YesNoOk

WSMIP Budokai - Beta 03 (Read 9937 times)

Started by The_None, September 12, 2018, 11:47:54 pm
Share this topic:
WSMIP Budokai - Beta 03
#1  September 12, 2018, 11:47:54 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends/
Y'know, as of last few months I was been actually a bit too down to start a new personal project of mine (something I hope I'd be able to eventually change), so I've decided the next best course is to pick up something I used to work on ages ago and tidy it up for the release. And thus today I'm bringing you, of all things....

An honest-to-god Mugen fullgame. This was in fact originally a project by @Smogon, who came up with the concept and most of the character designs (based on the people he knew from the university he attended) and spritework (done by his MS-Paint skills), while I've been assigned as a coder. Ever since I've finished up the Dragon Tank few years ago (something that did take it's previous owner quite a while until I took up on it) I've considered picking up the project to complete what Smogon was set out to do, and - after briefly returning to the project at the beggining of 2016 - I finally took it upon myself two months ago to get to the stage it currently is, which required additional sprites (thanks to my vector animation abilities), stages and large changes to the code. I hope Smogon - who is nowadays busy with his band. I actually tried to contact him but the last time we were ever in touch was ages ago. I've sent him an e-mail last time in around 2014 and got no response, and when I stumbled upon his band's site in 2016 I've realized he changed his adress, but my personal issues have prevented me from going forward. And then when I tried to reach him again two months ago his website change to just a still image and a YouTube embed of a recent single, no contact information anywhere  - wouldn't mind me working on the project on my own accord.

Anyway, this is a silly project we were doing for fun ages ago. This was meant to be a more casual oriented combo-friendly fighter with controls on a simplier side (altho' thanks to the game running on Mugen 1.1 I could make the AI as hard on the hardest settings as I felt like it), and because of the casual nature (and the beta stage) the balance may not be exactly there. I'll admit I was quite to blame for the relatively slow progress on the project as back when we were collaborating I sort of preferred my own personal projects, but now that I picked this up I may as well embrace the silliness. I am very full aware that this is a mess of sorts, at least I hope it's an entertaining mess. And besides, 2018 happens to be a year when what was left of a certain other long-awaited project was unearthed, so why not follow the train?

As of now the beta contains around 9 out of 11 planned playable characters. Some elements would no doubt be subject to change, especially the soundtrack and some of the stages, that are basically placeholders.

Spoiler: More screenshots (click to see content)

Enlist at this page right there.
Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:14:27 pm by The_None
Re: WSMIP Budokai - Beta 01
#2  September 13, 2018, 03:00:42 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
looks funny.. good work
Re: WSMIP Budokai - Beta 02
#3  December 29, 2019, 01:08:29 am
I'll admit that I thought this thread would've been more..... "lively" in terms of replies and such. Not sure if this is the case of the project not really finding it's audience or my inability to properly present it, or perhaps a sign of the engine itself waning in relevance to the point that people stopped caring about new releases altogether (not like I can blame them). I would've perhaps delivered something much more interesting but this year was quite a rough one for me, full of periods of my attitude not doing wonders and even hard drive woes making me wait up until I got these sorted out before proceeding further (I've got things backed up, no worries.) As much as I lament my drought of releases, I merely did what I could muster for this year, and so I present you......

Yes, as this is a season for guest characters in fighting games nowadays, Franko from the cult beat-em up has joined the fray, sprited from scratch fully by yours truly. I've also delivered a proper mid-boss - just below the would be final boss in the boss chain - and other characters have also received plenty of updates. I've also redrew some stages to make them all mostly original now.

Spoiler: More screenshots (click to see content)
Spoiler: Changelog since Beta 01 (click to see content)

Get it at this page right there.
Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:20:43 am by The_None
#4  December 29, 2019, 12:29:05 pm
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
This looks rad, will give it a look soon :D
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#5  December 29, 2019, 08:12:51 pm
  • R.I.P Mugen 1999-202X
    • USA
    • mugen.wikia.com/User:Jenngra505
I'll admit that I thought this thread would've been more..... "lively" in terms of replies and such. Not sure if this is the case of the project not really finding it's audience or my inability to properly present it, or perhaps a sign of the engine itself waning in relevance to the point that people stopped caring about new releases altogether (not like I can blame them).
It's because most discussion has moved to the Discord.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to make the little puffball on my profile pic.
(Sprite edited from Scrollboss' sprite)
#6  December 29, 2019, 09:15:55 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
I'll admit that I thought this thread would've been more..... "lively" in terms of replies and such. Not sure if this is the case of the project not really finding it's audience or my inability to properly present it, or perhaps a sign of the engine itself waning in relevance to the point that people stopped caring about new releases altogether (not like I can blame them).

Also another thing that isn't helping this thread being lively is the fact that there isn't updates for it other than this one, I mean this thing could have it's own full game development page and I'm sure i'd muster up more attention rather than just on the releases thread.

