YesNoOk

Samus Aran by Varia31 Patch 3.2 Released! (Read 32792 times)

Started by Varia31, September 11, 2013, 10:28:12 pm
Share this topic:
Samus Aran by Varia31 Patch 3.2 Released!
New #1  September 11, 2013, 10:28:12 pm
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din.
    • USA
    • variathehunter@yahoo.com
    • youtube.com/user/Varia31
Aaaand, here we go! A VERY special thanks to BaganSmashBros for the AI patch, The bug where she could move before the round begins has been remedied. Enjoy! See below for changes. I do not plan on working on her again otherwise.

Video preview.
http://www.youtube.com/v/waChIwVfguM

UPDATED 8/6/2014

->DOWNLOAD UPDATE 3.2 HERE!<-

NEW
-Now has two guard push options! Pressing y+z when getting hit while guarding will initiate a Plasma Beam shot to ward off or knock down the enemy. Pressing x+y while guarding when the enemy is close will trigger a one handed grab where Samus will lift the opponent into the air, and then toss them across the stage.
-Range on standard grab has been increased a bit, so grabbing should be a little easier.
-Numerous attack property tweaks! Crouching Cannon Exploder now launches straight up, so you can follow up with attacks like Shinespark and Screw Attack. If you want to see combos like this in action, the AI can show them off for you. ;)
-Fixed the length of Samus' "jump start" frame, so she jumps immediately now. Previously, it took her half a second, making her jump rather sluggish.
-Jump height is slightly higher now.
-Run speed is faster.
-In addition to hitflag/guardflag and damage tweaks, attacks such as the Grapple Beam trip are a bit faster, and more reliable. So pretty much all of her attacks can be pretty useful in their own way now.

Enjoy the changes!

NOTE: Alternate Idle stances or intros are activated by using an alternate palette.
Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:28:28 pm by Varia31
Re: Samus Aran by Varia31
#2  September 12, 2013, 03:38:31 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
It's great to see another Samus being made for Mugen.  :yes:

The edited texture that you've added is a tad too pixelated IMO.  Judging from the video, she has white pixels outside of many sprites as well.  Perhaps you should clean her sprites and simplify/index her colors better.  You could also maybe tinker with your previously mentioned texture method.  As of now, her sprites remind me of Doom Guy from the Doom series.

Her animations are actually pretty well done.  Sure, they could use some work here and there but I applaud you on the smoothness of her anims.  ^_^

I'm really looking forward to seeing how your project shapes up man.
Good luck!  :2thumbsup:
#3  September 12, 2013, 05:05:02 am
  • *Insert text here*
    • USA
Have to agree with micah here, the project looks promising. A minor nitpick, but you should think about getting different explosion fx for the morph ball and arm cannon attack. In my opinion it seems a bit unappealing. Also what did you have in mind in terms of her moveset? Are you gonna be mixing different weapons and abilities from the metroid games, or are you sticking to one game?

I wish you luck on the project!
#4  September 12, 2013, 05:22:34 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
I'd love to see this in CvS style.
#5  September 12, 2013, 05:37:55 am
  • Just a thinker...
    • mugenzxplus.187inc.net
Oh a Samus character :yippi: As Samus, she has a lot variety in terms of arsenal. You can try adding the best of her moveset. Good luck on your proyect
#6  September 12, 2013, 10:50:18 am
    • USA
Thank you for the feedback and critiques guys, it means a lot knowing I'm on the right track, and I could use all the help and tips I can get.

@TRUEMicah Her edited texture is part of the 3D model itself. I didn't edit the coloring of the sprites. And it does look a bit pixelated, but that's to blame for having to resize the snapshots I took. Honestly this was the look I was going for though: a pre-rendered sprite look similar to Donkey Kong Country. I've done too much on her sprites to want to change anything by now. I have also cleaned up the extra white stuff you mentioned. Thank you though!

@Cryonemisis Her arm cannon explosion attacks I may leave as is, since when I first started this it was one of her earliest attacks and I didn't know about separating the effect at the time. The explosion frames are part of the sprites themselves. Now, maybe I could see about overlapping the sprites with better looking effects, but I'll see. The Morph Ball bomb explosion is an easy replacement though, I could probably find a blue one, like a call back to the Metroid Prime trilogy. ;)

Her weapons will mainly be from one game, as more of just her iconic weapons. She has her missile and Power Beam, as you can see in the video, but she will also have her Super Missile, Wave Beam, and Plasma Beam. Those will be performed with directional command inputs. I'm wanting to do her charge shot for her Power Beam for at least her standing and crouch positions. Perhaps I'll see about her Light and Dark Beams too, but I didn't consider those originally. She will also have her Ice Beam, but it'll be reserved for her level 2 Super attack.

Planned Supers as follows:
Level 1 - Counter Attack: Think Alucard Batman's counter Super. Samus will stand in a ready position, and of struck, will retaliate with a Lethal Strike, pinning the enemy down for a point blank shot.

Level 2 - Speed Booster Barrage: She'll freeze her enemy with the Ice Beam, then run off screen, then run back and forth ramming with the Speed Booster, then finish by grabbing her enemy, shinesparking upwards, then hurling the enemy down to the ground.

Level 3 - Power Bomb: Speaks for itself. She lays a Power Bomb that covers a large portion of the screen, doing a large amount of damage.

I will probably need help with the Supers though. I have a few more attacks I need to give her, aside from more weapons, but just last night I added the ability to shoot diagonally downward in the air. She does a triple Power Beam Shot, and with the missile, a single one.

