YesNoOk

Akira Toriyama has passed away (Read 3166 times)

Started by Yuko, March 08, 2024, 04:25:23 am
Share this topic:
Akira Toriyama has passed away
#1  March 08, 2024, 04:25:23 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Re: Akira Toriyama has passed away
#2  March 08, 2024, 04:26:41 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I wasn't really big into the series but damn... this is a huge major impactful loss to the DBZ community, even the anime. May he rest in peace. My big bro used to watch it a lot.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#3  March 08, 2024, 04:41:53 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
This is definitely going to be hard to take.
RIP to an amazing artist and to someone who has touched millions of people.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#4  March 08, 2024, 05:22:14 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Right on the road towards Dragonball's 40th anniversary too.

One of the most influential manga artists to ever grace this world.  It's a lot to digest.

May he rest on his own traveling nimbus cloud in peace.
#5  March 08, 2024, 07:05:51 am
  • Gaming is so fun!
    • Poland
    • sites.google.com/view/dxgsmugensite/main-page
Even if I haven't watched Dragon Ball that much, it's still very sad to see Mr. Akira pass away. Rest in peace. :(

Also known as "BartekZioomPro" (crappy name, I know).
Playin' Mugen since 2017, creating content since 2022.
#6  March 08, 2024, 01:14:14 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Rest in peace legend. May the Dragon Balls be continuously searched for.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#7  March 08, 2024, 02:59:07 pm
I wasn't a fan of Dragonball series when I was a kid from the 90s to before year 2018 until recently where I was looking and finding information about franchises that I don't know and not fond of in the past from time to time if I have the free time and one of them was Dragonball series. The reason why I wasn't a fan of dragonball series when I was a kid was because of the graphics of those fighters that don't look serious at all, they were like they were meant for kids. Well, at that time, I was a kid, so I was mostly interested in serious tone of franchises such as Street Fighter Series where most of the fighters looked serious judging from their renders, graphics etc.

I wasn't fond of the SNK franchises as well for the same reason as dragonball series until when Capcom and SNK had collaboration in year 2000, then only I got interest in the SNK franchises. For dragonball series, I only started to initially get interest when I first saw Dragonball Fighters Z in year 2017, but I did not really bother as I was concentrating on something important until recently from time to time, I was checking out dragonball series and didn't had the time to find more information nor watching the anime especially this year might be the worst for me where I don't think I might have enough time than the past few years.

For Mugen and Ikemen Go, I only knew some of the well known Dragonball creations like teamz2 as their characters won several COTM awards in this forum. I knew there were lots of characters and creations out there as it could be tough for me to check every single one of them out unlike in the past when I was a student, I was able to check most of the Capcom, SNK and some other known fighting games stuffs out i.e Guilty Gear series for Mugen as I can tell mostly which characters were created by which Mugen creators such as using KOF ultimate Mugen compiled by Xandamator as example: https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/new-release-8th-december-2013-king-of-fighters-kof-ultimate-mugen-155993.0.html I saw a compiled Mugen game somewhere contained lots of anime characters including Dragonball characters where I was thinking of starting from there and I can't tell if there are any overpowered god orochi kinds of characters there, so well, that's all I could do if I manage to download that in future.

That's about my history of the dragonball series. I was thinking and hoping to see Dragonball FIghters Z complete edition with all DLC characters playable from start much like Street Fighter V Champion Edition except for the last five DLC characters iirc because my main characters that I want to main were all DLC characters. Still, I am glad that Dragonball series exists and inspire majorities of animes and fighting games all around the world. My current favorite characters of the Dragonball franchises are Goku, Kid Goku and Master Roshi.

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#8  March 08, 2024, 03:14:44 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I saw the news before I get to sleep, and it was a strong news that just hit me hard this morning when I confirmed all is true.

I'm a Dragon Ball fan at heart and this hurt me a lot, he was part of my childhood and adolescence. My drawing style was strongly based on DBZ, I cosplayed various of his characters (mostly Yamcha and Android 17), even I tried to make one character for MUGEN (that AF char of Gohan Z2) and the plans of another one recreated (Saiyajin, one of the Akuma clones of Anti-Gouki Project)... not to mention all the figures, videogames, posters and other merchandising I got...

Yes, it hits me hard, one of my inspirations for life has gone forever. Rest in peace, Toriyama-sama :bigcry:

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#9  March 08, 2024, 03:57:53 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Since everyone is sharing their experience with Toriyama's works, I feel like sharing mine too.

