YesNoOk

Last game you stopped playing + 2 lines review. (Read 1004134 times)

Started by Foobs, April 10, 2011, 01:44:39 am
Share this topic:
Re: Last game you stopped playing + 2 lines review.
#681  February 16, 2017, 02:23:12 am
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Skyrim (Ps3)

And this is because after starting a new game from the main menu for the hell of it, I learned how Bethseda likes to make their save system work the ass backwards way. The very fucking act of picking "New" from the main menu was apparently enough to wipe out my main save where my redguard character, level 22 with several quests done,. Without a single fucking warning, its gone. Completely. And this is even though I saved my new character onto a completely empty save slot without overwriting a fucking thing.

And it turns out this is because I had saved over the Prisoner save that gets made when you hit "New" and I was supposed to load THAT save file to start a 2nd character, not hit the NEW GAME option, nah that's just stupid of me! I should have been precognizant and known it'd just nuke my old save! Yeah. Not even so much as a "Hey this is gonna delete your old character file if you pick new game, that cool?"

I mean, not like separate character saves could be a thing, not like you coul have different sets of saves representing different charcters, nah that's just a pipe dream oh fucking wait Mass Effect does that exact fucking thing. But apparently Bethesda thinks a game of this scope should have a save system straight out of fucking Pokemon. So if you have  a save with a suepr buffed up Level 99 Nord Vampire Lord and your kid sister starts a new file rom the menu because she wants to play your swords-and-dragons game and play as a pretty cat lady, goodbye old save file! All because that "Prisoner" save was so important! Fuck common sense, fuck warning the player, fuck separate profiles, they're Bethesda, they do shit their way, apparently.

Yeah, I'm dropping this fucking game. Wish I knew beforehand that this game runs on the Pokemon save system in disguise.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#682  February 16, 2017, 02:31:04 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sorry to hear that man
But yea,Bethesda introduced autosaves/quick saves with Morrowind and unless you do hard saves,your game will just get overwritten on the next character

Also
Postal 2
Silent Hill 2 level
With evil grenade throwing Gary Colemans
And cat tornadoes
And suspicious chinese food that creates zombies
This is a good game
#683  February 16, 2017, 02:33:59 am
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
@MightyKombat

Don't play the PS3 version. It's the worst version from what I've heard.
#684  February 16, 2017, 02:37:23 am
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
I did do a hard save for my old charcter. I would have thought saving my new one on a whole new blank file and having my old one as a separate hard save by itself woudl be fine, or hell, just choosing "New" from the main menu, wouldn't be enough to erase my old file without warning. But nah it seems that one Prisoner auto save is THAT vital and Bethesda would rather do things the ass backwards way and not the way Namco, Square or Bioware do it.

@MightyKombat

Don't play the PS3 version. It's the worst version from what I've heard.

It did freeze on me a scant few times and the framerates tended to dip but it wasn't as catastrophically bad as I heard up til now. I was playing the Legendary Edition though if that helps.

But not anymore, fuck this game and fuck the way Bethesda does save files. I'll probably start a new file on Mass Effect or Final Fantasy PSP just to remember how sensible companies do save systems.

DW

#685  February 16, 2017, 02:52:45 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
That happened to me as well, with the PS3 version of Skyrim years ago. However, I lost an lv 80+ char... It was my only char for months, before I had the bright notion to make a new one. When I noticed it saved over my other char, I turned the game in. That was like a year and a half ago though. I got the special edition now on PS4. With it's barely fruitful mods and now newly imposed 100 mod DL limit, regardless of free space you have on the system... Man it hurts...
#686  February 16, 2017, 02:53:55 am
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
I'm probably better off just getting the fucking Switch version or something. Bethesda's on my shitlist for this now.

DW

#687  February 16, 2017, 02:56:06 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Nah. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will have the same restrictions as Sony when it comes to mods. Best version you could get, on consoles, is the Xbone version. I'm going to get an Xbone myself before the year is up. Try to catch one for the low, as I only want a few games for it. Fallout 4 and Skyrim being the main targets.
#688  February 16, 2017, 03:03:23 am
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Maybe I'll get it on Steam the day I get a better PC.
#689  February 16, 2017, 03:04:58 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Plus the console modding is restricted to only using the stuff the game itself provides
You wont be able to fight dragons as Jonathan Joestar wielding a Buster Blade on 'em.Nor will you be able to use some of the more complicated mods,which sucks.

If anything just grab a PC version illegally (for now) as Skyrim SE is 40 bucks atm which is nuts for a game that old that only got a small engine upgrade

DW

#690  February 16, 2017, 03:07:19 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Problem solved then lol. If you really want to take advantage of all the mods and everything, PC is the way to go. I do want to note though, that the special edition of the game doesn't do that save over your char crap. It makes a separate file for each new char you make. I have like 4 different chars now on PS4 and that never happened. I guess it's too little too late though eh? LOL, I'm with that. I stopped playing the game/turned it in for 2 years. I don't blame you for being upset.
#691  February 16, 2017, 03:13:08 am
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Plus the console modding is restricted to only using the stuff the game itself provides
You wont be able to fight dragons as Jonathan Joestar wielding a Buster Blade on 'em.Nor will you be able to use some of the more complicated mods,which sucks.

If anything just grab a PC version illegally (for now) as Skyrim SE is 40 bucks atm which is nuts for a game that old that only got a small engine upgrade

Yeah, a game with an assbackwards Pokemon-style One Character Save Only Or Fuck You at that price? That can go choke on every bowl of dick on the planet. I wouldn't even charge more than £15 for it honestly.

