Started by #Shaun, June 09, 2008, 07:44:26 am
Share this topic:
Nigger
#1  June 09, 2008, 07:44:26 am
  • corner push pusher
I think it's only fair that I make this public

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=81445.0

#mugen said:
<RobertTheSmall> Wait Shaun, how come people can't use the N-Word but your totally cool with other racial slurs?
<shoon> im not comfortable with any slur 
<shoon> to be honest
<RobertTheSmall> I've seen Spic, and others thrown around
<RobertTheSmall> but nothing has been done
<shoon> im punishing his stupidity 
<shoon> he deliberatley knew what he was doing
<shoon> and the core of it all,
<RobertTheSmall> He wasn't doing it maliciously, he was just... being stupid, I guess
<shoon> it was a shameless attack 
<RobertTheSmall> Dunno the guys record
<shoon> this has been one hell of a week
<RobertTheSmall> Okay yeah never mind it was Mighty Kombat
<RobertTheSmall> disregard that whole thing
<shoon> it seems like almost every user thats been reported has tried their damndest to defend their usage of stupidity because "its the internet"
-----------------------
<shoon> <RobertTheSmall> I've seen Spic, and others thrown around but nothing has been done
<shoon> does it offend you
<shoon> or does it offend you that "nigger" is targeted moreso than anything else
<RobertTheSmall> The latter
<shoon> well as i said i dont particuarly like any of it being used
<shoon> but
<shoon> im not a dictator
<shoon> and whether you like it or not nigger carries the most weight out of the rest
<shoon> its a risky game in trying to be playful when using it
<shoon> in mightykombat's case, it was no joke. just....fucking stupid. horrifically shameful
<shoon> if you disagree feel free to bring it up in the politics/morals topic. surprised no one's bothered at all
<RobertTheSmall> Really, it isn't a big enough topic for me to care as much as if people were to get banned over it
<RobertTheSmall> Its just the color of the skin and race you affilliate yourself with
<RobertTheSmall> but there is only one human race
<shoon> you obviously have some issue with it tho
<shoon> better to be heard then to keep quiet but, w/e
<RobertTheSmall> I have issues with doublestandards when it comes with people getting banned over it, but I digress
<shoon> well unless you want to voice it publically youll just have to deal with that mindset then
<RobertTheSmall> I'll deal with it, I suppose
<Titiln> did someone get banned for saying nigger
<RobertTheSmall> http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=81445.msg693049#msg693049 Kinda
<shoon> what do you think
<Titiln> his profile doesnt say banned
<shoon> the fuck?
<shoon> b-list says something else
<Titiln> yeah
<Titiln> but you set no triggers for it
<shoon> youre fixing it arent you
<shoon> because hes not listed anymore
<Titiln> yeah i deleted that ban
<Titiln> i'm going over his post history right now
<shoon> well,
<shoon> i dont really need to explain myself why i made the ban. just scroll up
<shoon> or read the post i guess
<Titiln> nigger carries more weight than other racial slurs how
<shoon> ...
<shoon> because out of most its the most delicate. 
<shoon> you dont have to be black to know that. thats just how it is
<Titiln> okay then
<shoon> i made the move to have him realize just how incredibly stupid it was
<shoon> i.e., my post
<shoon> so where does he stand then
<Titiln> unbanned, i'm sending him a private message about it
<shoon> alright
<Titiln> the ichigo topic can go since it only takes up space
<shoon> yeah i planned on that
<shoon> i had it up just for the incident alone
<shoon> i may make this chatlog public though. some clarification is needed
<Titiln> nah not really he's a shitposter nobody cares about
<Titiln> but go ahead if you think it's necessary
<shoon> in the senes of the n-word i think it should
<shoon> i was going to trash the topic but nvm
<Titiln> what he did was just tasteless
<Titiln> anyone that goes around posting FUCK YOU FUCKING *racial slur* should be banned no question about it
<shoon> so why unban then
<Titiln> because he didn't really mean it
<Titiln> i'm just giving him a chance

rambling of my case...its 1:40am
=========================
Alright....so, it doesn't matter what I say to some people - most here have the mindset that I'll ban someone saying the word nigger on-site. Wrong. Realize that I made the ban (which is now lifted) due to the pure idiocy and tastelessness behind the attack. Attacking someone here by calling them a nigger may be no worse than saying spic or some other slur to some of your (I personally don't see it that way)....it's just that nigger is the one that has the most strain, anchors the most weight. You don't have to agree with it but it is, inconsequently, the truth.

Fun is fun, jokes is jokes. In the case of MightyKombat, it was beyond stupid and nonsensical.

