YesNoOk

What ruins a mugen character for you? (Read 98016 times)

Started by luis2345, December 02, 2013, 09:23:47 am
Share this topic:
Re: What ruins a mugen character for you?
#241  May 08, 2014, 10:11:46 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
How about stealing the sprites of one author's original creation to make something else, like that conversion of Pewdiepie that uses sprites from Rikard's Rikard?
I didn't realize that was STEALING... Sounds like they are just using something that is available to use.

Much like everyone in this community does with Capcom, SNK etc. sprites.

But maybe I'm crazy!
#242  May 09, 2014, 01:51:26 pm
  • Where's Gohan!
    • USA
    • E_Harrington19@hotmail.com
The MUGEN community is very hypocritical when it comes to original work. By that logic, major companys would have shut MUGEN down a long time ago. I've had my own sprite work used in other people's projects before without credit. I don't mind. I'm not a programmer, so they technically did me a favor. It's all fan art in the long run.
#243  May 09, 2014, 07:26:40 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
How about stealing the sprites of one author's original creation to make something else, like that conversion of Pewdiepie that uses sprites from Rikard's Rikard?
I didn't realize that was STEALING... Sounds like they are just using something that is available to use.

Much like everyone in this community does with Capcom, SNK etc. sprites.

But maybe I'm crazy!
The MUGEN community is very hypocritical when it comes to original work. By that logic, major companys would have shut MUGEN down a long time ago. I've had my own sprite work used in other people's projects before without credit. I don't mind. I'm not a programmer, so they technically did me a favor. It's all fan art in the long run.

It becomes stealing when it's someone who made the stuff themselves FROM SCRATCH mind you and the person who took it didn't ask permission to use it. But that's not enforced so whatever. The reason big companies don't care about what we do is because they called it fan art and they know we're not making profit off of it.

The big misconception of this comes from when people say WELL HEY YOU'RE JUST STEALING STUFF FROM CAPCOM. Which is not true given that we as a community asked them about their opinion on the matter. Meaning they were aware we are doing this. Stealing comes from taking something without the first party being aware of it or giving their graces to do so. It doesn't boil down to asking because you should. It becomes asking out of respect for something someone else spent their priceless time on.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#244  May 09, 2014, 07:37:34 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
It becomes stealing when it's someone who made the stuff themselves FROM SCRATCH mind you and the person who took it didn't ask permission to use it. But that's not enforced so whatever. The reason big companies don't care about what we do is because they called it fan art and they know we're not making profit off of it.

The big misconception of this comes from when people say WELL HEY YOU'RE JUST STEALING STUFF FROM CAPCOM. Which is not true given that we as a community asked them about their opinion on the matter. Meaning they were aware we are doing this. Stealing comes from taking something without the first party being aware of it or giving their graces to do so. It doesn't boil down to asking because you should. It becomes asking out of respect for something someone else spent their priceless time on.
Hummm... When you put it that way.

Kamekaze, I think you may have changed my opinion on this subject. Thanks for taking the time to reply on this.
#245  May 09, 2014, 08:12:04 pm
    • Germany

Afaik only Capcom and SNK "don't care" about it, and consider Mugen Chars,stages and Games as Fanart, but in most cases it is still stealing, because the Mugen community "don't cares" and uses stuff from many games, and from many companies without asking them for permission to use there stuff.

Because we all now that not all companies are like capcom in terms of fanwork, many companies could and would probably sue the crap out of the community if they believe, that they have to do it to defend there IP's because of the US Copyright laws etc.

#246  May 09, 2014, 08:53:21 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world

Afaik only Capcom and SNK "don't care" about it, and consider Mugen Chars,stages and Games as Fanart, but in most cases it is still stealing, because the Mugen community "don't cares" and uses stuff from many games, and from many companies without asking them for permission to use there stuff.

Because we all now that not all companies are like capcom in terms of fanwork, many companies could and would probably sue the crap out of the community if they believe, that they have to do it to defend there IP's because of the US Copyright laws etc.

