YesNoOk

Battle of Gods: Organized Religion Discussion (Read 28783 times)

Started by Chronan, November 14, 2017, 11:11:59 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Battle of Gods: Organized Religion Discussion
#201  November 22, 2017, 06:36:08 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I hope you’re not talking to me. I’m not atheist.
#202  November 22, 2017, 07:04:03 pm
    • Germany
You’re probably right.

Another quick concern, The Oldest Biblical text is only 2700 years old.. but modern humans have been around for 200,000 years. 6 million years if you include early ancestors. So did everyone before the Biblical text just go straight to hell!?

This might just be me but wouldn’t it make more sense to practice the oldest known religion, if you’re going to practice one?

The oldes religion, would be the one from Babylon with Gilgamesh and Tiamat and all this stuff right?
#203  November 22, 2017, 07:17:39 pm
Oldest one that we have written records of, yeah, the Sumerian creation myth. Otherwise it's safe to assume that there was a religion in places like Göbekli Tepe and Çatal Höyük and it's much older than Sumer. Sumer is just the oldest civilization with a written language, and then there's the earliest "version" of unified Egypt that only had ideograms (not written language) that developed in the same era as Uruk.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:32:16 pm by Byakko
#204  November 22, 2017, 07:41:08 pm
well there's one written story older than the sumerians forgot the name of it but i'll look it up later,  but i remember it is older than ziusudra and atra hasis and both are older than the epic of gilgamesh, in-fact the epic of gilgamesh borrowed a lot from those two and ziusudra and atra hasis was both a copy of that story. so basically the 3 stories that influenced the book of genesis are actually copies from previous stories too.
#205  November 22, 2017, 07:49:05 pm
A lot of things in the Bible is copied from other stuff. Creation of man from mud by God, then that man learning to be human at the hands of a woman ? Enkidu in the Epic of Gilgamesh.
The Epic of Gilgamesh referenced the flood stories of Utnapishtim/Ziusudra/Atrahasi, but the Sumerian creation myth isn't the Epic of Gilgamesh. And both of them as we know them today are simply a compilation of older texts that already existed at the time anyway, but we have temples dedicated to the gods in these stories that are older than the stories as we know them, so we can have a decent idea of how old they really are.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:52:27 pm by Byakko
#206  November 22, 2017, 07:52:47 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org

semi-relevant
#207  November 22, 2017, 08:03:29 pm
kinda feels like the epic of gilgamesh is a digest version with more action and sex.
#208  November 22, 2017, 11:00:37 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I hope you’re not talking to me. I’m not atheist.

If that's so then I genuinely can't guess what you're trying to accomplish with this smirking condescension act you're putting on.  My apologies if that's not what you're going for, but you really sound like you're just trying to bait people into defending religion so you can make fun of them.
#209  November 23, 2017, 03:19:11 am
    • USA
In all honesty I have no plans to make fun of anyone. I am posting a few things to get people thinking, I do post a lot of things in the form of a question so maybe that's what is making you think that. Or maybe you are offended that I am talking light heartedly about the stories like they are "stories".

My latest posts are just plot holes. People point those out if they read a book or watch a movie.

Quick explanation of my views:
-There is no proof there is a God or Gods.
-There is no proof there isn't a God or Gods.

#210  November 23, 2017, 03:56:51 am
    • USA
That's actually pretty in line with my own philosophy, actually.  Apatheism, they call it.

And I'm not offended, it's just that you were coming off kind of dismissive and patronizing when it didn't really seem like that was necessary.  Again, sorry if I misread the intent.

#211  November 23, 2017, 04:25:02 am
    • USA
I appreciate you pointing it out to me. That may be an unattractive part of my personality showing through, I can work on that.

I don’t like to claim Apatheism. Many people assume that I don’t care if there is or isn’t a God(s) when I use that title. I really do care, I just like to look at in a scientific way.
#212  November 23, 2017, 04:37:12 am
    • USA
That's fair.  The way I see it, the existence or lack thereof of any deity is something that, by nature, can never be categorically proven and so there's nothing to really be gained by deliberating the point.  If there's not a god, then nothing about our day-to-day life actually changes anyway.  If there is a god, then we're dealing with a being who exists on a scale so far beyond our capacity of understanding that there's no conceivable way we could even begin to understand them or what they expect from us, so again nothing changes.
#213  November 23, 2017, 05:44:49 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
That's fair.  The way I see it, the existence or lack thereof of any deity is something that, by nature, can never be categorically proven and so there's nothing to really be gained by deliberating the point.  If there's not a god, then nothing about our day-to-day life actually changes anyway.  If there is a god, then we're dealing with a being who exists on a scale so far beyond our capacity of understanding that there's no conceivable way we could even begin to understand them or what they expect from us, so again nothing changes.

This all the way, I really do love how people don't want to step on people's toes, but they also want to show some things about religion and many things surrounding it. It's just all in the matter of how thick your skin is, because you have to have it when it comes to the internet.
#214  November 26, 2017, 12:26:53 pm
  • Democracy is non-negotiable.
  • coding nearly done, supers and AI left.
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/melcore?fan_landing=true&view_as=public
#215  November 26, 2017, 03:30:57 pm
each soul is only 21grams of data of course it would fit.

holy fuck i understand this reference

Also I disagree with the idea that the existence of God is fundamentally unprovable. Depending on your parameters it could be currently unprovable, but not fundamentally. It depends on how you define 'God'. There's always going to be some claims attached to what God actually is, and if you can show that the universe is inconsistent with those claims, you have your proof.

You can't show 'X does not exist', but you can show that it is impossible for X to exist if the claims come into conflict with the facts, if that makes sense.
Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:35:38 pm by Snakebyte
#216  November 26, 2017, 03:57:40 pm

GDM

#217  November 26, 2017, 04:59:04 pm
  • I'm not trolling
Now I could be wrong on a few things

The way you are acting Vgames isn't very christian like. Despite the fact homosexuality is a problem you must still love them instead of condemn them. I'm christian myself but I choose to respect everyone and everything despite what beliefs they have. Why because it's the right thing to do. I may not be perfect and there are things I'm still learning about. Also I've sinned a few times from saying profanities or lying but I still try to atone and do the right thing. From what it sounds like Vgames is that either you are forcing people to accept your beliefs or in your words they are liberals,, naive, or PC and don't understand anything.

Organized Religion as a whole have became corrupted and I won't deny that yeah almost every religion have put non believers to death or worse but times have changed. Peace may not be possible but we can still make a difference and help out those in need if those want to accept Christ then kudos to them. If not then still be a kind person to them same with your enemies. I believe some religions also state love your enemies as well.
Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:06:32 pm by GDM
#218  November 26, 2017, 06:39:31 pm
    • USA

GDM

#219  November 26, 2017, 07:11:40 pm
  • I'm not trolling
what I meant is while most religions  or the bible said issues about homosexuality doesnt mean you should treat those with same sex relations like garbage
my apologies not explaining it clearly
Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 07:18:11 pm by GDM