YesNoOk

Best and Worst Choices for Rosters (Read 237368 times)

Started by EveryonesKouhai, March 11, 2016, 05:47:09 am
Share this topic:

lui

Re: Best and Worst Choices for Rosters
#61  March 13, 2016, 01:02:51 am
    • USA
that would remove the entire point of midnight bliss, thus removing demitri's defining feature, take that out and he's just another shoto.

it's also the reason why im putting off demitri in our project for now, i would have to sprite a midnight bliss for the marvel reps first if i included him.
#62  March 13, 2016, 01:03:45 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
the entire game itself is an ad for Nintendo products.

All of Smash is basically one giant Nintendo ad? Maybe it first started out that way, but not at this point. Smash is so successful now, it's basically it's own ad.

lui

#63  March 13, 2016, 01:05:44 am
    • USA
any type of crossover is an ad for their other products, nintendo's IP's benefitted greatly from Smash and do well on their own.

the only exception i would give this to is KoF since that actually became more successful than its source material.
#64  March 13, 2016, 01:09:41 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Why are people still surprised at Bayonetta? Did everyone forget you-know-who in Brawl?

lui

#65  March 13, 2016, 01:11:05 am
    • USA
people are still surprised that snake made it in brawl to this day so i dont know why youre asking that question
#66  March 13, 2016, 01:14:58 am
    • Mexico
@Titiln
I DO dislike Lucina (she's X-23 gone terribly wrong to me), but I don't hate clones that much, mostly just Sakurai's analogy on them (because I'm from the ones who are allowed to choose whether or not to get a desset with an extra charge instead of having it shoved). Plus, Roy was very requested, even if he had so many detractors.

And regarding that SourceGaming poll:
Bayonetta: Number 27.
Corrin: Number 116
Cloud: Number 155
Bayonetta wasn't that much of an "unexpected" character, people ruled her out because they thought they wouldn't allow an M-rated character in, but she wasn't something fully unexpected, at least where I know.
Both Corrin and Cloud are below Top 100, people would still say "who asked for this character?" to them.
#67  March 13, 2016, 07:00:32 am
    • USA
    • thelivewire48@gmail.com
DBFC(All versions):
Worst: Asuna/Kirito/Yuuki (most of the other series only had one rep as playable characters, and while some would eventually get another rep, sao got 2 right off the bat), Kirino(god I can't even begin why, she's basically like the phoenix wright of this game. It also doesn't help that the anime she's in was so awful.)
Best: Tatsuya Shiba(this guy was so op in the anime and they regulated him to an assist character in the first version, glad he made it on the roster though), Emi Yusa(because who doesn't love the devil is a part timer),

lui

#68  March 13, 2016, 07:43:57 am
    • USA
you do realize that dengeki bunko not put any characters from SAO, which is one of their best-selling series, in a game that's meant for being an ad for Dengeki Novels, which they need to sell, would be really stupid right?
#69  March 13, 2016, 08:08:13 am
    • USA
    • thelivewire48@gmail.com
My grievance with sao was that they had 2 playable reps to begin with while everyone else had 1. if they had done to sao what they did with irregular and magical index, which was start with one character and then bring in another rep from the series, I would've been ok with that.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#70  March 13, 2016, 08:40:19 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
there is no real tactful way to handle fire emblem in smash that would please all parties (considering some hate the idea of fire emblem chars in general). i wouldve axed lucina and roy for just robin and corrin. if they had to include one of them, roy. and if they had to include a standalone female fire emblem character i would've much preferred lyndis but most people don't know who the fuck she is. marth and ike alone are unique characters and so are robin and corrin so they all work. in my ideal world they would've done marth/ike/robin/corrin/a female rep that isn't a marth clone.

roy is still cool though. i don't think lucina fills much purpose, they should've really mixed up her gameplay more than "lol no tippers"
#71  March 13, 2016, 05:35:49 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Fire Emblem is such a strange thing in smash. There is definitely no shortage of FE characters to choose from with various styles to depict, yet I believe the circumstances regarding the series is the reason we got what we got. Let me try to explain with what we got in Smash 4.

- Marth is the first FE protagonist. He started the series, he's not going anywhere.
- I'm certain Ike was remembered more for his Brawl appearance than his actual games. He wouldn't be around if they weren't released around roughly the same time. The fact that he brings a significantly unique style with him certainly helps him return.
- Robin and Lucina are Awakening characters. You know, the game that brought FE from the dead. Of course they're in Smash.
- Roy came back due to fan demand and by fan demand, I mean the people that only know him from Melee and not his game.
- We all know Corrin is an obvious ad, just like Roy was back in Melee.

As for why we didn't get any other FE character, the answer is simply that they honestly aren't that memorable. Remember that the series was dying and Awakening is what brought it back. Most people don't know any FE character that wasn't in Smash or Awakening.
#72  March 13, 2016, 07:57:06 pm
  • The Goddess Returns
corrin is the most diverse fire emblem rep in there, i don't understand why people hate him simply because he's from fire emblem, that's a dumb way to argue why he's bad, if anything he's a breath of fresh air when it comes to the FE reps.

I'm not surprised at his inclusion in Smash 4, yes he's marketing, and so was Marth and Roy in Melee, the entire game itself is an ad for Nintendo products, this is how game companies work, if they want to promote something they do it in a product that is extremely popular, which isn't always a bad thing.

