Shredder WIP (Read 248547 times)

Started by Dcat, February 14, 2012, 10:32:11 am
Share this topic:
Re: Shredder WIP
#861  November 19, 2012, 07:53:00 am
  • "Za Warudo" user
    • Russia
    • www.youtube.com/user/YagamiRus
The idle stance animation is perfect, even though the legs are still. C'mon guys it's 100 times better than the previous one (which had 2 frames animation).
You are doing great Dcat, also it's very exciting to hear about probability of Christmas release. Keep it going :D
#862  November 19, 2012, 08:32:17 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
This is great. :)
Best of luck with everything, can't wait to play the final version.
#863  November 19, 2012, 04:37:47 pm
    • Germany
Hey guys I've been busy

Thanks to the generous contribution of RobotMonkeyHead Shredder now has a fully animated idle stance. He really did a great job!

@RobotMonkeyHead
Great work that you did for Dcat here. *_*

UPDATE 11/18/2012:

Made a config file with Super Shredder Options, among them you can :

-Have infinite timer during Super Shredder mode

-Start Round 2 as Super Shredder
(this disables the human commands for Super Shredder at all times)

-Always play as Super Shredder
(includes special Super Shredder intro from the arcade for Round 1. This option overrides all other options as every round will be in Super Shredder form and the timer will never deplete)

It functions perfectly at the moment, I don't think I'll put the once per match restriction on accessing Super Shredder mode that I originally mentioned in the final version. It could be way too restrictive especially for human players, making it limited to once per match seems more like a condition that the AI should stick to. What do you guys think?

Nice to see that you added the options for differend Super Shredder modes, aboud the restriction you mentioned, I belive once per match would be a little to much restrictive, once per round should be ok for human players and for the AI, because afaik Shredder is still beatable in Super Shredder mode, if not the options of Super Shredder to start automatic at round 2 or is always Super Shredder would be not make much sense, right?^^

Also coded the basic combo breaker attack its an homage to Cyber Shredder's special from Tournament Fighters on the SNES.

Nice nice nice.  ;D

===What's next?=====

-I'll be trying to tackle Super Shredder's Thunder Wave super next.

-Also just going to toss some Foot Soldier sprites into the .SFF, regardless of color separation, and get down to business on that air super. Its way too nebulous still.

-For all those who were asking earlier, I'm aiming for a Christmas 2012 release of all of my TMNT WIPS (Shredder, Krang, and the Turtles). If I don't make that date however expect a late December or early Januray release date.

Would be nice if we could get this wips as a Chrismas present.  ;D
But it's ok too if we get them later.  :)

This is PERFECT
Actually wait....it's kinda creepy that his legs/feet are as still as concrete. Don't know I'll have to see it in action. Minor details ignore me.

Many chars who have a stance with a heavy breathing animation, have non moving legs/feet, I don't know why it should be not ok in this case.
#864  November 19, 2012, 07:03:16 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
Stance looks good as is.  Not every character needs breathing legs (MVC Cyclops).
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
#865  November 19, 2012, 07:05:16 pm
  • The BadPixelMan
    • USA
Honestly I like it. It only bugged me because I'm starring at the sprite close up on the forums and not in MUGEN. :P
#866  November 19, 2012, 07:18:51 pm
  • Shakespear.
I'm really glad you guys like the stance.

Just to throw it out there, the reason I didn't add movement to the legs was because the turtles and Krang have relatively static stances, so I wanted to do something that would fit with them a bit more, that's all.
   It did occur to me to offer to do some breathing animations for the turtles too, and make them all a bit more fluid, but the classic arcade stances are just way too cool as is.

I'm absolutely stoked for christmas too. Can't wait DCat, he's looking fantastic!
#867  November 20, 2012, 12:44:58 am
  • Mumbling voice actor reploid
    • Canada
    • electricvoiceboxmedia.com
Yesh! "LIGHTNIIIIIING CRUSHERRRRRR!" Always loved that move. RobotMonkeyHead, you are the finest of your mechanical simian brethren, thanks for the awesome idle stance! :)
#868  November 20, 2012, 06:12:10 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html

I love the stance personally. Nicely done RMH. At least this time you wont have to worry about assholes stealing your work. LOL

OK, some minor feedback regarding Dcat's latest rendition.

