YesNoOk

New Dragonball Super Series (Read 1554914 times)

Started by Omega, April 28, 2015, 02:37:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: New Dragonball Super Series
#2021  January 07, 2018, 05:15:28 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Not for nothing, Kefla gave us something different.  She did go for the regular massive beam (Two, actually), but it was in conjunction with the rest of the whole desperation move.  She more went for shooting little lasers in every direction instead of focusing on one really large beam in front.  And they avoided the beam struggle in a very neat way.  For all the issues Caulifla, Kale and Kefla each present, they also try to do something different and enjoyable, so I still enjoy them probably the most out of what Super's given thus far. (Also working on making up for Pan helps)  Now if we could just do something about that emotional disconnect to unlocking Saiyan forms for them and get some actual freaking time in Universe 6 to develop these characters.

I gotta agree, though, Blue not just sunk its own hype, it brought down everything the revival of Dragon Ball with Battle of Gods came up with.  Really should have just stuck with the red haired form simply being a Saiyan God, unrelated to the Super Saiyan line.  Then called the Blue form Super Saiyan God, if you even want to throw something on top of that, though it kind of isn't needed any more.  Like Gohan going Super Saiyan after his potential was unlocked.
#2022  January 07, 2018, 05:29:40 am
Yeah, I really liked Kefla's variations, but at the very end it was still one person firing a beam and the other shooting his own beam in the first one's face. They did use UI pretty well to get there, but even they had to come out and say that instinct dodging alone wouldn't get him anywhere so he had to consciously prepare a beam to finish her. So they know that unconsciously dodging punches can't actually win on its own, and until they actually give us something for an attack form of it and they don't just go with "he's stronger now so he hits harder duh", I'm not expecting anything meaningful.

Calling the red form Super Saiyan God was definitely to play off the confusion with the whole idea of the Legendary Super Saiyan (as the legend, I mean), which was funny enough, but they really should have come out and resolved it as God form being a different legend than the Super Saiyan legend. It would have made it easier to insist that any living being is theoretically able to reach God Ki. But I'm not sure it would have changed much, even the Blue form in the F movie was already just power levels and completely ditched the concept of being one with the energy of the universe (which was a really nice loop all the way back to the concept of the Genkidama... a technique of the gods). Even fucking Toriyama joked about it by going back to giving Golden Freeza a new numbered power level with a shitload of zeros.
(also I do suppose that a blue form is easier on the eyes than a permanent red form, actually, I'm not sure seeing Goku and Vegeta all red all the time would be too easy on the eyes, but that's just cosmetics)

There would still be a way to get out of this mess, since they're still repeating that Goku is always looking for power, trying to get stronger - if they had the balls to scold him for that and say that he completely missed the point when *Goku* made the God/Blue forms about power. Jiren might have been doing a bit of that on Vegeta just now (and Goku when saying he's looking for something "beyond power" maybe ?). But you just know there's no way in hell that's what they're setting things up for.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:25:36 pm by Byakko
#2023  January 07, 2018, 05:41:56 am
I really liked this episode, the animation was crazy as well.
#2024  January 07, 2018, 05:49:00 am
    • USA
Funny, in my opinion on cosmetics, the blue hair just ruins the look.  You get used to it by now, however long its been since its reveal, but the golden hair just sold the look on Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, whoever used it.  And while we were all expecting some sort of golden SSJ4 Safer Sephiroth Broly fusion look out of Super Saiyan God, the slimed down body, reddish-pink tinted base hair with red colored SSJ3 eyes looked really nice.  Granted, I would not have been against reworking the SSJ4 form then into something golden, but I just happen to also really enjoy SSJ4 and what we got was fine.  But Blue is....just literally Super Saiyan, but blue.

It's like Superman without the red tights; too much blue on the outfit.
#2025  January 07, 2018, 10:15:24 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
If you check the last picture of the new ending song, vegeta eyes have gained pupils, I guess his new form is not UI but some sort of UI eyes. Developing UI in a complete different direction from goku, instead of dodging he gets to read everything?
#2026  January 07, 2018, 11:19:19 pm
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
/\ This makes the idea of Vegeta having the "Offensive" U.Instinct and Goku having the "Defensive" U.Instinct gain more sense now.

While Goku has a calm, defensive and "zen" minded Ultra Instinct, Vegeta could get a full offensive, extremely focused mind and destructive Ultra Instinct.

