YesNoOk

Jango's Luxury Fullgame (Read 3814 times)

Started by Jango, May 18, 2012, 02:00:14 pm

Poll

Which of these mechanics would work well in this game

Revival
1 (9.1%)
Guts Stance
3 (27.3%)
Both
2 (18.2%)
None
1 (9.1%)
Check it out, I brought some chicks for the club
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Re: Jango's Luxury Fullgame
#21  October 26, 2012, 09:00:57 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Breaking news, everyone! Super Mario (aka Bob Hoskins Mario) is officially confirmed!
    \

* Jangie Boogie pulls the Slowpoke off the desk

See this is what Pokeballs are for.

I know everyone knows about this already, but BHM is a real thing that will happen. Me and Seanalty are currently in the pre-planning phase, planning out his moves, and if MDD ever answers his damn PM's, he's on too (seeing how he helped me turn a one-off joke into a real thing).

At the moment, he will play more of a keepaway character, setting traps and emphasizing indirectly attacking (think Mariah from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure). And naturally, he will have one of the most notorious weapons in the movie, the De-evolution Gun. How it is used should be obvious to anyone that is familiar with Alessi (again, from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), except instead of turning into kids, they turn into apes. (this will so likely end up being the second hardest thing to code in the game, save for a midboss who is a secret at the moment)

Obviously making a template ape would be easier than making them on a per-character basis (except for Terezi, who will obviously turn into a grub, and a potential robot who will most likely be L-Biss from Kakuge Yaro, who would turn into a smaller robot), but it would be nice to add personal touches per char. Plus, if he gets released publically outside of the game (most likely), it would be fun to have an optional standard people can mess with.

Okay now for the big question I haven't touched on. Stages.

Obviously the easiest course of action would be to use the source games' stages, but that would look sloppy and create problems with the original chars (Terezi and BHM at the moment).

I'm still trying to figure out the style. After playing Pokemon BW2, I think 2D sprites on a pseudo 3D background would look sharp, so probably stages made up with 3D elements and parallax. Hell I might make use of textures from other games and make stages out of them (Since all the characters got pulled of their universe randomly, why not pull the stages out randomly too?). So for example, you might get a Chrono Trigger stage in there made out of elements of the game but redone to look 3D-ish.

Of course I'm down for opinions here. That was just something I was thinking.

Posted: October 26, 2012, 12:45:45 pm
also updated the story but not the roster or anything else
Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:45:24 am by Dr. Jango
Revivals and You
#22  January 15, 2013, 11:45:55 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
So I've been on an OSU!! KARATEBU kick lately (been reading the manga scanlations, just bought a used copy of the Super Famicon game off of eBay), and it ocurred to me that the game has some interesting features that aren't common in fighting games that I want to incorporate. And they ALL have to do with super bar management.

These names are tentative, I will probably come up with better terms.

Might as well start with the most radical.

Revival
This is something I haven't attempted, and to my knowledge, no other fighting game outside of OKB uses it. OKB does not have a round system. Rather, whenever you get KO'ed and you have at least 50% of your super meter left, you can mash buttons to revive yourself to get half of whatever super meter you sacrificed back as health. So, for example, if I have a maxed out super meter when I get knocked out, I can potentially get half of my lifebar back. There are limits of course. Revival won't work if you have less than 20% of your meter, nor will it work if you've already revived yourself twice.

I don't want to put this in just because it's cool and I like it, but I'd argue that it forces the player to alter their fighting style based on how they manage their super meter. For example, if you play recklessly and fire off supers a lot, you could potentially screw your chances of reviving. At the same time, if you try to keep your super meter up, you limit what attacks you can use and make it easier to get attacked.

This next one isn't as big a deal, but it's a complementary technique that ties into gaining super.

Guts Stance
If you were one of the five people who downloaded my Takagi (one of them being SBZ who said it was the most boring character he's ever used in his life), you may be familiar with me dabbling in this concept. Basically, when you hold back to block, you can press another button to go into an intimidating stance. This will slowly charge up super on its own, but if you get hit, you will get a massive boost in meter. There is of course a downside in that you will take more damage than if you just blocked it, and you will take block damage from basic attacks.

Again, these are unusual system mechanics you don't normally see, so I thought it would be interesting to incorporate. Lemme know what you think!
Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:51:25 am by Dr. Jango
#23  January 15, 2013, 04:44:07 pm
  • SNK is life
The concept of Guts Stance sounds like a less complicated equivalent of the Focus Attack -> Revenge/Ultra Gauge in SF4 ... but you don't gain your life back, which is a risky trade-off. You'd be trading life for meter, clear as day.

Then, if Revival is ALSO included, you'd be managing life and meter all the time. You sacrifice Life to get Meter ... to get life back later on? :S You should keep one of those only.

Don't mean to undermine your originality, and sorry for comparing to SF4, but they already made it work, and this looks like it still has kinks to work out. Just saiyan.

#24  January 15, 2013, 08:16:53 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
WELL my thing about the two in tandem is that you have more chances to actually use super outside of reviving yourself, which is what I hope people would try to use Guts Stance for. I'll take that into consideration though.

I should note, however, that OKB does have something like a Focus Attack, the differences being that you expend super to use it (up to about half) and you're not invulnerable, but yoi do a good amount of damage and knock the opponent into the wall. While it's nowhere near as good as Focus Attack, it was one of the system features that encouraged you to risk losing super to keep the opponent away.
#25  January 15, 2013, 10:35:26 pm
  • SNK is life
... so that sounds like ALPHA COUNTER, or GUARD CANCEL. Does it work similar to those concepts?
#26  January 15, 2013, 10:59:27 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
No, because you can do that maneuver freely provided you have enough super.

Although since you brought it up (another coincidence woah), OKB has a funky counter system. You block like normal, but if you hit an attack button just before the opponent's move makes contact, you negate their attack and hit them with a weak counter-attack (doesn't cost super or anything). It's a neat feature but it's rarely used because OKB's framerate is pretty bad and will throw off your timing a lot.