YesNoOk

Capcom vs. The World (Updated with new info, need feedback!) (Read 72802 times)

Started by Sean Altly, June 25, 2010, 06:06:48 am
Share this topic:

Poll

What type of Super commands should the game use?

SF-style Commands (D,DF,F,D,DF,F,P for example)
3 (14.3%)
MVC/Vs.-style Commands (D,DF,F,2P for example)
18 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Capcom vs. The World (Updated with new info, need feedback!)
#1  June 25, 2010, 06:06:48 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
I'm not much of an Idea Engineering type of guy, but a project I was thinking about working on after SHADEs 2 is an idea I've had for a long time, dating all the way back to when I first played the first Marvel vs. Capcom. The idea has always been called "Capcom vs. The World" to me and now that I've picked up creating pretty well and proven that I can get things done, I was thinking about seeing if anyone would be willing to help or interested in a project like this.

It would basically be an MVC-type of game, with slightly toned down MVC-style gameplay (think something in tune with my SHADEs of Manhattan characters but more refined) that is exactly as the title describes: Characters from various Capcom games vs "The World," i.e. a selection of characters from many different sources, but sprited to blend in with the Capcom characters. The roster is not finalized and open for suggestions.

Old roster idea in the spoiler:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Some notes about the roster before anyone comments:

-I kept the character count relatively low by VS game standards for time and realism issues, and the roster is designed to actually be createable and realistic in regards to what can or can't be created in Mugen. Keep in mind I would be the spriter on this project, so I'm well aware that I would have to make anything listed above that doesn't have sprites already.
-Yes, I included many of my own characters, but that's because they are available, can be easily recoded to fit other styles, and I stuck to characters that are relatively well liked (Apollo, Rorschach, Snake, Tristan).
-I tried to have as much variety as possible without over saturating the game with characters from any one game, even though SF is represented by 6 characters.
-I understand that characters like Guile, Ryu, and Morrigan are more popular, but again, I think these would be good choices to shake things up.
-Squall and Sabin are future WIPs of mine, but that may change. I'd like to incluse at least one FF character, made by me.
-Any sprite inconsistencies can be worked around with edits or palette changes, especially with Garou characters who have a style similar to CVS2 and look great with CVS2-ish palettes.

Anyway, keep in mind this is Idea engineering, but I would really like to make this happen after I'm done with SHADEs 2. Leave roster or gameplay suggestions below, and let me know what you think in general.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:33:01 am by Sean Altly
Re: Capcom vs. The World
#2  June 25, 2010, 06:11:16 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

The missing link had pretty awful sprites. You'd be better off resizing and editing GGX sprites.
#3  June 25, 2010, 06:22:27 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
You think so? I didn't remember them being that bad. I'd better check them again and see, it's been a while.

Edit: Just checked them, and unless the ones I'm looking at are bad rips, they are pretty ugly.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:30:15 am by SeanAltly
#4  June 25, 2010, 06:03:10 pm
Fairly interesting idea, and would be nice to see become a reality, but - and this is just my personal opinion - your 6 SNK characters aren't the best reps. There's more important characters, like Terry Bogard, Haohmaru, Ryo, etc., that you seem to have neglected. Iori's about the only one that really fits within a 6 character SNK selection, and even that doesn't guarantee him a place. I'm not trying to tell you how create your own ideas. What I'd really like to know now is what went into selecting those SNK characters.

PS: You need to have Ryu. I'm not really a fan of him myself, but otherwise, people will go "Where's my Ryu? He has to be here!"
#5  June 25, 2010, 06:10:34 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala

Rock's pretty much on the same boat as Iori.
#6  June 25, 2010, 07:28:57 pm
  • The life of a dish is not an easy one.
    • USA
    • mugenplate.webs.com/
lol, you had to put Tristan in a full game at some point right? :P

But I'm liking the idea, and even maybe having the plot on Ken instead of Ryu could turn things up, as some would say.

But maybe it might be a good idea to take out an SNK fighter and replace them with someone else. Its like you said, vs the world and I'm sure there are lots of fighters out there you could replace one of the SNK fighters with. But hey, its your idea. :p
Stuff
#7  June 25, 2010, 08:34:15 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Well, I included so many SNK characters because of the availability of their sprites. I tried to make them from multiple games though. I would have liked to use Kaede, but I'm in the process of tracking down some sprites just to see how well they'd blend in. If I remember correctly, Last Blade 2 sprites are about on par with Mark of the Wolves and should blend in well. In case they don't though, I chose Hibiki since she has CVS2 sprites (which look like repaletted Last Blase sprites IMO). And now that it's mentioned, I realized I left out any Samurai Shodown characters, so I will probably add one or replace a KoF character with Hoahmaru or Nakororu.

I left out Kyo using the same logic I used for leaving out Ryu, trying to keep from having all of the obvious choices. Same reason I left out Morrigan, Zangief, Guile, Mai, etc. I could replace Vice with Mai since she's more iconic. I was just trying to make the roster as unique as possible while also including some of my work and some of my favorites (such as King, who my favorite female KoF character). Rugal seemed like a nice choice for a boss, and he seems likes a pretty iconic SNK character, but I'm open for more suggestions.

If I were making a 100% fantasy roster, I would include characters like Sonic, Mario, Cloud, Scorpion and Sub Zero, stuff like that, but a full game should have uniformity in sprites and things like that so I was going for a roster that would be possible and wouldn't take years to sprite edit.

Anyway, @ kkhohoho, which SNK characters would you choose? Genuine question, not being sarcastic or anything

Download Last Bout now!
#8  June 25, 2010, 08:56:05 pm
  • The life of a dish is not an easy one.
    • USA
    • mugenplate.webs.com/
Ah thats understandable. It is a bit of work if you were to have to sprite everything, so got to work with what you got. :p
Stuff
#9  June 25, 2010, 08:58:27 pm
  • I got a PM.
I would love to see Mario added to that roster. I think it would be nice to see him in Capcom style.
#10  June 25, 2010, 09:52:37 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
It would be cool. I guess Mario wouldn't be that many sprites, maybe it could be done.

Anyway, I tracked down the first Awakened Kaede I could find (it's by Bagaliao, I don't know if it's any good though, I'm just using it for palette experimentation), and created this CVS2-ish palette for him. Would he blend in you think? Or at least, not clash much? I think he would blend in better than Morrigan did in CVS2, but that's not saying much.

Download Last Bout now!

Cap

#11  June 25, 2010, 10:12:21 pm
  • Get your hands off of me, you damn dirty ape!
    • USA
I'd like to see Janne from World Heroes included, but that's just me. Seems like too many KoF characters, though.
#12  June 25, 2010, 10:15:54 pm
Anyway, @ kkhohoho, which SNK characters would you choose? Genuine question, not being sarcastic or anything

Well, first let me say that variety is a good thing. Now that that's come to mind, here's a roster of 6 I would now choose...

1.Terry Bogard. Nuff said.

2.Haohmaru. He is somewhat a Shoto in terms of gameplay, but he is the Samurai Shodown lead, and has a rather lively personality that would definitely add. As for Nakoruru, I've always thought she was boring, and that the only reason she became so popular was because she was a 'Nice Cute Anime Girl'. (One could say the same about Athena...)

3.Iori. A KOF lead, popular, and with a more unique design than Kyo, who, while quite popular and important, doesn't quite match up to, say, Terry or CAPCOM's Ryu. (If possible, use XII Iori. Seriously, XII Iori is great.)

4.Kaede. Either him, or Moriya, but not both. Kaede is the lead of the series, but Moriya is his rival, and has a considerably more unique style of gameplay.

5.Either Ryo or King. Ryo, besides being the AoF lead, was originally SNK's Shoto counterpart, and thus would fit in swell as as a opponent to CAPCOM, but on the other hand, King is also a popular SNK character, and has a rather unique design and personality for Fighting Games.

6.This one's open. One could possibly choose a character from one of SNK's more obscure outings, such as Kizuna Encounter, or World Heroes. (ADK made it, but SNK owns it.) Or, one could choose a character from one of the popular or semi-popular franchises, but with this character not being so popular and/or over-used as certain others. Possible candidates could be Vice, Mature, Zantetsu, Galford/Hanzo, Charlotte, etc. In the end, it'd be up to whoever would be making the game.

And I don't like Mai. Period.
Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:24:38 pm by kkhohoho
#13  June 25, 2010, 10:22:05 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Well, If I included Terry, should I use the CVS2 sprites or palette tweak the Garou sprites (like I'll be doing for Tizoc and how Waru did for Hotaru)?

Also, I personally don't think there's too many KoF characters. King could be counted as an AoF character, leaving Iori, Rugal and Vice, and Iori is "hidden" while Rugal is a boss. If I included Terry, he'd be counted as a Fatal Fury character. Street Fighter has 6 characters, but I honestly think if Capcom were making this game, they'd include that many, if not more. So I made it a point to include characters that originated from different SF games, with only Chun Li and Bison originating from the same game.

And the more I look at it, the more I like the Kaede palette I made, so I think I would include him as well. Trying to keep the roster light-ish, so if I included Terry and Kaede on "The World" side, who should I exclude?

Download Last Bout now!
#14  June 25, 2010, 10:28:04 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala

Hibiki.
#15  June 25, 2010, 10:34:46 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
fuck link, hibiki is to awesome
#16  June 25, 2010, 10:41:57 pm
İnteresting idea You have there.
İ could suggest some aswell.

Kid Goku and/or Master Roshi from Dragonball.
Michaelangelo and/or Donatello from Teebage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
#17  June 25, 2010, 11:09:23 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Hazama

OK, that would require too much work.... but goddamn it would be awesome.

I agree with Shamrock's idea to include Mario.

Also, fuck Bison/Vega, Gill. Jedah was also the better boss.

Also, tired of Ryu? Opt for Sean instead.
Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:14:11 pm by Jesuszilla
#18  June 25, 2010, 11:10:50 pm
Well, If I included Terry, should I use the CVS2 sprites or palette tweak the Garou sprites (like I'll be doing for Tizoc and how Waru did for Hotaru)?

Also, I personally don't think there's too many KoF characters. King could be counted as an AoF character, leaving Iori, Rugal and Vice, and Iori is "hidden" while Rugal is a boss. If I included Terry, he'd be counted as a Fatal Fury character. Street Fighter has 6 characters, but I honestly think if Capcom were making this game, they'd include that many, if not more. So I made it a point to include characters that originated from different SF games, with only Chun Li and Bison originating from the same game.

And the more I look at it, the more I like the Kaede palette I made, so I think I would include him as well. Trying to keep the roster light-ish, so if I included Terry and Kaede on "The World" side, who should I exclude?

I'd say, Hibiki and Rugal. Besides the fact that I personally think Hibiki is boring, there should probably be only one LB character, and in addition, I've always wondered how CAPCOM chose Hibiki of all people over Kaede or Moria in CvS2. Simply put, replace one LB character for another. As for Rugal, yes, he's the first and most popular KoF boss, but he doesn't have quite the same status, or life and variety, as certain other characters, such as the following. Iori, well, he's a shoe-in, and anyone who knows King can see that she is quite unique, and would certainly add something. And if we want to go for rivalries, both Chun-Li and King are the first fighting females of their respective companies, (Mai fanboys, look it up,) and they both use their legs in most of their attacks.

That's my opinion. Who would you possibly exclude and keep to make room for Terry and Kaede?

EDIT: And I'd say, use Terry's classic outfit. If you have to use his CvS2 sprites, do so. His Garou outfit is nice, but his classic attire is much more iconic, and on top of that is what SNK themselves have returned to recently.
Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:18:34 pm by kkhohoho
#19  June 25, 2010, 11:14:55 pm
You NEED Spider-man. Your Rorschach wouldn't be bad either. And what about Superman?  :P
#20  June 25, 2010, 11:26:27 pm
  • Fuck You.
Needs moar Shingo and Sean.

Also, if I can find some decent sprites of Arthur to counter Mario, think he'd fit?
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/