Some are probably wondering why I get bent out of shape so easily on issues like this....well, it's probably because I don't boast the excuse of this "being the internet" to be as beligerent/radical as I possibly can. IMO just because you're online doesn't mean you should just turn off the part of your brain that enables common sense and respect socially/racially. Yeah, different strokes for different folks but...it's pretty schizophrenic to cast aside your sense of morality you live up to offline while online.
Re: Nigger
#2  June 09, 2008, 07:57:32 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
IMHO it all comes down to this: either he picked that meme knowing that Uchiha2727's black, or quoting memes in an attempt to sound funny/cool just backfired on him.
First would get him banned no doubt about it, but the other... is just something we get all the time.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#3  June 09, 2008, 07:59:58 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Quoting a meme, WRONG LOCATION NIGGER is a meme, but only done right when it is a photoshopped image.

NSFW, obviously.
#4  June 09, 2008, 08:02:34 am
there's no way to do it right
#5  June 09, 2008, 08:05:14 am
  • corner push pusher
Something that most don't understand or care about.
#6  June 09, 2008, 10:00:54 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Requesting the ban of meme's cos they're all fucking stupid.  ::)

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#7  June 09, 2008, 02:45:53 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
Yeah, the case for a ban here isn't particularly strong given that most matters around here are decided by precedents.
#8  June 09, 2008, 04:29:36 pm
    • Germany

Say "Heeey, Nigger Guy!"
#9  June 09, 2008, 04:45:08 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I agree with Robert on double race standars being fairly offensive, it's the same with random select and their jew double standar.
#10  June 09, 2008, 05:55:43 pm
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
I agree with Robert on double race standars being fairly offensive, it's the same with random select and their jew double standar.
wait since im a jew does that mean im protected at RS?
Shades 2 site:Shades of Manhattan
#11  June 09, 2008, 06:10:49 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
No, but you did just give the community more ammo against you.
#12  June 09, 2008, 06:13:36 pm
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
#13  June 09, 2008, 06:16:40 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
No Laxxe we still hate you despite race.

As for the double standard thing, yeah that got discussed after [E] left, and it was a screwup. It ended up easier to ignore "nigger" when you had a black guy around you desentizing the heck out of the word though.
Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:20:58 pm by Kung_Fu_Man
#14  June 09, 2008, 06:20:22 pm
  • SNK is life
... or skin color :D

#15  June 09, 2008, 06:20:57 pm
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
#16  June 09, 2008, 06:28:45 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
GET BACK IN THE OVEN LAXXE !

I mean, yeah, I had to left the channel at halfway in the chat.
#17  June 09, 2008, 06:29:39 pm
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
#18  June 09, 2008, 08:46:43 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
dear god how many jews are in the mugen community

also racial slurs should be ignored on the same level that profanity is largely ignored here.

hjk

#19  June 09, 2008, 08:54:26 pm
  • Watch my fro grow as you go, go, go, go, go.
    • Afghanistan
Realize that I made the ban (which is now lifted) due to the pure idiocy and tastelessness behind the attack.
Well see to ban him would mean that you would have to ban like a sixth of the community.

Attacking someone here by calling them a nigger may be no worse than saying spic or some other slur to some of your (I personally don't see it that way)....it's just that nigger is the one that has the most strain, anchors the most weight. You don't have to agree with it but it is, inconsequently, the truth.
Yes, and No. It really does depend on who you are. Yes, that word does deal directly with slavery, but with us in the modern day, it all breaks even in terms of how offensive it is (I mean the level of offense people take will always be the same).
Although I wouldn't go as far as to say it outweighs the others, I will say it is by far the most used/posted and that is something that I do get annoyed/pissed at, whether joking or not.

Some are probably wondering why I get bent out of shape so easily on issues like this....well, it's probably because I don't boast the excuse of this "being the internet" to be as beligerent/radical as I possibly can. IMO just because you're online doesn't mean you should just turn off the part of your brain that enables common sense and respect socially/racially. Yeah, different strokes for different folks but...it's pretty schizophrenic to cast aside your sense of morality you live up to offline while online.
I agree.
LOL, Caddie's the man!! ;)

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)
hjk vs. 99% of MFG. I will win.

RIP Poo Bear Tell my Dead Homie isson, for the year my partner.
#20  June 09, 2008, 08:57:16 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
There is a small detail that most niggas seem to be ignored there, outside of the usa nigga has no negative connoctations, but rather, it only describes a person whose skin is dark. The world is know because either the person listens to rap or because nigga sounds a lot like black in their native language.