YesNoOk

Killua(hunter x hunter) non chibi sprites(RELEASED![no godspeed yet though]) (Read 42678 times)

Started by SERU, February 06, 2014, 02:19:56 am
Share this topic:
Killua(hunter x hunter) non chibi sprites(RELEASED![no godspeed yet though])
New #1  February 06, 2014, 02:19:56 am
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
ok I think this might be the style i'll stick to, special thanks to Alex Sinigaglia and Balthazar on helping me get started on mugen spriting.
Winpose(lol):
Intro(I think i'll only do one though):
download with a few gifs: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6dqss9i6etqwb1i/killua%28normal+size%29+mugen+sprites.zip

just spritesheet:
don't quite understand how to do palletes(should I edit every single sprite or just change colors of one) could someone explain it to me please(sorry! still new to mugen spriting)?
Should I move on to gon or do godspeed right away?
Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:56:01 pm by ULTIMOS
Re: Killua(hunter x hunter) non chibi sprites
#2  February 06, 2014, 11:44:59 am
You said it's not a chibi, yet it still looks like a chibi char (JUS is a chibi-sized style; it just seems that you edited some JUS sprites, mainly the hair).
#3  February 06, 2014, 08:13:53 pm
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
well his anime character design is chibi so you can't really blame me for that. Also I based it off the anime and made this style look like anime chars, but still look game like. It makes it easy and I can do 4-9 frames each day. How he looks in the anime just incase you haven't seen it http://media.animevice.com/uploads/1/12218/502125-hunter_x_hunter_2011_episode_06__04_.png and that is his regular stance and walking in the anime thats why its so similar. I think you say that cause there aren't too many anime big characters and a kid sprite anime style would look soso chibi. Don't worry when I make it for non kid chars they will be anime style, but will look absolutely non chibi. He is half the size of an adult mugen chars....or would you prefer I make him all buff and adult looking....thats would be lame don't you think? oh and here take a look at this: http://www.mediafire.com/view/28m1megmiafbu8z/killuaz.bmp
Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:19:54 pm by ULTIMOS
#4  February 06, 2014, 08:41:14 pm
    • Argentina
    • sutcliffsouji.wix.com/cp-chazzanova
I'm agree with Alex. Even if your character is more bigger than JUS sprites, is still tiny compared to the conventional size of the MUGEN characters.

Compare Killua with a character like Bao, from King of Fighters, who is a child.

Especially if you compare Kil with a character in CVS style, which is one of the sprite styles that predominate in most of the creations of this community...

I'm a big fan of HxH, not primarily Killua (I personally like Hisoka and Meruem!), but HxH is probably my favourite shounen manga with One Piece. I promise that if you put a little more effort to your animations in both size and quality, I'll help you :)

Also, remember that maybe if you enlarge more the sprites, Killua might be a little bighead, so I recommend that you work the proportions from scratch. I'm not a spriter, and I know Kill can be difficult to sprite, but I think it's best to put all the effort.

Greetings!
#5  February 06, 2014, 09:08:26 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I agree, the sprites can be better...more like this:
#6  February 06, 2014, 10:06:34 pm
    • Argentina
Nice one Balthazar :)

I know that spriting isn't just maths, but, this maybe could help you...

You could draw over a resized version of JUS Killua, giving him a custom shading and style.
#7  February 06, 2014, 10:13:19 pm
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
ok I haven't really practiced doing big sprites.... so would you guys prefer I take a look at the one Balthazar did and use his base to make a sprite sheet or use the jus one and do it with the shading style I was originally using? Don't worry Orochi Crab I am gonna do killua then gon then kurapika or hisoka. Its just that mugen needs more anime characters and hxh is my favorite. Ill contribute with anime characters in mugen :)
#8  February 06, 2014, 10:15:54 pm
    • Argentina
I think that would be better use Balthazar's base, his style is pretty fresh and nice. But always is your decision, I guess.

Great news about Hisoka and Kurapika! I'm agree about the anime on MUGEN.
Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:25:48 pm by Orochi Crab
#9  February 06, 2014, 10:30:08 pm
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:29:51 pm by ULTIMOS
#10  February 07, 2014, 11:20:45 pm
    • Argentina
Not bad. There are some sudden changes in shading on his pants and shoes, the only major problem is the change of the fringes in hair, but not bad for me. You think being able to draw a full spritesheet based on this style?