Problem solved then lol. If you really want to take advantage of all the mods and everything, PC is the way to go. I do want to note though, that the special edition of the game doesn't do that save over your char crap. It makes a separate file for each new char you make. I have like 4 different chars now on PS4 and that never happened. I guess it's too little too late though eh? LOL, I'm with that. I stopped playing the game/turned it in for 2 years. I don't blame you for being upset.

......forgive me for this but WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THAT FUCKING SEPARATE FILE FOR NEW CHAR SHIT ON CONSOLES THEN?[/i] Jesus fucking wept, Bethesda just because you wanna have different ideas doesn't mean they turn out good! Mass Effect's console ports do that, its not fucking hard! God its like they want people to see them as mind-bogglingly incompetent.
#692  February 16, 2017, 11:12:26 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
If I may interject, I've been able to have two different game saves in Skyrim. Before I begin, I should say I was playing the Legendary Edition on XBox 360.

From what I remember, each time I manually saved the game it would add to a list of game saves that I could load at any time in case I screwed something up or my game crashed. When I started a new playthrough and eventually saved the game, I was able to still access my old one on that list. You have to manually save the game though because I believe auto saves eventually get deleted from the list.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense, I'm not very good at explaining things.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:17:02 am by ShiroTori
#693  February 16, 2017, 04:20:36 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
I see. I did try that and I still lost my old save file. Kinda wish I saved that to a new fresh extra file as well now.
#694  February 16, 2017, 06:16:43 pm
  • For honor!
And here I sit comfortably with about 10 different Dark Souls characters on my HD grinning at you fools for selecting the wrong RPG.
Iroha stripped for me
#695  February 16, 2017, 06:54:27 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Nah,all TES games also allow you to play multiple chars at the same time without issue,its just that the prisoner save that Mighty uses is the automatic save done after character creation so it got overwritten.
Also I'd prolly be all over DS if the PC port wasnt such giant bullshit aaaaaaaa
#696  February 16, 2017, 07:30:32 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
And here I sit comfortably with about 10 different Dark Souls characters on my HD grinning at you fools for selecting the wrong RPG.

Fucking tell me about it. At least Final Fantasy 2 on PSP hasn't done this shit to me yet and I heard horror stories about FF2. When your multi-million dollar-earning epic scale RPG uses the save system out of fucking Pokemon, yeah you kinda fucked up.
#697  February 17, 2017, 03:01:49 am
  • For honor!
Wasn't there a mod that fixes dark souls or something I wouldn't know my laptop can only almost run the pc version.

Also to be fair Poke'mon itself is kinda in that multi million dollar earning rpg category
Iroha stripped for me
#698  February 17, 2017, 05:58:52 am
WOO ACTUALLY GOT SOME TIME TO PLAY SOME VIDEO GAMES

Yakuza 3

So I had no experience with the Yakuza series, but a few youtubers I'm subbed to started giving Yakuza 0 some attention, I think it was Jim Sterling's video I saw first, and it grabbed me immediately. I bought 0, played the first chapter, and loved every second of it. After that I stopped, and started looking into the rest of the series, seeing what was worth playing and what I could get my hands on. I picked up 4 from PSN at a decent price and started there, but had only played for an hour or so (and loved it) before I stumbled across a used copy of 3 for an even better price so I thought why not, especially because I found the summary videos of it in 4 really confusing and hard to follow (I understood 1 and 2's just fine).

This was a mistake.

This game feels incredibly dated. Moving around feels very bad, with Kiryu jumping forward as soon as you even touch the stick. He feels a little too big and awkward in the world outside of combat, in a way that makes everything feel incredibly artificial and shoddily made. It reminds me of a JRPG in this sense. Also the second boss I ran into--the first being ridiculously easy--had QTE button-mashes which I failed pretty much every time unless I stopped holding the controller properly and mashed with two fingers on the same button. Also, the graphics and overall feel is just bad, it feels worse than some PS2 games I remember outside of cutscenes, and even the cutscenes and voice acting don't save it because it has a moment in a cutscene then will switch to a text-based dialog infodump to convey the meat behind the scene. The tone is just really weird, too. The entire thing feels very Dreamcast, and I mean that mostly in a bad way. Also a random golf minigame happened. What even was that.

I love what I've seen of the series, for reasons I'll talk about when I play more of the more recent games and post about them, but this is one installment too far back to be enjoyable. Don't go there unless you have a high tolerance for janky movement, low immersion, ridiculous amounts of text, and bullshit bosses. The story seems at least acceptable, but not enough to make me sit through all that for.
#699  February 17, 2017, 07:11:39 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Wasn't there a mod that fixes dark souls or something I wouldn't know my laptop can only almost run the pc version.

Also to be fair Poke'mon itself is kinda in that multi million dollar earning rpg category

Yes and its still a stupidass save system. Its 2017 I think by now Nintendo can do a secure multi-save file system by now. Come on, fucking guy!

Oh and I checked, Mass Effect 1 on PS3 let me start a whole new Shepard and reload my previous ones just fine so Bethesda can eat my chode.
#700  February 22, 2017, 04:30:15 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Hatred

Finally got to play this crazy game, I like dual stick shooters and this games
Alright besides all the mass shooting innocent civilians stuff.  The movement
could use some work sometimes its hard trying to run from cops and the character
Gets stuck on shit(glitch) or doesn't auto jump over stuff.  I'm stuck on the level
Where you go to the army base to get c4 so you could blow up the nuclear power
Plant, fuck those soldiers are hard firing at you from every angle and then they
Git a hummvee at the gate firing on you too! I might just quit it at this point I've
Been trying to beat this level for the past 3 hours..