is this impossibru?
#1  February 14, 2014, 08:46:40 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/

The first picture + the second picture

Equals This

Is it possible to do something like this MUGEN?
it probably isn't, but eh. You never know :P
Re: is this impossibru?
#2  February 14, 2014, 08:49:40 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafĂ­o.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
I think so as a helper
#3  February 14, 2014, 08:50:19 pm
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
You would need to draw the aura apart and apply transparency effect, also the aura will have to be properly aligned individually so it will match the char movement. In other words... really REALLY time consuming & difficult.
Chilling
#4  February 14, 2014, 08:52:22 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
it's possible in a full game.
#5  February 14, 2014, 08:53:30 pm
  • play more SNK games
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
The aura is 1 picture constantly moving to the left, the only parts of that picture that are drawn are the parts that overlap the character.

How would you even begin to code something like this?
#6  February 14, 2014, 09:53:12 pm
Same way as the stage stuff. One sprite with additive transparency on top of the character, one sprite with negative transparency behind the character to cancel it out everywhere outside of the character's sprite.
Next step is, make a helper that displays this sprite (and the negative duplicate) moving to the left. Then duplicate the pair, place it next to the first pair so it sticks, and make it move the same way. Simply make that animation last long enough to cross the character once, and repeatedly spawn a new pair with proper timing so the old one and the new one stick together. You may have one helper sticking to the character, and that helper summoning another helper with one set of the animation moving left but sticking to the base helper. The base helper keeps summoning a new helper with proper timing.

The only issue with the "one sprite on top, one sprite behind" technique is that anyone can walk up to your character and have the flame appear on top of them. You might put your flames + character on one extremity of the sprpriority range and hope that no one uses the same range, or grabs you and forces you into another sprpriority range (a variation of the classic "attachment coded as helper, in a custom gethit animation" issue). You also shouldn't use him in a mirror match. ... That's the part that's going to be a problem.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:57:39 pm by DKDC
#7  February 14, 2014, 10:48:44 pm
  • play more SNK games
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
When you say "negative transparency" I assume you're talking about subtractive alpha right?

I did what you said, aaaaaaand

Alpha's don't cancel each other out, they simply overlay each other. :/

I'm just asking this out of interest, so there's no need to go out of your way to help. :P
#8  February 14, 2014, 11:07:13 pm
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#9  February 14, 2014, 11:09:56 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Silly question, but couldn't you just re-rip the cropped parts layered on top of the character, animate the moving parts underneath instead of trying to an overlap a tiled transparency method?

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#10  February 14, 2014, 11:17:33 pm
  • play more SNK games
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
That could work, but the aura effect thing will look like crap since it's always supposed to be moving. Even during hitpauses I think.

Also, Arakune has 986 sprites. And having an aura sprite for every single sprite sounds a little crazy.

And besides. I can't rip from BB anyway. :|
#11  February 15, 2014, 12:45:05 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Arakune's sprites have been ripped. I did manage to set up a script of sorts that would correctly overlay the flames on him. However they wouldn't move. I decided the effort required was basically impossible. There is no good way to do this short of completely manually with about 6000 sprites to cater for every position of the flame ever.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#12  February 15, 2014, 12:48:28 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
No, there is an algorithm for it that you could use in an image editing application, but to do that with every sprite would take hours to export, even on my PC.

But that's the least of your problems; the SFF would be fucking huge.
#13  February 15, 2014, 12:48:59 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
you can't do it for mugen because we don't have masks; we can simulate mask but then that would only work in a single collored stage, so something like a boss fight. basically, black stage, another set of sprites that cover the same square as the effect and have an arakune shaped hole (this is the mask); you place arakune first, then the effect, then the mask, then make everything low priority so the mask is not drawn over p2.

obviously, the blazblue engine takes care of the mas layer not being on top of the stage; it might even use arakune's sprites as mask.
#14  February 15, 2014, 12:50:02 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
At the very least, this poses an interesting idea for a feature to implement masking. I'd suggest going to the Elecbyte forums and making a thread for it, while specifying an example and needs.
#15  February 15, 2014, 04:31:02 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
I requested this feature years ago, it's called Window.