YesNoOk

meaning of GGXX names (Read 8393 times)

Started by [(_sourlucas_)]>, August 16, 2007, 03:42:29 am
Share this topic:
meaning of GGXX names
#1  August 16, 2007, 03:42:29 am
  • If only I had my rainbow star back -_-
    • www.myspace.com/honest_luke
Okay, so my friend told me that he thought guilty gear was rly badass especially because of the chars' names. He says that every name stands for some kind of band or person related to a band. for example, i think axl is named after axel rose from GNR and eddie is named after Iron Maiden's mascot and so one. I only know a couple more and was just wondering if anyone else know more. thnx
It's true that if you own a PS3 then all arguments made by those who don't have one are invalid.
Re: meaning of GGXX names
#2  August 16, 2007, 03:46:16 am
  • FISSION MAILED
    • mugenguild.com/snake/
Zappa = Frank Zappa
Slayer = The Band itself?

not all can be band names. i mean, Sol Badguy? who the fuck calls themself anything remotley like that in a band?

4/27/09 - Nameless V1 Released
*********Current Projects on Temp. Hold*********
Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 03:48:50 am by Azel
#3  August 16, 2007, 03:53:11 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#4  August 16, 2007, 04:00:51 am
  • FISSION MAILED
    • mugenguild.com/snake/
er...looks like Sol's name does have a reference  :-X

4/27/09 - Nameless V1 Released
*********Current Projects on Temp. Hold*********
#5  August 16, 2007, 04:10:08 am
  • Yume De Aetara fanboy of the highest caliber!
    • www.esnips.com/user/urzaspalettes
A.B.A : The Swedish pop band ABBA, and also the ABA musical form (and also the blood types since her attack involve a lot of blood).
Her attack "Erasure" may be derived from the British synth pop band of the same name. In 1992, Erasure released an EP named Abba-esque, featuring covers of four ABBA songs.

Also, A.B.A's weapon, Paracelsus, is named after the mythologized alchemist of the same name. This in turn may serve to reference A.B.A's background to the parallel legend of Paracelsus creating a homunculus, which was born in a literal flask.

Anji Mito:  Anji-Mito's theme song, "Fuuga", is based on a Mötley Crüe song, "Live Wire", and also based on a Saber Tiger song, "Crush & Dush". Also, his "Shitsu" projectile bears a distinct resemblance to Aerosmith's logo when transformed. The name "Anji" is most likely a reference to the instrumental guitar piece titled "Anji" written by Davy Graham. The song is also known as Angi, or Angie, but Anji is how the song appears when Simon and Garfunkel covered the song on their album Sounds of Silence.

Axl Low : Axl is clearly modeled (and named) after Axl Rose, frontman for Guns N' Roses. Axl Rose also wore a British Flag of a similar design. In the original Guilty Gear, the opening guitar riffs in Axls theme "March of the Wicked King" are similar to the ones in the Guns N' Roses song "You're Crazy".

Baiken : Due to the similarities between her name and the meat bacon, Baiken is often referred to as "Bacon" in some Guilty Gear circles.

Bridget : His special move "Kickstart My Heart" is named after the Mötley Crüe song of the same title, his Instant Kill attack "Shoot the Moon" is named after a Mr. Big song (as well as performing the same motion of the yo-yo trick with the same name), and his "Starship" attack is named after the band of the same name. Roger is named after Queen member Roger Taylor.

Chipp Zanuff : Chipp's name is a reference to Chip Z'nuff, from the band Enuff Z'nuff.

Dizzy : Dizzy appears to be named after Guns N' Roses member Darren 'Dizzy' Reed. It's also the name of a 1969 #1 hit song by Tommy Roe. Her "Skull Crusher" may be a reference to the Overkill song "Skull Krusher" or the metal band Sepultura's drummer Igor "Skullcrusher" Cavalera. Her overdrive "Gamma Ray", which Justice can also use, is named after a band. Her attack "Hunger Strike" is named for a song by grunge band Temple of the Dog.

Eddy/Zato-1 : Eddie is named after the zombie mascot of Iron Maiden, although another possibility is Eddie Van Halen. His attack "Break the Law" is a reference to the Judas Priest song "Breaking the Law" and his instant kill "Black in Mind" is named after an album by Rage. His "Shadow Gallery" attack is named for an American progressive rock band, and his "Amorphous" attack is named for Finnish band Amorphis. His "Rise and Fall" attack from the original game is named after a Helloween song.
Zato-1's theme, "Feel a Fear", seems to have an opening similar to the opening guitar riffs in the White Zombie song "Grease Paint and Monkey Brains."
The title of Zato-1's original theme music, "Black Soul", as well as his stage's background in the original Guilty Gear, are references to the album Souls of Black by thrash metal band Testament.
Eddie's stage, which is a frozen version of Hell in GGXX, is loosely based on the name of American heavy metal group Iced Earth. In Accent Core, the stage is based on a more traditional fiery Hell.
The visor Zato-1 wears over his eyes gives him a resemblance to Vic Rattlehead, the mascot of the metal band Megadeth.

Faust/Baldhead : Named after Christopher Marlowe's The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus. Dr Baldhead, in appearance, appears to be based off of Richard O'Brien's character Cosmo McKinely from the movie Shock Treatment, a follow-up to the cult hit Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I-No : Her name is pronounced (Japanese) [ˈino], (English) [ˈi:nəʊ], and it is very likely a reference to Brian Eno. Her character is modelled after Shiina Ringo, a Japanese singer who shares both her characteristic mole and Duesenberg Starplayer TV model guitar. They also have the same birthday of November 25. Her attacks "Chemical Love" and "Last Will and Testament" share the names of a Stevie Wonder song and an album by The Lurkers, respectively, and her special Boss Version move "Megalomania" is named after an album by Russian band Aria called Mania Velichia. Her boss theme Midnight Carnival contains clear musical references to the song "Kurenai" by the J-Rock band, X Japan.
Her regular GGXX stage shows a placard on the far right side bearing the word "Innuendo," the name of the fourteenth studio album by Queen.

Johnny : He appears to be named after Queen member John Deacon in following creator Daisuke Ishiwatari's penchant for naming characters after Queen members. Given that he is a hard-smoking, brawling womaniser (and his theme song, "Liquor Bar and Drunkard", suggests quite a drinker), it is not much to assume that the man in black with the cowboy hat is also a homage to Johnny Cash. Johnny possesses a unique special move that involves tossing a limited number of coins at an opponent to power up another special attack, this move is listed as "Glitter Is Gold" and is a likely reference to the opening lyrics of the Led Zeppelin song "Stairway to Heaven".

Jam : Jam's name would be said in Japan as "Kuradoberi Jam", a reference to Swedish pop/jazz group Cloudberry Jam who was popular in Japan at one time.

Justice : Justice shares the Gamma Ray overdrive with Dizzy, an attack named after a band of the same name. Her name may be a reference to the Metallica album And Justice for All.

Ky : Ky Kiske is named after Kai Hansen and Michael Kiske from the power metal band Helloween. His Overdrive move, Ride the Lightning, is named after a Metallica album. His instant kill attack, Rising Force, shares its name with a Yngwie Malmsteen album and a song by HammerFall. Ky's theme song, Holy Orders (Be Just or be Dead), is a reference to Iron Maiden song Be Quick or Be Dead.

May : There is a Guilty Gear character who corresponds to each member of Queen. May is named after guitarist Brian May.

Millia : She is named after the band Meliah Rage. Her Iron Savior, Emerald Rain, Silent Force, Winger, and Iron Maiden attacks are all named after bands. Her Bad Moon attack is named for Creedence Clearwater Revival's song "Bad Moon Rising" or a Sonic Youth album of the same name. In her background story, Millia undergoes the 6th forbidden magic, "Angra", to gain control of her hair as a weapon, and this ritual bears the same name as the Brazilian heavy metal band Angra.

