YesNoOk

VERY easy way to remove edges of images (photoshop) (Read 5164 times)

Started by dabadking, February 28, 2010, 05:25:43 am
Share this topic:
VERY easy way to remove edges of images (photoshop)
#1  February 28, 2010, 05:25:43 am
Ok... people may know about this.... or they may not... i taught myself photoshop so hopefully this will help people as much as it did me (I just found out about it after YEARS (since PS7) of doing it MANUALLY! ... and yes i feel stupid >.>

do you hate it when you try to add a character into mugen and you get the stupid TINY outlines of white or black or whatever, only to have to use the polygonal lasso tool to remove it your self after you get rid of most of the rest? .... yeah well thats how ive felt about it too..... it used to take me 20-30 minutes PER picture depending on size of photo to do it... now takes LESS than 30 seconds!

yes, less than lol...

1). Magic wand tool, and highlight all the junk you want to remove, and remove it

2). if theres crap left over... leave the selection on what was just deleted (or reselect the empty space since its deleted...

3). go to select (on the menu with file edit view etc)

4). click on modify (may be different in photoshops previous to CS4)
4a). Click on border (expand works as well but border seems to work better a lot of the time).

5). choose the pixels you want to remove (i typically choose 2, as it expands your selection by one pixel each direction)

6). after you click on ok, hit delete....

7). DONE!!

and of course if your anything like me... you'll be slapping yourself for ALL the wasted time up to that point ... omg i must have spent MONTHS longer than i needed because of that ..... see what happened when you're SELF taught? XD

Hope this helps someone and even if it is "common knowledge" .... it sure wasnt to ME! lol
Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:49:56 am by dabadking
Re: VERY easy way to remove edges of images (photoshop)
#2  February 28, 2010, 08:19:11 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
I usually take the magic wand and adjust the tolerance, in my opinion, it works better (turn on/off Anti-alias, depending on your needs).

Also, wrong section, it would fit more in the Graphics or the Tips, Tricks, Tutorials section.
My shitty mugen stuff:
Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:32:59 pm by Anjel
#3  March 01, 2010, 12:48:06 am
Sorry yeah tips and tricks woulda worked better but, i was in a hurry and just saw guides lol.

tolerance helps a lot but this is more geared towards mugen in a sense... like if i highlight all the pink and i get a TINY strip of white around the edges that is NOT contiguous... it would drive me nuts...so tolerance wouldnt help because white and pink arent even close... and if you uncheck contiguous... then you may get ALL the white (including parts of the character) ... so adjusting the border of your selection by 2 pixels kills all the white "Fuzzys" without messing up the rest :)

EDIT: added step 4a in the tip
#4  March 16, 2010, 01:14:59 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
is this for char select portrait?

my tip is after using magic wand or polygonal lasso tool which I prefer over magic wand, go to select, then modify,  then contract by 1 pixel (try 1 pixel first)

then right click on the selected area and layer via cut
#5  October 20, 2010, 10:37:31 am
Soz for Necro

But i wanted to thank you becos i've been needing this kind of help for ages i hate having like 9 different shades of pink bordering my sprites or having 2 make em grayscale just 2 avoid this  :sugoi:

GOH

#6  October 20, 2010, 12:15:01 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
This is very useful. I use GIMP but these tips help anyway. Thanks.