YesNoOk

Interactive KOF Character Tutorial (Read 135280 times)

Started by Koop, February 07, 2013, 04:41:25 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Interactive KOF Character Tutorial
#61  July 23, 2016, 02:33:07 am
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
    • USA
Yes, so true. I took a look at it the other day and I managed to learn how to implement my own hit and guard sounds.

I've pretty much found a solid start in Elecbyte's tutorials, but it makes me wonder, how many M.U.G.E.N creators starting out even know if these tutorials are within the doc folder? Because I didn't for YEARS. No one told me that there were solid tutorials in the docs folder, not even Elecbyte when I started out nine years ago, mainly because they were pretty much gone for quite a bit until 2008 or so. And now they're gone again, so yeah, if any creator starting is reading this post and wants to make stuff, GO TO THE DOCS FOLDER IN YOUR M.U.G.E.N DIRECTORY.
#62  July 23, 2016, 02:46:45 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#63  July 23, 2016, 08:35:29 am
    • USA
NIIICCCEEEE. Bookmarked for convenience!

Anyways, before we end up going off topic, do you guys happen to know how creating the running animation works, specifically making the sound loop but then stop when you release forward? I also have the "Running Animation END" part of my Kyo character in my AIR file, but I'm figuring out out to put these things together.
#64  July 23, 2016, 09:26:16 am
You'd give the running sound it's own channel, and then use StopSnd in the StateDef -2.

Docs are very convenient, I'm not nearly as smart as I believe so I use them a bit. And yeah, it's best to start with something you'll be emotionally invested in because creating can get real boring at times. :P
#65  July 24, 2016, 12:55:11 am
    • USA
How do I do the same thing with jumping and crouch? I had Kyo jump fwhile running but the loop didn't stop, same with crouching too.
#66  July 24, 2016, 01:22:20 am
In the StopSnd at [StateDef -2],
make sure you have trigger1 = StateNo != 100 (or whatever number the running state is).

This will make it to where the sound will only play when running, and not in any other state.
#67  July 24, 2016, 01:26:41 am
    • USA
Getting closer now. The last thing I need to figure out is how to TOTALLY stop the loop. Now the loop does stop, however, when jumping or crouching, it still plays for at least a second before it actually stops.

I'll show you my code to show you how far I've gotten:

Code:
; Run forward
[Statedef 100]
type    = S
physics = S
anim = 100
sprpriority = 1

[State 100, 0]
type = PlaySnd
trigger1 = Time = 0
value = S100,0
channel = 1
loop = 1

[State 100, 1]
type = VelSet
trigger1 = 1
x = const(velocity.run.fwd.x)

[State 100, 2] ;Prevent run from canceling into walk
type = AssertSpecial
trigger1 = 1
flag = NoWalk

[State 100, 3] ;Prevent from turning
type = AssertSpecial
trigger1 = 1
flag = NoAutoTurn

[State 100, 4]
type = ChangeState
trigger1 = command != "holdfwd"
value = 0

Code:
[State -2, Stop Running Loop]
type = StopSnd
trigger1 = stateno != 100
trigger1 = command != "holdfwd"
channel = 1

#68  July 24, 2016, 02:01:01 am
Dunno if this is causing it but remove the command != "holdfwd" trigger below it, it's not necessary.
#69  July 24, 2016, 02:08:13 am
    • USA
Well, it's fixed now, but now I notice that if I run for maybe two seconds then stop, the sound loop doesn't stop again. I managed to figure that out by putting a StopSnd controller in the common1 cns for my character.

So I have a complete Running Animation now! XD

EDIT: OH GREAT I ALMOST FORGOT

I have to add the "Running Animation END" to the Running animation to complete it. :P
Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:28:55 am by Slivern
#70  December 26, 2016, 05:38:08 pm
Bump.

Custom hit states, not my strongest area. I know we have animation standards, but anything I should know about coding the states so that I don't run into behavioral issues? Besides what was already mentioned because I kinda forgot to look at the previous pages?
Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:19:54 pm by Niitris
#71  December 28, 2016, 11:27:13 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
It's best to just use selfanimexist(n) as the trigger for optional animations
#72  March 21, 2017, 03:48:03 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
Rise (not "Rise up" because that will cost you like $90)!

Right now there have been some system advancements. The following parts will be slightly more advanced, but I will do my best to explain them.
Next part of the tutorial will be...buffering!