YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] Z2 Sprite thread (Read 1071695 times)

Started by AlexSin, October 14, 2012, 11:57:57 am
Re: [Theme Thread] Z2 Sprite thread
#961  December 05, 2016, 01:36:06 pm
  • im that one lazy guy
Before you worry too much about the shading - work on your models proportion and structure. Don't be afraid to rework those outlines and give your model more of its own design. For a first attempt it's good.

I'd suggest you do some tracing/line work, at least a few times a day, or as often as you can. You need a solid foundation before you build upon it.

Thanks a lot, i did this sprite because i was bored, but now i feel like i'm actually gonna try and improve. I didn't use fighter factory or photoshop to make it - i used ms paint.
I know quite a few artists who still use ms paint to pull off some amazing animations, and Sprite work. So you're moving in the right direction, regardless. Work one step at a time.

Edit:
Two programs I like to use whenever I'm doing linework, or shading - I use either "Gimp" or "Graphic Gale" for pixel artwork. They're both extremely useful for starters who wanna get a nice edge. Try them out, and see how you like them..! :yes:

Alright, i downloaded them both, 'bout to try them out!
-insert signature here-
#962  December 05, 2016, 09:37:36 pm
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
Great! I'd love to see your improvements, as time passes..! I'm Glad to help.
#963  December 08, 2016, 06:13:28 pm
  • im that one lazy guy

Kira Yoshikage Z2...!
-insert signature here-
#964  December 08, 2016, 07:58:34 pm
  • Great Mind - Improving Skills
  • Low Level raising his power!
    • Skype - andersonscarecrow

Kira Yoshikage Z2...!

I'm no expert, but I noticed tons of mistakes and things you can improve.
 1. Notice the outliner color. You used colors too dark for the edges. In his hair and tie, it's literally black. Don't do that, use a darker color similar to the one of what it's outlining.
 2. His feet and proportions look really bad too. Look at his arm, it almost look likes its plastic. You need to be careful when doing proportions, it's one of the most important things in the sprite.
 3. The sprite has almost no shading. Especially not Z2 shading. Look at his pants, face and arms. The shading comes from multiple directions ( forward, up and nowhere ) and it looks weird as hell.
If I can suggest you some things that will help you is using other sprites as reference to where you're going. When you're spriting, constantly check Balthazar's sprites ( in that position, I'd keep checking the poses of the Z Warriors while standing up, like Goku or Piccolo's Neck Snap animation ) for reference for the shading and overall appearance.
Just some things that you need to work on, spriting takes time and I suck as well at doing it. 

HQ

#965  December 08, 2016, 08:10:18 pm
"Z2"

The sprite has no connection to Z2 style. Not the size, not the shading, not even the resolution. Pls post it somewhere else.

If you want to learn how to sprite open up tutorials like this one http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_almighty_grass_tile.php, look at anatomy and other sprites :) Don't get demotivated and practice practice practice
#966  December 08, 2016, 08:18:11 pm
  • im that one lazy guy

Kira Yoshikage Z2...!

I'm no expert, but I noticed tons of mistakes and things you can improve.
 1. Notice the outliner color. You used colors too dark for the edges. In his hair and tie, it's literally black. Don't do that, use a darker color similar to the one of what it's outlining.
 2. His feet and proportions look really bad too. Look at his arm, it almost look likes its plastic. You need to be careful when doing proportions, it's one of the most important things in the sprite.
 3. The sprite has almost no shading. Especially not Z2 shading. Look at his pants, face and arms. The shading comes from multiple directions ( forward, up and nowhere ) and it looks weird as hell.
If I can suggest you some things that will help you is using other sprites as reference to where you're going. When you're spriting, constantly check Balthazar's sprites ( in that position, I'd keep checking the poses of the Z Warriors while standing up, like Goku or Piccolo's Neck Snap animation ) for reference for the shading and overall appearance.
Just some things that you need to work on, spriting takes time and I suck as well at doing it. 

