YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] KOF XII Sprite thread (Read 1568752 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 10:07:34 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] KOF XII Sprite thread
#941  August 05, 2011, 01:11:42 am
  • waiting for a better day
its a nice start,but always need more work  ;)
#942  August 05, 2011, 02:00:27 am
    • Edtion.TK
umm.... are you asking (in a KoFXII Sprite style thread) how to shade without using KoFXii style  :???:?

Im asking how to shade in KOFXII style

Spoiler: my post from march (click to see content)

Aside from that, if you don't want to actually just practice doing what prettty much everyone else here is doing, then you can follow SNK's official tutorial/guide of how they did and use 3d models.
http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/index.php or http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/creation/index.php
They used automatic shading from 3d and then made sprites based on that, while most of the people here are making 2d pictures from scratch/edit/old sprites and using their knowledge of shadows to mimic KoFXII's style.
#943  August 05, 2011, 03:18:51 am
  • hmmmm
something im working on still a wip

#944  August 05, 2011, 06:09:04 am
    • Edtion.TK
What was that drawn over?
#945  August 05, 2011, 03:11:32 pm
  • Yo mama got caught givin up neck in a bathroom
Face and toes need work. Perfect body, it's just the same as real sakura :)
Is that a new style? It reminds me when I drew over settei pictures to make something like female admirals in OP. ya know, these three.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#946  August 05, 2011, 03:41:46 pm
#947  August 05, 2011, 10:08:46 pm
    • Edtion.TK
Because a real game requires far more work and it's hard enough for them to make a single sprite.
#948  August 05, 2011, 11:41:25 pm
Thx you Riptide  :) to answer your question i have never try a sprite sheet just normal stance
this my last work not finish yet the sword and the shield shading is too much difficult for me
And i add a Commish for a dude he do not take this version  :'(

I'd have to steal that Link. If I had a video game company you'd be hired.
#949  August 06, 2011, 12:01:40 am

I did the lineart of Jenet was not very good, is available to those who want to end.
@let me paint the sakura?
#950  August 06, 2011, 02:31:24 am
Because a real game requires far more work and it's hard enough for them to make a single sprite.
Game developers who sprite these huge things must have some cool trick, it's impossible to sprite all those things with a limited date...
#951  August 06, 2011, 02:43:44 am
  • Walking on a Dream !!
    • Mali
thx to you all budies !!  ;D To answer your question lucci we can call this cool trick PASSION !! They like what they do. It's the important part I guess
#952  August 06, 2011, 02:53:27 am

1-Naruto
2-Sasuke
3-Kakashi
4-Killer Bee group
5-Tsunade(?)
6-Orochimaru
#953  August 06, 2011, 03:04:44 am
newboyflow ,please make hinata *--*,i must paint hinata
#954  August 06, 2011, 03:12:41 am
    • Edtion.TK
@methiou
Well they're getting paid, so they don't necessarily have to like doing it :P.

@lucci85
Lucci, yes, they do. The only difference is the methods they choose to use. Some people here are drawing from scratch and others draw on older sprites.

Capcom draw 2d sketches (of all or most of the frames) then resize them and draw sprites on them (see SF3). They also may cut the sprites into pieces and move/rotate separate parts to animate it (see SFA/MvC).
SNK made 3d models, animated them, and then drew sprites from those renders for KoFXII. As for other games, I don't know how they made their original sprites, but they reused and edited their older sprites for some of their newer ones, like a Kyo in one of the 90'something games was made completely by one guy that edited the previous game's sprites to get him his school/new outfit (it was somewhere on the official KoF website).

But all in all, they spend about 1-3(and sometimes more) years of constant (professional level) work to make the sprites and other art for their games for a living (probably about 15-28$ an hour if working 8hours a day and 5 days a week, but that's an estimate I made for game developers from 2007), whereas pretty much everyone here is just doing it in their spare time for fun and aren't making a dime doing it.

@viniciuskak
I like, I like  :).
#955  August 07, 2011, 06:01:58 pm
I always use the second method you mentioned, the "older sprites editing", which is a good way to sprite long sheets in chibi style too, which is my main hobby.

Lol at the palettes, the second one looks like Sexy no jutsu Sasuke, not juts a palette according to his style of dressing XD
#956  August 08, 2011, 01:19:14 am
  • hmmmm
#957  August 09, 2011, 12:20:42 am
I want to paint the sasuke?
I am available
#958  August 09, 2011, 12:39:18 am
  • hmmmm
#959  August 09, 2011, 01:34:18 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
@methiou
Well they're getting paid, so they don't necessarily have to like doing it :P.

@lucci85
Lucci, yes, they do. The only difference is the methods they choose to use. Some people here are drawing from scratch and others draw on older sprites.

Capcom draw 2d sketches (of all or most of the frames) then resize them and draw sprites on them (see SF3). They also may cut the sprites into pieces and move/rotate separate parts to animate it (see SFA/MvC).
SNK made 3d models, animated them, and then drew sprites from those renders for KoFXII. As for other games, I don't know how they made their original sprites, but they reused and edited their older sprites for some of their newer ones, like a Kyo in one of the 90'something games was made completely by one guy that edited the previous game's sprites to get him his school/new outfit (it was somewhere on the official KoF website).

But all in all, they spend about 1-3(and sometimes more) years of constant (professional level) work to make the sprites and other art for their games for a living (probably about 15-28$ an hour if working 8hours a day and 5 days a week, but that's an estimate I made for game developers from 2007), whereas pretty much everyone here is just doing it in their spare time for fun and aren't making a dime doing it.

@viniciuskak
I like, I like  :).

no, they have to like it, they  get paid 10 usd a hour and that's for the guys in japan, if they did not like it they would be better off working at a convenience store. they also complete a sprite in about 8 hours.
#960  August 09, 2011, 02:22:41 am
If it takes 8 hours for them it probably would take me about 16-18.
Given that I can complete 3 sprites of half that size in 24 hours.
I haven't bothered to test this tough.