Let me send you a PM :) And I would like to work in the codes of this guy :P
#11  September 23, 2014, 02:05:16 am
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
#12  September 28, 2014, 10:49:23 am
Don't use that blur, it's bad. If you used him in Mugen you would see all green colours.
Why does he have black lines when he lands from his jump?
The jump sprite is very stiff.

The images are these:
I don't know why the hair in the stand animation moves like that when he goes down.

It's better than what you had first.
#13  September 28, 2014, 09:33:37 pm
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
thanks for the feedback, i'll go back to the jump later as I really suck at animating jumps and spriting them, I will fix up the stance later on, thanks for the info on the blur(but what green, I am using an alpha png(green is only for the animations), does mugen not run them fully). Glad that I'm atleast improving as spriting is only a side hobby for me hehe, next time could you tell me how to improve somethings instead of just saying good or bad. as for the landing, It looks bad on the loop, but I'm going to shade it in later to make it look more like an after image. two questions: does mugen have a number of frames limit?  and how do you make the images appear on the board what is the img code thing

edit: how's this for the stance-  http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n163/ULTIMOS/killuastance_zps807a9028.gif?t=1411934382
Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:10:14 pm by ULTIMOS
#14  September 29, 2014, 02:08:40 pm
thanks for the feedback, i'll go back to the jump later as I really suck at animating jumps and spriting them, I will fix up the stance later on, thanks for the info on the blur (but what green, I am using an alpha png (green is only for the animations), does mugen not run them fully?).
Glad that I'm at least improving as spriting is only a side hobby for me hehe, /
As for the landing, It looks bad on the loop, but I'm going to shade it in later to make it look more like an after image.
Two questions: does mugen have a number of frames limit?  and how do you make the images appear on the board what is the img code thing

edit: how's this for the stance-  http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n163/ULTIMOS/killuastance_zps807a9028.gif?t=1411934382

The tags to post an image are these:
Code:
[img][/img]
In photobucket pick the second link (Direct) and use the tags, like this:
Code:
[img]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n163/ULTIMOS/killuastance_zps807a9028.gif[/img]
and the image will appear like this one:

I don't know if Mugen 1.1 can allow you to use alpha colours like you want to show. But if it is for 1.0 and WinMugen, if you remove the background colour there will be a lot of other green colours:

but if it is just for the gifs, then I won't complain.

Now I understand what you wanted to do with the landing.

Mugen hasn't a number of frames limit. You can add as many frames as you want to make movements and animations smoother (like in Street Fighter 3).

The stance is ok, I would just re-do that part in the shoes because it's up and down and I don't like it, moreover I think the shoes don't behave like that but remain static. It's a common way to make animations, but it's not a good one: you need more than just cutting and pasting pixels up and down, you need actual editing.
I know, maybe you don't have any idea for a stance, and I can understand it. So why don't you try to make him breathe (not from his legs) or stand still with some wind movement? He's a killer, so one of these concepts should work well for him.

The hair uses dark colours to define some spikes, it should use lighter colours. Where does the light come from?

Also, when I wanted to make an edit I noticed you have too many colours! Seriously, 189 colours! When I checked it, zooming in, I realized it looked like a jpg, but it's not, then I indexed it and the Colour Map says you're using 189 colours! That's too much!

So my advice is to cut the number to 20 or 30, in other words use much less colours (but not more than 100 unless you know what you're doing), this way you can give your character more details and at the same time fix the parts that look off, like the hair spikes.

I've re-made your sprite with colour separation (that's why I used different colours for the skin and his T-shirt):

The lightsource is in front of him (or at least I tried). 30 colours against 189 colours: less colours and better results.

I shall try to animate it.
Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:20:03 pm by Alex Sinigaglia
#15  September 29, 2014, 04:23:00 pm
To be brutally honest i think those jump animations are bad.
My advice is: don't draw animations from scratch, or atleast not in your current level. for now, trace over other characters animations, it will be alot easier than imagining the frames and drawing them. also, when you sprite chars don't put any kind of effects on them, because effects are added later in mugen.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#16  September 29, 2014, 08:05:15 pm
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
@weird face dude- Yes they are bad hehe, I made them when I had zero ideas on how to make a jump so I just sketched a random image with his arms opened and blurred :D. Thanks for the advice, It's needed as I am new to mugen spriting(I want to advance in my skills, but up til now I've only got really good chibi sized char skills+can make bases for normal sized character, I am still working on animation, my understanding is increasing but I still have a lot to learn.....well that last part should be obvious :D) I mostly needed that last part didn't know that effects are added later.

