Shredder WIP (Read 247942 times)

Started by Dcat, February 14, 2012, 10:32:11 am
Share this topic:
Re: Shredder WIP
#241  March 22, 2012, 11:07:02 pm
  • Dcat brought me back to Mugen!
    • USA
    • www.flickr.com/photos/22047800@N07/
How about having that portal thingy turn on and off every now and then over this bg around the point were the floor tiles end? You could even toy around with transparencies and the such.

Just an idea. :)

I was also thinking something like that could be great.  I do know a few Mugen stages that have similar effects, and they really do look neat!
#242  March 22, 2012, 11:18:58 pm
  • Currently working in 8 bits...
    • Sweden
Huh? Fireball?

On his sword stance or fist stance? I don't remember Shredder using fireballs in the fighting games. He had that move where he charged forward and uppercut his opponent, and that anti-air special.

Ofcourse, I've only played the SNES and Genesis version of Tournament Fighters...
#243  March 22, 2012, 11:48:53 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Shredder had a ground projectile in the form of an electric shock in Tournament Fighters SNES version.

Hey Dcat, since Shredder has feign kicks, sword cancels would be badass. Think of it like Ryu's fake fireball, or any basic attack in Soul Calibur that is immediately cancelled by tapping block. So perhaps you will give him a dragon punch of sorts. You can fake the dragon punch into a kick, feign the kick and bait an opponent into a whiff. That would be wicked sweet, all while Shredder taunts you of course!!  ;D
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#244  March 22, 2012, 11:51:29 pm
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
-Its the hand aura projectile from Turtles In Time Arcade
I'm actually okay with him using the ki generated retromutagen attacks from the game. Its weird but that kind of super aura repertoire seems way more forgiving when paired with the Shredder as opposed to the turtles. I'll probably include the flame and triangle wave moves as well
-Shredder also had a couple of projectile attacks in NES Tournament Fighters, one was a ground wave and another was using the special ball item that drops mid-way through each round.
-Wasn't Shredder completely absent from the roster of Sega Genesis Tournament Fighters?

I've given it considerable thought and I'm going to omit the whole mode switch option from Shredder. Sword, fist, & armor based attacks respectively will be mixed into his single move repertoire instead of having limited access in either mode.
-All of the moves will be self contained, regardless if Shredder attacks with or without the sword, his sword shall remain present in each animation.

#245  March 23, 2012, 12:15:36 am
    • Sweden
Yes, Shredder was'nt in the Genesis version.

So he had fireballs in the NES version eh?

BTW, will he have that lightning bolt attack from the 1st arcade game?
#246  March 23, 2012, 12:25:22 am
#247  March 23, 2012, 12:27:45 am
    • Sweden
With midnight bliss properties for thoce who do not mutate back to turtles. :P

Perhaps after mutation, they explode back into their regulair form?
#248  March 23, 2012, 12:54:15 am
    • USA
Yes, Shredder was'nt in the Genesis version.

So he had fireballs in the NES version eh?

BTW, will he have that lightning bolt attack from the 1st arcade game?

In the NES version of TF, the fireball was a special projectile available to all characters if they could pick it up during the fight (it dropped out of a weird floating box with Splinter's face on it... and at the ending of the game, we find out Splinter was actually in it!).

Some characters had a slight variation on the way they actually threw the fireball, but I think Shredder's fireball throw was especially effective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywGqHcxWhQ#t=00m43s
Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:45:49 am by oldmanwinters
#249  March 23, 2012, 03:32:57 am
    • UK
    • strides2glory.com/

C'mon  man. I think your taking the piss here. You could have done more animation here. :-\
the only thing moving is his loin cloth like his penis is powering up lol.
but I have faith in your shredder your other works were awesome.
#250  March 23, 2012, 04:46:26 am
 o_O
#251  March 23, 2012, 07:52:58 am
    • Sweden

C'mon  man. I think your taking the piss here. You could have done more animation here. :-\
the only thing moving is his loin cloth like his penis is powering up lol.
but I have faith in your shredder your other works were awesome.

