YesNoOk

Reality (Read 6696 times)

Started by Jango, September 11, 2008, 07:49:22 am
Share this topic:
Re: Reality
#41  September 12, 2008, 11:48:14 pm
we born alone, we die alone.
Speak for yourself, I'll take the whole world with me when I die .\/.

sounds like ego revenge

many experiencers tell that with entheogens like dmt or psylocybin the most present danger is death by astonishment (first of the ego, that could lead to even a physical one by latter suicides). That seems related with being aware that, what we think we are under normal circumstances is by far a lie created by ourselves just to protect the ego, of ourselves, of our real power. You are not your ego, though, you are not yourself, if you choose to be your ego, though; sounds funnily redundant. 

the reality defined by the ego is the filter the ego needs to survive in a "outside reality" (objetive one maybe) wich can cause that death, by astonishment. I think is like instead feeling yourself like you do in normal everyday circumstances, you ego feels reduced to the size of an atom, for example. You feels reduced to the size of an atom: your perception enlarges to the size of the entire universe simply because u are aware your awareness took a framepoint of reference (called in this example "an atom") from wich to look outside. The distance between your normal ego and your "atom ego perception" is a motion (thing mentioned earlier by the OP) wich can cause you to change forever, and make a pretty interesting travel when u try to narrate it, when u try to get that out from yourself and sharing the experience with the other fellow similars, in this particular case, other human beings.

Well, just thinking about that.
Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:11:57 am by Deoxyan
#42  September 12, 2008, 11:53:48 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
That reminds me of my biology teacher back in junior high. It was around 1994, thus some people would believe that the world was going to end in 2000; he told us that the end of the world was going to happen when he died, as the world would end for him once that happened.
#43  September 12, 2008, 11:57:28 pm
That reminds me of my biology teacher back in junior high. It was around 1994, thus some people would believe that the world was going to end in 2000; he told us that the end of the world was going to happen when he died, as the world would end for him once that happened.

pretty much right when we talk about subjetive reality.
#44  September 13, 2008, 12:03:19 am
  • SNK is life
we born alone, we die alone.
Speak for yourself, I'll take the whole world with me when I die .\/.
I've seen videos of your martial arts training, I believe you can take some four or five guys :P
#45  September 13, 2008, 12:19:44 am
what jango said in his first post defining reality seems pretty much right i think.

He thinks reality could not be a simple mess of motions, but it is indeed. Motion or Emotion?, what was first?, just to make us hesitants. You aren´t even your emotions, as i said earlier you are NOT your ego, or , err, maybe you are, depends haha. Emotions are part of the perceptions, part of the landscape, so to speak.

I think it is because there is a message there in the observation of the evidence to be taken or refused: Yours is the responsability of creating sense, or not, to what you experiences. Your life is yours to create.

Without that responsability, we are powerless, that´s why we are pretty much condemned to fail when we search for fancy flashy happy emotional Logical uplifting answers to our questions that ultimately dissapoint us, is there any point then in feeling dissapointed?, is another emotion wich gives us to motion ourselves. We are in charge, no other thing, being, or whatever you imagine, of our own power to create.

I want to point as a sidenote that Logic is an emotion, no one noticed that?. You think of something, then, you look at your brain expecting his emotional response, yes, the emotional response of the brain, and then u say "oh yess, this sounds logical, this feels logical, it does have sense, coherence" . Sounds logical?, feels logical?, have sense?, think about it for a moment. Not much of a breakdown.

The prize for being truly gods in the full significance of the word (all of us, you like it, or not, your opinion is just irrelevant) is to be killed by yourself if you look at yourself at the eyes with the complete light of the truth that you signify unconditionally.

Usually egos are created and defended as an evasion of that responsability by degrees.

Who hates certain responsabilities?, all of us, surely, that´s why we need egos, to some degree or another.

Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 02:44:19 am by Deoxyan
#46  September 14, 2008, 03:31:31 am
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
Accusare nemo se debet nisi coram Veridis
DYNOMITE
#47  September 14, 2008, 04:03:32 am
  • I got a PM.
I figured it out a least in my country. It's the shit that democrats and republicans can't agree on.

OZ

#48  September 14, 2008, 04:09:28 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
Ding-ding.
ಠ_ಠ
#49  September 14, 2008, 03:38:15 pm
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#50  September 14, 2008, 05:19:55 pm
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
#51  September 14, 2008, 08:17:37 pm
-> To the French topic, Batman !
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#52  October 10, 2008, 09:27:35 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Everybody can agree on personal reality, I think; that it's... err, personal and all that. I like the variant "Your focus determines your reality" best.

what the most basic principle of "Reality" was.

Change. I believe the most basic and perhaps most defining principle of reality is change.

Well, the most basic principle of reality might be motion or some even more basic thing, but motion is already too intangible a term to really work with for my taste.

Saying reality is things in motion sounds kinda abstract and does not have quite the impact of saying reality is change. Change is less scientific, people can better relate to it, and it does a better job of getting the point and its implications across.

People are more likely to ask, "Okay if reality is only a collection of motions---well, okay but is that really saying anything? What does it mean, what are the consequences, how does that affect my life?"

Change is more graspable, with direct implications.

Spoiler: change (click to see content)

PS: subjective vs. objective?

Fritz Leiber, Our Lady Of Darkness (1978) said:
"I make no distinction whatever between reality and fantasy, or the objective and the subjective. All life and all awareness are ultimately one, including intensest pain and death itself. Not all the play need please us, and ends are never comforting. Some things fit together harmoniously and beautifully and startingly with thrilling discords—those are true—and some do not, and those are merely bad art."
XD

"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:31:02 pm by Sepp
#53  October 10, 2008, 09:52:28 pm
  • SNK is life
Last post: September 14, 2008

Boy, its the longest you've taken to come up with a reply, but at least it was worth the research :P
#54  October 10, 2008, 10:01:28 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
September? At least since April! (Link to a Reality post from April in my private unfinished-posts thread.)
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#55  October 11, 2008, 03:28:47 am
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
The general idea is that reality is the sum of a combination of motions and motions resulting from them. Thus it is perfectly acceptable to say that non-living objects are part of this. The argument here (which you may not agree with) is that one can see human emotions as following the same rules, and thus being a complex extension of physics.

How do the non-tangable secondary qualities fit into this?

This discussion reminds me of Descarte and the realm of the forms.
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S
#56  October 11, 2008, 03:46:23 am
    • Germany
..I'm pretty sure all of you are just figments of my imagination :P
#57  October 11, 2008, 03:51:39 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
do you have a snow globe by any chance
#58  October 11, 2008, 04:47:17 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Reality is what you make it. I believe that's the original quote. Being online gaming is a form of reality. Sleeping and dreaming is a form of reality.

Whatever you think of as real to you is instantly reality. Other people do not actually have to agree that what you're talking about is reality. To you it's real and part of your own existence therefore it's reality.

Hallucinations for eg. They're real to you. Just because other people can't see them doesn't mean you're NOT seeing them. Just means that in another persons reality they're not there.

You know, after reading reality too much it begins to look like a very stupid word.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#59  October 11, 2008, 09:09:17 am
Everything is real from that perspective.

The problem in defining things as "non-real" is the fear of being considered nuts by the rest of the people, traditionally, when you claim that something non empirically probable is real.

it could feel like an stupid word indeed, because under a perspective like yours, in wich general consensus is not the goal (the opposite of wich this thread seems to have been created), it don´t really matters because your relativity is the creator, not other persons opinions.

Then, the original intent of the creator of this thread is to create another academic truth. By being academic, just mean trying it to be objetive, but very unrealistic at the same time. Unless institutions change to the point of considering relativity not just an Einstein´s mathematical framework of reference for an specifical task.
#60  October 11, 2008, 09:18:57 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Anything which is real is reality

seriously