YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] KOF XII Sprite thread (Read 1594825 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 10:07:34 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] KOF XII Sprite thread
#1401  May 09, 2012, 09:38:41 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
so since i paid 60 bucks for kof13, it's completely valid for me to complain to SNK that they didn't make all of the characters say MELV IS SEXY AS HELL just because i'm entitled in that sense?
#1402  May 09, 2012, 09:43:01 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Quality and content are not comparable when it comes to game pricing.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#1403  May 09, 2012, 10:19:52 pm
  • Haters are toys
"No weapon formed against you will have any success, and you will condemn any tongue that rises up against you in the judgment"- Isaiah 54:17
#1404  May 09, 2012, 10:22:08 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
That was not enforcing your earlier opinion at all.

#1405  May 09, 2012, 10:24:21 pm
  • Haters are toys
"No weapon formed against you will have any success, and you will condemn any tongue that rises up against you in the judgment"- Isaiah 54:17
#1406  May 09, 2012, 10:26:50 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
What point is that?

#1407  May 09, 2012, 10:31:22 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
Instead of doing just characters, anyone ever try editing a stage from a game like Street Fighter into XIII style?

For the guy who'd ask me have I tried it myself, or tells me to do it myself.  I've already tried it, but it didn't turn out nice.
#1408  May 09, 2012, 11:54:46 pm
    • Edtion.TK
Trying to turn a stage into this style would be basically making a higher resolution paint over (and this thread is about sprites).

Besides, I don't really think KoF XII actually had a "style" for the stages, since as far as I could tell, all anime/toons that didn't use flat shades for everything/2d games with a higher resolution backgrounds used this "style". The reason the characters get to be labeled on a style is that they generally follow a set a rules that unify them into something that looks different from other games, and I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between a XII stage and say maybe Melty Blood/Big Bang Beat stage if they both were at the same resolution and had the same amount of animation minus the background characters.

Care to [insert word here for means to discredit/disagree] me and specify what XII had specifically as I only looked at screenshots, a few gameplay vids, and played a demo so I haven't actually studied in detail on the stages as much as I did on the characters. And this actually goes for other games as well...well aside from a little bit of SF3, because I recall them adding purple/blue for a lot of the shadows for everyone/everything.
#1409  May 10, 2012, 12:56:13 am
  • Primatophile
  • MUGEN is an art..... let us paint.
    • USA
    • Skype - psycho_jolteon
First one I've done... don't feel like doing any more tonight.

Agumon
#1410  May 10, 2012, 07:28:33 am
    • Russia
here are some official SNK sprites, they still have amazing internal artists.  A lot of these were first shown as the achivement sprites for he console version of the game but with the release of KOFI2012 they have shown the sprites as cards. The new sprites are Oswald, Geese, Shroom, Rimelo, Shion, Magaki, Heidern, Orochi, Adel, Rose, Botan, Mukai, Shingo, Momoko, Igniz, and Whip.
A case of the characters that are in the game, there are no pictures?
#1411  May 12, 2012, 01:05:17 am
  • Mumbling voice actor reploid
    • Canada
    • electricvoiceboxmedia.com
They originally wanted Shion to be a girl and then decided somehow it would be more interesting to make a guy looking like a girl (like Ash... go figure... japs and transexuals..)
anyway -

SHION'S A GUY?!...I..whaug...anyways, man, a lot of these I really like. Dude, Geese just look beastly in this modern style.
#1412  May 14, 2012, 12:25:12 pm
  • Rawr

I know I pretty much really fucked up on Zoroark. Not so much on Lucario. But either way. Can I get some help with this, please? I adore this style and I'd like to do more, but I need a few tips first, I'm sure.
#1413  May 15, 2012, 04:54:52 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
For Lucario, there should be some shadows on his lower half in relation to his arms, IIRC
#1414  May 15, 2012, 07:16:51 am
    • Edtion.TK
Sprite discussion by some guy. ("CallMeMrA"?) / Official insight on the process by SNK

Try to start the sprite with a flat color, a highlight/lighting, and some lines for details. After that looks great to you, just add four more lighting colors to make a gradient shade from the brightest areas down to the shadows.

that guy said:
The Magic Number is Seven:

One of the first things that caught my eye regarding these sprites is that there seems to be one specific rule that gets enforced a lot. This rule is that if there is a prominent color used for a character, there are going to be seven tones to it with rare exception.This applies to skin, hair, and clothing alike regardless of the material.

I've picked out 3 random samples from the sprites at my disposal to help illustrate things a bit better. The first image covers Terry's denim jeans, the next has Joe's skin tone, and the last has Mai's hair. Despite being fairly different subjects, each have the same number of tones, and they each behave in the same way. Here's the breakdown from lightest to darkest:

Tones 1 and 2 will act as the primary highlights. Although the amount of tone 1 used will depend on the nature of the surface, tone 2 will be used as an outline for it that is consistently 1-2 pixels wide.
    Tone 3 will be the flat tone used for non highlighted areas that still receive light source. There is no predetermined width for this section, just what visually makes sense.
    Tones 4 and 5 are the transition colors between the lit portion of the sprite and the part in shadow. In the examples here, the colors used for these 2 tones tend to lean towards become warmer tones which come off as reddish purple variants of the lit colors before it. While the width depends on the nature of the curves involved, the two will have some level of anti-aliasing done when the change from light to dark is a sharp one. Joe's skin serves as a good example of that.
    Tone 6 is the primary dark tone that is used in shadowed areas. Basically, if the area is obscured somehow, this will be the color you would be seeing.
    Tone 7 is the outline color for the dark areas. Although Joe's chest and Terry's jeans show it fairly clearly in action, it still is present within Mai's hair tones although the change is very subtle in her default colors.

With your sprites, you actually tried to shade the shadows. The only gradients are in the light.
#1415  May 15, 2012, 10:17:56 am
  • Rawr
Well. I'm familliar with those two links. Have em faved, as for the shading. As you see below the paw and above it, below the legs on both. I actually have the shadows dropping, then the light shaded, though there should be more places where I do so, as for where the shadow of the paw drops, I can't pin point that. I'll try again though using SNK's tutorial. I'm just not too happy with the shading on the top of Lucario's chest and around his leg, as well as where the shadow drops.

With Lucario, I traced the lines and did the shading from shade up, as seen in KO-KI's tutorial on dA. A few small pointers would be nice on my Luca sprite, something a little more "Hands-on", but in the mean time, i'll work on it on my own.
#1416  May 15, 2012, 10:37:42 am
    • Russia
All cards from the "iPhone" version of "The King of Fighters XIII"
Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:47:15 am by TerryBogard
#1417  May 15, 2012, 11:42:41 am
    • Russia
#1418  May 15, 2012, 05:06:12 pm
I am learning illustrator, and I saw just had a way to divide the colors and then modifying them.:dozey:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Was an easy way to facilitate the transformation process :dozey:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Then i thought to ask ,what is your most fast way of working, which software are you using, and share them to each other so hey might form a more efficient way.  :dozey:
#1419  May 15, 2012, 05:14:38 pm
    • Romania
    • negative-edge.net
That looks pretty cool , but sadly its not KOF XII Styled
#1420  May 15, 2012, 05:39:10 pm
yeah i know  :dozey: ,the gif was to show how easy was