I think you've missed the point Maverik. XD
The point is for Shredder and the rest of the Turtle characters to be animated in a nostalgic, TMNTIV fashion.
That and your way of describing the so called issue is rather vulgar. (seriously, penis jokes? >_>)

To me, the animation looks badass. :)
#252  March 23, 2012, 08:36:26 am
  • "Za Warudo" user
    • Russia
    • www.youtube.com/user/YagamiRus
Anyway I suppose the actual character animation is not necessary to be like Dcat's avatar, it will have sword after all, so i suppose it will be something like his original idle stance from arcade Turtles in time?
#253  March 23, 2012, 08:39:12 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
It was just Maverik being a dick (cf. his topic in Graphics) in several topics. Don't mind him.
#254  March 23, 2012, 09:00:32 am
    • Sweden
Hmm, kinda reminds me of a friend of mine who finds all kind of 2d animation to be elderly and outdated. :S

I think 2d animation is more of an art than 3d animation since you have3 to create every animation from scratch. In 3d, you can rig a model and pose them like a stop motion puppet to get the animation you want, but not in 2d, you must do it all from scratch. :)

EDIT: Say, I had an idea, having tried out the nes version now, Shredder has that fist flurry move (think Kenshiro), what if it could be retooled to him doing rapid stabs with the sword?

Or perhaps a hidden Super move that makes him use it like the NES game, but... with the HOKUTO NO KEN theme playing!

In other words: Ashi Hiyakuretsuken (Hundred cracking fist of the Foot - 足百裂拳)

EDIT (again): Another thought, I was thinking of doing sprites for a playable Bebop & Rocksteady, and my idea was that they would serve as a Ice Climber esque character with the player using Rocksteady, while Bebop follows him around, but the x,y,z buttons would be Rocksteady's attack buttons, while Bebop would use the a,b,c buttons.

I also had the idea that Bebop would use the Energy bar as his Health bar. So the idea would be that their Hyper moves would be usable at ANY time, but at the cost of their own health instead. Like using their joined ramming attack which would hurt them both.

Otherwise, any thoughts?
Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:19:07 pm by rukifellth
#255  March 23, 2012, 08:27:42 pm
That move is called Gaunlet Blur, I was going to make it function similarly to its source material right down to the commands. I might take some properties from Ryo Sakazaki's Zanretsu Ken attack in terms of how it's coded. It already behaves to my liking in the original game so I don't think I'll be adding sword properties to it.

I think a literal inclusion of Kenshiro's attack replete with Hokuto no Ken fight music and all of that would be too much of a parody. Not very different from that trend of including Dio's WRYYY and Road Roller in every character as a hidden move a couple of years back. Stuff like that doesn't interest me and just comes across as including memes just for the heck of it. 

EDIT (again): Another thought, I was thinking of doing sprites for a playable Bebop & Rocksteady, and my idea was that they would serve as a Ice Climber esque character with the player using Rocksteady, while Bebop follows him around, but the x,y,z buttons would be Rocksteady's attack buttons, while Bebop would use the a,b,c buttons.

I also had the idea that Bebop would use the Energy bar as his Health bar. So the idea would be that their Hyper moves would be usable at ANY time, but at the cost of their own health instead. Like using their joined ramming attack which would hurt them both.

Otherwise, any thoughts?

Interesting idea for a character, you should pursue this if you're really inspired, seems like you've been giving it quite a bit of thought. Several characters utilize ever-present partners for special and super moves although not in the way you're describing it I don't believe. One that comes to mind is Choujin's Dr. Gero character, you should check that out.

I've always been hesitant to make Rocksteady and Bebop since  I run into the trouble with them being standalone characters and ignoring the fact that they work best as a duo. If I include one as the helper partner of the other I have the issue of deciding who should get top-billing, inspite of my fondness for Rocksteady it'd be wrong from a nostalgia standpoint to favor one over the other. By having them as Shredder's strikers it fixes things quite nicely, they're reserved as lowly grunts and I don't have to choose which one takes the lead.