@Alex- thank you so much for helping me I plan on remaking what I have with the color separation(question: why is color separation so important in mugen) you made. It has so many colors because I shaded it with paintbrush and not normally(I thought it would look better, but yours is like a pro's work). Don't animate it, I now have an idea for the stance well imagined in my brain i'll finish it soon.
#17  September 29, 2014, 08:15:50 pm
@Alex- thank you so much for helping me I plan on remaking what I have with the color separation (question: why is color separation so important in mugen) you made. It has so many colors because I shaded it with paintbrush and not normally (I thought it would look better, but yours is like a pro's work). Don't animate it, I now have an idea for the stance well imagined in my brain i'll finish it soon.
I'm glad that helps. :)

Why is colour separation so important in Mugen? With it you can make different and more varied palettes than you can do with sprites that don't have the CS. But it's not needed.
#18  September 29, 2014, 09:55:22 pm
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
ok I think this might be final for the stance might change a bit, what do you guys think(27 frames, but it's definitely worth it):

If any of you are wondering something like "why killua, gon isn't in mugen either or why a main rivale/sidekick character from a series not immensely popular is being sprited before other series that deserve to be in mugen like attack on titan(I don't promise a project like this, but it's possible if my first few projects end up decent) and one piece(same as last)" I am spriting killua to get me started on mugen because he is my favorite character in hunter x hunter which is my favorite series(pilot, 1999 anime, ova's, 2011 anime, movies not as much) and making a non main character makes me feel more like I have to not quit on projects+pretty much makes it so i'll do the main character later on.

@Alex   I didn't see the cutting and pasting in it too bad in this animation(I can easily change it since it isn't a huge part of this animation, but I'm not too sure on what to try) and I don't know what other breathing types there are but I have these ideas, to make the breathing better do I change the shading around the chest or do I make his chest and stomach increase 1-2 pixels wider.

Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:09:56 am by ULTIMOS
#19  September 30, 2014, 10:50:32 pm
I didn't see the cutting and pasting in it too bad in this animation(I can easily change it since it isn't a huge part of this animation, but I'm not too sure on what to try) and I don't know what other breathing types there are but I have these ideas, to make the breathing better do I change the shading around the chest or do I make his chest and stomach increase 1-2 pixels wider.
The reason I say cutting and pasting alone is not a good thing to do is because when you have to animate something you have to consider how that would look like in real life.
In your last animation the wind hits his hair and the blue sleeves and only two or three pixels in his shirt get deleted, then down and up with the legs.

That up and down thing is not possible in real life and I don't think Killua (or any other human being) could do it.

For the breathing you could do both things combined: move the chest area one pixel upwards and change the shading.
A good reference could be Yamazaki from Capcom vs SNK (CvS):
#20  October 02, 2014, 12:39:32 am
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
oh so you meant something like this(:o it really does look 1,000 times better):
#21  October 02, 2014, 10:48:43 am
:thumbsup:

Just make the shading move a bit less; in the pants the shading change is not needed; move a little bit his right arm (the blue sleeve); also he can keep his eyes (or eye, since only one is visible) open and blink once in a while.
Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:03:39 pm by Alex Sinigaglia
#22  October 23, 2014, 11:31:44 pm
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
ok! first few attacks done I'm expecting to finish his spritesheet halfway through next month. All that's left that I will share before releasing the entire sheet will be: crouch yoyo attacks, itzutushi(lightning palm), and going kanmuru/godspeed. What do you think of the blurs, I'm thinking these darker toned blurs give more assassin/emotionless feel.

Edit: do you guys think I should do an intro with him in his halloween costume?- http://imgur.com/a/HWdFs
#23  October 23, 2014, 11:42:13 pm
:yes:

But wait, have you done all the get hits and the basics first? I would do them first, then the intros and endings could be left for last. :)
Re: Killua(hunter x hunter) non chibi sprites(Released[no godspeed yet])
New #24  November 13, 2014, 09:52:08 pm
    • Honduras
    • oscarique@hotmail.com
Should killua godspeed have enough moves for a full transformation(doesn't really change moves dramatically though) or just like a lvl 3 final special combo? Here is the release of the spritesheet(no godspeed):

download with a few gifs: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6dqss9i6etqwb1i/killua%28normal+size%29+mugen+sprites.zip

just spritesheet:
don't quite understand how to do palletes(should I edit every single sprite or just change colors of one) could someone explain it to me please(sorry! still new to mugen spriting)?
Should I move on to gon or do godspeed right away?
Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:56:38 pm by ULTIMOS