And maybe, MAYBE, having a possibility of Vegetto returning to have a final showdown with Jiren in the last minute of the tournament
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#2027  January 08, 2018, 04:55:30 am
A good watch for the detailed art in this ep
#2028  January 14, 2018, 04:00:32 pm
Hey hey hey, next week's preview is jumping ahead a bit, is Toppo finally getting thrown off for Gohan to just join Freeza like that ? You can assume it's a sacrifice from #17 as planned since he's also gone, but the preview is just dismissing it a bit easily.
Anyway those were actually nice fight scenes this week. Strategy and all. And Vegeta hasn't shat the bed yet so that's always nice.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#2029  January 14, 2018, 05:43:26 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I might have missed it but did they name the form at all?
#2030  January 14, 2018, 05:54:33 pm
    • USA
I haven't seen a name tagged to it yet, official or not.  Just been referring to it as Super Saiyan Bluer, myself.
#2031  January 14, 2018, 06:01:28 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Royal blue!
Cyan vegeta
Vegeta "I blue myself" Briefs
#2032  January 14, 2018, 06:04:14 pm
its probably named super saiyan god super saiyan super saiyan god grade 3.5.
#2033  January 14, 2018, 06:37:27 pm
    • Germany
Super Vegeta... Blue ö.ö
#2034  January 14, 2018, 06:46:13 pm
    • USA
So remind me, those Destruco Discs that Goku threw around were canonically still unstoppable until this episode, able to cut through anything?  We had them not work on Cell in the anime, of course, but that was handwaved as filler, and they don't insta-kill in the games because, well, duh, it wouldn't be much of a game then.

The specifics of a number of things in this arc alone have been questionable.  I still find everyone damaging the arena, made of a magically reinforced Katchin, the strongest material in all the universes, hilarious.  But this one might be a retcon, so just clarifying.
#2035  January 14, 2018, 06:49:40 pm
canonically still unstoppable until this episode
They still aren't. Remember this is still the anime.
Also technically he only grabbed one, he didn't tank it, there's a difference because grabbing a blade with your bare hand without getting cut is indeed a real thing. Not like that, of course, but it's an anime.
About the arena itself, when it's apparently so easy to destroy, I don't know why no one has dug a hole to pull an enemy through the arena to the bottom and out. I'm pretty sure they already forgot what it was made of anyway.
"I blue myself"
I understood that reference.jpg
Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:52:59 pm by Byakko
#2036  January 14, 2018, 06:52:12 pm
    • USA
But the anime is being produced first, thus would be the canon source, no?  It goes by order of what's oldest unless specifically called out by the company as a retcon.
#2037  January 14, 2018, 06:53:51 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
IIRC the script is written first that the manga follows to a T but the anime takes some liberties
#2038  January 14, 2018, 06:54:53 pm
    • USA
Oh.  Well, ok then.
#2039  January 14, 2018, 06:56:07 pm
Canon is what the author wrote. Toei has always been the one making fillers.
The manga doesn't exactly "follow it to a T" either. For starters, the script they get is apparently not necessarily always detailed (read "the script just says they fight and Goku wins") so at times, both the manga and the anime have to fill in the blanks. And Toyotaro has straight up said that sometimes he takes a bit of inspiration from what the anime did for specific added details (but he doesn't follow that to a T either, most of the time he makes it better), and sometimes he himself also takes some liberty if he thinks he can elaborate on something Toriyama didn't bother talking about - for one, I'm sure Goku trying to learn "Hakai" in the manga is Toyo trying to build up on something that'll come later, but wasn't actually said in the script since Toei completely flew past it. And he's probably free to make his own filler, but given the gap with the anime, he probably shouldn't waste time on that. The only time I remember him doing it is the extra Trunks chapter just before Trunks left, the one where they played video games, and it was for some special festival or whatever that was.
And then of course we don't know to what extent Toyo follows something the anime did that wasn't in the script. For example, the way Zamasu tore up space with a scythe was too weird and random to be straight from Toriyama since that went nowhere, and Toyotaro still used a form of that but a bit less weird (IIRC), but the way Zamasu took over the fabric of the universe led to the decision that this universe was doomed, so it's probably what the script said.

edit - yeah, it's from the Toriyama/Toyotaro interview in volume 4.
Toyotaro explains how sometimes he just has to make the story go from point A to point B, like he just had to get to a point where Goku and Zamasu fight, and he got to make each character relevant (even Gowasu) in the middle to get there however he wanted, he says he goes off script a bit when he does that, he adds extra problems so that Goku doesn't get there in perfect conditions. He gives specific examples of things that were all him, like Trunks having trained under Shin (the healing power), and actually showing red Vegeta. He says the Mafuba part was in the script, but Vegeto wasn't - and also, he had to wait to be told it was OK to do it... Which is weird, it's unclear if he did that before or after the anime did it. Maybe they both take from each other in a writer's chat, if Toei even cares for that ?
Anyway he also says that Toriyama reads Toyotaro's suggestions and makes other changes on top of that, so at this point, if you want a canon, it's definitely not the anime.
Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:29:57 pm by Byakko
#2040  January 14, 2018, 09:37:41 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
remember guys, more forms = more toys.