YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U (Read 2279051 times)

Started by Titiln, November 19, 2004, 06:28:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros [3DS][Wii U]
#1081  July 31, 2013, 07:23:38 pm
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
It's not slow when you have items on.
 :smug:
#1082  July 31, 2013, 07:25:36 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Melee was fast, had a ton of single player content (with actual replay value!) and was crazy over the top.  How in the fuck does that not appeal to the casual crowd?  Who wants to play a SLOW party game?  Wouldn't you rather go to a party with loud music and dancing over a family friendly birthday bash with Twister and Monopoly?
Well im not an expert on the differences of melee and brawl but brawl was not dead slow either and the sheer randomness factor certainly made for a lot of unexpected moments, which is a very good things for a game like it.

Nintendo certainly needs to make sure the game is good, but focusing on the tryhard crowd is really not the way to go about it with a game like this.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#1083  July 31, 2013, 07:27:48 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Brawl WAS dead slow compared to Melee.  The only thing Brawl had that was more fun party wise was the character lineup.  Melee had better stages for party nonsense too, Mute City dawg. 
#1084  July 31, 2013, 07:30:15 pm
  • Keeping mugen stupid
    • USA
    • fivehundrederrors@hotmail.com
Speaking of items Evo 2008 had SSBB with items on so technically speaking items are competitive.
#1085  July 31, 2013, 07:33:42 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Brawl WAS dead slow compared to Melee.  The only thing Brawl had that was more fun party wise was the character lineup.  Melee had better stages for party nonsense too, Mute City dawg. 
Not really. Aside from a few standouts, melee's stages were pretty bland. Brawl had a lot more variety of stages both visually and gameplay wise (even if some of them were really bad) and it even had some stages from the old games.

#1086  July 31, 2013, 07:36:28 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Those are completely different from fighting games where a randomness factor completely eliminates skill.  For a good example, look at Phoenix Wright in Marvel 3.  When he picks up evidence, it has about a 50% chance of being faulty and useless.  This is a huge reason why nobody but people with serious balls play him, well that and he takes a ton of work and a dedicated team to get going.
I am not sure about capcom's games, but snk games have random damage.
#1087  July 31, 2013, 07:38:41 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Not really. Aside from a few standouts, melee's stages were pretty bland. Brawl had a lot more variety of stages both visually and gameplay wise (even if some of them were really bad) and it even had some stages from the old games.

Right, Brawl with its two Pokemon stadiums, Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus themed Battlefields and Final Destination with Meta Knight's laser in the back had more variety than the game with Mute City, Termina Bay, Poke Floats (which I don't even like) and Classic Kingdom 2.
#1088  July 31, 2013, 07:41:32 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
That's kind of a dumb way to compare all variety that the games supposedly have, but whatever. It's not that big of a deal.

#1089  July 31, 2013, 08:49:18 pm
    • USA
    • xjiggler@yahoo.com
I feel as though Brawl is not one or the other. Say what you want, but I like to see SSB as both. Wanna have a party brawler? Have items on, pick your own stages, etc.

Wanna be competitive? Turn the stages you don't want off, set stage select to random, turn items off, and have a go at it (that's what I do, at least).

I mean, Melee I think wasn't even set to be a competitive fighter, they just had more speed because Sakurai wanted a more crazy and fast paced game. A lot of the combos and such weren't even supposed to be there. But people took it as such, and so it became the "competitive" game.

Brawl was his little revolt, trying to focus on more party play and such. I dunno why he chose to do what he did, but I think he was trying to do what melee wasn't.

I hope SSBU has a nice balance of the two. Something leaning more towards competitive gameplay of Melee, where you can pick it up and have tons of fun and feel like you know what to do, but more time playing it well allow you to learn more combos and techniques, but with the the modes from brawl (expect the story), and an update of brawl's roaster (which I thought was well crafted).
#1090  July 31, 2013, 09:59:36 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Those are completely different from fighting games where a randomness factor completely eliminates skill.  For a good example, look at Phoenix Wright in Marvel 3.  When he picks up evidence, it has about a 50% chance of being faulty and useless.  This is a huge reason why nobody but people with serious balls play him, well that and he takes a ton of work and a dedicated team to get going.

Its a brawler game, not a fighting game, the platforms and the items should be a dead give away, its the same type of game as power stone who also had guns and other items randomly being distributed.

Both players have a chance to get those items and both should work them out as best as they could.
#1091  July 31, 2013, 10:09:14 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
If by "everyone" you mean "people that tried to make a party game into competitive bullshit" then yes.

Smash is, by no stretch of the imagination, competitive, at least in terms of conventional fighting games. In a conventional fighter, you can study a character and your opponent's, know their strengths and weaknesses, and play accordingly. It's a test of your reflexes and memorization skills.

Smash, however, focuses on a different part of your intelligence: improvisational ability. It rewards players who can think on their feet and adapt to the situation. See an item drop? Either grab it and use it, or get the hell away from it if you know your opponent is going to get it. The stage is moving? Better keep up with it.

Smash isn't an organized, fair game, but it shouldn't be knocked for not following a set of predictable rules. Think of most fighting games as Will Turner, and think of Smash Bros as Jack Sparrow. Watching Will's disciplined sword-fighting is definitely impressive, but you can't deny that Jack Sparrow overcoming impossible odds with his quick-thinking is one of big draws of the movies.
So, does that mean that people who says they are professional fighting-game players but only play in SSB series are not true fighting-game players anyway?
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#1092  July 31, 2013, 10:50:51 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
That's a pretty dumb thing to label people as.

#1093  July 31, 2013, 11:55:50 pm
  • 144p in a 1080p world!
    • Portugal
    • Skype - lc-ddm
    • forums.kc-mm.com
correct me if im wrong but don't most of us play the other modes just to UNLOCK stuff for use in vs? I mean thats why I did it I wanted to unlock everyone and stages so I could use them how I wanted. If it was just vs and classic id be perfectly ok with that. I hated replaying adventure so many times to get everything in melee.

Eh, I play Single just as much as I play Multi. Getting the game for just a part of it doesn't make all that much sense to me.

I wouldn't want boring flat stages. Poké-Floats is the best stage :P

Pros aren't pros if they can't adapt their strategy to whatever's thrown at them. Also, items are silly and what make Smash. Turning them off is boring, dull and Fox-only, Final Destination.

Infinithis.

Because stage hazards in Injustice AREN'T RANDOM.

And even if Brawl's were, they give you an assload of time to prepare yourself for the upcoming hazard. You'd have to have no sound to truly make the hazards "random".

#1094  August 01, 2013, 10:57:47 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada

Here's Pit fighting a giant Donkey Kong-shaped tumor.
#1095  August 01, 2013, 11:05:40 am
I have no idea what that stage could be. Inside Bowser? Man i dont know...
#1096  August 01, 2013, 03:04:04 pm
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
It's the Kid Icarus Stage their now inside the reset bomb.
#1097  August 01, 2013, 04:37:13 pm
Pic of the day. Come on out, Cragalanche! (Not really.)
#1098  August 01, 2013, 07:32:29 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
Your post doesn't have an image!
#1099  August 02, 2013, 07:21:31 am
  • "OHHH YES!"
    • Canada
Wanna know what else was slow? Smash 64. There, I said it. It wasn't AS slow as Brawl, but that's a matter of pacing. ST is a lot faster than SF4 if you wanna do fightans too.

But are there truly grown men in this world?!
#1100  August 02, 2013, 09:04:17 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
So, does that mean that people who says they are professional fighting-game players but only play in SSB series are not true fighting-game players anyway?
I don't know where you're getting the idea I said that, nor how I am implying that. All I'm saying is that Smash utilizes a different sort of intelligence than "fair" fighting games.

The only reason I don't say Smash isn't a fighting game is because Sakurai specifically said it isn't, so I'll take his word for it.