YesNoOk

Hires Chars (analysis and images) (Read 31528 times)

Started by AlesRos, March 09, 2018, 03:15:43 am
Share this topic:
Hires Chars (analysis and images)
#1  March 09, 2018, 03:15:43 am
    • Brazil
I'm doing some tests about Hires characters and seeing if it's really worth it.

it's a bit difficult and time-consuming process to turn a char low-res into hires but with the next Fighter Factory I believe will become easier.

Some can say that the difference is minimal but I'm really enjoying the result.

In the example below I applied the XBRz 4x filter using Image Resizer software

EDIT: New image with HIRES Mai

My mugen is at 850 x 480 resolution (yes, not 1280 x 720) and chars with localcoord 427 (less pixelated results)

And here is a comparison between diferent filters

Original vs XBR 4x filter <NoBlend> vs XBRz 4x

Oh yes, I forgot to say that Vanity Paradise stage is Hires too
Art by Ilya Kuvshinov - Illustrator and Story Artist http://kuvshinov-ilya.deviantart.com/ - http://kuvshinov-ilya.tumblr.com/
Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:33:50 pm by AlesRos
Re: Hires Chars (analysis and images)
#2  March 09, 2018, 03:59:38 am
this looks very bad,  take a look at mai's left hand  on the far left you can see her individual fingers on the far right its just a blurry mess. When you apply a shitty filter like that you just lower the sprites's quality. Its different in emu's not to mention they have blurring mugen does not.
#3  March 09, 2018, 04:17:47 am
    • Brazil
this looks very bad,  take a look at mai's left hand  on the far left you can see her individual fingers on the far right its just a blurry mess. When you apply a shitty filter like that you just lower the sprites's quality. Its different in emu's not to mention they have blurring mugen does not.

So, are you saying that this

Is better than this

?

(Oh Christ...  :rolleyes5:)

Yea, just no. My eyes just hurt with the first sprite.
And you can not expect miracles considering that the hires sprites are not done manually.

But I'll respect your opinion. That's fine.

really cool! i'm just wondering how many characters will u turn into hi-res

By now I'm just testing.
I'm waiting for the new Fighter Factory because surelly the converting process will become easier with the new version. (I hope  ;D)
Art by Ilya Kuvshinov - Illustrator and Story Artist http://kuvshinov-ilya.deviantart.com/ - http://kuvshinov-ilya.tumblr.com/
Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:21:32 am by AlesRos
#4  March 09, 2018, 04:19:56 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Yeah, the lo-res sprite looks better.  I'm not really digging this conversion attempt, not even when it was done to KFM.  The only way to do lo-res sprites into hi-res is to do an HD remix and redraw all the sprites from scratch, which is even more time consuming and probably not worth it in the end.  Just leave them lo-res, they're fine enough like that.
#5  March 09, 2018, 04:34:34 am
much better, 2nd one is a mess. you're just used to emu's. keep playing it like it is or just use reshade you will get the emu look from it :)

Just dug up one of my old screenshots. its still not ideal, but if u like the 2xSai-ish look it will get the job done.
Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:37:53 am by PeXXeR
#6  March 09, 2018, 05:02:27 am
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
Honestly? To me; The type of filter you seem to be using looks more like something that could be useful for those Background pictures that are not large enough for HD and a simple resize wouldn't help.

Like a 1280x720 scenery image that would need to be 1980x1080+ resolution to have more space in a HD stage.
#7  March 09, 2018, 05:04:44 am
  • Niigasan
i think the hi res sprites look beautiful in game but mai sprite all huge like that it doesnt look good. but i assume it looks good in game.
#8  March 09, 2018, 12:12:20 pm
    • Brazil
those look really good, man.
if every CVS character in my MUGEN was like that, it would look so much better hehe
#9  March 09, 2018, 01:39:44 pm
it looks bad. Reshade with decent scanlines implementation looks a lot better and can be done on the fly without characters patching. The first thing I would do with such “hi-res” character is recreating SFF file from scratch using original sprites. So yeah, thanks but no thanks.

