YesNoOk

So, is mugen 1.1 general use now?, or do most people preffer 1.0 still? (Read 7650325 times)

Started by vyn, June 06, 2019, 12:14:40 am
Share this topic:

Poll

What mugen version do you use the most??

39 (41.9%)
54 (58.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

vyn

So, is mugen 1.1 general use now?, or do most people preffer 1.0 still?
#1  June 06, 2019, 12:14:40 am
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
From a creator point of view, i like 1.1 better, but id like to know what is more used out there.

Re: So, is mugen 1.1 general use now?, or do most people preffer 1.0 still?
#2  June 06, 2019, 12:19:46 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 From my experience, MUGEN 1.0 is more commonly used because of how a lot of characters have already been made for 1.0 and a good chunk of them require updating their codes to make them work better in 1.1. A good example is that addalpha in explods and removeexplod don't function reliably in 1.1 even though they work perfectly fine in 1.0, so, that can mess up FXs for a lot of characters. Another example is that a lot of 1.0 characters do not take zoom into consideration, so, expect the scale of their HUDs to be thrown off pretty commonly. As for me, I stick to 1.0 mainly for reliability, but I try to make my creations compatible with both 1.0 and 1.1 as much as possible.
#3  June 06, 2019, 03:23:52 am
    • Canada
I personally prefer 1.1, but I'm a graphics slut.

Once you've started using 1.1 screen packs and portraits using .png images there is no going back to 250 colour indexed sprites.

and converting characters really isn't that much work.

#4  June 06, 2019, 04:16:10 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Everyone was excited for the zoom sctrl, but to me it's just neat fx. What's actually great are the screenwidth and screenheight sctrls which make relative position for bars according to 16:9 or 4:3 much easier than having to use and ifelse to determine the game dimensions.
#5  June 06, 2019, 07:42:20 am
    • China
#6  June 06, 2019, 07:44:40 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
I meanly use 1.1 since I have an actual graphics card (well integrated anyways) which when I was using my old laptop it's 512mb of VRam made 1.1 hell to run, especially if you wanted to record with it. Though pretty mugen 1.0 is more stable than mugen 1.1 from my experience
#7  June 06, 2019, 08:58:29 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I have to figure out localcoord but once I do I will switch to 1.1

I largely prefer 1.0 atm cause of its compatibility
#8  June 06, 2019, 09:19:56 am
    • USA
I mean as much as i LOVE mugen 1.1, it would a hassle trying to switch considering i have over 8000+ characters lmao
#9  June 06, 2019, 03:30:36 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I'm sticking with 1.0 because I was under the impression that 1.1 has a few stability issues that were never resolved as of right now. Stability is king in my mind.

As soon as those stability issues are resolved, I will be glad to make the jump. Until then, it is 1.0 for me.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#10  June 06, 2019, 04:00:32 pm
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
I was using 1.0 for my project initially, but I noticed that my .pngs (using as sprites) weren't coming out all that well.

1.1 saves me a lot of work when it comes to fiddling with the .pngs and getting them to look proper, and it even deals with glow effects more efficiently than 1.0 IIRC.
#11  June 06, 2019, 04:21:44 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I ahve not used mugen in a long while, but the one I used was 1.0; I tried 1.1 but it felt off for a lackof a better description.
#12  June 06, 2019, 04:49:41 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Are casual gamers and new to Mugen who aren't tech savvy (most likely not using powerful PCs and laptops) better off with 1.0?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.

GLB

#13  June 06, 2019, 05:18:53 pm
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
To the above post I'd say yes. I am one of those people. I can run 1.1, just not opengl only directx. Which excludes me from most things i.e zoom/png compatibility for sprites, etc. Theres a 4 GB patch update out there for directx mode that still didn't do me any good. So the perception to me is like I'm beta testing the engine and that's as far as it'll take me. So I stick with 1.0 for those reasons alone. If I had a little better of a laptop (or even just a better video card) I'd make the permanent switch. As a stage creator, 1.1 literally does more than half the work for you. And stage makers like ExShadow or MOTVN could have really benefited from the lack of color limitations.
Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:22:29 pm by GLB

