YesNoOk

Show us cool stuff you just bought! (Read 1244823 times)

Started by Vans, November 21, 2011, 06:01:10 am
Share this topic:
Re: Show us cool stuff you just bought!
#1341  August 01, 2014, 08:27:19 pm
  • Internet User
    • USA
Just got this today.

I've heard good things about this book. It should be a good read.
#1342  August 01, 2014, 10:22:31 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
Hunger Games sooo ripped of Battle Royale.
#1343  August 02, 2014, 01:51:35 am
  • Internet User
    • USA

That's what I heard. Hunger Games is tweenage girl version.

Got some pretty good stuff at this gem of a store we found. MP 1 & 2 were both only 5 dollars, so was Robotech. Akira DVD was 6 dollars. I am pretty happy.  Spent a dollar over my 20$ allowance. All are complete, no scratches w/manuals. They came sealed so it was like they were brand new.
#1344  August 02, 2014, 05:37:39 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
pretty nice book still need to watch the movie probably going to do it tomorrow
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#1345  August 02, 2014, 11:29:02 am
  • all is love in fair and war
just bought 2 LED tvs today to replace the old tvs , for the living room and my bedroom, nothing special but it has port to be used as my second desktop screen... unlike my previous tv, nice upgrade... quite a hit on my wallet in one go like that.... have to work harder  :knife:
#1346  August 02, 2014, 06:30:53 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#1347  August 03, 2014, 12:11:14 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
#1348  August 03, 2014, 04:27:29 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#1349  August 03, 2014, 11:48:30 am
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
Why are the Legend of Valkyrie covers under Nintendo?
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#1350  August 03, 2014, 12:46:03 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Not really. It's not like Battle Royale didn't invent the concept of teenagers killing each other.
it did however invent the concept of closed off killing game zones where young people kill themselves for a huge award money and a chance of a better life while timed traps keep forcing them to move from one part to another while being provided weapons to kill each other with.
#1351  August 03, 2014, 03:53:36 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
The major differences are that

1) Battle Royale takes place within a classroom, while Hunger Games randomly picks two people from every district. The former has IMO more high stake because it's a fight to the death between kids who grew up with each other and have known each other for years. Hunger Games is like... one guy you might care about, tops?

2) Battle Royale has a three day limit. I lost track of how many times Katniss climbed up a tree and fell asleep in the first movie.

3) Battle Royale does not give a hot gay fuck if nobody wins. Hunger Games panics when two contestants try to commit suicide together and somehow this starts a revolution in the books and also gives Dashcon staff a way to tell people to shut up and pay attention in real life.
#1352  August 03, 2014, 06:09:43 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
it did however invent the concept of closed off killing game zones where young people kill themselves for a huge award money and a chance of a better life while timed traps keep forcing them to move from one part to another while being provided weapons to kill each other with.
Nah. That was almost a cliche by the time Battle Royale happened. Just off the top of my head, there's The Running Man (the movie, not the book). It's a pretty obvious idea: a GAME SHOW WHERE YOU MURDER PEOPLE, essentially. Hell, Death Race probably qualifies too. Battle Royale's only real innovation there is making it about teenagers, and that's not even worth mentioning.
#1353  August 03, 2014, 06:56:35 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#1354  August 03, 2014, 11:03:03 pm
  • Hate is just confused admiration.
    • USA
It's all the same in the end, matter and motion, simple or complex. No difference, finally. Death, transfiguration. Ashes to ashes and slime to slime, amen.

#1355  August 03, 2014, 11:08:18 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
1) Battle Royale takes place within a classroom, while Hunger Games randomly picks two people from every district. The former has IMO more high stake because it's a fight to the death between kids who grew up with each other and have known each other for years. Hunger Games is like... one guy you might care about, tops?

Classroom? Perhaps I'm thinking of some other series which ripped off Battle Royale....

I'm not a big fan of Apple, but that is one choice monitor there. Do they still fit the entire computer in the monitor? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
#1356  August 04, 2014, 06:41:01 am
  • Hate is just confused admiration.
    • USA

I'm not a big fan of Apple, but that is one choice monitor there. Do they still fit the entire computer in the monitor? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

[/quote]

Not a stupid question at all and yes they do. It is a very elegant looking piece of machinery, quiet as a mouse and I am loving it so far.
It's all the same in the end, matter and motion, simple or complex. No difference, finally. Death, transfiguration. Ashes to ashes and slime to slime, amen.

#1357  August 04, 2014, 09:00:26 pm
Recently, I took out my old Dreamcast out of my garage and saw that it still works; so I decided to buy some games for it.

Bought these off of eBay at a good price and both are in very good condition. My work weeks are gonna be fun now.   ;D
#1358  August 04, 2014, 09:20:08 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
#1359  August 04, 2014, 09:36:01 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
That boardgame looks purebadass. I wonder if I can find one here....
#1360  August 05, 2014, 12:54:41 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Yeah, the graphics are gorgeous, but what matters most is this horrible yet awesome game mechanics :
Those order tokens are what make Game of Thrones a Devious Bastard’s Game instead of a wargame. Come with me, friend, on a journey into the heart of darkness.

Every turn starts with all players simultaneously assigning orders to their armies by putting a token face-down in each region. These orders can be defensive, offensive, support, raids or the politics-boosting and entirely peaceful “Consolidate Power”. Only when everyone’s placed their orders are the tokens flipped and revealed, letting you see that your peaceful House Stark neighbours are raiding your lands, those Lannisters bordering you to the South have received marching orders while Baratheon aren’t, in fact, supporting your push East. Which is fine, because you probably aren’t doing anything you promised either.

[...]

The rules explicitly state that nobody can show anyone else an order token before they’re all flipped and made public, meaning alliances and cease-fires are at all times based on trust. The horror. Simply put, it’s this order token mechanic that makes Game of Thrones the fearsome, fantastic, entirely faithful game it is. Everything else is almost window dressing.

[...]

The thing is, even after you’ve flipped your order tokens it’s still possible for people to surprise one another, or wrangle new and ever wickeder deals.

One of the cruelest plays in the game is to tell a player you’ll support their attack, reveal a support token as normal, then actually support the other side when the battle is met. But you could go even further than that. Units that lose a battle are tipped on their side and considered “routed”, leaving said colossally odious player free to march on these routed attackers that were expecting your support, delivering the final blow that removes their miniatures from the game even as you conquer their territory.