YesNoOk

DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho (Read 7633 times)

Started by Thagr8test, September 02, 2015, 04:01:12 am
Share this topic:
DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho
#1  September 02, 2015, 04:01:12 am
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
I made this topic for general discussion of both anime's and I wanted to ask two questions

1 - which series do you like more?

2 - which saga do you feel was the best of the series?

I personally love both shows but would have to give the slight edge to yu yu hakusho for being a more story driven series imo and as far as sagas go for Dbz I feel the buu saga was the best because of all the twists and turns the story takes throughout the course of it, my only real disappointment with the saga was piccolo never fights at all which I feel was a waste his match with supreme kai should have at least had theme fight for a while with piccolo ultimately bowing out but I digress. For yu yu hakusho I feel the dark tournament saga is easily the strongest because of all the character development as well as the awesome fights. My only complaint about this saga is the handling yususke's motivation to tap into his true power which I won't spoil but it was contrived and unconvincing but that aside it was a great story

and here's something I came across on youtube that you guys might like

https://youtu.be/r_8R61pprko?t=2m33s
Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:05:20 am by Thagr8test
Re: DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho
#2  September 02, 2015, 04:06:48 am
    • USA
Having great knowledge of both. Without hesitation Yu Yu Hakusho. My reasons?
1. The character development
2. Less clutch
3. Yusuke
4. Urimeshi
Dark tournament is the best! The series was kinda rushed at the end, but I still love it for what it is.
I'm a huge dbz fan it's just all the characters are kinda just brushed aside for Goku.
#3  September 02, 2015, 04:33:42 am
  • Here every now and then...
    • USA
    • zboyx8@live.com
Spoilers Ahead, you've been warned xD

I love both shows as they were both gems from my childhood that got me into anime as a whole(among other shows). However if I had to pick one it would be DBZ. It just has so many memories for me and it was my first anime ever. Not to mention I grew up more with DBZ as merchandising for Yu Yu Hakusho; in the west anyway, is rather scarce. At least for me anyway. I had tons of DBZ toys, games, manga volumes , DVDs and even band aids. Let's just say that DBZ was much more involved in my life and upbringing than Yu Yu Hakusho. I still love it though as it's one of the many great memories I have with my brother as he introduced me to DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho.  Best Saga eh? Well for DBZ I'd hae to say the Android/Cell Saga because I really liked the idea of the Androids and how the RR Army from DB was in a small way,still alive and planning their revenge on Goku. Not to mention my favorite DBZ character :Trunks is introduced in this Saga. For Yu Yu Hakusho it would have to be the Demon Tournament (Or Dark Tournament I forget) for me. So damn much happened in that one arc: Yoko Kurama, Kuabara grows balls, Hiei pulls the best stunt ever by absorbing the Dragon of the Darkness Flame, Genkai dies and Yusuke realizes that his power comes from his love for his friends. When Kuabara "Died" I won't lie I was choked up as I didn't see it coming. Only for him to be faking the whole time XD. Both are awesome shows with their own awesome legacies but DBZ has my top spot
Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:18:21 am by zboyx8
#4  September 02, 2015, 04:40:06 am
    • USA
I love both shows as they were both gems from my childhood that got me into anime as a whole(among other shows). However if I had to pick one it would be DBZ. It just has so many memories for me and it was my first anime ever. Not to mention I grew up more with DBZ as merchandising for Yu Yu Hakusho; in the west anyway, is rather scarce. At least for me anyway. I had tons of DBZ toys, games, manga volumes , DVDs and even band aids. Let's just say that DBZ was much more involved in my life and upbringing than Yu Yu Hakusho. I still love it though as it's one of the many great memories I have with my brother as he introduced me to DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho.  Best Saga eh? Well for DBZ I'd hae to say the Android/Cell Saga because I really liked the idea of the Androids and how the RR Army from DB was in a small way,still alive and planning their revenge on Goku. Not to mention my favorite DBZ character :Trunks is introduced in this Saga. For Yu Yu Hakusho it would have to be the Demon Tournament (Or Dark Tournament I forget) for me. So damn much happened in that one arc: Yoko Kurama, Kuabara grows balls, Hiei pulls the best stunt ever by absorbing the Dragon of the Darkness Flame, Genkai dies and Yusuke realizes that his power comes from his love for his friends. When Kuabara "Died" I won't lie I was choked up as I didn't see it coming. Only for him to be faking the whole time XD. Both are awesome shows with their own awesome legacies but DBZ has my top spot

Whew the spoilers in there... Hope no one is planning to watch it lol.
For both I'd say watching in Japanese will give you a completely outlook.