Again, thank you for getting back to me on this. I appreciate it! I do have a question though, would any of you be able to help me with a couple of the problems I mentioned in the second video? The one with Samus not getting up, and her "Lie Dead" animation not playing?
#7  September 12, 2013, 03:13:22 pm
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
For coding advice, your best bet would be visiting the Mugen Development Help section.
There are a few coding Gods experts there that would love to assist you.  :yes:
#8  September 12, 2013, 04:23:01 pm
    • USA
Okay, thanks!

The jumping downward missile is now functional. I must say it makes for good techniques with hopping backwards and launching a missile at someone's foot real quick. Good for keeping enemies guessing and working as a bit of a keep away move. She's starting to tank some serious firepower! Good thing I made her projectiles relatively weak. It pays off better to use her melee.
#9  September 12, 2013, 05:12:41 pm
    • Brazil
    • www.facebook.com/ramza.neko.52
In a future when I will have lots of free time I will convert these to CVS lol -dreams
#10  September 15, 2013, 02:14:02 pm
    • USA
Okay, quick update! Samus' Wave Beam and Plasma Beam are now working. To fire the Wave Beam, you hold away from your opponent when you press the beam fire key , and then keep on pressing, but she has a slow start up before firing. Same with the Plasma Beam, which is stronger, but has a slower start-up, and you hold forward instead. For some reason the Wave Beam won't play it's sound effect when fired, despite being coded to use the sound, which is a WAV format, as per the recommended format. There must be something I missed, or a problem, and I'll just have to find a different sound or change its index.

Now I need to work on her last two air attacks, her last two crouch attacks, her throw, and then her Super Missile. Once I do those and I iron out the problem with her not getting back up, she should be about ready for a Beta release! Oddly enough, it seems to depend on the type or strength of attack she gets hit with that decides whether she stays down or not. Sometimes it's possible to trigger her recovering by hitting her while she's down, but sometimes her CLSN box doesn't function properly, making her untouchable. I should probably check and make sure all CLSN boxes are placed correctly.
#11  September 15, 2013, 05:32:24 pm
Wow, this samus looks beautiful and easily the best mugen version of her that I have ever seen, I love the super smash Bro's version of her as well its my fave of them all personally  8) :) and I would definitley replace any samus in my roster at the moment with this one when it gets released, it already looks Awesome and I am really looking forward to this character personally :yippi: 

well done Varia31 and good luck with samus as well I think you are definitley on the right track as well by the way and I think she will be really Awesome when she's finished  :2thumbsup: :D

and just one question: will she be released for winmugen or mugen 1.0 just so I know which section of the site to look out for her as I am really excited about this character personally so just wondered

and again good luck with her Varia31.... she's looking great so far :)
#12  September 15, 2013, 07:06:36 pm
    • USA
@galactus Thank you! She is my very first character for MUGEN, so I'm hoping to leave a good first impression my making Samus to the best of my ability. The MUGEN version she is going to released for (and is being being developed in), is MUGEN 1.0.

I still need to finish some more of her moves and fix a problem with her getting back up, and I should release a beta. I have some Super attacks for her too, but I'll probably do those after I've released the beta (and I've taken a bit of a break lol). I may do at least one Super, but we'll see.
#13  September 16, 2013, 07:22:02 pm
Dont Worry Varia31 I am sure that this samus will make a great impression especially for your first character, I know Im impressed :) I think your Samus looks like the Best version of her for mugen yet personally ;)  .......and thanks for letting me know which mugen she will be released for as I am definitley looking forward to this character and will keep an eye out for her release :yippi:

I dont blame you for wanting to take a break after releasing a beta either, looks like there's a lot of work involved....... and I think the beta will be Awesome anyway :D

and good luck with fixing her getting up problem as well by the way :)
#14  September 17, 2013, 06:37:08 pm
    • USA
Okay, quick update. I fixed the issue with Samus being stuck in the lie down position. It was a simple mistake. Apparently I had her "Lie Down" animation set to -1. I have no idea why I did that, that was just plain stupid. Looking back, I did that when I was still early into this. Thankfully I'm getting a better understanding as to how some things like that work. Now I can finally work on the rest of her without having to worry about that! lol
#15  September 18, 2013, 04:08:39 am
Great, well done Varia31 :2thumbsup: I for one am really glad that you managed to fix that problem personally :yippi: :) (it was a bit worrying :( )
#16  September 18, 2013, 11:17:08 am
    • USA
Oh, believe me, it was worrying me too. Whenever I would take Samus through a test run in arcade, it was proving to be a crippling problem. I'm so glad it's fixed now. I was thinking it was something wrong with the coding, but it was just the easy to overlook little mistake (it always is!). lol

I have also sped up her melee attacks so that she can somewhat combo, and she just generally moves a bit more like a MvC character in terms of speed. So add that to that problem being fixed, and she has a much better fighting chance now. I've also given her a throw, but it needs fixing up.
#17  September 18, 2013, 07:51:42 pm
Sounds Great Varia31, your doing really well with her :2thumbsup: 8) :)
and I wish you the Best of Luck with finishing the remaining things that
need doing on her as well ;) :)
#18  September 18, 2013, 11:53:55 pm
    • USA
Thank you. Right now I'm having trouble getting her dash attack to work, but I also plan on giving her the Charge Beam to use. After I finish her attacks, I'll try to do at least one Super attack, and then she'll be ready for a beta!

EDIT
Her dash attack works now, and it's pretty awesome! It's a short burst of her Speed Booster to ram enemies with!
Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:25:43 am by Varia31
#19  September 20, 2013, 12:46:46 am
Wow the dash attack sounds Awesome really glad that you managed to get it to work 8)
love the sound of the Charge Beam as well :D good luck with finishing her attacks and with the
super move as well :)  and really looking forward to the Beta  :yippi: :2thumbsup:
#20  September 24, 2013, 01:58:42 pm
    • USA