YesNoOk

'Recursive thought' and other mind farts (Read 1906 times)

Started by moolambo, July 03, 2009, 07:06:17 pm
Share this topic:
'Recursive thought' and other mind farts
#1  July 03, 2009, 07:06:17 pm
  • bd poster :D
    • Italy
    • http://emanuelepepi.tk
For recursvie thougt I mean when you start thinking about something and this something makes you think about the feeling you reacted to it, then this feeling makes you think about that something and the cycle continues.
Does this kind of experience happen to you too?

for the malicious ones: I'm not high right now.
Re: 'Recursive thought' and other mind farts
#2  July 03, 2009, 07:11:31 pm
  • SNK is life
I've had this when in depression, usually on a break up from a long relationship.

Otherwise, it's pretty normal to associate a feeling to a situation and viceversa, it's just how the memory/brain works, since all of those feelings are being stored in the same system :P
Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:22:59 pm by UG [walt]
#3  July 03, 2009, 07:19:22 pm
    • Italy
since all of those feelings are being stored in the same system
well, that's like saying that the brain is the source of all feelings and any state of mind comes from there or have I misread your sentence?
#4  July 03, 2009, 07:23:41 pm
  • SNK is life
That's correct. Unless you're gonna question that, I don't see the point of stating the obvious.
#5  July 03, 2009, 07:43:21 pm
    • Italy
I don't see the point of stating the obvious.
Well yes, anything's obvious for a cold rationalist.
#6  July 03, 2009, 07:50:51 pm
  • SNK is life
I bet you store all your memories of "feelings" on the RIGHT VENTRICLE of your heart, side by side with some cholesterol :)
#7  July 03, 2009, 07:54:04 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
tell that to a neurologist.
#8  July 03, 2009, 07:57:42 pm
    • Italy
I bet you store all your memories of "feelings" on the RIGHT VENTRICLE of your heart, side by side with some cholesterol :)
I eat no meat shit to have cholesterol. I ask myself in which side of the brain you put your meat-consumer guilt though.  :)
#9  July 04, 2009, 01:16:36 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Recursive thought?? If you manage to do that a thousand times, please tell me whether anything special happens.

well, that's like saying that the brain is the source of all feelings and any state of mind comes from there

I shall never tire of underlining a concise little fact which these superstitious people are loath to admit -- namely, that a thought comes when it wants, not when I want . . .
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Beyond Good and Evil (1886)
ch. I: Prejudices of Philosophers

Spoiler: before and after (click to see content)
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#10  July 04, 2009, 04:56:57 pm
  • "Omae wa mou shindeiru"
    • m0gl13.webs.com/mugen.htm
It happens to me when I'm worried...like when my girlfriend is being late or if my cat would run away.

You might have obsessive compulsive disorder....just sayin
#11  July 04, 2009, 05:51:26 pm
    • Italy
Recursive thought?? If you manage to do that a thousand times, please tell me whether anything special happens.
I'd probably enslave humanity into my nightmare or make clones of myself! Then I'd probably try to kill God. "AM I GOOD ENOUGH NOW, MY LORD?" :laugh:

j/k
the book you quoted looks interesting, especially this sentence
How could he know these things without knowing them?
Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:10:04 pm by mokujin
#12  July 04, 2009, 06:29:22 pm
his brain will go through all kinds of chain reactions, nuclear decompositions, and states of matter at once
then he becomes the human n/0 bomb
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#13  July 04, 2009, 11:34:14 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
I thought that's how the brain works.  And why I believe the future is already told, just unlived.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#14  July 05, 2009, 01:12:56 am
I thought that's how the brain works
that's what I meant at some point
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#15  July 05, 2009, 03:26:36 am
    • Argentina
    • http://furiadivina.mygamesonline.org
I thought that's how the brain works.  And why I believe the future is already told, just unlived.
for some reason reminds me of that book i (past tense of read) some years ago, written by an aviation engineer trying to prove that time flows backwards also, or more precisely, while in dreams you could "remember" the (yours, of course) future . . .
it also dealt with 'train of thoughts' stuff and, well 'Recursive thought'; gotta search it

BTW the book was all technical and rather boring, or maybe it as just my young mind
#16  July 05, 2009, 03:31:19 am
i would love to read that book
#17  July 05, 2009, 03:39:10 am
  • This... Dark... Berserker rage... !
For recursvie thougt I mean when you start thinking about something and this something makes you think about the feeling you reacted to it, then this feeling makes you think about that something and the cycle continues.
Does this kind of experience happen to you too?

