YesNoOk

Gametrailers Top 10 Fighting Games (Read 8003 times)

Started by PotS, April 07, 2009, 02:21:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: Just don't send me another apologetic message please.
#81  April 30, 2009, 04:09:06 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
Re: Just don't send me another apologetic message please.
#82  April 30, 2009, 06:01:49 am
  • Causcasian fellows can, in fact, leap! GO BROOKLYN
    • ourc.trinitymugen.net
You must have played against VF deficient players.
The proper term would be VF Casuals. Yes, could be, you don't see many pros, the learning curve is huge.
In my local arcade people were more into KoF and (at some extent) Tekken anyways.

stuff
Oh ok.
Generic faces are a somewhat valid complain (And like I mentioned, the clipping)
but at least Tekken's is ridiculous enough to work.
Zack's story is hilarous (There's your personality... Bass works too), Hayabusa Jan-Lee and Hayate for general badassery, I don't care abut the rest, most endings are generic fanservice (Hitomi, Kasumi, Lei-Fang...then Again Tekken also has Anna..or Nina's ending, I forgot). I play for the gameplay though, not for the endings.

The rest of your points are, yes, matter of taste, still... DOA's designs aren't as generic or uninteresting as you think. And Tekken isn't the pinnacle of character designs (Lilly, generic sumo, Baek) I don't dislike Tekken though.

Complaining about the counter button (Again, seems like you haven't played the latest games where counters are harder to pull, can be properly punished and barely affect gameplay)
it's like complaining about KOF's roll, I mean... sure, you can, it's valid, but that element makes the franchise different to the rest.

My gripe with it is it still feels like a gimmick.

And yes, there's Zack and Bass, but most of the cast takes itself entirely to seriously. It feels like a soap opera with lazy actors. And yes, the gameplay is the most important factor, but in the end, with so many other better options for fighting games, I don't see a reason to care about DOA if the presentation just isn't there. I mean, I may get down on Tekken whenever the VF vs Tekken arguments come up, but when I'm there I can easily tell you why Yoshi has different "heads", or how Kazuya survived a volcano, or why a bear keeps preventing Mr God Fist from winning it all. It's a matter of personal investment, and I lost that with DOA3. :)
Select Filmography: Do The White Thing, Brooklyn, The Assassination of Malcolm Little, Love & Racketball, He Has Extraordinary Skill, Flimflamed, Tales from the Neighborhood
Re: Gametrailers Top 10 Fighting Games
#83  February 24, 2010, 04:34:47 am
If the Street Fighter series takes #1 in the Top 10 mainly because it started every other fighting game franchise brought out after it (no Street Fighter, no other fighting game after it), then how come Data East's 1984 Karate Champ and Konami's 1985 Yie Ar Kung-Fu, the two successful classic arcade games the Street Fighter series was inspired by get little to no appreciation? Is it because they are outdated, while unlike Street Fighter, are incomplete in fighting game design?
My Mugen Wish List would include protagonists, mascots and other iconic characters with everything they have brought straight from their source with little or no editing.
Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:12:41 am by 1983parrothead

MDI

#84  March 04, 2010, 07:04:00 am
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
Hahaha there are people in the comments complaining that there is no Smash Brothers in the list.  ;P
ey
#85  March 05, 2010, 04:03:42 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Just so you 3 know, and everyone else, this list was created in April 2009, so quite some time ago.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.