Very few companies care at all about what we do and the ones that do have sent C&D orders in the past that we've complied with out of, you guessed it, respect. That's what all of this should be about. No one should have enforce not being a douche about using someone else's stuff.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#247  May 09, 2014, 11:34:04 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
french bread just send a polite email to japanese mugen creators to stop distribution of mugen chars based on their works, that's all it took, not even a C&D, info leaked to this side of the comunity and we folowed thru as well; before the emails by capcom and snk that explicitly gave us permission capcom and snk releases were limited to old games, recent games did not get stuff made from them.
#248  May 12, 2014, 10:29:55 pm
  • Pixel Animator
  • "I'm done trying with you."
    • USA
I'd like to add characters that have a overuse the "screenshake" state.
When even weak melee attacks cause the screen to move up and down, I stopped getting a feeling of "weight" to their attacks, just making me dizzy. heh heh
#249  May 13, 2014, 03:39:00 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I'd like to add characters that have a overuse the "screenshake" state.
When even weak melee attacks cause the screen to move up and down, I stopped getting a feeling of "weight" to their attacks, just making me dizzy. heh heh

Rajaa's Maki does that on every attack she makes a hit on. But I'm cool with the screen shaking. Adds more "ooh!" and "ouch!" there in my opinion.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#250  May 13, 2014, 09:22:28 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I hate sudden loud noises, like I had this one crappy BIS Mario that was a Luigi spriteswap, and when I used his pepper attack, it sounded like a goddang rocket launching at like, 75% volume...
#251  May 16, 2014, 05:44:24 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
- Impossible A.I.
- Awkward animation/sprites
- OPed super moves (OPed anything is bad but super moves are the worst because they can be indefensible)
- General lack of creativity or originality
#252  May 18, 2014, 04:26:02 am
  • You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance
- Moonwalking
- Lack of hit pause / wrong hit pause time
- Awkward animation
- Continuous jump-over-opponent with no auto turn when landing
- Default Mugen hitsparks and hit sounds  :wacky:
Fighting games with emphasis on non-regular characters:
http://www.youtube.com/krizalid99v2
#253  May 19, 2014, 03:56:16 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
- Default Mugen hitsparks and hit sounds  :wacky:
I found it too dull myself... so I used the MvC2 hitsparks and sounds as my default ones. Took me a while to get the alignment for the hitsparks right.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#254  May 26, 2014, 10:30:26 pm
    • Hungary
    • smhungary89@gamil.com
- Choppy animations
- Ruined palettes
- Lame voice clips
- Weak AI
- Crappy moves
- Poorly edits
- No intro, and/or winpose
- Too many CLSN on one animation
- Creators who still use GameMakeAnime, and MakeDust controllers
- Creators who use false parameters like: volumescale, projscreenbound, superpausemovetime, nobgpalfx, flag1, velset = 0,0,0
- Creators who use helper type aura with CLSN boxes, or explods with CLSN boxes.

Oh and I almost forgot. Bad Dragon Ball Z chars by FRS games. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd48C8gNnWc
Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:35:03 pm by smhungary89
#255  June 05, 2014, 05:47:39 pm
  • Your sweet baby brother
  • Young, dumb, and full of...you know ;)
    • USA
    • dcastaneda2011@yahoo.com
Gonna go with what Jango said on page 8 about chars that rely too much on random humor, considering that most of the things made by the kids on YT fall under this category. I mean, they've must think that they'll earn a place in the same MUGEN pantheon as The_None by cramming as many random throwaway gags into a char (and somehow neglecting to focus on things like balance or gameplay mechanics).
#256  June 06, 2014, 07:31:23 am
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
Yeaaaah im shootign ducks wiht the paino
#257  June 06, 2014, 12:51:35 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I really don't like KOF, Sammy or MvC styled characters. KOF's chaining feels really slow and off, Sammy's too complicated, and I suck at Aerial Raves, although most of the time the character jumps too high or too low. 
#258  June 06, 2014, 02:43:55 pm
    • Hungary
    • smhungary89@gamil.com
chars that rely too much on random humor, considering that most of the things made by the kids on YT fall under this category.
You mean those stupid meme chars for example?
#259  June 06, 2014, 03:29:21 pm
  • This big boy spitting out 250 rounds a minute!!!
    • USA
    • https://infiniteff.forumotion.com/t533-all-chars-by-rce-akir-jeanne-d-arc-released
- A character wiht bad spriting
- A character that fills incomplete due to it not having enough sprites as it should
- Horrible coding
- Bad collision boxes
- Insane A.I.
- Ugly palettes
- Bad choice of sound FX (I'm that type of guy, if the sound effects are messed up, then it ruins the characters to me)
#260  June 06, 2014, 05:19:59 pm
  • Your sweet baby brother
  • Young, dumb, and full of...you know ;)
    • USA
    • dcastaneda2011@yahoo.com
This is in response to Daniel's question.

Well...TheIranSonic and the aforementioned sgdr991 are prime examples of YT-based authors who seem to value juvenile random humor over good coding. Hell, I remember when TIS just stole code from Omega Tiger Woods and Dee Bee Kaw (the shrimpbus and Pepsi can, respectively) for use in his self-insert character. As for sgdr991...well, I've said all I needed to say about him when I talked about his utterly tasteless George edit.

Yeah, those are the only ones that come to mind.