As I said, I've always been a DB fan. I was introduced to DBZ first (before the classic series), and I still remember getting shocked with some of the violent fights from the show, I mostly remember Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz and Nappa vs the Z fighters, and as brutal as they were, I loved them. I fell in love with the anime very quick and it became my all time favorite. Later I found out about the classic series and also watched it, even if the tone was totally different from Z, it was always fun to watch. You can judge me, but I also loved GT as a kid, especially the musics. Watching it a few years ago, now as an adult, I can clearly see the shows flaws, but there are very good moments, not to mention SSJ4 is badass. (and speaking of which, when I first saw Goku SSJ4 in a magazine or something (before actually watching GT), I thought it was a new villain lol)
Dragon Ball also got me into drawing, and Toriyama's style was my way to go. Till this day it's my main inspiration.

In 2013, when they announced a new Dragon Ball movie (Battle of Gods), I got VERY excited and went to see it in the theater. It was so good to be able to enjoy something new from a franchise I loved as a kid, after so much time.

As much as I don't like a few things from Dragon Ball Super (and by no means I hate it, I just think it isn't nearly as good as DBZ or DB), there are also lots of good moments, I enjoy it because it's still Dragon Ball.

I also have ver good memories from playing a lot of DB games: the Butouden, Final Bout, Budokai, Budokai Tenkaichi, Xenoverse series, and more reccently Kakarot. I still play Xenoverse 2 and I fucking love it.

Well, I'm still speachless about this.... Toriyama was part of my childhood and even to this day he is a big influence to my art style and anime taste. A big loss for all of us. May he rest in peace.
Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 06:03:47 pm by Yuko
#10  March 08, 2024, 05:23:27 pm
  • Dev Team of Dragon Claw
Very sad news. DB/Z was part of my teens, so this is pretty heavy news to me. Best wishes to his family and friends.
Reuben "Reu" Kee En Rui: 1984-07-09 - 2007-11-23
(Current max hit count: Click here!) / Dragon Claw
2007-11-20  06:14:42  Reu  Yagami (L) Friends!  gotta get going to the festival cya!! XD *hugz*
2007-11-20  06:14:55  Yagami (L) Friends!  Reu  Alright man! You take care and i'll see ya! *Hugs*
-Extracted from my MSN logbook-
#11  March 08, 2024, 11:55:28 pm
    • Japan
I live in Japan, and this news is very sad for me. I think he is a great person who has created many works.
Dragon Ball is also one of my favorite works.
In deepest sympathy.
#12  March 09, 2024, 03:24:45 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Thinking back, Im pretty sure Dragon Ball is the first manga I ever read from start to finish.
Watching DBZ and DB GT on YTV
Playing Legacy of Goku 2 and 3 on the GBA
Playing Budokai 2 on Gamecube
Reading the manga in class in middle school
Watching a VHS of the first broly movie in japanese with my older brothers.

We've really lost the goat...
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#13  March 10, 2024, 05:08:57 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Damn. Another great artist departs from us. Even though death is expected of us as we grow older and time marches on, it is still quite a shock when someone who is a cultural force like him dies.

While I have not watched the anime, I am rather familiar with Dragon Ball Z solely through the series' interaction with the MUGEN scene. And through that interaction, I have grown appreciative on the series influence on the game and its' characters.

Akira Toriyama and his contributions to the world of anime and culture in general shall be sorely missed. RIP, legend.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#14  March 13, 2024, 04:33:33 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/news/akira-toriyama-last-message/

It was revealed more details about Toriyama's death... and more salt to the wound for all of us. In this article related the final letter Toriyama did before receiving an important prize for his contribution to anime industry. There's the intergral letter translated, but the final paragraph was the most heartbreaking of all. I can't copy it since the site can't let me do it, but he says something like: "Thanks for support me all of these years, but I'm not sure how much I can do since I'm not too confident about my health, but I'll try to do more of my works."

Yeah, it's heartbreaking (especially because he died days before reciving this prize and like a month before his birthday), but it's a good reading to understand what happened to him :mcry:

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#15  March 17, 2024, 08:51:14 pm
  • Is a joke
    • USA
    • Genosan94@gmail.com
I may not have been that much into Dragonball Z (or any of his other works for that matter), but damn, I was legit surprised a bit to hear about his passing.

Anyways, may the legend himself rest in peace.