YesNoOk

Pegasus Seiya (5th Cloth) Project Page) (Read 44678 times)

Started by Graphicus, September 18, 2012, 11:23:41 am
Share this topic:
Pegasus Seiya (5th Cloth) Project Page)
#1  September 18, 2012, 11:23:41 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Just felt it was time to announce a project I've been working on. As you may be able to tell from the title, the character in question is the protagonist of an anime series called Saint Seiya, which you might also know from it's unfortunate alternative title: Knights of the Zodiac.

There are a lot of Saint Seiya characters available in MUGEN already. The biggest issue I have with the ones I've tried is that they're pretty much broken. Not only that, but it seems to be a standard habit to give them a 30-second-or-more startup for every super move, just because "that's the way it is in the anime!". It gets old in the anime too, people... no need to be so literal in a fighting game, it ruins the pacing.

I'm hoping to change the bad rep Saint Seiya has in MUGEN by creating a CVS/KOF-ish version of the character with flashy, yet tight and non-stupid/overpowered moves. I've got the movelist all planned out already, but I'm still looking for a coder who might share an interest in bringing a decent version of this character to life. If no one's interested, I'll have to learn how to code from scratch and do it myself, of course...

Planned Movelist:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Here are some sprites I've been working on (note that the colors are flat, since I'm still animating. This is NOT the actual palette, nor does it represent the total number of colors that are going to be available in the palette!)

I'm still working on the stance... the arms look nice but the body lacks movement.

This is actually a combination of both the weak and strong punches. I'm planning to make the former cancellable into the latter, so I made sure the transition was smooth.
Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:45:32 am by Graphicus
Re: Pegasus Seiya (5th Cloth) Project Page)
#2  September 18, 2012, 11:52:13 am
  • Vae Victus!
    • USA
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/lord-kains-small-portraits-140580.0.html
looks very promising, like the animations... if you pull this out real nice we could have the best saint seiya character to existence.... good luck!
"Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do?
#3  September 18, 2012, 12:29:07 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Very smooth anims. It's promising indeed.
Good luck.
#4  September 18, 2012, 12:45:02 pm
    • Argentina
#5  September 18, 2012, 07:20:25 pm
    • Argentina
Oh my gawd! This gonna be awesome :lugoi:

What style (of spriting) will he have? :???:

Um... you mean "shading"? (the sprites are right there as far as style is concerned, lol).

Dunno... I was thinking I should go for a clean cartoon-like CVS shading... every other Seiya character I've seen uses a pseudo-SNK shading style, so I'd like to change things up a little. Since the gameplay is planned to be closer to CVS than anything else, I'm thinking that even the colors should match up nicely when facing other CVS chars.

By the way, there are plenty of other sprites available... I'm just lazy to make a gif out of them yet. I've edited my first post to show what has been completed.
Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:18:42 pm by Graphicus
#6  September 18, 2012, 08:45:14 pm
pretty cool Graphicus, even tough Seiya its my least favorite saints of them all i hope you success on this project, will he have Sagitarius golden clothes as an ultra move or something?, perhaps even an Odin Cloth  desperation Move?
#7  September 18, 2012, 09:35:41 pm
    • Argentina
pretty cool Graphicus, even tough Seiya its my least favorite saints of them all i hope you success on this project

Thanks! He's not my favorite Saint either, but I figured I should start with him, since he's the protagonist. If people like the character, I may work on the rest of the Saints later (next should be Dragon Shiryu).

will he have Sagitarius golden clothes as an ultra move or something?, perhaps even an Odin Cloth  desperation Move?

If you look at the Move List, you'll see that he does. He'll put on the cloth momentarily to shoot the golden arrow, then revert back to the Pegasus cloth (just in case anyone was hoping for a transformation).

I'm not giving him an Odin Cloth desperation move. While I did find the Asgard saga interesting, this is supposed to be more of a manga-faithful character... I don't plan to add anything that comes from any filler episodes in the anime (hence the reason it's called Pegasus Seiya 5th Cloth, and not 3rd Cloth). The default palette for the character will be white clothes underneath the cloth (he will have an anime palette too, don't worry).
Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:02:02 am by Graphicus
#8  September 18, 2012, 11:58:59 pm
    • Argentina
Oh my gawd! This gonna be awesome :lugoi:

What style (of spriting) will he have? :???:

Um... you mean "shading"? (the sprites are right there as far as style is concerned, lol).