Honestly what would be the best breath of fresh air for Fire Emblem reps is to stop adding in memorable Lords and add in other people from different classes(or atleast different weapon styles).
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#73  March 14, 2016, 12:36:33 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Personally, just lump Lucina into a Marth palette choice like Alph to Olimar.  Since they started changing Roy, continue on that until there's barely any similarities to Marth.  And add that Lyn girl that's been in since Melee I think in the background, trophy or summon since then to fill in Lucina's missing place and cut any further ties with Fire Emblem additions.  More than enough to fill whatever role they fit for Nintendo now.

But personal best and worst additions that recently come to mind, not in any particularly logical reasoning or order...

Smash 4

Best: Link, my most played.  Very simple to use, probably more-so than Mario to me.  While OoT was great, been really happy they kept to the Twilight Princess Link and skipped Skyward Sword.  Though next game, lets move on to Zelda Wii U, yeah?
Olimar, my favorite to manage to get included.  I'm a big Pikmin fan, but never really pictured Olimar would be included, seeing how little he even does.  And while I'm not particularly good with him, the way they implemented him makes me happy.
Ness, my favorite to play.  Not quite canon to Earthbound, but so satisfying to win with Ness.  Also Earthbound and Ness in general is a great game and character.
Samus.  My favorite Nintendo character and probably video game character in general.  The Other M version is a certain downer, but they got creative with the colors.  Though if they could manage Wario in his color-swapped Mario outfit and the ZSS stuff, maybe have actual Dark Suit, Light Suit and Phazon absorbing ones?  Or just the Power Suit minus Varia?  Looks aside, while she could use some boosts she's still fun and simple enough to play.
Worst: Bayonetta.  I've given her game and her Smash appearance a try, and I still can't stand her as a character, nor am I particularly fond of her playstyle in Smash.  She makes a good punching bag though.
Zero Suit Samus.  Because why bother adding other Metroid character when you can lose the suit, add weapons and things she doesn't have in Metroid and call it a day?  Granted she's an actual good character, but her inclusion always will bother me.  Also damn jet high heels.  You do not wear jet high heels inside a suit of battle armor with their own set of jet boots on the bottom of it as well.  Also you're a giant.  And, like, supposed to represent ambiguity.
Lucario.  Mostly bias for trying to be the Mewtwo replacement, but I really don't like playing as him either.  The mechanic is neat, but he feels so slow to me.  Also not a big fan of the character's design.

Mortal Kombat X
Best: Scorpion.  Love his design, love his story, always enjoy playing the ninja equivalent to SF's Ryu.
Baraka.  Less important to the story, but the general of team evil's always going to be cool to play, and the super-Wolverine claws are awesome.
Tri-Borg.  Awesome execution to keep the cyborgs around.  Worst name, though.  And he refers to himself as it, it's not just a title for the player to call him.  Ugh.
Worst: Cassie Cage.  Good to try out making new character, but god is she an annoying fan-fic fueled brat.  Selfie Fatality is funny, but beyond that I can't really stand her.

Dissidia Final Fantasy
Best: Not a particularly fair assessment without playing it, but just favorites would be those I know and enjoy what their gameplay shows.  So Warrior of Light, Firion, Cloud, Squall and Lightning.
Worst: Tidus.  Total bias in that I never liked Tidus to begin with.
Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:43:09 am by Long John Killer
#74  March 14, 2016, 06:39:17 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
corrin is the most diverse fire emblem rep in there, i don't understand why people hate him simply because he's from fire emblem, that's a dumb way to argue why he's bad, if anything he's a breath of fresh air when it comes to the FE reps.

I'm not surprised at his inclusion in Smash 4, yes he's marketing, and so was Marth and Roy in Melee, the entire game itself is an ad for Nintendo products, this is how game companies work, if they want to promote something they do it in a product that is extremely popular, which isn't always a bad thing.

Honestly what would be the best breath of fresh air for Fire Emblem reps is to stop adding in memorable Lords and add in other people from different classes(or atleast different weapon styles).
adding in some random mook with an axe or lance isn't going to have the same impact/advertisement potential really.

people who like lucina and cop awakening get to see lots of lucina. people who like corrin get to see lots of corrin in fates. its a good selling point. most recruits in the entire series get about a chapter of influence in the story, and some support convos.

lui

#75  March 14, 2016, 06:49:24 am
    • USA
if only tharja was in smash for all them waifu lovers out there
#76  March 14, 2016, 06:59:38 am
that's what they're doing though, robin uses a lot of magic and corrin mostly transforms
#77  March 14, 2016, 03:00:48 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
I tought this topic was about fighting games, why people keep talking about Smash?
#78  March 14, 2016, 08:19:57 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Well, I DID say it was a stretch...

Also, for worst choices, T. Hawk in New Challengers. I hate T. Hawk...
#79  March 15, 2016, 12:52:00 am
Ken being ugly in SFV. Absolutely game-killing.

Contrarily, 3s has a proper, handsome Ken and it is my favorite SF game.
#80  March 15, 2016, 06:44:48 am
I tought this topic was about fighting games, why people keep talking about Smash?
because it gets lumped with traditional fighting games (fighting game tournaments, websites, this forum) and the sooner you accept this the better