Bea

#5  September 02, 2015, 04:44:57 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Yu Yu Hakusho has much deeper and more interesting villains,
Young Toguro and Sensui being prime examples.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#6  September 02, 2015, 05:52:40 am
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
Yeah i agree bea sensui was my favorite villain of the series and i feel the way the show took elements of dbz and built upon them was misunderstood by some viewers as them trying to duplicate dbz which is why it doesn't have the fanbase dbz does. My favorite character is hiei because you gotta love a good anti hero
#7  September 02, 2015, 09:02:50 am
taguro is my favourite... you're not worth even 5% of my power.
#8  September 02, 2015, 09:06:20 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
hunter x hunter

lui

#9  September 02, 2015, 09:16:50 am
    • USA
Akame ga Kill is the best :P

nah seriously, i love yu yu hakusho, it just feels alot better in terms of tone, depth and development. not to mention i watched it with my father and father-son bonding over anime is fucking awesome.
#10  September 02, 2015, 09:23:34 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I used to like DBZ until the Cell Saga and then it just felt like there was no direction after that. I liked Yu Yu Hakusho's premise at first (he was a GHOST DETECTIVE), but then after it started focusing on tournaments I liked it significantly less.

lui

#11  September 02, 2015, 09:24:48 am
    • USA
that's how the 90's were, tournaments all of a sudden in anime's was a fad that im glad stopped in recent years.
#12  September 02, 2015, 09:53:31 am
hxh even had one of those too. but it wasn't really important.
#13  September 02, 2015, 02:08:13 pm
Yu Yu Hakusho.
character were more human and fights were better choreographed.
also Hiei was a badass.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#14  September 02, 2015, 04:48:23 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I used to like DBZ until the Cell Saga and then it just felt like there was no direction after that.
DBZ as a whole is Toriyama thinking on his feet, the Buu saga isn't any worse, it just looks worse 'cause it gives the wrong impression that the two subplots are going anywhere.
#15  September 05, 2015, 02:14:47 am
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
1. Dragon Ball Z, evidently. More sentimental value, better art/animation (though more varied), and imo better fight scenes.... though YYH has a better plot and FAR better use of characters.

2. I haven't finished re-watching Yu Yu Hakusho (it's a bit of blur to me now) yet and I hear the really good stuff happens sometime post-Dark Tournament, so I'd say the Namek/Freeza Saga.
#16  September 06, 2015, 03:44:29 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
I watching and i ain't stop re-watching both of them, mainly Yu Yu Hakusho, really one of the great anime series that i ever seen. :)
#17  September 06, 2015, 10:20:29 am
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
how do you guys feels about the voice acting in the funimation dub compared to the voice acting in kai? I know a lot of people don't like kai at all but I watched some of the scenes recently and I feel like some scenes were actually done better in kai for example the scene where goku has a vision while frieza is drowning him the VA for goku in kai had a lot more emotion in his voice
#18  September 07, 2015, 01:41:17 am
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
how do you guys feels about the voice acting in the funimation dub compared to the voice acting in kai? I know a lot of people don't like kai at all but I watched some of the scenes recently and I feel like some scenes were actually done better in kai for example the scene where goku has a vision while frieza is drowning him the VA for goku in kai had a lot more emotion in his voice

To think it took then over 10 years to get it right...
#19  September 07, 2015, 01:51:59 am
  • Here every now and then...
    • USA
    • zboyx8@live.com

The only voice in Kai that I absolutely hate is Kid/Teen Gohan's. He sounds like a little girl. Everyone else though is passable. 
#20  September 07, 2015, 02:44:59 pm
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
^^I agree 100%