edit. I think you simply don't appreciate the pixel art for what it is. Check out this article: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/
Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:55:58 pm by K4thos
#10  March 09, 2018, 02:00:37 pm
    • Brazil
Reshade with decent scanlines implementation looks a lot better and can be done on the fly without characters patching.

could you elaborate on that? I'm not familiar
#11  March 09, 2018, 02:05:58 pm
  • $-$**Dreaming**$-$
    • South Korea
    • https://blog.naver.com/PostList.naver?blogId=blood72&from=postList&categoryNo=159
ugh, I know its personal preference but i hate those super eagle xbrz4x 2xsal or whatever you call them type filters.
IMO those are useless if you are trying to achieve a "hires" effect - all they are doing is applying smearing/edge smoothing onto square pixels.
In mugen terms, I always thought "hi-res" specifically refers to the resolution of 640x480 instead of low-res 320x240 - why they call that a Hires filter is beyond me. . .
#12  March 09, 2018, 05:06:44 pm
    • Brazil
Yeah, the lo-res sprite looks better.  I'm not really digging this conversion attempt, not even when it was done to KFM.  The only way to do lo-res sprites into hi-res is to do an HD remix and redraw all the sprites from scratch, which is even more time consuming and probably not worth it in the end.  Just leave them lo-res, they're fine enough like that.

Hi Baby Bonnie Hood, you look so nice in Hires...

And the dog now is small  ;D

i think the hi res sprites look beautiful in game but mai sprite all huge like that it doesnt look good. but i assume it looks good in game.

Here we go...

those look really good, man.
if every CVS character in my MUGEN was like that, it would look so much better hehe

Its a fact. I'm just waiting for the new Fighter Factory and the party will start  ;D

Reshade with decent scanlines implementation looks a lot better and can be done on the fly without characters patching.

I have no idea what are you talking about. What kind of reshade is this?
Maybe this? http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/reshade-work-mugen-1-1-scanlinesfxaa-ect--168895.0.html

If you're referring to the ENB (used in Skyrim / Fallout and other games) I've already tested it and the difference is not as great as using the filter (image resizer).

But I must admit, I like scanlines effect.
If I am not wrong we had this in the old versions of mugen and it was very cool. Unfortunately it does not exist in 1.1 and I also failed to make the effect work with the reshade. It would be nice if someone would send me the files with the scanline applied or teach me how to set it up correctly.

IMO those are useless if you are trying to achieve a "hires" effect - all they are doing is applying smearing/edge smoothing onto square pixels.
In mugen terms, I always thought "hi-res" specifically refers to the resolution of 640x480 instead of low-res 320x240 - why they call that a Hires filter is beyond me. . .

I do not know the right answer because I did not create the first char of this type. This process has already been done for some time and if I'm not wrong Kung Fu Man in 1.1 has a similar effect. Is not something "new".

I understand that the "HD" name (High Definition in this case) is for chars already created/made in high resolution because in fact, they have more definition. KOFXIII chars for example.
And for old chars (Marvel vs Capcom, Capcom vs Snk, Street Fighter Alpha series, etc) they always call "Low-Res"

I can't call them High Definition after the filter because they were not created in "high definition" and in fact, the filter does not leave them in high definition. We can not see Mai breasts better. We can not see Mai hair with more details. That's not possible. What we see in general are the pixels leaving.

The filter only doubles the resolution by applying an effect. I think the "term" Hires is fine because after the effect you have High Resolution only (4x in that case). Definition? No, this was never the goal.

You know what... I have no idea what the hell i'm talking anymore...
#13  March 14, 2018, 05:52:14 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Filtered sprites really don't look all that good.  It also makes weird, thick outlines on some sprites.  And seriously, no defined mouth on Mai?  Actually, really looking at it, she looks like a blowup doll with that very small "hole" where her mouth should be.