Oh! I didn't notice all those mistakes. I'll fix it when i get time - I sorta rushed this one. I made the legs longer on purpose if that's what you mean. As for the shading, i really dont know how to shade if the lightsource is right from above, i'll look at some of Balth's sprites so i can learn that.
"Z2"

The sprite has no connection to Z2 style. Not the size, not the shading, not even the resolution. Pls post it somewhere else.

If you want to learn how to sprite open up tutorials like this one http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_almighty_grass_tile.php, look at anatomy and other sprites :) Don't get demotivated and practice practice practice

Yeah. I know. But im trying to learn the style and that's why i put it here. Im doing this as some sort of hobby for now and i got school so thats why i can't improve fast.
-insert signature here-
Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:48:56 pm by Huskyninjaguy
#967  December 08, 2016, 09:08:17 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Yeah. I know. But im trying to learn the style and that's why i put it here.

If it doesn't go with the style or even remotely look like it, then it shouldn't be here regardless.

A better idea is to make your own thread in the Graphics board. There you can put whatever you want (graphics-related) and get feedback for it.

These kinds of them threads are for more polished/finished works. Of course you have the occasional wip work but for the most part, its meant to showcase more finished works. And said works have to be very much in line with the theme, which yours isn't in this case.
This is a generic forum signature.
Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:12:30 pm by Hatter
#968  December 08, 2016, 09:13:37 pm
  • im that one lazy guy
Ok then.  I'm fixing it right now. Hopefully it'll be alright.
-insert signature here-
#969  December 08, 2016, 09:46:26 pm
I thought Z2 Thread was only for DBZ sprites ^^
#970  December 08, 2016, 09:54:31 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
Well, not necessarily. You just have to get the style right:

(Both sprites made by Sabockee)

Shit
#971  December 08, 2016, 10:06:05 pm
  • im that one lazy guy
I just gotta say, those two are REALLY COOL.
-insert signature here-
#972  December 09, 2016, 12:34:30 am
  • im that one lazy guy

Better?
-insert signature here-
#973  December 09, 2016, 12:37:11 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
No.

It still suffers from the same problems that was described above, and it still looks nothing like Z2.

Also how about not ignoring this and actually do it:

make your own thread in the Graphics board. There you can put whatever you want (graphics-related) and get feedback for it.

EDIT: Also, have a look at what Yoshikage would look like in this style:

^ by Barker.
This is a generic forum signature.
Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:40:54 am by Hatter
#974  December 09, 2016, 12:44:18 am
    • Argentina
I don't think that sprite is Z2 style, Hatter ^
#975  December 09, 2016, 12:53:04 am
  • im that one lazy guy
No.

It still suffers from the same problems that was described above, and it still looks nothing like Z2.

Also how about not ignoring this and actually do it:

make your own thread in the Graphics board. There you can put whatever you want (graphics-related) and get feedback for it.

EDIT: Also, have a look at what Yoshikage would look like in this style:

^ by Barker.

Yeah. Barker's sprite is what originally made me make the sprite. However this is what he would look like on the select screen, not during gameplay. I understand my sprite needs work but that's all i can do for now and i am only looking for feedback, i'm not expecting you to love it. As for my own thread - naw. I only do this as a time waster when i'm bored and if you don't want me to post here there's no reason for me to post at all. Don't take this as an insult though, i'm just saying what i think.
-insert signature here-
Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:42:00 am by Huskyninjaguy
#976  December 09, 2016, 03:17:19 am
  • Getting better, still a long way to go
    • UK
#977  December 09, 2016, 04:25:30 am
  • Live with a burning passion!
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
#978  December 09, 2016, 04:34:26 am
  • Live with a burning passion!
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
Huskyninjaguy,
Take a quick look at this Jojo character I did:

While it isn't just Hol, my point stands, major alterations need to be made to  proportions, shading and overall style to fit the Z2 style.
#979  December 09, 2016, 10:35:03 am
  • im that one lazy guy
Huskyninjaguy,
Take a quick look at this Jojo character I did:

While it isn't just Hol, my point stands, major alterations need to be made to  proportions, shading and overall style to fit the Z2 style.

I see.
-insert signature here-
#980  December 09, 2016, 04:23:47 pm
  • I'm behind you!!!
Akuma or Scorpion would look pretty awesome in this style