vyn

#14  June 06, 2019, 05:22:18 pm
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
Figured i would add a poll for the giggles.
#15  June 06, 2019, 05:27:18 pm
  • Embrace Whateverness
  • Presented by ZAIA
    • Brazil
    • thefaelduarte@hotmail.com
Right now, I'm using 1.1, but it's on the 480p resolution, meaning I can still run into some characters that only works in widescreen.
#16  June 06, 2019, 05:27:31 pm
  • RISSSSSSIIIIINNNNGGGGG TACO!!!
    • USA
#17  June 06, 2019, 05:42:20 pm
  • The Illusionary Wanderer
  • I have a dream
    • Vietnam
I don't know where "1.0 is more stable than 1.1" myth comes from but from experience, I no longer suffer crashes since I switched to 1.1 completely. Also, a lot of characters have their Explod and Helper being misplaced in 1.1 only due to lazy coding from the authors (they could have just set postype = p1 ffs, it wasn't that hard). Other than some random occasions where RemoveExplod doesn't work, 1.1 is the superior version due to the stability, more flexible coding, color-support from OpenGL as well as zoom function. Unless you can't use OpenGL for whatever reasons, 1.1 should be the way to go.
#18  June 06, 2019, 06:41:02 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
Also, a lot of characters have their Explod and Helper being misplaced in 1.1 only due to lazy coding from the authors (they could have just set postype = p1 ffs, it wasn't that hard

It's a little more complicated than that actually. From my experience ever since I've worked on my first character, certain values can get messed up in 1.1 that works just fine in 1.0 because of zoom. While I found there is relatively easy fix using screenpos and gamewidth/gameheight (extra calculations needed to be done notwithstanding) to make the character work in both versions, some characters were made by authors who retired before 1.1 became a thing and therefore it wouldn't really be there fault if this kind of incompatibility happens. While you can say this is easily remedied by editing the character, let's be real... most people who play MUGEN don't even understand character coding, let alone know how to use it.
#19  June 06, 2019, 07:53:18 pm
1.1 all the way, been using it since I started with mugen.
#20  June 07, 2019, 06:41:20 am
I like 1.1 mostly because I can set the Arcade mode fight up to 30 opponents and pressing esc key during arcade mode allows player to get back to select screen instead of the main menu, but a pity that my computer has issue with open gl after reformat it, even updating my graphic card doesn't works  :'( now I am currently either 1.0 and 1.1 without the open gl function

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#21  June 07, 2019, 08:50:09 am
I don't understand why anyone still uses 1.0 mugen 1.1 is definitely superior.
#22  June 07, 2019, 10:10:41 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
I use both  :8):

Well, I prefer 1.1 because of zoom and png support, BUT, my microwave can't handle it without lag so I'm trying to avoid png for now. I still use 1.0 for testing, though.
#23  June 07, 2019, 01:49:59 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
1.1 because of the OpenGL function and to help me better position explods and helpers due to the having the option of putting e.g. 5.7 over 5 for consistency. I quit using 1.0 long time ago.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!

vyn

#24  June 11, 2019, 08:32:40 pm
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
Welp, looks like 1.1 is the prevalent version.
#25  June 11, 2019, 08:56:52 pm
  • Stages & Screen Pack
  • Mugen Creator
    • USA
    • https://jusmugen.forumotion.com/
I rather use both 1.0 + 1.1 because not many people have a gaming PC to run the 1.1 so that's why we use 1.0 for their benefits
Join My JUSMUGEN Community.
https://jusmugen.forumotion.com/

vyn

#26  June 11, 2019, 11:38:11 pm
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
I do believe my laptop is a toaster with pretty lights, seems to run 1.1 pretty well.
#27  June 11, 2019, 11:53:09 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
As I said before, I use 1.1 but without OpenGL cause my microwave lags with it. Not that much, is playable, but I prefer performance over graphic.
#28  June 15, 2019, 12:08:09 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
My loyalty will stay with 1.0.

It's much more stable and to me, allows more freedom than 1.1.
1.1 is still a beta engine compared to 1.0.

Once it's fully released, I'll probably change.
Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:47:22 pm by Kolossoni
#29  June 15, 2019, 01:01:36 pm

Its actually the opposite 1.1 can do more and saves you loads of time if you don't plan to index, also 1.1 has all the features 1.0  has.
#30  June 15, 2019, 01:23:07 pm
  • The other Indian
    • India

Its actually the opposite 1.1 can do more and saves you loads of time if you don't plan to index, also 1.1 has all the features 1.0  has.

