing new moves.
Thats exactly what frustrates me the most about this situation: if they had made completely new models, animations and effects, I would have understood, not liked it, but it is understandable that they wouldn't be able to make new animations for every Pokémon. But they are not making ANYTHING, those models are the exact same they've been ever since X/Y, aside from a new coat of paint and the animations are exactly the same, all it took for them to do was to make more for the new Pokémon, which is the only thing they're actually doing in this game, it doesn't justify removing the rest.
#93  June 29, 2019, 07:15:14 pm
  • For honor!
Oh no don't get me wrong I'm not one of those "But they keep recycling the models they have no excuse people!" because there's nearly a thousand of these fuckers at this point. Every bit of new programming is a pain in the ass. Even minor new attack animations are very time consuming. I can actually see why incomplete compatibility is a thing but I can also see that give it another game or two and then all the Poke'mon will be completely reprogrammed for Switch engine so they're will be no point to not include all of them and then they'll throw out Poke'mon Finished Ultra Sword and Shield with full Poke'mon support as a selling point.

I'm simply under the opinion that gamefreak was not prepared for a project of this scale and I'm just gonna enjoy the fireworks while awaiting a switch Pokemon game that isn't a tech demo or a beta.
Iroha stripped for me
#94  June 29, 2019, 07:18:24 pm
    • USA
Its not being ignored, its simply non-existant. Giant Pokémon with "specific movesets" for said state is no big deal, its literally a worse version of Mega Evolution, with less uniqueness because its literally a bigger model instead of a cool new one with another ability. Raid bosses have been a thing since forever, how is that new in this game? No "new feature" is being ignored, because no new feature exists, its simply a crappier version of things that already exist. And they have yet to give us an explanation as to why we're having so many Pokémon removed while NOTHING is being added.

You don't get to decide something isn't there just because you didn't personally ask for it.  That is the absolute pinnacle of arrogant, ignorant fanboyism. 
#95  June 29, 2019, 10:57:27 pm
    • Brazil

You don't get to decide something isn't there just because you didn't personally ask for it.  That is the absolute pinnacle of arrogant, ignorant fanboyism. 
You don't get to say that it is there just because you're satisfied with the bare minimum on both effort and content. That is the absolute pinnacle of arrogant ignorant white-knighting.
#96  June 29, 2019, 11:14:20 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I mean no, you're wrong. There is stuff being added, its just not what you wanted.
#97  June 29, 2019, 11:22:07 pm
    • USA
You don't get to say that it is there just because you're satisfied with the bare minimum on both effort and content. That is the absolute pinnacle of arrogant ignorant white-knighting.
It is literally and objectively new content.  Pokemon has never had multiplayer raid battles before.  It has never had a mega/z-move/transformation mechanic that can be applied to any pokemon and not just the handful that they want to market for the anime.    Again, you don't get to decide that it doesn't exist just because you, personally, did not approve of its inclusion.  Just because you're angry doesn't mean you're right.

Goddamn Dudley Dursley's all over this place.  You just want more more more more more.  Who cares what it is or how hard it is to make or how expensive or how much stress on the developers it causes.  Y'all just keep demanding an unreasonable amount of content that you're never even actually going to use.
#98  June 29, 2019, 11:43:23 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Oh no don't get me wrong I'm not one of those "But they keep recycling the models they have no excuse people!" because there's nearly a thousand of these fuckers at this point. Every bit of new programming is a pain in the ass. Even minor new attack animations are very time consuming. I can actually see why incomplete compatibility is a thing but I can also see that give it another game or two and then all the Poke'mon will be completely reprogrammed for Switch engine so they're will be no point to not include all of them and then they'll throw out Poke'mon Finished Ultra Sword and Shield with full Poke'mon support as a selling point.

I more or less kind of agree with this. People don't realize how massive the amount of Pokemon there are now is.

and besides, there's sort of a sense of "realism" now: not every animal is found everywhere on Earth. Might as well remake the previous games with every pokemon introduced after if we need to have every pokemon in every game.
#99  June 30, 2019, 04:46:32 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I'm not on the fanboyism side on the matter. I only wanted to be able to transfer my teams from my Ultra Sun over to Sword/Shield's postgame but even if they did allowed people to bring all their old Pokemon teams for postgame, the removal of Megas already confirmed I can't bring some of my sets because the sets are strictly for the Mega evolution. I'm just gonna have to start a new army of Pokemon from scratch postgame. I'm pretty sure Ditto will be in Galar, that way it'll be possible to breed for the nature you want on the Pokemon. Dynamaxing seem meh over Megas but unlike Megas, you can Dynamax any Pokemon you have with you though there's a 3 turn limit...

Until then, I'm gonna eagerly wait for new info on the new Pokemon and have my Spoil Station ready because once the game's been datamined, I'm gonna start a new Google Doc listing my Sword/Shield sets.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#100  June 30, 2019, 04:57:02 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Boy, those two weeks sure let everyone from either side cool their heads, yeah?  Nice and civil all around.

Well, that certainly is a disappointment from Game Freak.  A nod as to what the cut content could look forward to in Home, as plugging as it would be for them, would have saved them additional backlash.  Not very smart.  Nor is the wording continuing the trend of implication that never again will you have your full team back, just those missing will swap places with those in currently for the next game comforting.  But it is their choice.  If they were willing to wait this out two weeks, they probably should have just kept waiting until the next actual game info dump to address this so that we could also get something on the other stuff people have been criticizing to discuss.  They have something planed for July, don't they?

I suppose for the time being....I'll hold on to the pre-order on account of not seeing much of the game yet.  When we get that next big info dump, I'll see if the new stuff is worth the trouble.  Thus far it hasn't been anything personally substantial or worth all this drama.  I managed dealing with not getting gens 4 and 5 plus X and Y at launch, I can manage to get this pre-owned if it's only "ok".  But I don't like the idea of supporting this removal of choice.