EDIT: Found two infinites: https://streamable.com/mcqg2  https://streamable.com/soy02
Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:51:00 pm by Amidweiz
#7  December 30, 2019, 12:19:48 am
Perhaps I could have had made a project thread (or even revive a really old one Smogon made) but I wasn't sure if folks would either care or whenever I'd still be willing to even work on the game further, being a kind of a person who would prefer to be sure I'd be able to finish some things before even starting them (when I'd start a new standalone character and make quite enough progress to see completion possible, I would consider that tho'). It also didn't help that - as I've said before - the circumstances not exactly out of my control have heavily impeded the progress on the project. Judging from the timestamps of the sprite files the bulk of this project was developed in around 3.5-ish months, so the update could've been released much earlier if 2019 wasn't that much of a kick in the balls. I even half-way expected to deliver one more playable character for this update but I just had to postpone that one for later, and that's considering I wouldn't end up scrapping the character and just completing the final boss and whatever else that's left.

As much as I'd like to take a break after this release, I can't exactly guarantee when I would return to this project, especially as part of me would like to start a standalone character or two, either for a special day or what else. Coupled with me wanting to do other things in general outside of developing mugen content as well as possible motivational issues that can strike me at any moment, juggling between projects was never easy.

By the way, neither of these are really infinites. The training char may not be able to manage it but player 2 could just block the camera flash after a standing kick (with not enough hit-stun to actually combo into it) by holding back, and besides even with the actual combo like the handstand into flash the dizzy time still decayed anyway, something you may have even noticed in the clip with Anna. And while I'd wish Maggie's mash punch loop is something I'd wish I could have done about it (I've updated the archive with the hot-fix to have the move's vertical hit velocity decay, the loop can still happen, but the hold tech can put a stop to that anyway) this isn't exactly an infinite either, especially in this version where player 2 can just hold P+K to tech out of that loop as soon as going low.
#8  December 30, 2019, 01:24:37 am
    • Argentina
    • sites.google.com/view/senseiyoda/sensei-yodas-mugen
Looks very funny guys! I will try
#9  December 30, 2019, 01:39:34 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Perhaps I could have had made a project thread (or even revive a really old one Smogon made) but I wasn't sure if folks would either care or whenever I'd still be willing to even work on the game further, being a kind of a person who would prefer to be sure I'd be able to finish some things before even starting them (when I'd start a new standalone character and make quite enough progress to see completion possible, I would consider that tho'). It also didn't help that - as I've said before - the circumstances not exactly out of my control have heavily impeded the progress on the project. Judging from the timestamps of the sprite files the bulk of this project was developed in around 3.5-ish months, so the update could've been released much earlier if 2019 wasn't that much of a kick in the balls. I even half-way expected to deliver one more playable character for this update but I just had to postpone that one for later, and that's considering I wouldn't end up scrapping the character and just completing the final boss and whatever else that's left.

I mean it's better than just posting it on the releases forum and hoping it will pick up attention and considering there is a thread for it on the projects section you might as well use it. Though another thing is a game with mostly OC's is a tough sell for people... though also just having screenshots rather than having a video with screenshots demonstrating said game would benefit this (since you're just banking on people downloading it, trying it out, and hoping they like it)

By the way, neither of these are really infinites. The training char may not be able to manage it but player 2 could just block the camera flash after a standing kick (with not enough hit-stun to actually combo into it) by holding back, and besides even with the actual combo like the handstand into flash the dizzy time still decayed anyway, something you may have even noticed in the clip with Anna. And while I'd wish Maggie's mash punch loop is something I'd wish I could have done about it (I've updated the archive with the hot-fix to have the move's vertical hit velocity decay, the loop can still happen, but the hold tech can put a stop to that anyway) this isn't exactly an infinite either, especially in this version where player 2 can just hold P+K to tech out of that loop as soon as going low.

The first one with maggie was an infinite since your game only has ground techs and nothing in the air, So if I just continued to mash as hard as I did the opponent would never get to the ground to tech. (Your hot fix did fix said problem since it really needed some air velocity decay) The one with anna was due to training not blocking the projectile because it tends not to do that if said projectile is right after it gets out of hitstun.
Re: WSMIP Budokai - Beta 03
#10  June 30, 2020, 11:13:26 pm

So, I actually ended up getting contacted by the game's original spriter Smogon almost three months ago, asking about how I've been doing and stuff, and among things I linked him the now previous beta of the game. The guy came out impressed with how far I've went with the game, essentially I "gave the sprites a new life" in his words, so suffice to say I do sort of have his blessing when it comes to this project, and future contributions from him can be expected, albeit much smaller ones like character endings or other presentational stuff. Given he usually contacts me like once per month, I've figured the guy is quite busy right now, he does front a rap rock band after all.

As for today's beta, I'll admit there were few things I hoped to do but ended up shelving for a future update, but I did put in some additions someone can describe as signifficant enough updates, like an all-new dodge button. The game also has a proper final boss now as well.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to see content)

Download there