...and there are no stability issues whatsoever. I guess he hasn't really used the 1.1 engine enough to realize what it has to offer.
#31  June 15, 2019, 01:31:21 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen

...and there are no stability issues whatsoever. I guess he hasn't really used the 1.1 engine enough to realize what it has to offer.

Contrary to belief, I have tried converting to 1.1 before.
The only problem was that even though it had WAY more functions than what 1.0 could offer, the system itself required so much more gpu and cpu compared to my 1.0.
Besides, my 1.0 was already spectacular that 1.1's codes didn't even offer me much. Therefore, rather than putting the risk to convert all my characters into a beta-unstable (and relatively brand new) 1.1, I decided to stick with 1.0 until 1.1 becomes more complete.
#32  June 15, 2019, 07:25:50 pm
You don't have to convert anything, you can just plop your chars as you do with 1.0.

24 minutes of 1.1 gameplay. If you see anything fishy that may be engine related, feel free to PM me.
All of the videos on the channel are 1.1 videos.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Again, 1.1 has everything 1.0 has and more, you don't have to do anything to your chars.
#33  June 15, 2019, 07:35:38 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
That's technically not entirely true. As someone who actually makes characters intended to be compatible with both versions of MUGEN, certain sctrls and parameters work differently between 1.0 and 1.1. Removeexplod sometimes is finnicky and requires extra workarounds, alpha in explods tend to fail a lot, you have to redo your math for pos to take zoom into consideration and, just recently, i've learned vars inside helpers and whatever they affect must be perfectly synchronized or the effects will fail.

Basically, Elecbyte changed up how even the same exact parameters interact between versions for some reasons.
#34  June 15, 2019, 07:46:39 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
What Nep said is true. I had some problems with weird positions of explods and some debug math errors in 1.0 that were not happening in 1.1, besides other things I forgot.
#35  June 15, 2019, 07:47:39 pm
Welp, everything I tossed at 1.1 ran with no issues. I even used some really old chars like Sanders Wolverine.

You can turn off zoom too. 1.0 runs like crap for me, and If I use localcoord on some chars it breaks some hypers or moves.
I guess it all boils down to the coder's ability  all of the chars in my roster were made for 1.0 and I have no issues with it.

The only real issue 1.1 has is that it does not map pals to the small ports. ( which can be addressed) however most of the people using 1.1 I assume use custom ports.

I get the feeling some people here think 1.1 lacks features and that's not true at all.
1.1 is the more powerful version of the engine and that's a fact.
Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:56:55 pm by PeXXeR
#36  June 15, 2019, 09:38:19 pm
  • 2D Forever. Maybe.
    • www.twitch.tv/brendle
Slightly unrelated question - Is 1.1 Beta the only version of 1.1 or is there a finalised version of 1.1? Because when I download it from this site, it's called 1.1b.
An anthropomorphic existential nightmare.
#37  June 15, 2019, 10:22:56 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Beta release is the latest release, yeah. Sadly no full version.

1.1 needs to not cut off menu sounds for me to be fully satisfied with it.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#38  June 15, 2019, 10:34:14 pm
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Zoom is a complete non issue for any characters with properly coded explodes and helpers, it's only bad for characters that have projectiles designed to destroyself when offscreen, which Jango complained about years ago, and characters with effects designed explicitly for 4:3 with no radical zoom, e.g. Tung Fu Rue's beam super in NGBC.
#39  June 15, 2019, 10:34:41 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Welp, everything I tossed at 1.1 ran with no issues. I even used some really old chars like Sanders Wolverine.

You can turn off zoom too. 1.0 runs like crap for me, and If I use localcoord on some chars it breaks some hypers or moves.
I guess it all boils down to the coder's ability  all of the chars in my roster were made for 1.0 and I have no issues with it.

The only real issue 1.1 has is that it does not map pals to the small ports. ( which can be addressed) however most of the people using 1.1 I assume use custom ports.

I get the feeling some people here think 1.1 lacks features and that's not true at all.
1.1 is the more powerful version of the engine and that's a fact.

You would assume wrong, not everyone is gonna take the time to mess around with PS to make custom ports.

1.0 also runs better for people with less intensive computers or those who cannot support OpenGL.
#40  June 16, 2019, 02:05:52 am
Yeah I am not arguing the custom ports stuff, its just from what Ive seen in the majority of videos posted here.