I really like Shredder's "Super Mode." He is also preliminary, so I understand that there are some rough patches and stuff to still be implemented. However, I feel that this mode feels a little too "Pandora-ish" meaning that your opponent has the upper hand in movement, which would result in the same issue SFxT suffers: you could be chasing down the opposition, only to have them completely avoid you. Maybe this is just me, but perhaps a little more mobility on Shredders behalf?? Also, his diagonal/anti-air super attack feels a little simplistic... Maybe some added effect?? A kick attack special would be interesting as well. Otherwise, solid.

Playability is silky smooth. That's a plus. The only nitpicks would be from an aesthetics standpoint with maybe some extra frames of animation on a few spots for added fluidity. Again, this is merely nitpicking.

That Dive Kick into Shuriken attack sometimes misses depending on the length of the combo. I think the best way to fix this, and lead into some better combo chaining, would be to make the Shuriken a secondary and optional attack by holding down and following up fierce kick with fierce punch. Perhaps this could open up the door to options on direction and speed of the projectile similar to Krang's aerial machine gun attack??

Some slight variability could be added to his roundhouse/fierce kick, just like his forward/medium kick. You could perhaps model a secondary roundhouse kick with holding back or forward for some extra combo potential and mind/distancing games

His rapid punches can also be performed by inputting D~DB~B+Any Punch. Intentional?? Along with that comment, I think that the animation still looks a little rigid. Maybe you could clean that up a little so the animation resembles Joe Higashi's Machine Gun Punch?? The shoulder looks too rigid with all of that movement. Just a nitpick really....

I'm not a fan of that beam effect that appears when he performs that doppleganger super. Maybe you could let us know how to remove it?? I personally liked the previous version better.

Are you going to implement the Splinter intro??

His cape looks a little too simplistic and blocky.

With his arcade intro against the turtles, I think you should add in a secondary variant where he lunges with his sword. The jumping kick intro is awesome, but it would be nice to have more variety.

That's all I got for Shredder now. I'll return with more if I can dig up anything else.

And for Krang:

Air Dash?? Hmmmm?? That addition would be perfect if you added it in. Seriously.

Don't forget to add in the news interruption animation during the Soap Opera intro. It remains stuck on John and Marsha's animation when the newsflash comes through.

Is the Android's body supposed to be missing Krang during the materialization intro??

And all of your four turtles are amazing. Love the introductions!!
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#869  November 20, 2012, 03:21:22 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
Seeing your feedback makes me want this character so much more.  I'm jealous.
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
#870  November 20, 2012, 03:34:11 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I didn't get the latest version of Shredder. IMA go cry in the corner now. :bigcry:
#871  November 20, 2012, 04:42:33 pm
    • Germany

@RobotMonkeyHead
Don't get me wrong, I still like the animation you created but I have a little suggestion, after looking at the stance for a while, I discovered that Shredder stops to breath at the time he moves his arms, and that he has some kind of a hiccup before he starts to breath again, so could you make a edit to make Shredder breath at the same time he moves his arms and remove this strange hiccup ?

If not it's still ok, like I said before it's just a suggestion.^-^

#872  November 20, 2012, 05:05:16 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#873  November 20, 2012, 05:06:58 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
You can make it up to all of us by sending us a copy of him >.>
#874  November 20, 2012, 05:11:13 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+

LOL And then I am forever frowned upon and banned by breaking forum and community cred. The scene here is followed by something similar to Tina Turner punishing Mel Gibson in Beyond Thunderdome. I'm gonna aim for no. :) I won't survive in Guild's desert wasteland!!

#875  November 20, 2012, 05:15:39 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
Haha, can't blame a guy for trying right :P  And now I have to go find a Youtube clip of that scene you described.
#876  November 20, 2012, 06:15:25 pm
  • Shakespear.

@RobotMonkeyHead
Don't get me wrong, I still like the animation you created but I have a little suggestion, after looking at the stance for a while, I discovered that Shredder stops to breath at the time he moves his arms, and that he has some kind of a hiccup before he starts to breath again, so could you make a edit to make Shredder breath at the same time he moves his arms and remove this strange hiccup ?