This my dear friend is called a reverie. It is the condition of being lost in thought. You get involved and somehow "overwhelmed" by the idea/thought until it keeps you "spinning" in this spiral with no apparent escape/exit/explanation. Hence, the "recursive" feeling.

For it to happen you have to be in a "trance-like" state of mind usually achieved through a mind-booster/enhancer (Marihuana, Absinthe, organic/synthetic psychedelic substances, etc.). Let's take the first booster for this example.

As some of you may know, the thricomes' appearence is what determines the plants' "magic factor's" ripeness. the more crystalline these are, the closer to that "pick me up/euphoric let's go" effect you'll get. The more cloudy they become, the closer to that "trance/out of this world" experience you'll have. So, you absorb the blurry thricomes of the sacred plant thru sweet smoke and you think of how your day started. This would be more than enough to start the threaded chaos.

WHEN is it the time for you to go back to this ""reality/plane of consciousness" is entirely up to you... or not. It all depends on how good you control your mind and thus, yourself. I've seen some people come back and as soon as people stop talking to them and they lose focus the go back in. Sometimes is subconsciously. Sometimes it's just the drug what don't let them close the portal.

This state of mind is also achieved through meditation. Although most people use a mind-booster in conjunction with meditation that's not necessarily the only way. An extreme sobriety streak will do. You just need to focus on how your day started or any other idea and ... there you go. It's always better if you do it in a space where no visual/sound will interfere with your concentration. I strongly recomend NOT TO try to put your mind in blank, a DÆMON could (WILL) take it over.

But yeah, that happens to me all the time, sometimes it helps, and sometimes it just makes things worse. THIS IS NOT the same as "day-dreaming". Just try to make good use of this hidden feature in your brain in order to take full advantage of your mind.

Hope you grow stronger and for better.

Spoiler: for the malicious ones: (click to see content)
Spoiler: LOADING SNIFFING GENERAL. . . PLEASE BE PATIENT. . . (click to see content)
#18  July 05, 2009, 05:36:43 am
    • Argentina
#19  July 05, 2009, 12:02:53 pm
ahah i have experience mind blank before ,(i licked a dripping candle wax) (taste awful)
#20  July 05, 2009, 12:46:16 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
you are not an anime character Tsu, dont pretend to be, it makes others not take you seriously at all!
#21  July 05, 2009, 02:36:46 pm
#22  July 05, 2009, 03:14:27 pm
eh but it's real i was staring at it then my mind gone blank for a sec next thing i knew i was licking wax on my finger.
(i think i posted this story before)
#23  July 05, 2009, 03:16:37 pm
  • *something witty yeah*
Some random person on some random site... I forget which said:
It is normal for my train of thought to constantly spiral out of control and wander amongst a wide range of memories and things without me realizing it until I get to something that is close to what I was originally thinking of (then the cycle starts over)?
I get this ALOT --;

Spoiler: Regarding Heretics (click to see content)
Spoiler: Waxing (click to see content)

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
[/center]
#24  July 06, 2009, 05:58:07 am
  • it'll take more than minimum wage to break me...
    • Canada
    • knoc_on_wood@yahoo.com
hearing my own thoughts make me skyzophrenic...thats what the doctors wanted to make me think...

get super into fighting games... for glorious fun...
#25  July 06, 2009, 06:39:42 am
    • Argentina
dude you ALWAYS hear your own thoughts . . . unless you don't think at all

BTW, am i the only one that "thinks" and hear his thought before he actually hear his thought in his mind?
#26  July 06, 2009, 06:56:06 am
actually "not thinking" is nearly impossible .
However it is a great practice for your brain that will give you it's benefits. Once in a while you should try to stop inner voice for at least a second  to let your consciousness settle down .