As for 1.0 running better on older PC's, yeah that's true. I do find it weird though 1.0 runs awful for me its constantly dropping frames and it runs between 50/60 it may have something to do with AMD and their drivers but who knows, with 1.1 I don't have that issue.
#41  June 30, 2019, 05:19:41 am
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
1.1 now since I recently got my gaming laptop.
1.0 basically for older comps, but 1.1 if you have really good ram to run those heavy image files, and some other neat stuff.
#42  June 30, 2019, 06:10:59 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
So I guess the verdict is out? 1.1 is the more popular version.
#43  June 30, 2019, 09:54:33 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA

I still use 1.0. For some reason, stages I use in 1.1 crashes while in 1.0 does not. Most of those stages are taken back when I used Winmugen and the ones that cause 1.1 to crash that come to mind are JAM's Street Fighter IV stages. They cause 1.1 to close completely, so I know it's not stable. Does anyone know that author have anything to do with it crashing?

Another reason is the lifebar portrait thing and the menu sound cut outs. I have a client that heavily relies on small portraits for the lifebar and not seeing them change along the palette bugs me. I even tried using 1.1 for Capcom vs SNK MUGEN and it keeps cutting off.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#44  June 30, 2019, 10:08:41 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
I still use 1.0. For some reason, stages I use in 1.1 crashes while in 1.0 does not. Most of those stages are taken back when I used Winmugen and the ones that cause 1.1 to crash that come to mind are JAM's Street Fighter IV stages. They cause 1.1 to close completely, so I know it's not stable. Does anyone know that author have anything to do with it crashing?

Another reason is the lifebar portrait thing and the menu sound cut outs. I have a client that heavily relies on small portraits for the lifebar and not seeing them change along the palette bugs me. I even tried using 1.1 for Capcom vs SNK MUGEN and it keeps cutting off.

The JAM stages are due to code that is obsolete I believe. No stage has made my Mugen crash other than JAM's and neither has the menu sound cut off for me ever. I use custom portraits so the palette thing doesn't concern me at least. I for one am very happy with 1.1 but I guess its the users with really old hardware that complain the most.
#45  June 30, 2019, 10:59:08 am
    • USA

The JAM stages are due to code that is obsolete I believe. No stage has made my Mugen crash other than JAM's and neither has the menu sound cut off for me ever. I use custom portraits so the palette thing doesn't concern me at least. I for one am very happy with 1.1 but I guess its the users with really old hardware that complain the most.
I figured it had something to do with JAM. Those were originally Winmugen stages and did had a lot of color loss, but it should have worked regardless of version. For the menu sound cut off thing, it must be screenpack dependent as I used Akito & OldGamer's Capcom vs SNK MUGEN which was causing problems with sounds. I liked that one because it fits the PotS theme, but this will probably force me to use other screenpacks.

I would also use custom portraits, if I didn't have to do it for over 1000 characters for my main client and a majority of those characters are just opponents for arcade mode.
#46  June 30, 2019, 11:11:49 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
I'm with SolidZone on this one. Sound cut-off in screenpack and ports not sharing colors are really annoying, but besides this, I like using 1.1 because of the zoom feature. I also avoid OpenGL because my microwave drops FPS. Also since I'm constantly making content for MUGEN, I use 1.0 to test as I see people still uses it, I want to make my creations compatible with both. I'd do the same with WinMUGEN (yes, people also still use it) but there are some codes that are a must and crashes on WinMUGEN.
#47  June 30, 2019, 12:16:19 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Menu sound cut-off only occurs during screen transitions; you may have never noticed this because the fade durations are long enough for the sounds to play out fully in whatever screenpack you're using.

#48  June 30, 2019, 04:46:57 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#49  July 01, 2019, 01:08:41 am
    • USA

I'm with SolidZone on this one. Sound cut-off in screenpack and ports not sharing colors are really annoying, but besides this, I like using 1.1 because of the zoom feature. I also avoid OpenGL because my microwave drops FPS. Also since I'm constantly making content for MUGEN, I use 1.0 to test as I see people still uses it, I want to make my creations compatible with both. I'd do the same with WinMUGEN (yes, people also still use it) but there are some codes that are a must and crashes on WinMUGEN.
I should also mention that there are certain characters who have lifebars portraits that can glow such as Jmorphman's Chun-Li (Shadow Lady Mode) and Demitri. 1.1 completely breaks that feature and no custom portrait could ever fix that. If Elecbyte would ever come back to make 1.1 out of beta and fix all those issues, I would use it 100%.

Menu sound cut-off only occurs during screen transitions; you may have never noticed this because the fade durations are long enough for the sounds to play out fully in whatever screenpack you're using.
I think I remember when OldGamer helped Akito make the Capcom vs SNK Mugen screenpack, Akito wanted it to be for 1.0 as 1.1 doesn't run very well for him on his computer, so it was built for that in mind and was converted to 1.1 later on. That's probably why it had those issues.
#50  July 01, 2019, 04:53:51 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
So I guess the verdict is out? 1.1 is the more popular version.
Based on what, the forum post and the 60 or so people who voted in the poll?

Yeah pretty much. It's been almost a month since the poll was created and 60 is not at all a bad number considering how many users are active on here. It hasn't been neck and neck, with 1.1 being out in front throughout, which is pretty indicative of the popularity.
#51  July 01, 2019, 06:08:35 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I think you’re wildly underestimating how many people actively use MUGEN if you think 60 is a majority
#52  July 01, 2019, 09:03:03 pm
Im still sure more people use 1.0, it requires less to run and most people are used to it.
#53  July 01, 2019, 09:10:31 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Also, there're still some outcasts that still we use WinMugen and we aren't mentioned in this poll (BTW I voted 1.0 because is the second version I use, mostly for test my chars there or for 1.0 exclusive chars), I feel discriminated, if you ask me

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#54  July 02, 2019, 01:09:10 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I went full-fledged 1.1 because of OpenGL and being able to use floats for the position of the explods and helpers. I'm not bothered by the select ports not sharing the same color as the fighter on the lifebars because I use custom ports. I always had a problem with 1.0 where it can suddenly close with error while 1.1 doesn't. I don't like the zoom feature because it throws off a lot of explods and helpers not supported by the zoom.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#55  July 30, 2019, 11:05:06 am
    • USA
    • r.coburn08@yahoo.com
I went to 1.1 not too long ago. I still have 1.0 mugen. But since 1.1 is the new trend I may as well get on the train b4 1.0 gets played out. I think I'll just do my chars 1.1....
#56  July 30, 2019, 02:23:18 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭

I only lasted like a week or two with 1.0, but someone DM me a copy of the suppostly "private" alpha 1.1,
so... 1.0 became pointless all the sudden for me, since was puting more work for something that would "look" better if just move on.

So yeah, 1.1, now make my PC burn to ashes with those fancy FX.
#57  July 30, 2019, 06:53:40 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
So, I want to use this topic to give me some light. Is it true that 1.0 is better for older computers? I use 1.1 but everything I have here is compatible with 1.0, except for some stages with zoom (which of course I can disable if I switch). Right now I sometimes experience a bit of FPS drop with 1.1, if I switch to 1.0 will the performance be better? Or am I missing something that makes 1.1 not drop frames (in mugen.cfg maybe)? Thanks in advance.
#58  July 30, 2019, 08:01:40 pm
    • Morocco
So, I want to use this topic to give me some light. Is it true that 1.0 is better for older computers? I use 1.1 but everything I have here is compatible with 1.0, except for some stages with zoom (which of course I can disable if I switch). Right now I sometimes experience a bit of FPS drop with 1.1, if I switch to 1.0 will the performance be better? Or am I missing something that makes 1.1 not drop frames (in mugen.cfg maybe)? Thanks in advance.

Mugen 1.1 uses OpenGL renderer which is a bit heavier than the old DirectX one.And yes if you switch to 1.0 performance will be better
#59  July 30, 2019, 10:29:51 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
The thing is I use DirectX on 1.1 too, and I still get fps drop sometimes.
#60  July 30, 2019, 11:12:37 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
you tried 4GB patch? search it in google,it forces it to use 4gb instead of 2
#61  August 05, 2019, 03:50:05 am
The thing is I use DirectX on 1.1 too, and I still get fps drop sometimes.

somestage is ok on 1.0 but slow on 1.1
somestage is slow on 1.0 but fast on 1.1

but 1.1 will not worth for switching to if you dont use openGL
#62  August 05, 2019, 04:12:44 am
somehow I managed to get mugen 1.1 working with opengl enable after I updated my other graphic card driver, it works  :catgoi: now I can try out Ryutaro's kof13 characters, Mr. ansatsuken's 1.1 characters and adding back some of the kof13 characters that only work in 1.1 with opengl enable, but it will be after I have enough time, sadly  :( but still, I use 1.0 and 1.1 mostly

Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:17:32 am by tehdevil
#63  August 12, 2019, 02:57:30 pm
People keep saying 1.1 is stable, but when I run 1.1 it just closes out of itself at some point.
No warning, entries in log or anything, it just exits the game.

Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?
#64  August 12, 2019, 03:04:00 pm
I know how to fix it:

use 1.0 instead. :twisted:
#65  August 12, 2019, 05:01:40 pm

#66  August 13, 2019, 01:25:18 am
#67  August 13, 2019, 05:30:48 am
Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:05:53 am by beterhans
#68  August 14, 2019, 12:19:12 am
Thanks, tehdevil already sent me your link up there.
Will try it out one of these days!
#69  August 14, 2019, 06:52:19 pm
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
1.1 is unstable shit..have many problems with chars and stages...bullshit..even DOSMUGEn or Winmugen beta are more stable than that
.is a beta...1.0 is the stable
-I hate haters and S.o.S chars.....
-time to migrate from winmugen...
#70  August 14, 2019, 07:09:22 pm
winmugen beta crash randomly when using keyboard to play except usb gamepad which I played with my cousin for like hours in year 2008 and I was surprised that it doesn't crash at all  :P as for Dos Mugen, it seems to be the most superior since it don't crash often

#71  August 15, 2019, 03:47:00 am
    • Canada
Mugen 1.1 unstable? Constant crashing? Dafuq are you people talking about?

Stop being poor and get a decent gaming rig.

The only time I've had 1.1 crash on me is when a character or stage was incompatible, and that's an easy fix.

The fact mugen 1.1 won't run on your toaster isn't its fault.
#72  August 15, 2019, 04:03:13 am
    • crepa.neocities.org

The only time I've had 1.1 crash on me is when a character or stage was incompatible, and that's an easy fix.

Not everyone has the money for that, you know.
#73  August 15, 2019, 04:31:19 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

Not everyone has the money for that, you know.

Your audience will most likely encounter the same problems too.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#74  August 15, 2019, 04:44:09 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
... And this is why I create my stuff with 1.0 and 1.1 compatibility in mind. That way, I don't ever have to deal with people complaining about my stuff being specialized only for one version of MUGEN (asides from WinMUGEN, but that's garbage and I have no intention to ever touch it). Now, if only I could make my stuff Simul compatible, but that's not happening anytime soon.
#75  August 15, 2019, 05:04:36 am
any laptop with 8gb ram can run 1.1 without problem.
it doesnt need to be high end. or with a nvidia or amd card

my 4 5 year old laptop can still run it. its really not picky
#76  August 15, 2019, 12:03:19 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
It's not necessarily the power of the rig, as I had 1.1 crash on me many times back when I was running Windows 10; while it'd be easy to say it's the OS' fault, however, I've seen reports of people with Win 10 who haven't had 1.1 crash at all, though in my case I haven't had it crash either since installing Win 7.

For reference, I have 16 GB RAM, an i5-7300HQ, and a GTX 960M.

#77  August 15, 2019, 04:06:27 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I remember when the reason why 1.1 worked better than 1.0 or not was just whether you had a nvidia video card or an intel one; intel uses were f**ed regardless of the rest of the system. It seems to be more of a character problem with most recent hardware nowadays.

I just remember tht I used the version of mugen that picked the commands better.
#78  August 15, 2019, 04:44:18 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Speaking only of crashes, I had very few crashes on 1.1, where MUGEN just closes itself with no error message, only about 2 or 3 times. And I had some on 1.0 too, so I'm assuming both versions are basically the same. I don't blame the version for the crashes, I've been using 1.1 for years and only 2 or 3 random crashes, that I even think isn't MUGEN's fault, it was probably a char or stage not compatible or something that was causing it.
#79  August 15, 2019, 05:07:56 pm
I remember that one of my Mugen roster don't crash at all when I use 1.1, but I can't show the roster here, no matter how many hours and how many times I play and clear the game, it doesn't crash. I remember adding Jam's Oshima Goketsuji's Power Instinct stage, it crash until I remove that stage, it works perfectly. I could only recall that if I have Ikaruga's characters and even quickfist (Iori Yagami) and r@ce akira's characters (it was Yamazaki) in kof96's women team stage, it crash as well.

#80  August 19, 2019, 02:39:58 pm

Before you start assuming, my pc is a professional system made for game dev, 3D modeling, video editing and what not.
I don't think your puny gaming pc is quite as expensive or as powerful as my Nvidia Quadro card alone.
It's not just about money or "rig". It could also be the users being clueless or the engine being actually unstable and those supporters being ignorant. I just didn't dig deep enough into it to find out.
Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:43:11 pm by Rai Tei
#81  August 20, 2019, 08:26:26 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
#82  August 21, 2019, 01:55:26 pm
Yeah, that was my point.
If people can't afford/don't want to, they don't.
There was no need to tell people to buy stuff because theirs sucks to begin with.

Guess you would've known if you didn't singled out that one line and put it out of context.
#83  August 21, 2019, 04:11:43 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah, that line out of context comes out arrogant as hell, but in context it is pretty apropiate.
#84  August 21, 2019, 06:14:02 pm
  • I am a little editor of pixel art
    • Brazil
    • felipexavier.stuart@gmail.com
Back to the topic, we are making our fangame in mugen 1.1, its stable and its features make the game visually a lot better, I personally use a quite old PC and have no issues with Mugen itself.
#85  August 21, 2019, 07:14:27 pm
That's what I'm questioning. Some say it's stable, some say it's not.
And how new the machine is, doesn't seem to be the issue as you've confirmed.

yeah, that line out of context comes out arrogant as hell, but in context it is pretty apropiate.

Yeah, I know, I'll drop the sarcasm and apologize.

lui

#86  August 21, 2019, 07:48:03 pm
    • USA
1.1 for me baby
#87  August 21, 2019, 07:52:01 pm
    • USA
What you say is true, the random errorless crashes, doesn’t matter what rig.

No one has said it yet, but Ikemen is superior even in its current state.

As is, one could say replicate most of the modes from alpha 3, the custom arcade mode alone could do the trick. If you don’t care for 1.1, but still wouldn’t mind using some of its features it’s a win win. You have all this time to learn, not like mugen is updating any time soon. Not a debate btw, I suggest you all try it for yourselves. Only if you want your stuff to feel more like an official game. If you have a potato, might be out of luck either way.
#88  August 21, 2019, 08:30:22 pm
No its not,  it has a few bells and whistles over mugen but mugen runs way better and also looks better when it comes to screenpacks and shit.

Mugen 1.1 because of its graphics capability is much more powerful, check that game strides 2 glory or what it was called and see what I'm referring to.
I've also seen people pull off some amazing shit in mugen that emulate the official games, screens, moving chars on the select screen etc.

This is mugen 1.1 btw.

Kame's TMNT project also has some super cool stuff in it and its a mugen game.
Move lists inside the game etc.
Fek look at borg's MK project its insane. it has ladders like the official MK games it looks legit af.

Ikemen is badly optimized and it feels "off" to me when I play it, it runs super fast and some weird shit is happening in it.
99.9% of the chars are made for mugen it makes sense they run better on it. Last time I checked its online ain't that good either.(which tbh I don't care for)
Don't get me started on stages and proper scale.

Ikemen has potential though.

As it stands right now, mugen feels better, plays better, and looks better in my opinion.
Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:47:57 pm by PeXXeR
#89  August 21, 2019, 09:02:03 pm
    • USA
No its not,  it has a few bells and whistles over mugen

I've also seen people pull off some amazing shit in mugen that emulate the official games, screens, moving chars on the select screen etc.

Ikemen is badly optimized and it feels "off" to me when I play it, it runs super fast and some weird shit is happening in it.

99.9% of the chars are made for mugen it makes sense they run better on it.
You undermine whats been accomplished. You can only see things at face value. What you say doesn't really hold any weight, your perception, not facts. If you can't properly contest this, really nothing else needs to be said. "It's not good because I had a bad experience"

You are free to your opinion, but you don't know all the specifics, based on what you've said. Agree to disagree. No engine is perfect, but for those interested in developing a game, not building a mugen roster, may be more inclined.
#90  August 21, 2019, 09:07:52 pm
I have not undermined shit, for a comment that states that mine holds fuck all, I have yet to see "facts"  from you as well.
Mine showed 2 examples of people pushing  the engine, where's yours ?

Don't get me wrong, if a better engine comes out  that's better then mugen I'll be more than happy to jump on it.
#91  August 21, 2019, 09:10:19 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
I have not undermined shit, for a comment that states that mine holds fuck all, I have yet to see "facts"  from you as well.
Mine showed 2 examples of people pushing  the engine, where's yours ?

Whatever plas pretty much is doing, whatever the GO people are doing, SvC EX, TouHou, that's off the top of my head.
#92  August 21, 2019, 09:20:20 pm
    • USA
Well I can't take you seriously based on what you said Pexxer, even your response now already near tilt? Most of what you said can already be done in Ikemen. Character moving on select screen without hardcoding? Controlling arcade mode without using a frontend? Further more, many of your points aren't "unique" to mugen, its just code. Movelist in-game? That isn't a "mugen feature". I'm not trying to be rude to you, you just don't know what you are talking about, well as I said.. Only see things at face value.

Also as said above ^ just because you don't know about it, aren't actively following it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

So.. Say if we were to try to recreate Street Fighter Alpha 3 using both mugen/Ikemen, we'd be able to get closer using Ikemen. This is a fact.
#93  August 21, 2019, 09:28:01 pm
Fclass
I'm not doubting that content specifically developed for Ikemen can be better.
That is also true, Yamori's game is pretty darn good. I have not checked the rest though.
Ikemen is open source it will only get better.
#94  August 22, 2019, 04:10:25 am
I was at least about to comment how labor intensive some of those features are.
Those are mostly hardcoded workarounds, which requires each character to be tailor made.
Although impressive, it's counterproductive and not why people use engines in the first place.
That's as impressive as making those minigames/bonus stages/ platformer boss characters.
It's achievable, but not what the engine's mean to do.

Well, at least the limitations challenges people to be creative.
And I admire those who took on those challenges.

On a side note, there was also a discussion about an Unreal based engine, which sounded promising.
#95  August 22, 2019, 04:31:40 am
    • Canada
Yeah, that was my point.
If people can't afford/don't want to, they don't.
There was no need to tell people to buy stuff because theirs sucks to begin with.

Guess you would've known if you didn't singled out that one line and put it out of context.

Well my point is don't blame the engine because

A. You don't have the required hardware for it.

or

B. You are running incompatible software (characters/stages)

My day job is literally troubleshooting servers. Maybe I have too high of expectations for people to actually try and figure out why shit doesn't work. 

I still don't see what some of you are talking about regarding error less crashing. Have you tried the 4Gb patch? When it dies does anything populate in event viewer?

Personally Mugen 1.1 has crashed for me less than most "AAA" games. Witcher 3 and GTA5 have easily crashed more often, and Skyrim/Fallout 4 like.... 1000% more(Gamebryo engine? more like LAMEbryo engine amiright). In comparison Winmugen was an unstable mess. I swear it was like a 50/50 shot if I could get through arcade mode without it dying on me. Never going back to that. 1.0 is solid too, but it doesn't support those sexy .png's

As for Ikeman.... I don't even know what the current working version is... plus... go... ssgssj.... whatever. Is it even on a finished release?

lui

#96  August 22, 2019, 04:48:26 am
    • USA
Mugen 1.1 is pretty old and is based off an engine from 1998

If potatoes cant run it, despite the fact you can easily just use aesthetics from 1998 and below for screenpacks and visuals, that is the engine's fault. Not the PCs.

Yes heavy duty screenpacks that use 32 bit visuals will obviously run like crap on potato's, but most people who can't run those use low-res screenpacks most of the time, so assuming it's always due to their hardware is pretty ignorant.

Mugen 1.1 coding isn't inherently anything that pushes PC's after all.

Troubleshooting servers doesn't give you anymore insight to these crashes than anyone else when you have contributors who've actually coded using 1.1 and 1.0 here saying the engine is unstable for very good reasons.
Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:53:12 am by lui
#97  August 22, 2019, 03:53:33 pm
I still don't see what some of you are talking about regarding error less crashing. Have you tried the 4Gb patch? When it dies does anything populate in event viewer?

Yes, I have tried the 4GB patch.
But the problem I have with 1.1 is it "closes" itself at some point, like how a user would manually close it.
It's not the usual crash which tells you something went wrong, it gives me nothing, no error prompt, not even a log.

And well, on that other point. Because you are tech savvy, doesn't mean everyone else is.
#98  August 22, 2019, 04:14:59 pm
Yes, I have tried the 4GB patch.
But the problem I have with 1.1 is it "closes" itself at some point, like how a user would manually close it.
It's not the usual crash which tells you something went wrong, it gives me nothing, no error prompt, not even a log.
sigh, looks like the 4GB patch is the same  :(