Share this topic:
Re: Shredder WIP
#201  March 16, 2012, 12:56:29 am
  • Dcat brought me back to Mugen!
    • USA
    • www.flickr.com/photos/22047800@N07/
What, a lady can't look a bit masculine? :S

That's kinda sexist.

Sorry, I didn't mean any offense.  It was mostly her face that bugged me with the sprites, particularly the SNES version.  She just looks like some dopey World Heroes character in her profile pictures.  Gender aside, I don't even think she looks Japanese in the SNES game.

The Genesis sprite looks more ambiguous, since you rarely get a good look at her face while fighting.  And playing that game was my first introduction to Karai, so I had no idea what gender she was even supposed to be.  The sprites just weren't quality enough to give me a clear idea.
#202  March 16, 2012, 12:57:46 am
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
@Dcat: Very nice spriting. How exactly do you draw these out??
If there's a close enough base I just cover over it in Shredder's color's. Most times size body-type discrepancies still remain once I've gotten the untouched base scaled to roughly the correct size so I'll just follow the general form or pose instead. If its not available I sprite it myself. All the work is done in Paint. so far Shredder's got poses inspired by Ryu, Cyborg, JJBA Vanilla Ice, JJBA Khan, Cyclops, Jill Valentine, Colossus, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, various from Denjin Makai 1 & 2, Joe Higashi, Terry Bogard,  Michael Max, SNES Tournament Fighter's Karai, various from the NES tmnt games. And the list will surely go on from there.

I'm having a feeling that that might be April's annoying office assistant?? I can't remember her name... I'm not sure otherwise....
Speaking of which, it would be hilarious to see Shredder humiliating some B grade characters in his intros.
Her name's Irma she was the Channel 6 News receptionist or something like that. She already has a cameo in one of Krang's intros.

Out of curiousity, have you considered making Casey Jones?? He was hilarious in the cartoon and his figure was off the hook. I loved his golfing accessories. His psychotic nature would make for some interesting gameplay mechanics and funny banter.
If I were to make a Casey Jones I'd use his NES Tournament Fighters sprites as a base. You shouldn't wait around for me to get the inclination to do so though, there's nothing stopping you guys from starting a character yourselves if you really want to seem them converted for MUGEN.

BTW, here's the colour seperated Karai from the Genesis Fighting game...
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Cool, I've never seen this with the isolated colors before did you do this?

Yeah, Midnight Bliss is about seeing the char turned into something HOT/Ultracute. Karai'd be... dunno...

Krang's Midnight Bliss is this, sexy huh?

Just cause Karai's not your flavor doesn't mean she's not attractive, it seems even decades old digital sprites cannot escape the male gaze...  ::) If you're still unconvinced, keep in mind, I do a majority of the spritework for these characters from scratch. You guys saw what I did with April's custom sprites:
-->
- I'm confident enough in my abilities to not worry about a Karai cameo coming across unsuccessfully, I guess the debate won't be officially put to rest until I post the evidence though.

And to re-iterate I don't need any more palettes, thanks though! :D

#203  March 16, 2012, 01:17:09 am
    • USA

Her name's Irma she was the Channel 6 News receptionist or something like that. She already has a cameo in one of Krang's intros.

Aw, sch-weet!  I can't even imagine what you've got planned!

If I were to make a Casey Jones I'd use his NES Tournament Fighters sprites as a base. You shouldn't wait around for me to get the inclination to do so though, there's nothing stopping you guys from starting a character yourselves if you really want to seem them converted for MUGEN.

I think NES Casey Jones would be the best base for a good Mugen character.  I think he has the better profile, poses, stance, and animations over the Genesis version.  Man, if I only had some real sprite-ing skills I'd want to get right on him!  Dcat, if you ever decide to make up a series of "spriting tutorials for Mugen dummies", I'd be interested to learn as much as I can.  I've been messing around with some 16-bit Justice League Cheeta sprites for a few years trying to make a Catwoman from Channel Six April O'Neil, but it doesn't really look very good and I still can't properly code the throw animation:

Krang's Midnight Bliss is this, sexy huh?

Just cause Karai's not your flavor doesn't mean she's not attractive, it seems even decades old digital sprites cannot escape the male gaze...  ::)
- I'm confident enough in my abilities to not worry about a Karai cameo coming across unsuccessfully, I guess the debate won't be officially put to rest until I post the evidence though.

I'm curious as to how you are going to integrate "Midnight Bliss" specials.  I don't remember you doing any coding for the move on your Turtles or SoR characters.  It was pretty much Dimitri's signature move in Darkstalkers, so are you simply making your characters compatible with somebody's else Dimitri or will Shredder and/or Krang be able to pull off Dimitri's technique?
Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:27:57 am by oldmanwinters
#204  March 16, 2012, 01:17:43 am
  • Currently working in 8 bits...
    • Sweden
Guess I went overboard with thoce palettes. XD

And thoce sprites were ripped for a Genesis Karai character someone made for MUGEN.

I simple colour seperated her and tried to make her face a bit less grouchy and made her eyes just a pixel bigger.
#205  March 16, 2012, 11:09:44 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
I think you have established yourself as THE Ninja Turtles guy. I guarantee you that if you and someone else made him, yours would come out on top with plenty of charm and extra touches.

Irma makes a cameo!? I'm keeping my eyes peeled!! And speaking of intros, have you thought of a way to implement custom stuff between Shredder and Krang?? There's plenty of amazing potential here. Are you simply going to release an update patch for Krang once Shredder eventually hits??
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#206  March 17, 2012, 01:34:54 am
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
I'm curious as to how you are going to integrate "Midnight Bliss" specials.  I don't remember you doing any coding for the move on your Turtles or SoR characters.  It was pretty much Dimitri's signature move in Darkstalkers, so are you simply making your characters compatible with somebody's else Dimitri or will Shredder and/or Krang be able to pull off Dimitri's technique?

For Midnight Bliss its just a decision to include it in the characters  from this point out so that they are compatible with Dimitri. I may put an attack that makes use of these custom animations in Krang or Shredder once I get further down the line though.

Irma makes a cameo!? I'm keeping my eyes peeled!! And speaking of intros, have you thought of a way to implement custom stuff between Shredder and Krang?? There's plenty of amazing potential here. Are you simply going to release an update patch for Krang once Shredder eventually hits??
Yes. Much in the same way I did with each successive turtle release, the existing characters will be updated so that they can have a bit of interactivity in intros.

#207  March 17, 2012, 03:43:23 pm
    • Sweden
Now that you mention it, he had that laser beam in the original arcade game that turned you into a turtle.

Why not have it turn the opponent into midnight bliss, just to have them explode a second later.

Ofcourse, the turtles would have a special reaction to this attack, being transformed into regulair turtles. :P
#208  March 18, 2012, 09:51:57 pm
    • Sweden
DOUBLE POST!!!

Figured I had to do a palette for Cyber Shredder, despite the palette roster being full. I still thought this one was too important to miss out.

#209  March 18, 2012, 11:37:49 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
:pwnonk:

Thats.... Fucking epic.

Someone should make a Vega/Claw parody palette.  ;D

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#210  March 19, 2012, 03:50:29 am
    • USA
DOUBLE POST!!!

Figured I had to do a palette for Cyber Shredder, despite the palette roster being full. I still thought this one was too important to miss out.

Oh, wow, rukifellth, I really love the Back to the Sewers April palette to go along with Cyber Shredder!  It's a shame there can only be so many alternates, eh?
#211  March 20, 2012, 12:48:56 am
    • Sweden
BTW, great news everyone, I have managed to pick up a great pic of the new 2012 edition of the Shredder AND Krang:

As well as the turtles, Splinter, and April:

Could be useful for some new palettes, and I dunno about you guys, but I like this new approach to the art style, it has a sorta comic book like estetique, yet uses simplistic shapes, and crosses the feel of the 80's show with the 2003 show.
Interesting. :)
#212  March 20, 2012, 01:11:36 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Hmm.... The nostalgia whore in me does not approve of this message.

However, these do look pretty sweet. Krang's robot body.... I'm so used to the now classic version....

#213  March 20, 2012, 01:29:20 am
    • Sweden
Yeah, Krang's robot body look rather meek, but I saw somwhere that some artist was asked to make a design for Krang's robot body, and that one look more like the original one, perhaps he will gain a new body? :S
#214  March 20, 2012, 01:32:40 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Since when was April a plucky preteen girl
#215  March 20, 2012, 01:34:40 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Yeah, Krang's robot body look rather meek, but I saw somwhere that some artist was asked to make a design for Krang's robot body, and that one look more like the original one, perhaps he will gain a new body? :S

Come to think of it, that endoskeleton looks like the innards of Krang's original body.... Interesring....

MDD

#216  March 20, 2012, 01:48:12 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
You know how you said not to post palettes?

Yeah, well that was killing me when I saw all those that rukifellth made. So I made this:

Based on Dan Berger's art:

You can ignore this if you want, since i'm 100% sure that the palette isn't indexed right anyways, but I had to do something. :P
#217  March 20, 2012, 02:11:25 am
    • Sweden
NICE!!

Why did'nt I think of that one?

Even thoe it probably wont be used, one can always make a palette pack. :P

As for Krang, I did'nt think of that. Hm...

April a plucky teen? I dunno, depends on how she is in the new show, but her clothing style is cool as hell! :D
#218  March 20, 2012, 02:13:43 am
    • USA
If you folks are anxious about the new Nickelodeon cartoon designs, wait till you hear the Michael Bay interview in anticipation of the next feature film where he describes the TMNT as "an alien race!"

:ninja:
#219  March 20, 2012, 02:15:45 am
    • Sweden
Ahahaha, yeah I read that one!

I could'nt stop laughing! It sounds so awfully bad! XD
#220  March 20, 2012, 02:26:00 am
FUCK!  Just leave it the old school way..why do they have to ruin everything!