YesNoOk

Computer won't boot, but mobo receives current (Read 1553 times)

Started by ESFAndy011, November 16, 2016, 04:46:21 pm
Share this topic:
Computer won't boot, but mobo receives current
#1  November 16, 2016, 04:46:21 pm
    • Peru
Yep, every time I make a thread about troubles with my computer it just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Basically, here's the deal: I plug it in and the LED light on the motherboard is on. I push the button and nothing happens. The fans don't even feel like spinning. I have tried replacing the RAM, nothing. I have tried resetting CMOS, still nothing. I reseated the jumpers, nothing. I reseated all the power supply cables on the mobo and disks, along with the SATA cables, still nothing. I have cleaned up the CPU and replaced its thermal paste, still nothing.

I'm thinking it's one of two things: The chipset on the motherboard, or the processor, but I don't feel like wasting money potentially getting both just to discard.

So it's not the PSU, it's not the RAM, and the CMOS has been reset. Any thoughts?
Millie, "Ozy and Millie" said:
"I think there are really three types of people: "Glass is half-full" sorts of people, "Glass is half-empty" sorts of people,
and people who will spit into the glass until that's fixed."
Re: Computer won't boot, but mobo receives current
#2  November 16, 2016, 04:58:48 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Maybe the button is broken, have you considered taking it to a repair shop?
Re: Computer won't boot, but mobo receives current
New #3  November 16, 2016, 05:12:03 pm
    • Peru
I swapped the jumpers around so that the reset button would act as the power button, but still no luck. And yes, I've considered it, but I'm one of those stubborn people who want to do it themselves.

EDIT/UPDATE: I pulled the mobo out of the case and put it on top of a box. I hooked up the PSU cable on the motherboard and tried the old screwdriver trick with the power pins and... it worked (wait for it). And then it turned itself off because I didn't connect the 4-pin CPU cable /facedesk. I turned off the PSU, pulled the power cord, connected the 4-pin cable, turned the power on, tried the screwdriver and... no dice. Turns out, from what I can gather here based on multiple attempts with the screwdriver, it only works sometimes when the 4-pin cable is out, but that could just be a coincidence. In the meantime, the shit-eating LED is still trolling me.

So... chipset or processor? Also, would the mobo actually benefit from an isopropyl alcohol bath? I am seeing dirt here that I didn't have much luck cleaning off, particularly around some capacitors.
Millie, "Ozy and Millie" said:
"I think there are really three types of people: "Glass is half-full" sorts of people, "Glass is half-empty" sorts of people,
and people who will spit into the glass until that's fixed."
Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:30:46 pm by ESFAndy011