They do need to be redrawn in hires to look much better.  When scaled down in size these filtered sprites look okay, but normal sized . . . they look like watercolor art, or that brushstroke kind of art that Van Gogh has done.
#14  March 16, 2018, 02:07:35 pm
    • Brazil
    • iaramongtg@gmail.com
    • www.facebook.com/groups/MugenDownloadLinksAndShareRamonGarcia
In my opinion is better HI-RES the sprites  {offcurse is not perfect, but maybe we found a new way to convert the sprites easy with better results, using other program etc, but now this is what us know about convert to HI-RES]

And now that i learn how to convert to HI-RES, i will try convert the chars that i always want see in Hi-RES. And when i finish i will share with everyone :)
:bison: IF YOU WANT SOME SPECIFIC CHAR IN HI-RES=FILTERED SPRITES SEND ME A MESSAGE IN MY E-MAIL WITH THE LINK OF CHAR THAT I CONVERT TO HI-RES (Observation is a very cheap price :yes: and the result is very good]. Here is my e-mail: iaramongtg@gmail.com :bison:

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ramongtg
And If you want Suport me / Encourage me, donate here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=89HXL726XVEFG&source=url :bison:
#15  March 18, 2018, 02:23:31 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
For me, while I prefer the classic pixel-y low-res sprites, I will like either low or high res sprites as long as they are done well.

The Felicia, Rimika, and Maki in the OP are examples of Hi Res done well. That Mai is an example of Hi Res that wasn't done well. Even in the game, it looks off.

Of course, Low res pixel-y sprites are easier to modify to a decent degree in any picture-editing program, so that is another reason why I prefer them over hi-res.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#16  March 18, 2018, 10:11:56 pm
  • I am a little editor of pixel art
    • Brazil
    • felipexavier.stuart@gmail.com
Wearing my Glasses:

Taking my Glasses off:

I don't like such "HD filter" because the pixels create visual impressions that those filtes doesn't.

As a Pixel artist, I can say:
This is a HD Sprite
https://youtu.be/i47F6w8jaL4
Hand Made, detailed by the artist.

Those filters distort most of the sprites... Thigs that you can see on original image simply disappear.
You can dislike the squares, I'm not against that, just try to not use those "shortcuts" they don't improve anything. Take the sprite, resize, paint the details, make a true hi-definition...
#17  March 18, 2018, 10:36:04 pm
  • Rurouni Fan
  • The dream is nothing yet drive us to the end.
    • www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaWlQGjKyJWoXxMR8nrea7P4R9C0JnA-_
Wearing my Glasses:

Taking my Glasses off:

HAHA! Pretty much that.

You can call it "hi-res" as much as you want, but it isn't hi-res at all.
It's just a filtered low-re sprite - hey it's obvious, but some people still stubborn about it. The the loss of detail is exactly the opposite of what a sprite hi-res is by itself.
One day someone will rip the Inuyasha stages... Not today nor tomorrow, probably not even in this decade. But you know, someday... :')

Did you play the new
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#18  March 19, 2018, 01:17:30 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Wearing my Glasses:

Taking my Glasses off:

HAHA! Pretty much that.

You can call it "hi-res" as much as you want, but it isn't hi-res at all.
It's just a filtered low-re sprite - hey it's obvious, but some people still stubborn about it. The the loss of detail is exactly the opposite of what a sprite hi-res is by itself.

Yea, it's pretty much just smudging the sprite. A example of a low rez sprite made hd properly would be this

It might not be the best but certainly better than the smudge filter the people claim is "HD"
#19  March 19, 2018, 01:55:35 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I’ve seen these threads pop up a few times over the years and they all go pretty much the same way... Majority of people(here) don’t see these filtered characters as an improvement and prefer hires sprites that were made hires from the start, not resized and filtered.

That shouldn’t stop you from making sprites like this. There are people that enjoy them and these sprites do look about as good as filtered sprites can look. Who knows maybe someone will touch them up by hand eventually.
Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:58:52 am by ink
#20  March 19, 2018, 12:35:21 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I’ve seen these threads pop up a few times over the years and they all go pretty much the same way... Majority of people(here) don’t see these filtered characters as an improvement and prefer hires sprites that were made hires from the start, not resized and filtered.

I am one of such people. I really think that sprites made with the intention of being hi-res produces better sprites than filtering low-res ones. In fact, if one does not need such large sprites, one can shrink hi-res ones to a smaller res as needed and still get a good result.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!