Potemkin : The name Potemkin may have been inspired by the album Battleship Potemkin by Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe. Potemkin's Hammer Fall attack is named after the band Hammerfall and/or the Queen song "Hammer to Fall". His instant kill move "Magnum Opera" is a reference to Queen album A Night at the Opera and/or Yngwie Malmsteen album Magnum Opus. The airborne nation of Zepp, from which Potemkin hails, is likely named for Led Zeppelin, or possibly the Zepp chain of concert venues across Japan. Adding further to the Led Zeppelin reference is the fact that Potemkin's theme song, "Burly Heart", is based heavily on the Led Zeppelin song "Kashmir".

Slayer and his wife Sharon : Slayer is named after the band of the same name. Several of his attacks (Under Pressure, Dead On Time, All Dead, and It's Late) are named for Queen songs. His Undertow is named for an album by Tool, while his Royal Hunt is a Danish metal band.

Sharon is possibly named for Sharon Osbourne, or Sharon den Adel of the symphonic metal band Within Temptation.

Sol Badguy : Sol is a fan of Queen. Ishiwatari originally voiced Sol Badguy (whose real name is Fredderick, ala Queen's lead singer Freddie Mercury), a leading character in the game whom the manual describes as an avid fan of Queen. The name "Badguy" might be named for Freddie Mercury's solo album Mr. Bad Guy).

Testament : Testament is named for the band of the same name. His attacks "Grave Digger" and "Warrant" are both named after bands, and his attack "Master of Puppets", is named after an album by Metallica. His "Seventh Sign" attack is named for a song by Yngwie Malmsteen. In Accent Core he gained an attack named "Badlands", which could be a reference to AC/DC's song or Bruce Springsteen's song. It's also possible that it is a reference to short lived bands Badlands (one formed by John Sykes and the other one by Jake E. Lee). Testament also bears a slight resemblance to Marilyn Manson.

Venom : Venom's name comes from the British heavy metal band Venom. His attack "Carcass Raid" could be a reference to the band Carcass, and his "Dark Angel" overdrive is a reference to the thrash metal band of the same name. Venom's background music, 'A solitude that asks nothing in return', is a near-copy of the song Breed to Breathe by Napalm Death, sans the lyrics and the intro. His Instant Kill, "Dim Bomber" is named "Dimmu Borgir" in Japan, the name of a Norwegian black metal band

Zappa : Zappa is named after Frank Zappa. His attack "Last Edguy" is a reference to the German power metal band Edguy. Zappa's strongest ghost Raou  is likely an homage to Raoh from Fist of the North Star (which Arc System Works has since made a fighter out of).

*Note*
S-Ko (Så­

Ecchi, it calls to me...
Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:12:15 am by UrzaTheOtaku
#6  August 16, 2007, 04:14:29 am
    • Peru
AXL Low = Axel Rose
Jam Kuradoberi = Cloudberry Jam (a chick metal group)
Eddie = Eddie Itself form Iron Maiden

Those are the ones I remember. But the references doesn't limit to characters' names. They also have to do with moves.

For example, Ride The Lighning (Ky's overdrive) is named after Metallica's album.
#7  August 16, 2007, 04:27:29 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#8  August 16, 2007, 04:45:32 am
  • Yume De Aetara fanboy of the highest caliber!
    • www.esnips.com/user/urzaspalettes

Ecchi, it calls to me...
#9  August 16, 2007, 12:41:25 pm
How come nobody pointed out that the 1 in Zato-1 is a pun on Zatoichi, the blind samurai ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#10  August 18, 2007, 04:39:48 am
  • If only I had my rainbow star back -_-
    • www.myspace.com/honest_luke
wowz. thnx for the info! :D Very intresting indeed!
It's true that if you own a PS3 then all arguments made by those who don't have one are invalid.