Dunno... I was thinking I should go for a clean cartoon-like CVS shading... every other Seiya character I've seen uses a pseudo-SNK shading style, so I'd like to change things up a little. Since the gameplay is planned to be closer to CVS than anything else, I'm thinking that even the colors should match up nicely when facing other CVS chars.

By the way, there are plenty of other sprites available... I'm just lazy to make a gif out of them yet. I've edited my first post to show what has been completed.

Oh, yep, I wanted to say that ;D Excellent, I'd like to see them in CVS shading! And Ikki is my favourite but as Seiya is the protagonist, it's ok :P
#9  September 19, 2012, 11:17:28 pm
    • Argentina
Ikki is EVERYONE'S favorite... lol. The only Bronze Saint that's not a crying pansy... ;P

My problem with Ikki is coming up with a movelist that sets him apart from the other saints. If Seiya is a success (which I'm kind of struggling with, as this is my first char), I'll probably work on Dragon Shiryu next. Just because I already have a fun movelist in my head.

Here are more gifs to keep you guys excited about the project (hopefully?)

Awkward kick, I know... I like it, though.

Here's the face get-hit... the floor's just there for reference. Love the detail on the face... too bad it's barely noticeable.

This one looks odd because I can't make the gif go faster... It looks fine in GraphicsGale.
#10  September 19, 2012, 11:58:38 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Anims looking good :) Looks promising!
#11  September 20, 2012, 12:04:14 am
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
looks pretty well done and smooth,keep it up
#12  September 20, 2012, 12:25:42 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
wow those anims look very nice
mugen or nothin

#13  September 20, 2012, 03:12:33 am
    • Argentina
They're looking fking awesome, dude! And yep! Ikki FTW! :sugoi:

Are you thinking to do some funny intro or something with Koga/Tenma? :???: :P
#14  September 20, 2012, 03:46:55 am
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
You've got an amazing way of spriting! I wish you luck man! If you need any effects, let me know! :O
#15  September 20, 2012, 02:19:14 pm
A question: if you're going for open source, are you going to release the sketches (they're really good), or are you going to release the CvS sprites?
I ask you because if someone would like to give a different shading, he could be free to do that instead of editing already shaded sprites; you know, to make things easier.
Good luck with this!
#16  September 20, 2012, 02:44:37 pm
    • Argentina
You've got an amazing way of spriting! I wish you luck man! If you need any effects, let me know! :O

I do need effects, actually!

It's kind of early to start with those yet, though... but I'll definitely ask you for some when the time comes (there's not that many, don't worry).

A question: if you're going for open source, are you going to release the sketches (they're really good), or are you going to release the CvS sprites?
I ask you because if someone would like to give a different shading, he could be free to do that instead of editing already shaded sprites; you know, to make things easier.
Good luck with this!

Hmmm... it's my first character, so I hadn't considered that... not sure if they're going to be open source, yet... probably AFTER I find a programmer and do my version of the character first. When that time comes, sure, I can probably release the sprites the way they appear in the gifs, so that people can shade them differently, if they feel like it. I hope I don't come off as a jerk for saying this, but even if they're open source, I'd still like to get credit (at least in the character's Readme, or something).

Are you thinking to do some funny intro or something with Koga/Tenma? :???: :P

I was thinking I'd just do the typical Pandora Box intro, where the cloth appears in its constellation form, then splits up and jumps onto Seiya's body.
Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:05:27 pm by Graphicus
#17  September 22, 2012, 08:05:55 pm
    • Argentina
Sorry for double posting.

All standing and crouching moves are done! Here's a preview of some crouching moves! (sorry for the abuse of speed lines... they're there for reference, mostly... the animation looks fine without the frames in which they appear, too).

#18  September 22, 2012, 08:17:08 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
that looks very neat! Glad to see you making more stuff.
#19  September 23, 2012, 05:58:05 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
i really like the way you sprite man
mugen or nothin

#20  September 24, 2012, 07:42:19 pm
  • Walking on a Dream !!
    • Mali
Nice graphicus !!! If you need some help for the shading i'm your guy !!
#21  September 24, 2012, 07:45:05 pm
    • France
Haha, Graphicus+Methiou, the new spriting team (much like Darkdez+SolBlaze). :D
#22  September 24, 2012, 09:15:28 pm
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
    • thanewdude07.deviantart.com/
Great stuff man! Love the animations! I am watching this topic ;)

More stuff Get ready for the best yusuke ever!! http://thanewdude07.deviantart.com/

Check out my youtube for more fun stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamSpamBustah?feature=guide
#23  September 25, 2012, 12:48:56 am
    • Argentina
Iced & YoungSamurai5 & thanewdude07: Thanks, still making progress! Still working out the kinks and stuff!

Cybaster: LOL, I feel like I'm just doing the chump work on those KOFXIII sprites. methiou's doing all the hard work.

methiou: I'd love to have you help me out with the shading! I'll finish all of the animations first, though.

Quick set of noob questions that I hope someone (anyone) can answer, seeing as how this is my first character and I'd like to avoid as many future problems as possible. I'm looking at existing sprite sheets to try to look for patterns, or things that I might not realize are obvious, due to lack of experience. I also don't have a coder to tell me "make sure that when doing X animation, that you follow this process, etc...". Here are my questions:

1. All sprites are pre-aligned... I've heard a lot of threads discussing the extra work involved in aligning sprites, so every frame is displayed within the same-sized box. If you look at the gifs, you will see the white border, indicating what I'm referring to. Can you tell me if I correctly understood what aligning meant, based on those gifs? Also, how do I even align jumping/dashing/dodging/etc sprites? Do I even have to? I mean, I can have Seiya spin in place for the jumping forward/backward anim, but I'm not sure it matters, since any variation in speed and angle will probably throw everything off and will probably have to be realigned by the coder anyway...

2. Other than general common sense when spriting moves (such as making sure the character has a normal reach, speed, etc...), are there any things I should watch out for? Are there any animations that have a pre-determined number of frames that I'm not supposed to exceed, or that I'm supposed to reach, due to the way MUGEN works? I already know sprites are mirrored on the P2 side (which is a downer when the character is not symmetric). A dumb example would be: Am I allowed to create separate animations for jumping forward/backward? or walking backward/forward? Or does MUGEN inevitably require that the animations be exactly the same, only in reverse? (I'm pretty sure it doesn't in these cases, but I'm no expert, so it's better to ask now).

If there's anything that I haven't asked that you feel I should know, please tell me! :D
Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:55:56 am by Graphicus
#24  September 25, 2012, 04:15:36 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
im gonna answer #1 because im have no clue about the 2nd one lol. first of all you are ahead of the game with aligning some of your sprites as coders hate aligning sprites ( i know from experiance smh). aligning things such as dashes and jumps and what not is best that you keep them centered as the coder will pretty much do the same and let the game gravity do the rest. but your gifs look pretty cool btw lol.
mugen or nothin

#25  September 25, 2012, 05:24:05 am
    • Argentina
Ok, so keep him centered during those, then... gotcha (that's what I've been doing by the way, thankfully).

Anything else?
Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:19:53 pm by Graphicus
#26  September 25, 2012, 07:38:32 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
other than that from what i see you are doing a great job
mugen or nothin

#27  September 25, 2012, 09:21:52 pm
Am I allowed to create separate animations for jumping forward/backward? or walking backward/forward? Or does MUGEN inevitably require that the animations be exactly the same, only in reverse?

You can do both. But the char's animations are
-jumping neutral, jumping forward, jumping backward
-walking back, walking forward
-running forward, hop backward
-stand turning, crouch turning
-etc.

So I would suggest to create separate animations for each action, it will make your char more complete.

#28  September 25, 2012, 09:34:50 pm
    • Argentina
Awesome, yeah... I was planning to (I try to avoid recycling stuff if I can help it). I just didn't want to do all that work for nothing if it was going to be unusable.

Also, does it make sense to do a start-up frame for jumping, or are characters launched immediately into the air as soon as you press up, up/forward, up/back? By start-up frame I mean a frame where the character bends his knees slightly to jump (like a normal person, basically)
#29  September 25, 2012, 09:42:23 pm
Yes, that makes sense.

Anim 40 is in fact "Jump start frame".
#30  October 05, 2012, 12:59:50 am
    • Argentina
Sorry for the lack of updates, guys. I've been going back to some of my previous animations and noticing a lot of problems, which doesn't go too well with my OCD (I was going to fix these during the coloring/shading process, but it bothered me too much). I haven't had a lot of opportunity to work on new animations yet (except the dash forward, which I now realize was completely pointless, since he's going to run). The project is not dead however.

Feedback is still welcome, btw.
#31  October 05, 2012, 01:21:42 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
Seems like an interesting project. You got my support !

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#32  October 05, 2012, 02:01:47 pm
(except the dash forward, which I now realize was completely pointless, since he's going to run).

I don't think it's pointless; think of it this way: if you're going to make a CvS styled char, or a Street Fighter styled character you have the animations done, but if you do a SNK char you don't need them, so you can choose between one and the other. Or both, if you are going for a custom one.
But maybe I make someone think I'm requesting something, so I just stop.

The project is not dead however.
Nice to know that!  :sugoi:

#33  October 05, 2012, 08:11:57 pm
  • Whats a girlfriend? its something you can eat?
    • Spain
Wow super sweet anims!
Wish you the best of lucks with this Wip, ive never been a fan of Saint Seya, but this rocks to much!
#34  October 06, 2012, 01:30:53 pm
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
beautifull anims man: i'm definitely following this :)
#35  November 11, 2012, 09:22:58 am
    • Argentina
Man, 4th page of the "Projects" section... I need to get it together.

Basically, I've been busy with work, so I've been going slow, but steady. I'm trying to get all the basics out of the way first, which I'm not going to post yet as you may find them boring to look at. Based on the checklist I've made (and assuming I don't keep adding stuff to it), I'm currently 53% done with all flat shaded animations (like the ones I've been posting). It's been extremely hard not to sprite some of the more entertaining moves, but I have to do this, or I might lose the will to continue (I feel like I'm on a drawing "diet").

Just a couple of things I've changed:

New vertical jump sprite. Didn't like the old one... (there are new start-up frames, of course):

Also, here's one of the concepts for a potential shading style... I'm not very good at it, but I think it came out pretty nice (not CVS, though):

Left: Manga Palette.
Right: Anime Palette.
Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:35:39 pm by Graphicus
#36  November 11, 2012, 11:17:50 am
Really nice! I like the shading you added. I think it add an anime-esque feeling to your sprite. Keep going!
A question: is the lightsource positioned like the one in KoF? Not above the characters like in CvS?
At least we'll see something different, for a change. :yippi:
#37  November 11, 2012, 11:27:32 am
    • Argentina
Don't remember what KOF's lightsource was, but mine's supposed to be top-right (top-left for P2).
#38  November 11, 2012, 11:44:54 pm
  • I need your help...
    • Mexico
¡Caballeros del Zodiaco! Contra las fuerzas demoníacas, Guardan siempre en su corazón ¡Coraje para vencer! This is the song in audio latino, really I like to see more and more from your Pegasus Seiya mi amigo, good work in it!!

Contact me if you want a mugen stuff or if you wanna give a donation I appreciate.
: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=EMU3HTMW4MPUL
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 1307-0181-1655
Name: chuchoryu
#39  November 12, 2012, 12:55:09 am
    • USA
I tried my hand at shading, it's CPS2-ish

Maybe you could do something like it?
#40  November 12, 2012, 01:42:54 am
    • Argentina
¡Caballeros del Zodiaco! Contra las fuerzas demoníacas, Guardan siempre en su corazón ¡Coraje para vencer! This is the song in audio latino, really I like to see more and more from your Pegasus Seiya mi amigo, good work in it!!

I used to watch the show in Argentina. That opening was actually originally in French (for the French dub) which, for cost-reasons, was then dubbed into Italian for the Italian version, and then finally dubbed into Spanish for every Spanish speaking country in the world (the song is actually sung by a Spanish person, not a Latin one... you can hear the accent more vividly in the chorus).

Eventually, Cartoon Network acquired the rights to play the show and finally decided to translate the original openings and endings (they did a pretty good job, too, if I say so myself).

But yeah, as horrible as that opening is, it's still a classic :D

I tried my hand at shading, it's CPS2-ish

Maybe you could do something like it?

LOVE IT!!  :swoon:

Man, that looks SO FREAKIN' good! I wish I knew how to shade in CPS2 style!  TT _ TT
#41  November 12, 2012, 05:18:08 am
  • I'm a empty vessel seeking to be filled.
    • USA
#42  November 12, 2012, 08:42:17 am
    • Argentina
Yeah, that was just a concept, mostly... I'm sure there are hundreds of better ways to go about it. You guys are welcome (read: encouraged) to throw some other concepts my way, like Karasai did.

OK, well... this is my progress:

Standing moves are all done, so are crouching. I have to finish some of the jumping moves (which I've sketched out during lunch at work, and then ended up leaving the page on my desk  :wall:). Once I'm done with those, I can move on to miscellaneous stuff, like knockouts (both regular and spinning), charging super bar, intro and victory poses. Once I'm done with those, I can finally start with all of the special moves. Like I mentioned in another thread, I forced myself to leave this until the very end so I wouldn't lose motivation and get bored of the character.

I do need some help with effects (originally, I was just going to sprite them in a Capcom kind of way, but if I end up with CVS shading, I might end up using CVS effects instead) and finding sound samples, preferably extracted from the first PS2 game (I don't dislike the second cast, though, so if the second game is easier to rip, I'm okay with that).

Finally, hoping someone will want to code him, eventually... It'd suck to do all this work and never see it come to fruition. I need someone who can ensure he has tight controls and proper timings (to differentiate him from all the broken-ass Saint Seiya characters before him). Think KOF or CVS gameplay (although I have extra sprites for other types of gameplay, as well).
Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:53:55 pm by Graphicus
#43  November 12, 2012, 06:52:32 pm
  • I need your help...
    • Mexico
Great information (about the intro mia amigo) but for the moment I like to see this char in progress and if you need help to painting yours sprites I can help you mi amigo, great work

Contact me if you want a mugen stuff or if you wanna give a donation I appreciate.
: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=EMU3HTMW4MPUL
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 1307-0181-1655
Name: chuchoryu
#44  November 12, 2012, 09:40:23 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
youll find someone to code this one, this character is too good to not be coded. you put alot of work into this man and i love to see hard work rewarded :D
mugen or nothin

#45  November 13, 2012, 02:02:21 am
Looks great, dude!  Keep it up!
#46  November 18, 2012, 11:49:48 pm
    • Argentina
This took a long time, but it's finally complete! (minus the shading)

INTRO ANIMATION!!!

Hope you like it! C&C Welcome!
Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:20:59 am by Graphicus
#47  November 18, 2012, 11:55:26 pm
    • France
Wow, super smooth. Congrats. :)
#48  November 19, 2012, 12:10:40 am
    • Netherlands
Indeed, this is pretty tight :D
#49  November 19, 2012, 12:28:06 am
    • Argentina
Fucking awesome!!! ;D

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#50  November 19, 2012, 12:56:36 am
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
man this is fucking awesome :D

dale compadre sigue asi ,esto se ve bastante prometedor :)
#51  November 19, 2012, 01:38:10 am
    • USA
(;
#52  November 19, 2012, 01:48:26 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
wow dude this is too awesome man
mugen or nothin

#53  November 19, 2012, 01:59:04 am
    • Argentina
#54  November 19, 2012, 02:00:21 am
    • Argentina
(;

Haha, awesome!  :)

Just one thing to point out: The Pandora Box (where the cloth is stored) is made of stone, so it's all gray.

Also, for the anime purists: Could you make his pants blue? Like Jeans? I know it makes no sense to do so, since his pants are red when he wears the Pegasus Cloth, but this was an issue even in the anime... even though he was always wearing jeans, the pants would change into red spandex when he put it on. :D
Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:07:09 am by Graphicus
#55  November 19, 2012, 02:15:15 am
  • In-training Artist
    • Colombia
hey!! i haven't seen this topic in a while... you've done a lot... awesome job!!! loving the way hi puts his armor on... :D
#56  November 19, 2012, 02:26:42 am
    • USA
Like this?
#57  November 19, 2012, 04:49:13 am
    • Argentina
Lol, yeah... that's perfect (I know it's a dumb request, but those who watched the show will appreciate it :)).
Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:20:13 am by Graphicus
#58  November 19, 2012, 05:23:44 am
    • USA
here's another frame and a unfinished Pegasus
#59  November 19, 2012, 05:36:45 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
This project is looking awesome man! Great animations so far
#60  November 19, 2012, 05:48:44 am
    • USA
okay i stop :D
#61  November 19, 2012, 09:08:06 pm
    • Argentina
okay i stop :D

Lol, that's great. Sadly, I've modified the crouching sprites since then, cause they were a bit tiny. Also, if you're having fun, knock yourself out, no need to stop.

A friend of mine that goes by the name NeoMarkOD decided to give shading the sprite a shot. He came up with this:

Note that I'll probably go for a CVS-style, but this thing looks so awesome that I thought you guys might want to see it.
Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:40:03 pm by Graphicus
#62  November 19, 2012, 11:42:32 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
man that shading looks awesome man
mugen or nothin

#63  November 20, 2012, 02:48:02 am
    • Argentina
It doesn't look bad but I'd like to see your shading! :)
#64  November 20, 2012, 03:19:51 am
    • Argentina
I already did my own version. Thought it looked pretty good. See post 15 of page 2.
#65  November 20, 2012, 06:07:02 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
mugen or nothin

Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:11:10 am by YoungSamurai5
#66  November 20, 2012, 06:21:48 am
    • Argentina
SNK/CVS style. Tight controls, but still fast and combo-friendly (that last part is becoming extremely hard to plan in advance).
#67  November 20, 2012, 09:51:57 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
ahh ok i see, this is bound to turn out nice then
mugen or nothin

#68  November 21, 2012, 02:52:24 am
    • Argentina
Sorry, but I don't have anything new to post here (well, I do... but not yet), so I though I'd post OLD stuff!

Here's the thing: I'm an "original material" purist... I hate it when adaptations change so much stuff that they make the original works almost unrecognizable. My first attempt at making Seiya was going to have him wearing his original manga cloth. Here's some (ugly as f***) stuff from my previous attempt at this project:

Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:59:12 am by Graphicus
#69  November 21, 2012, 03:32:34 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
lol wow man i like your old stuff as well. i can see the improvment as well
mugen or nothin

#70  November 21, 2012, 03:17:13 pm
  • Walking on a Dream !!
    • Mali
#71  November 21, 2012, 03:30:09 pm
    • Argentina
My reaction (that's supposed to be drool, not vomit):

#72  November 21, 2012, 10:00:13 pm
  • Vae Victus!
    • USA
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/lord-kains-small-portraits-140580.0.html
"Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do?
#73  November 22, 2012, 01:51:46 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
mugen or nothin

#74  November 22, 2012, 02:30:55 am
  • StormEX
    • USA
#75  November 22, 2012, 04:43:44 am
    • Argentina
I fking love that shading!  :doom:
#76  December 01, 2012, 08:25:11 pm
  • A pixel here, a pixel there...
    • Argentina
    • neo.markod@hotmail.com
    • http://dividiendoceros.blogspot.com.ar/
Hello Guys, NeoMarKOD here. I'm the one helping Graphicus with the Seiya coloring and shading.

As I was receiving criticism from him, I decided to come to the source and show you how I started and my current progress

This was my first try, worth to mention this also was my first time with graphicsgale (or pixel art for all that matters). The lines were very marked and looked too 16-bitty

Second try. Pretty much the same thing but the shadowing changed a bit. G told me to drop the 45º spotlight angle for a 90º. The style is still very 3rd gen.

Third try. This time I eliminated the outlines almost completly. 90º angle but it was a bit too clear color whise, too many shadings used in the armor bits and very pixelated at first, you can't see that in this pic cos I cleaned it in the end.

this is the 4th try and my current one. I used Bison/Vega from CvS as basemodel for the palette and tried to make it (in G's words) "like they belong to the same game". Well, what do you think?

btw, I LOVE methiou's coloring, it's simply AMAZING! well done, dude!
Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:04:53 pm by NeoMarKOD
#77  December 01, 2012, 08:57:34 pm
It looks really good, by the way there are some grey pixels on his right foot (your left), the ones under the outline (I hope you can understand what I mean), and do a bit more anti-alias and it will look CvS!
I'm still interested in those sketches though...
#78  December 01, 2012, 09:01:38 pm
    • Argentina
    • neo.markod@hotmail.com
It looks really good, by the way there are some grey pixels on his right foot (your left), the ones under the outline (I hope you can understand what I mean), and do a bit more anti-alias and it will look CvS!
I'm still interested in those sketches though...

Yeah, i do. I was reviewing the thread and I saw those damn 3 pixels sticking up! lol

I'm taking them off as I write
#79  December 02, 2012, 06:46:04 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
wow your shading is very nice man
mugen or nothin

#80  December 02, 2012, 04:43:48 pm
    • Netherlands
This certainly has a 'pro' feel to it. Keep it up!
#81  December 03, 2012, 06:16:16 am
    • Argentina
    • neo.markod@hotmail.com
Dumping this bit of animation freshly painted.

I don't like how the shadowing ended in Seiya's chest, gotta correct that.

#82  December 03, 2012, 07:42:17 am
    • France
Seiya's clothes probably need a little more contrast, but this is palette related more than about the shading itself.
Could probably get an additional tone for anti-aliasing though.

The armour is dope. Loving it. Really looks like it's shining.
#83  December 03, 2012, 01:26:13 pm
  • Walking on a Dream !!
    • Mali
i agree !!!  Really nice shading !!! Keep it up !!!
#84  December 03, 2012, 03:20:57 pm
    • Argentina
I like it but I'm agree with Cybaster and I've "fixed" it a bit, I hope you don't mind but I think if you can do this, it'll be great, buddy! :)

P.S: As you can see, I've edited other parts, hehe

Posted: December 03, 2012, 03:29:17 pm
Another version with one more color on his hair

You can do it or you just have to use a dark colors for hair because it's slightly bright ;)

lows

#85  March 13, 2013, 03:54:03 pm
WOW, this seiya is very awesome, any news?
#86  March 13, 2013, 06:53:21 pm
    • Argentina
Not yet... I still have most of the work done (except for the colors), but I'm working on some paid projects that I barely have had time to do and it wouldn't be ethical to spend what little free time I have working on my own projects before completing those.

Also, not that it bothers me, personally... but try not to revive 3-month old threads since it's against the forum rules.
Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:54:27 am by Graphicus
#87  May 13, 2013, 07:54:45 am
    • Argentina
Sorry for the lack of updates (and sorry for not providing a substantial one now) but I've made some changes to the character's main stance that I thought you guys might like. Here it is:

Old > New

I think I might add some hair movement and then I can call this done, animation-wise...
#88  May 13, 2013, 08:37:04 am
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
The progress is coming along nicely. I like that you've gave him more of a body movement.

Shit
#89  May 13, 2013, 10:31:59 am
    • France
Very smooth. :)
#90  May 13, 2013, 02:02:29 pm
If shaded correctly, that could be a CPSIII / SFIII styled animation. Smooth indeed.
#91  May 13, 2013, 07:23:25 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
looks super nice man! if shading is done right it will look even smoother.(Alex S. beat me to it.)
#92  May 14, 2013, 10:47:06 pm
    • Argentina
Winpose No. 1 (still deciding how Seika's image will look in-game. Don't want to unnecessarily increase the palette count just for this winpose).

Hope you guys like it.

My plan for Winpose No. 2 is for Seiya to do some fancy pose while he says "Kimi wa kosumo wo kanjita koto ga aru ka" ("Have you ever felt your own cosmo?") in true ending fashion.

Heck, I might even add "Moero! Ore no kosumo yo!" (Burn! Cosmo of mine!") during the intro, if I can rip the sounds in good quality.
Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:50:39 pm by Graphicus
#93  May 15, 2013, 08:09:00 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
Winpose No. 1 (still deciding how Seika's image will look in-game. Don't want to unnecessarily increase the palette count just for this winpose).

Hope you guys like it.

My plan for Winpose No. 2 is for Seiya to do some fancy pose while he says "Kimi wa kosumo wo kanjita koto ga aru ka" ("Have you ever felt your own cosmo?") in true ending fashion.

Heck, I might even add "Moero! Ore no kosumo yo!" (Burn! Cosmo of mine!") during the intro, if I can rip the sounds in good quality.

well if your intention is to just make seikas image with no pal change you can just make it a helper or explode and her colors wont matter because they wont have to be inserted in the pal.

great winpose by the way
mugen or nothin

#94  May 23, 2013, 08:23:47 am
  • Yare Yare Daze
Something that you could use

#95  May 24, 2013, 12:07:01 am
    • Argentina
Maybe for the colors, a bit... the rest doesn't really go with what my plans are. Thanks for the help, though! :)

I've decided to treat myself and sprite the first Super Move... coming up, PEGASUS RYU SEI KEN!!
#96  May 25, 2013, 09:39:18 am
  • Half Mutant, Half Saiyan
Great! Seiya is looking promising so far, I'll be waiting to see the ryu sei ken.
Regarding the winpose, you could use it to make different versions of it (Seika, Athena and Marin)
Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:09:27 pm by Wolvegeta
#97  June 01, 2013, 07:02:28 am
    • Argentina
Regarding the winpose, you could use it to make different versions of it (Seika, Athena and Marin)

That's not a bad idea... I kind of chose Seika due to the timeline in which Seiya is wearing that particular version of the cloth, since her reappearance is such an important moment. But I will consider it.

Now... the moment (I'm hoping) you've all been waiting for!!

*drumroll*

"MOERO!! ORE NO KOSUMO YO!!! PEGASUS RYU SEEEEI KEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNN!!"
(BURN!! COSMOS WITHIN ME!! PEGASUS MEEEEEEEEETEOR PUUUUUUUUUUUNCHES!!)

A few clarifications:

1. Animation is supposed to be a bit faster (Also, I couldn't get the timing of some parts exactly the way I wanted them).
2. The meteors in the gif are not final AT ALL. They're there just to represent the idea... I'm hoping someone can help me with some CVS-styled meteor effects.
3. I'm now thinking his punches should go a lot more towards the opponent rather than 45 degrees up/down... the arms and the body are in different layers, so I can fix that in no time.

Feedback please!
Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:07:38 am by Graphicus
#98  June 01, 2013, 07:20:59 am
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
Oh my god. The animation is so damn good looking, because it's more than just meteors coming out from his hand. That quick punching just goes perfectly well with the Ryu Sei Ken, not to mention the constellation he draws with his hands is also a wonderful touch.

Shit
#99  June 01, 2013, 07:49:32 pm
  • StormEX
    • USA
That's incredible ! :O
#100  June 02, 2013, 04:36:13 pm
    • Netherlands
Wow, congrats, that looks mighty!
#101  June 03, 2013, 12:31:46 am
    • Argentina
I'm so happy you guys liked it! :D It was a lot of work!!  :bigcry:

I've made the changes I mentioned above:

1. No change to animation speed. Same crummy gif program, same crummy speed :P
2. No more punches pointing too high up or too high down.
3. Prettier meteors so you can enjoy the GIF a lot more (even though they're going to be replaced with CVS-effects).

I think it's a big improvement overall! :)

Old > New
#102  June 03, 2013, 04:59:30 pm
  • SNK is life
Amazing stuff man, keep it up!!
#103  June 03, 2013, 05:32:44 pm
    • Argentina
    • sutcliffsouji.wix.com/cp-chazzanova
Awesome, would be great to see this character in a style similar to choujin style.
#104  June 04, 2013, 10:33:18 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
this is a pretty nice improvement
mugen or nothin