P.S
Being an idiot does not mean you don't think-you just have poor thoughts...-thought i should mention that before someone will point that out
#27  July 06, 2009, 01:16:43 pm
    • Italy
For it to happen you have to be in a "trance-like" state of mind usually achieved through a mind-booster/enhancer (Marihuana, Absinthe, organic/synthetic psychedelic substances, etc.). Let's take the first booster for this example.
When I'm high or something I usually have no recognizable or rememberable thoughts (there I prefer to listen to music). I sometimes listen to the sound of the world (the environment surrounding me)  ; in this last case I experience what a girl once named 'e-stasi' because the thought looks really really slow, trapped in the adoration of the moving world around me. I must say that people are scared of this, or to say it better they're scared of the expression on my face: once I was out in a shop and people looked very very scared about what I was doing (I was like  absent), some of them looked even angry for that, I saw blame in their eyes.
and I smoked just a joint that day.

Anyway meditation is cool. You can realize something you will not remember, something you won't recognize rationally but the other people will recognize it. And that's when the start fun: they all look scared and shit, it makes you feel a bit powerful.

Well, the collateral side is loneliness:
Billy Corgan said:
Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness
And cleanliness is godliness, and god is empty just like me

but anyway I couldn't really call it 'meditation' without adding the word 'artificial'... since it's a substance that determines it. But it's awesome anyway, because you realize the weakness of human mind, the power of thoughts which come out against your will, the fact they're driving your whole existence.

ahah i have experience mind blank before ,(i licked a dripping candle wax) (taste awful)
that's weird  ;D

j/k I licked worse things and still want more :laugh:
Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:28:18 pm by mokujin
#28  July 06, 2009, 06:28:27 pm
  • it'll take more than minimum wage to break me...
    • Canada
    • knoc_on_wood@yahoo.com
dude you ALWAYS hear your own thoughts . . . unless you don't think at all

BTW, am i the only one that "thinks" and hear his thought before he actually hear his thought in his mind?

thats what i told that fat cow...danm it...imma go 2pac on her ass next time...and trust me...there wont be a next time...

get super into fighting games... for glorious fun...
#29  July 07, 2009, 01:15:20 am
  • This... Dark... Berserker rage... !
Mulambo,

For what I read I can see you're letting the drug control you and thus, playing tricks on you (don't worry, it is damn fun, too  =P )
Just be aware of it, ALWAYS remeber it.

It's supposed to be the other way around. You should control the drug and play tricks on yourself UPON it.

in this last case I experience what a girl once named 'e-stasi' because the thought looks really really slow, trapped in the adoration of the moving world around me.

That's an " X O " pill, or ecstacy. Yes, everything moves slower ( the truth is YOU're going faster). But you mean it as a term right?

Aahh! ZERO, my favorite tune ever from the smashkins.

"You blame yourself, for what you can't ignore
You blame yourself for wanting more"

TANA NAN TANAN (GUITAR FEEDBACK) TA NANAN TANAN    =P
Spoiler: LOADING SNIFFING GENERAL. . . PLEASE BE PATIENT. . . (click to see content)
#30  July 07, 2009, 01:47:36 am
    • Italy
yes, pedro :blank:

That's an " X O " pill, or ecstacy. Yes, everything moves slower ( the truth is YOU're going faster). But you mean it as a term right?
never tasted chimical shit.

Aahh! ZERO, my favorite tune ever from the smashkins.
No, I'm not going to correct this sentence.

For what I read I can see you're letting the drug control you and thus, playing tricks on you (don't worry, it is damn fun, too  =P )
Just be aware of it, ALWAYS remeber it.
In the moment I'm rolling one I AM aware that thc will play tricks on me, so it is like I AM playing tricks on me, got it?

(GUITAR FEEDBACK)
you mean DU-DA-RUUUU   ?   =P
Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:52:41 am by mokujin
#31  July 07, 2009, 04:32:22 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
no, but I can fantasize things, like imagining cute puppy or something really cute, and imagining how sad it would be if the owner died on the way home, and the puppy wait for him at home... can bring tears into my eyes, while on reality I never cry.
but the subject has to be a cute fluffy animal, human subject even the cutest baby I can pictured in my mind wouldn't ever reach my empathy, weird
#32  July 07, 2009, 04:43:42 pm
no, but I can fantasize things, like imagining cute puppy or something really cute, and imagining how sad it would be if the owner died on the way home, and the puppy wait for him at home... can bring tears into my eyes, while on reality I never cry.
but the subject has to be a cute fluffy animal, human subject even the cutest baby I can pictured in my mind wouldn't ever reach my empathy, weird
aww thats cute
but seriously man your weird
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty