YesNoOk

Edit of character on POSTS style (Read 6233 times)

Started by zahikel, May 18, 2019, 10:24:33 am
Share this topic:
Edit of character on POSTS style
#1  May 18, 2019, 10:24:33 am
Hello
I have a question
There is a ton of POSTS style character
No offense against the editors but which edit is really interesting and well code?
Re: Edit of character on POSTS style
#2  May 18, 2019, 11:52:45 am
    • Turkey
Actually all of them because it requires more knowledge and better coding skills than making an ordinary char.
#3  May 18, 2019, 03:24:04 pm
I think it s more difficult to make an entire character than to make an edit
#4  May 18, 2019, 05:14:24 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
It's hard to do a POTS-like character, it tells you someone who made a lot of characters for MUGEN and in different styles (now I'm stuck with ClayFighter style). I tried to jump the bandwagon, but the code overpassed me and I left the project of make characters in that style.

Adnan is right, to make a character like that, you should study a lot to get the idea about how to make a char in this style, it's not just the FX, the bright yellow superscreen or the BadaBoom font in super finish, there's a lot of code there you should perfect before start to enter in that territory

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#5  May 19, 2019, 01:04:35 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Basara pretty much hit the nail since the majority who have tried to make their own or edit other PotS styled characters tend to be very miss far more than hit since they tend to lack the fundamental understanding of how PotS himself made his characters. The amount I can say who have got it right can only be counted on two hands if I'm being generous. Most of them just mimic aesthetics just for the sake of it, make a ton of guesses on their gameplay with prayers that the character simply functions regardless of essence and slap the label on.
#6  May 22, 2019, 04:22:33 pm
    • www.youtube.com/user/anderson505
why there not such thing as making pots char style to beginning to the ending on youtube?
The only tutorial that we can find is those chibi chars
#7  May 22, 2019, 05:03:04 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
If you're talking about Ryon's tutorial, I started creating chars after watching it, it helped me a lot. Of course, he is teaching how to create a basic char, the style is up to you to decide since there are many different styles. You can go MvC with all the combos and super jumps, or you can go CvS for a more strategic fight, and so on.
As already said, is not easy to make chars in this style, I think a very basic char already consumes a lot of time with just the default sparks and sounds, a POTS style one will consume even more since there are many elements that make it popular, not only the effects, but how the combo/cancel system works, etc.
Before creating chars in this style, I read a lot of codes from different creators, (mainly Jmorphman, my template is based of one of his chars), until I could understand what each code do. Also there's a template made by Memo, but if you don't fully understand the codes you will make some mistakes (like I did). I also read a lot about frame data and timing to get a decent result.
In the end, I think it is all about studying and practicing. :)

vyn

#8  June 14, 2019, 02:21:58 am
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
Ill add my 2cents on the whole pots style subject, kinda off topic since the oc just wanted cool characters in this style but heck.

The pots style/template is, originally, damn good and uses many elements from many different games while maintaining a good balance and simple enough gameplay.

About the difficulty of making a character in this style; if doing it 100%, like jmorphman amazingly does, is quite the undertaking yes, more so than many other styles/systems.

Many creations in this style however do not go to that extent and mostly replace stuff in pots existing characters to different degrees. Now is this bad?, should we critisize creations that use pots style but dont really achieve it or try to?. Of course not, look at it this way: if the pots template did not exist or was not as popular as it is, many of these creations would probably not even exist since creating a character from scratch (kfm) is way more complicated that replacing stuff in an already existing awesome template.

The other side of the coin: while I consider pots himself one of the best authors to ever come to this community, having learned a lot from his work and after having used his system on a few releases myself, I do sometimes regret how perharps more authors would feel more complled to make their own systems, effects, templates, etc. if the pots template was not so prominent, (sometimes its even expected or demanded), and in turn making mugenguild as a community more varied, more creative.

Kind of a nitpick, its obvious that pots was a blessing to this community and i personally am thankful for his work and influence. If only more authors eventually moved on from his style into their own i would be a really happy camper since ive always been about using mugen to create your dream little piece of a videogame.
Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:42:31 am by vyn
#9  June 14, 2019, 03:59:48 pm
I personally love the POTS style setup, if people like the style there's no reason not to follow what Jman/DW are doing.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
This plays really smooth the only thing this roster is lacking is AI and grapplers.
Will be adding Karma's Blanka, DW's Kyosuke and Knuckles's Yamazaki, slowly but surely more quality stuff is coming out and its a fucking joy to play for all of us old school fans.
Having Shermie/Tia/ etc in a System that resembles CVS is great.

I am all about creativity and expressing what your ideal fighting game will be its just the inconsistency that's the big minus for me, which granted is a also a positive for other people, fighting random stuff with random chars.

It goes both ways and its great that we have both of those options.
Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:11:42 pm by PeXXeR
#10  June 14, 2019, 10:39:21 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I would like to see a fullgame in the style more than anything else
#11  June 15, 2019, 09:05:05 pm
    • USA
I’d like to see it as well, with you involved somehow. You have enough fancy SP’s. You all should get together and do similar to what that guy did with Warusaki3s characters. Put that knowledge to use. More unity, less beating up your favorite creators A.I. With as many of you involved with the like interest, and some of you who actually play fighting games, you could pull it off. No one really cares about the FX etc, it’s the mechanics and having something comparable to commercial. Closet thing to most games people have played SF/KOF etc. “Competitive mugen” like MOBIKELEGEND is always saying. Have to overcome that diversity, Hardcore/Casual. Make it hardcore I say, or teach/instruct those whom are not as.
#12  June 15, 2019, 09:15:42 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home

He claimed not too long ago he was developing a full-game, but I'm not sure the style or gameplay.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#13  June 15, 2019, 10:38:09 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I’d like to see it as well, with you involved somehow. You have enough fancy SP’s. You all should get together and do similar to what that guy did with Warusaki3s characters. Put that knowledge to use. More unity, less beating up your favorite creators A.I. With as many of you involved with the like interest, and some of you who actually play fighting games, you could pull it off. No one really cares about the FX etc, it’s the mechanics and having something comparable to commercial. Closet thing to most games people have played SF/KOF etc. “Competitive mugen” like MOBIKELEGEND is always saying. Have to overcome that diversity, Hardcore/Casual. Make it hardcore I say, or teach/instruct those whom are not as.

I think you may be confusing me for someone else, I have never coded an SP. I have just been chipping away at learning to code my own characters, and as mentioned, eventually a fullgame. I have no desire to try and do a PoTS fullgame, mostly because I lack the expertise to do such characters, and I don't want to use Memo's template as a stopgap because there is a lot of nuance to the gameplay of the characters that I'm seeing lost in translation when people apply them to a template. When I have the expertise, I may tackle it, but thats far off. I do actually play fighting games, so I would love to help test and develop such a fullgame.
#14  June 19, 2019, 10:44:16 am
    • USA
Nope, I was suggesting you all getting together to work on a compilation or full game. I was saying, you don't really have to worry about a SP as there are many. I see various users with the same end goal, it'd only make sense. As far as templates go etc, none of that really matters as it'll only help you learn one way or another. You don't seem like a casual, as some of these others, why I suggested it. Code is only one component, the more you know about fighting games, the better you'll be at this, at least imo, for making something like this. I mean everyone wants a "balanced" roster, have most if not similar rosters etc. Could be a good change of pace around here, something active and ongoing. Idk why that MGF SF game fell through, something like that is what this place needs.
#15  June 19, 2019, 08:26:10 pm
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil
Nope, I was suggesting you all getting together to work on a compilation or full game. I was saying, you don't really have to worry about a SP as there are many. I see various users with the same end goal, it'd only make sense. As far as templates go etc, none of that really matters as it'll only help you learn one way or another. You don't seem like a casual, as some of these others, why I suggested it. Code is only one component, the more you know about fighting games, the better you'll be at this, at least imo, for making something like this. I mean everyone wants a "balanced" roster, have most if not similar rosters etc. Could be a good change of pace around here, something active and ongoing. Idk why that MGF SF game fell through, something like that is what this place needs.

Good words man.

In my opinion, in Mugen, all wants have a good a balanced game, in type of graphic and gameplay. The POTS style have various chars, and because of this, much people like this style and search for more and more chars in this style. It's a good form to make a personal Mugen like an original game.

For example, I like very much of ADD004, but, in my copilation I don't use this because is more easy download char, put in Mugen, edit a big and small portraits with sprites of the char and done.  Is more easy, sample, and the POTS chars is good to make this.
Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:32:06 pm by Akito
#16  June 19, 2019, 09:18:22 pm
    • USA
You all just want “consistency” as you say, it’d be easier to start with something that already has some foundation. It’s not necessarily the FX and all that, had something else been more common, accessible, more been made similar to it, you’d likely have the same result. You don’t seek to “mimic, copy, etc” you simply do your best to expand on it the best you can, at times with our limited abilities.

Not everyone is hardcore, a shame many of you have been discouraged to do anything as you fear that stigma, failure, feel as though anything you do would be inadequate to that invisible standard. The common thing seems to be, “if you don’t know what you are doing, don’t bother” so kudos to you all who have stepped up and actually tried to do something despite this. I’m sure 9/10 of you are self taught, no one teaches this, docs you go.

You as well Akito, you used to request characters all the time lol now you know the joy of creation, you can make anything you want. Learning is fun isn’t it? Long story short, you guys can do it, you should do it! Lol

Sidebar
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

#17  June 20, 2019, 01:18:34 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
I don't necessarily care for the pots trend, but in terms of consistency the best creators are fairly close. It's easier to study pots' code as opposed to a game because the source is freely available and doesn't require data mining knowledge. The only thing standing in the way of a good pots style character is just experience.

It's boring and a creative desert, but at least we're no longer in the age of horrible IMT MvC2 characters.
#18  June 20, 2019, 03:41:40 am
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil

You as well Akito, you used to request characters all the time lol now you know the joy of creation, you can make anything you want. Learning is fun isn’t it? Long story short, you guys can do it, you should do it! Lol

Offtopic:

Hey, do not get me wrong. At that time, I only asked for their chars because I found their pattern very dynamic, and also because I wanted to increase the options of my personal rooster. But over time the need to do something of mine was increasing, and that's when I came up with the idea of ​​doing my own char, and from that point I learned a lot more. And I agree that it's a lot of fun to create your own content, regardless of whether it's char, stage or whatever.

Before that, I had done graphic work on several projects, because outside of Mugen I'm Graphic Designer, so that's my strong point, even with sprites editing (different from Color Separation, because I really do not like to mess with it ). Other than that, I'm studying about code within Mugen, and gradually I was able to produce my own char, and I intend to evolve even more, gradually. But I'm not interested in doing more full chars, the last one I intend to do is to be Julia (Akito's girlfriend) and after that I just want to work with Edits, like RagingRowen.

On-topic:

The POTS style became popular at the time when the MVC chars were the biggest interest of the players overall, and I was one of them. I still remember when Phantom Of The Server was building this gameplay, and the first char that would be made was SVC's Zero, with palette adaptation and transparency effects on the lightsaber (yes, I knew the Phantom of The Server, he is Portuguese) and I think nobody but me knows this, because if I look for some old CD here, I must have this char, in alpha version. I would test some chars for him, asking for opinions.

After that he made even more progress with the creation of this style, but in addition to the MVC chars, there were also Warusaki chars with a groove system that overshadowed the POTS style, making him gain notoriety only several years later.

I'm glad I played a part in this story, and I feel a little sad, because I wanted Phantom Of The Server to be an active creator, making me wonder if he knows his style is so popular around here. This is one of the reasons that also make me like the POTS style, although it's a personal matter.