YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U (Read 2278934 times)

Started by Titiln, November 19, 2004, 06:28:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros [3DS][Wii U]
#1061  July 31, 2013, 02:41:01 am
  • 144p in a 1080p world!
    • Portugal
    • Skype - lc-ddm
    • forums.kc-mm.com
I mean all the pros care about is Vs.

Like literally Brawl to them could be just Vs. mode with new characters and boring stages everywhere and have it play -exactly- like Melee and they'd be happy.

#1062  July 31, 2013, 02:45:35 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
wouldn't we all ?
#1063  July 31, 2013, 04:51:30 am
i spent most of my smash time on all 3 games in vs so i'd be happy too
#1064  July 31, 2013, 04:54:05 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
correct me if im wrong but don't most of us play the other modes just to UNLOCK stuff for use in vs? I mean thats why I did it I wanted to unlock everyone and stages so I could use them how I wanted. If it was just vs and classic id be perfectly ok with that. I hated replaying adventure so many times to get everything in melee.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#1065  July 31, 2013, 04:57:05 am
ya melee and brawl's single player stuff is fun to go through, but just once or twice imo. it doesn't have as much lasting appeal as a good vs mode
#1066  July 31, 2013, 05:01:33 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#1067  July 31, 2013, 05:26:58 am
#1068  July 31, 2013, 11:00:58 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I wouldn't want boring flat stages. Poké-Floats is the best stage :P

Pros aren't pros if they can't adapt their strategy to whatever's thrown at them. Also, items are silly and what make Smash. Turning them off is boring, dull and Fox-only, Final Destination.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#1069  July 31, 2013, 11:17:29 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Pros aren't pros if they can't adapt their strategy to whatever's thrown at them. Also, items are silly and what make Smash. Turning them off is boring, dull and Fox-only, Final Destination.

I don't think you understand anything about professional play.

If you were to fight a professional Melee player in an environment that rewarded skill and not random bullshit and luck factor, you would lose horribly and you'd hate the game and probably cry.  Dealing with random factor BS is not "adapting" to jack shit, imagine if SF had random stage hazards and items you could pick up.  If you can't comprehend this, then I'm even more depressed that Sakurai caters to this crowd instead of trying to please everyone like he did with Melee.
#1070  July 31, 2013, 12:51:14 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
If by "everyone" you mean "people that tried to make a party game into competitive bullshit" then yes.

Smash is, by no stretch of the imagination, competitive, at least in terms of conventional fighting games. In a conventional fighter, you can study a character and your opponent's, know their strengths and weaknesses, and play accordingly. It's a test of your reflexes and memorization skills.

Smash, however, focuses on a different part of your intelligence: improvisational ability. It rewards players who can think on their feet and adapt to the situation. See an item drop? Either grab it and use it, or get the hell away from it if you know your opponent is going to get it. The stage is moving? Better keep up with it.

Smash isn't an organized, fair game, but it shouldn't be knocked for not following a set of predictable rules. Think of most fighting games as Will Turner, and think of Smash Bros as Jack Sparrow. Watching Will's disciplined sword-fighting is definitely impressive, but you can't deny that Jack Sparrow overcoming impossible odds with his quick-thinking is one of big draws of the movies.
#1071  July 31, 2013, 04:44:27 pm
31/7

Pic of the day.  Dazed…

a translation for sakurai's post was also provided
The “pic of the day” originally started as a fun internal update for the people developing the game - we would put up a daily shot on our own corporate website. We soon decided that we wanted to share the fun with the general public, so that’s where we are today.  Please keep in mind, though, that this is just meant to be a little bonus feature - we'll continue to release other information about the game on the website.
#1072  July 31, 2013, 06:40:43 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
#1073  July 31, 2013, 06:55:47 pm
  • Keeping mugen stupid
    • USA
    • fivehundrederrors@hotmail.com
Isn't the point of Smash bros is to play how you want? If you don't wanna play with items why not turn them off? Whats the big deal?
#1074  July 31, 2013, 06:58:15 pm
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
Plus you can turn off the stage hazards and transitions in Injustice and you don't see anybody doing it in the competitive scene, even when they're at the mercy of equally unfair setups due to power advantages over certain items.
Hue.
#1075  July 31, 2013, 07:02:12 pm
    • USA
Because stage hazards in Injustice AREN'T RANDOM. 
#1076  July 31, 2013, 07:05:40 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
There are people that play chess tournaments, and there are people that play TETRIS tournaments. random elements you have to adapt for is present on competitive games for ages.
Soccer games have tons of random elements, not everyone gets on the field on advantages, if the game features those elements then they are there to be adapted to. Maybe if someone has a hammer you know what moves you can shoot at them or what items are best against them, maybe a certain item has disavantadges over other, it all seems like it could be part of the competition.
#1077  July 31, 2013, 07:10:54 pm
    • USA
Those are completely different from fighting games where a randomness factor completely eliminates skill.  For a good example, look at Phoenix Wright in Marvel 3.  When he picks up evidence, it has about a 50% chance of being faulty and useless.  This is a huge reason why nobody but people with serious balls play him, well that and he takes a ton of work and a dedicated team to get going.
#1078  July 31, 2013, 07:19:05 pm
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
That's because he got nerfed to hell and back after he was massively overused for having the definite best assist in the game. Unless you're dealing with pressure-centric, you already have literally two assists to call out for you to fetch evidence simultaneously and can get it all quite easily.

The reason why nobody has "serious balls" to use him competitively is because he's not a guaranteed win compared to the higher threats and takes more patience to use than, say, Vergil. Plus, anyone shooting for Turnabout ASAP will be easily read as hella telegraphed and players have learned to control that shit moderately now.

Might as well say there are no Faust players in GG because there's the risk of getting nothing but donuts and chocolate bars, and What's Next - possibly "BS random factor" incarnate - is an essential part to playing him, despite Nage being a prominent player in the GG scene.
#1079  July 31, 2013, 07:20:05 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#1080  July 31, 2013, 07:22:16 pm
    • USA
Melee was fast, had a ton of single player content (with actual replay value!) and was crazy over the top.  How in the fuck does that not appeal to the casual crowd?  Who wants to play a SLOW party game?  Wouldn't you rather go to a party with loud music and dancing over a family friendly birthday bash with Twister and Monopoly?