YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread (Read 2973307 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 09:51:37 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread
#6621  September 21, 2019, 12:25:20 am
  • BRAIIIIINS!!
  • "Khh- Ahahahaha!"
    • Chile
#6622  September 21, 2019, 02:52:04 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com

Another test, CVS Sailor Venus. Didn't like the (viewer's) left arm and the hair, but couldn't do any better. lol

The main reason it isn't working is because you are trying too hard to make it look exactly like the original reference sprite. It doesn't end up being a CvS sprite, but more like a sprite from a different game but resized and has some CvS-ish colors slapped on. If you're gonna convert a sprite from one style to another, you gotta make changes to make sure it ends up meshing well with the target style. Making these changes can also help prevent things like that awkward looking viewer's right arm (which might have worked in the original game's style, but doesn't here).

I played around with your sprite (Lord knows I need the practice) and got this out of it. I used Iori, Hibiki, and Athena (mostly Athena) as my references:

It's probably not the greatest example, but it gets the point across. A style-to-style conversion requires a full makeover; you can't just make it a carbon copy.
This is a generic forum signature.
#6623  September 21, 2019, 10:08:14 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
@apathy: I understand perfectly. From looking at Capcom sprites I can tell that some proportions are very exagerated (a good example is how they draw hands bigger than normal), among other things. I can clearly see how you changed the hair on my sprite to match the hair on CvS too. I'll try to not just draw over the existing reference image but actually change the style. I'm only afraid that such changes will make it look like another character, if you know what I mean. Thank you for the feedback!

And thanks Sabockee and Neko for your comments as well! ;D
#6624  September 21, 2019, 01:27:27 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Yeah, that's the hardest part about it, and I've had a good number of times where the end result felt like a different character altogether.

Just keep practicing, you're in a good direction, as Sabockee mentioned.
This is a generic forum signature.
#6625  September 24, 2019, 10:31:10 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com

second try at cvs does this fit in here?
#6626  September 25, 2019, 04:10:56 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
That looks like a good fit.
#6627  September 26, 2019, 11:25:12 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland

Mecha Frieza Mecha Juri. 32 colors.
#6628  October 01, 2019, 08:15:56 am
    • crepa.neocities.org

edit: looking now she got too small and this pose isn't helping. whatever...
Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:24:30 am by who cares
#6629  October 02, 2019, 09:05:48 am
    • crepa.neocities.org

Fixed I think?
#6630  October 02, 2019, 06:36:14 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland

Fixed I think?

Looks better, DeathScythe.

Size and proportions look pretty good now (however there's still some space for improvement).
Light source is applied rather properly, although her visible foot could use some work. I would also add some shading to the torso - it looks flat (use anti-alias color to add some volume to it).
You should also put more attention to make lines cleaner. They look iffy in some places.

Overall it looks really decent. Don't give up and keep practicing.
#6631  October 02, 2019, 06:45:51 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Looks better, DeathScythe.

Size and proportions look pretty good now (however there's still some space for improvement).
Light source is applied rather properly, although her visible foot could use some work. I would also add some shading to the torso - it looks flat (use anti-alias color to add some volume to it).
You should also put more attention to make lines cleaner. They look iffy in some places.

Overall it looks really decent. Don't give up and keep practicing.

Thanks for the advices, will practice more.
#6632  October 02, 2019, 09:13:04 pm
  • BRAIIIIINS!!
  • "Khh- Ahahahaha!"
    • Chile
#6633  October 02, 2019, 09:25:34 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
You would be a great spriter actually

Thanks Neko. I still want to make a character for Mugen with my own sprites, but I want to make sure I'm good enough before starting. First things first, I want to become good at static sprites first, once I feel I'm ready I'll jump into animations.
#6634  October 07, 2019, 05:00:33 am
    • lioipaz2010@hotmail.com
Hello, this is my wip of cvsleona heidern and she is 13% done. I'm using the dampir's sprites as base for the size and adding new frames. I don't sure if add the shine in the hair... All feedback are welcome.

I was trying to fix Dampir sprites a long time ago lol, but i never finished due my studies. The feedback I received was due to the hair because it had no shine, so i added and fix some things:

Currently i'm trying to improve some things, because I'm not sure about her posture lol.
Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:24:47 am by Rhythmical
#6635  October 07, 2019, 05:14:46 am
  • BRAIIIIINS!!
  • "Khh- Ahahahaha!"
    • Chile
Hello, this is my wip of cvsleona heidern and she is 13% done. I'm using the dampir's sprites as base for the size and adding new frames. I don't sure if add the shine in the hair... All feedback are welcome.

I was trying to fix Dampir sprites a long time ago lol, but i never finished due my studies. The feedback I received was due to the hair because it had no shine, so i added and fix some things:

Currently i'm trying to improve some things, because I'm bad at animations lol.

The edits you made are actually really good, I like the shine the hair has
#6636  October 07, 2019, 11:41:26 am
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Your edits are already a huge improvement to dampir's sprites - they look good overall.

But if you want them to look 100% cvs, you need to fix the light source as well.
I've made a quick edit. It's a bit rushed but it shows my point.

I'm not sure if it's worth of your effort though. It depends on you.

Besides that, there's one thing you have to fix - add anti-alias to her torso - now it looks inconsistent in comparison to her shorts.
#6637  October 07, 2019, 02:04:25 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
really good job right there
#6638  October 08, 2019, 08:02:03 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland

cvs Sodom. Without color limitation on the left and slightly pathetic attempt to turn it to 16 colors on the right.
#6639  October 08, 2019, 09:57:58 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Awesome job on Sodom, sabockee. :c00l:

I tried to fit it into the 15 colors limit too. :P
#6640  October 08, 2019, 10:11:41 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...

Currently i'm trying to improve some things, because I'm not sure about her posture lol.

I'm so hyped to see you finally continued this project.
I think you talk about it in another board and I was thinking it would be cancelled.

few days ago, I suggested Dampir to use your sprites as a reference, because I really like the fact you add you own touch on it.
Really looks like some choice Capcom would do in CVS.

I hove you will not cancell it and perhaps works together with Dampir.
If both your projects can collide together.