If not it's still ok, like I said before it's just a suggestion.^-^

Yeah man I see exactly what you're talking about.  Actually when I made the animation, the way I had it set up was so that the entire hand / sword motions were all on the out breath, evenly timed to the other out breaths.  What happened was, my first go was just a bit to subtle, so DCat asked me for another couple frames, which I made and sent, but I think he might have forgotten to change the timing in the arm movement to match the other out breaths.  Minor thing I know, and I was actually planning to mention it at some point.  Good catch, and thanks!
#877  November 20, 2012, 10:56:49 pm
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
I didn't get the latest version of Shredder. IMA go cry in the corner now. :bigcry:

This isn't the latest beta its just a fresher copy than what Saikoro had before, he was posting feedback on a much outdated version earlier in the thread and I wanted to give him this newer copy to give him a better sense of where the character's really at. That being said by the time he posted this new round of feedback his version is obsolete as well in the following ways:

-He doesn't have the config file for Super Shredder settings implemented or the additional sound fx, intros,& lightning crusher combo breaker move that I've added to that mode.

-He doesn't have RobotMonkeyHead's newly implemented idle stance and a lot of the normal attack to idle animations are still rough and choppy in his Shredder version. I've since fixed this for the most part.

-The Clone Super still uses the pink beam explod I was experimenting with recently. I realized this obscures the character animations too much and have removed this bit as well.

Don't worry all of the testers will receive the updated beta when I've added the missing air super and fixed the remainder of known issues Saikoro's mentioned.

-Having the Gauntlet Blur rapid punches accessible via multiple button presses and QCB + Any Punch was intentional. I'll get to updating that animation today, it was one of the earliest I did for the character many months ago so I understand how it could look unfitting with the rest of his more recently sprited attacks.

-Shredder does have 2 roundhouse kicks- they activate depending on character distance at the moment , try pressing HK > HK repeatedly while up close to the opponent. I think I'll include your suggestion to have them accessible via holding a button direction as well.

Are you going to implement the Splinter intro??
-I'd planned on it but color separation's slowing me down here, plus I still need to update the NES Turtles Lair background sprite from 8 bit 5 colors to 16 bit full color. Handling the brunt of the spritework and coding means some things don't get addressed as timely as I'd might like them to. Might have to be an updated addition after he's released.

His cape looks a little too simplistic and blocky.
-I'll see what I can do.

Air Dash?? Hmmmm?? That addition would be perfect if you added it in. Seriously.

Don't forget to add in the news interruption animation during the Soap Opera intro. It remains stuck on John and Marsha's animation when the newsflash comes through.

Is the Android's body supposed to be missing Krang during the materialization intro??

-Thanks for the reminders, I'd been meaning to get to these issues with Krang still, don't let me forget about this.

I'll never understand why people insist on playing with incomplete, leaked versions. They're called betas for a reason. Just wait for the official copy, dude.

@moep: that hiccup you're seeing is my fault I'll take another look at my animation timings and fix it.
#878  November 20, 2012, 11:33:21 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
I'll never understand why people insist on playing with incomplete, leaked versions. They're called betas for a reason. Just wait for the official copy, dude.

It was a joke :P  And I'm just interested to see all the new developments inside the actual engine as opposed to just screenshots.  But I can wait - all good things are worth waiting for.

#879  November 20, 2012, 11:57:15 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
I hear you M, and its cool. For the uninitiated however, leaking a private beta is the ultimate slap in the face if you ask me. It's like betraying all trust and credibility. I'm actually very honored that I was selected to beta test. My head nearly exploded when I got the Krang E-Mail. I was a huge turtles lunatic when I was a kid. Dcat sealed the deal.

Thanks so much Dcat!!

#880  November 21, 2012, 12:05:49 am
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
I understand leaking betas is a big no-no, and I was just joking around.  I never actually thought anyone would take is serious.  I want to make sure you understand Dcat - No disrespect was meant.

I was into the turtles when I was younger too - the cartoon, the video games, and who can forget the endless action figures.  That's why Dcat's turtles are so damn cool.  They're not the crappy generic "dark" versions that the kids today watch, they're the fun versions we all grew up with on the 90's animated show and video games.  If's refreshing, nostalgic, and they play amazing so every beautiful graphic is backed up with solid gameplay.