My tentative plan for the two was to have them appear from the background in the center of the screen and behave like so:

1. charge to opposite ends of the screen then back to center where they collide and bounce off screen
2. from the center charge directly towards the screen then appear on opposite ends and charge towards the middle > collision
3. have them jump in from off screen and shoot, then charge towards the center where they collide (I'm thinking the projectile based attacks could work best if one or the other was in play, but not both).

The idea's still not as developed as I'd like it to be, one thing I know for certain is that I'd like for them to collide and knock each other off-screen regardless if the move hits or whiffs. I have made some new jump-in sprites for the both of them so I'm looking to use these as much as possible. They could jump up from a sewer grate or something as well, having them exit one of those drill modules would take way too much set up though... If you've got suggestions on how Rocksteady and Bebop should enter/exit the screen I'm all ears, please note, I'm reluctant to use portals since that fits more with Krang's repertoire.

#256  March 23, 2012, 09:04:54 pm
    • USA

The idea's still not as developed as I'd like it to be, one thing I know for certain is that I'd like for them to collide and knock each other off-screen regardless if the move hits or whiffs. I have made some new jump-in sprites for the both of them so I'm looking to use these as much as possible. They could jump up from a sewer grate or something as well, having them exit one of those drill modules would take way too much set up though... If you've got suggestions on how Rocksteady and Bebop should enter/exit the screen I'm all ears, please note, I'm reluctant to use portals since that fits more with Krang's repertoire.

And the dcat goodness continues!

As far as entrances go, each of the ones you listed sound great!

But if you're looking for some more elaborate ideas:
*Riding on the back of the Big Wheel truck from The Manhattan Project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQMhRfhVvAg#t=02m29s

*They could be riding Foot motorcycles or Cruiser and leap off as the bikes go off-screen.  Seems like I've seen sprites of that, but only in a fan game or something.  The Foot Soldiers used bikes in the original Arcade Game:
From "Red Sky Battle" fan game:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

*They could "teleport/materialize" not by portal but on account of Shredder's "Matter Transporter" from Season 2.

You could probably use the module as a simple "pop up" attack (ala Blackheart's move) from either close range, medium range, or far range distances and then go back in the ground.  If you wanna have B&R looking out through the little window it might be funny.
#257  March 23, 2012, 09:38:32 pm
    • Sweden
Alternatively, for a plyable Bebop & Rocksteady, one could use the taunt button to switch who's in charge.
#258  March 23, 2012, 10:04:40 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
What episode was it where the Shredder took Michaelangelo's personality?? Nods to that would be pretty sweet, considering Bebop and Rocksteady messed with Shredder's plans.

Also, having Rocksteady fire his machine gun along with Bebop using his ray gun would fit perfectly considering A: these attacks are in the arcade games and B: they would allow for striker setups just like Krang and his rock soldiers.

Technically, having them as strikers makes the most sense. Or possibly having them along with Shredder in intros and win poses. If you can't genuinely make them function individually, having them appear as those aforementioned strikers makes the most sense. Think like you did with Krang (screen juggle, super move) and you're golden.

Here's a winpose idea: Rocksteady is told to run off with April, but instead grabs Shredder and exits the screen, all while Shredder complains in the form we have all grown to love.

I hope I didn't repeat anything from prior posts.... Class just ended and I briefly skimmed through....
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:10:32 pm by Saikoro
#259  March 23, 2012, 10:12:45 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I would save bebop and rocksteady for future stuff, but if you really want to, you can have them drop from above, or jumping from off screen.
you can also have helicopters lower ladders and they dropping from them.
#260  March 23, 2012, 11:12:14 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
I would save bebop and rocksteady for future stuff,
He can always add a failsafe to have them replaced in the super with Krang's already sprited stone soldiers if Shred's fighting Bebop and/or Rocksteady.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA