YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] Z2 Sprite thread (Read 1081892 times)

Started by AlexSin, October 14, 2012, 11:57:57 am
Re: [Theme Thread] Z2 Sprite thread
#1341  June 30, 2017, 10:41:48 am
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
A whole bunch of Patreon Reward sprites I made I never showed off here, so here y'all go:

Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:44:53 am by Balthazar
#1342  June 30, 2017, 01:19:56 pm
  • pew pew
    • sniris5@gmail.com
Base Goku, Vegetto and Yamcha sprites made me nut
#1343  June 30, 2017, 02:04:28 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
Amazeballs!
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#1344  June 30, 2017, 05:18:12 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
The blood on Gohan's chest looks like a question mark.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#1345  July 03, 2017, 07:35:22 pm
    • France
I know it's not perfect but...

#1346  July 03, 2017, 08:16:12 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
#1347  July 03, 2017, 11:39:32 pm
  • "Get up, it's too early for you to be defeated!!"
    • New Zealand
    • EthanHoppe053@gmail.com
Well I requested that time machine on Patreon for "something" too, but sure you have my permission at least on my part. xD
Hardcore Palette and Color Separation enthusiast
#1348  July 07, 2017, 09:22:01 am
    • USA
Always wondered what happened to Force, I miss seeing progress on Trunks. Here's my edited version of his Trunks.

#1349  July 08, 2017, 07:18:02 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
Thats a good looking trunks, i think the body pose is a little awkward (mainly the viewers left arm feels a little stiff) but i like it :)

I made these Krillin Emotes for funzies in this style

ZX2

#1350  July 10, 2017, 12:15:56 pm
  • Bringer of Unseen Tales
  • The Finale Begins With You~
It definitely looks like a fine edit compared to the Trunks I've seen in this thread. It's as good as Ethan's just without the saiyan armor. Actually I forget if it was him that made the saiyan armor Trunks Z2. Overall looks like a good edit  :thumbsup:
#1351  July 11, 2017, 03:42:55 pm
    • USA
I just finished a Merged Zamasu sprite. I plan on making all of the sprites necessary for a Merged Zamasu Z2i over a really long period of time, but I think it's best if my Z2 imitation is critiqued before I move forward.
#1352  July 11, 2017, 05:06:33 pm
  • Getting better, still a long way to go
    • UK
The shading has no anti aliasing at all, it makes it look flatter, more like SFA more than Z2. On top of that the colors are outright used in a different way altogether for Z2, i'd suggest looking up CVS to get a feel for how it should be more akin to. His hands are way too big for him, as i recall him being rather slender (copy pasting hands? Not a wise idea trust me on that one} on top of that his overall pose is just kinda wonky, the entirety of his body is facing the viewer but his head and feet are to the right. Another thing to note is that the lightsource is from directly above, but the shading doesn't really imply that. I'd suggest redrawing the line art and trying again, good luck dude
#1353  July 11, 2017, 07:01:00 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
no anti aliasing
more like SFA

If anything, SFA uses the most anti aliasing than most styles. I don't even get the comparison you are making to the dude's sprite... and I really mean that I don't get it, because your post is a mess to read. "It looks like SFA. I suggest you look at CVS sprites for this Z2 sprite", like, what? You could've just said "look at the way Z2 characters are anti aliased and try to replicate that on your Zamasu".

Why the hell are you even bringing up SFA and CVS when there's already a lot of Z2 material you could use to make your points?

Shit
#1354  July 11, 2017, 08:29:26 pm
    • UK
I suppose you're right, i apologise for the incoherence i should've explained myself further. I was referring to how light is handled, and how in Z2 light affected areas have a second shade to serve as a sort of in between for the shadow color, whereas SFA does not. True i could've said Z2 but i just thought that the way Z2 does it is a bit harder to grasp than CVS so i simply suggested an alternative thats more documented, and could possibly help get an idea of how the colors are used as Z2 started as a CVS-ish style and then changed. But of course looking up Z2 sprites is a good way to go as well but with CVS theres more documentation as stated, giving him more of a foot hold in the style so to speak. As a matter of fact
http://marancv.infinitymugenteam.com/tutorials.html
This should prove helpful as good chunk of whats here can apply to Z2 and is an easier point of entry
#1355  July 11, 2017, 08:57:39 pm
  • Shit

They barely look alike. Stop trying to put them on the same level. Mid-tone shading is not a style specific thing, so quit it with your whole "look at these CvS tutorials for your Z2 sprites", because at this rate, your feedback is becoming harmful. Either give good feedback or don't give feedback at all.

Shit
#1356  July 11, 2017, 09:01:35 pm
  • Tickets ONLY! NEXT!!!
    • USA
I was referring to how light is handled, and how in Z2 light affected areas have a second shade to serve as a sort of in between for the shadow color, whereas SFA does not. True i could've said Z2 but i just thought that the way Z2 does it is a bit harder to grasp than CVS so i simply suggested an alternative thats more documented, and could possibly help get an idea of how the colors are used as Z2 started as a CVS-ish style and then changed...
... This should prove helpful as good chunk of whats here can apply to Z2 and is an easier point of entry

I had to paraphrase a bit of your post in advance, but dude, it's not about what 'this game' does or what 'that game' does. Using a midtone for shading is just art. It's how art works when you put multiple shades of a color into something. Really, all you're doing is probably confusing some poor soul that just wanted to get into the hobby and draw a Zamasu that, for all intents and purposes, isn't that bad!

Wait, what? It's not that bad???

No, it's not. The real problem with it, aside from the hands and pose, would be that the shading is full of banding. Not that it's too close to a particular style. Instead of trying to sound super smart and tossing out buzzwords and acronyms, how about you actually help the guy by teaching him how to do art? Or, better yet, why don't you learn yourself before you go spouting out nonsense at people?
Have you tried "Season 2" Kitty yet?

http://mugenguild.com/forum/senri-project.421
#1357  July 11, 2017, 09:37:38 pm
    • UK
I directed him to CVS as how colors are handled are mirrored somewhaty by Z2 and so thought it'd be a decent way of helping him wrap his head around how shading like that works. Its certainly much better than just saying' Look at Z2' as ultimately that doesn't tell them much, especially if the person is unfamiliar with it. Thats like if someone wanted to learn how to code, instead of maybe telling them references or perhaps put it in to context so they could understand, you just tell them 'Look at code' and nothing else. How the hell am i confusing him by saying 'go check out the style that can ultimately help you get a better grasp on how Z2 works'? Even Balthazer himself said that Z2 is a sort of blend of SF3 and CVS so literally what is the harm? Of course Z2 and CVS have their differences but i genuinely believe that those tutorials would help him understand it a bit more, i really do apologise if thats somehow harmful as i'm unaware of how
#1358  July 11, 2017, 09:49:22 pm
  • Shit
Its certainly much better than just saying' Look at Z2' as ultimately that doesn't tell them much

...but somehow, telling them "look at CvS" is supposed to help them understand a drastically different sprite style?

Shit
#1359  July 11, 2017, 10:01:44 pm
    • UK
Aspects can be taken away from CVS that still apply to Z2, and some less so but can be made easier to understand due to having understood said style, they can tell whats different, why and can adjust accordingly. For instance, the linked tutorials contain a section on 'color ladders' which can be applied to skin, but not say a Gi which usually has quite thick line art.  In regards to anatomy and proportions no arguments whatsoever, that aspect you should focus completely on how Z2 handles it if you really want to be accurate, though of course studying general anatomy is always useful
#1360  July 11, 2017, 10:14:56 pm
  • Tickets ONLY! NEXT!!!
    • USA
There you go! Follow your own advice. XD
Have you tried "Season 2" Kitty yet?

http://mugenguild.com/forum/senri-project.421