YesNoOk

- The value of friendship - (Read 4385 times)

Started by ShinRyoga, March 17, 2008, 09:21:57 am
Share this topic:
- The value of friendship -
#1  March 17, 2008, 09:21:57 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
  • MtF Transgender
    • USA

Wow...I'm at a loss on how to even start this. I have been avoiding the board the last few months, because I just honestly didn’t know what to say. I’ve been going through a lot of emotions over a few things…but I think it’s time I post again. This will most likely be a giant, rambled mess...so please forgive me.

I guess I'll start off by saying how much you all have meant to me over the past few years. Almost 10 years ago, I got a serious back injury. I still played a lot of videogames before I got hurt, but I was also very athletic and active. I was either playing games, drawing, or always running around playing volleyball or dodgeball and the like. Anyway, when I hurt my back...my whole life changed. I couldn't even stand for more than a few seconds without excruciating pain, let alone run or play. This lasted for nearly a year (and I still to this day have very bad pain sometimes.) I even had to drop out of college. I felt like my life was over, and became very depressed during this time. However...

My friend Jason (Neo Ankh) and I came across this community for something new and exciting. Something called "M.U.G.E.N." I couldn't believe it...I'd always loved 2D fighting (especially Street Fighter), and was a huge fan of 2D sprite animation. I'd always been a fan of animation, and dreamed of being an animator, but never had a medium to really try it in. This program by Elecbyte was my dream come true! Finally I could animate for videogames...and in a 2D fighter no less! Jason had messed around with it a little with his own animation and programming, and actually made a pretty cool Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory. It was obvious that M.U.G.E.N had so much potential! Obvious to anyone that knows me, I'm a huge Nintendo fan. Jason and I decided we'd try to make a tough Super Mario to compete with all the big threats in the community character roster. It took 11 months, but we finished him and released to the public our (Nintendo brand) creation.

All this time I had been depressed and full of self doubt. I halfway expected our Mario to be met with remarks on how poor the animation looked and sarcasm. I couldn't have been more wrong. Everyone was so incredibly supportive and nice! Wait, what? Kindness and support On the internet? I hadn't seen this very often! I actually felt like I was important, and had brought some fun to people. It felt great, and was just what I needed to get out of my depression. Sure, I still had a lot of pain...but it didn't matter as much. It was no longer my whole life. I could still LIVE.

So here we are, so many years later. I just can't thank you enough for everything that the Mugen community has done for me in my life. You’re truly awesome people, and I love each and every one of you. You gave me confidence that I did not have before. Confidence that helped me get over my problems and do new things in my life, as well as meet new people....such as my best friend and wife Elizabeth. I now devote more time to my art than I have in a long time. I'm beginning a new comic book with my friend Ryan, and Elizabeth and I are hoping to start a family and create childrens books together. My life has really changed for the better. I thank God for the life he has given me and for all of you.

Also, I would like to finally express my deep sadness with the loss of our friend and fellow Mugen creator, Reuben Kee. He was an inspiration to Jason and I, and one of the most talented people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. A few months ago, I had decided to come out of "retirement" and help out on a Mugen creation of Samus Aran with Reu. Just after the beginnings of the project had started to take shape, three months had gone by without hearing anything back from Reu. When I heard that he had had a fatal accident, I was in shock. People where I work had just been in a Dragon Boat race themselves. I just couldn’t believe he was gone…I had just begun to know him better. He was such a nice guy…so talented and just cool to talk with. So many people's lives were touched by Reu. My deepest condolences go out to Reuben's family and friends. I can't imagine how proud you were of him, and much you must miss him. We will be praying for you.

Reu...rest in peace, brother. I will never forget you.

Re: - The value of friendship -
#2  March 17, 2008, 12:30:31 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
I'm gonna shoot the first person who tl;dr's this.
It would seem that you left at a pretty opportune moment, before the community was consumed by drama.
#3  March 17, 2008, 02:00:47 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Well... nothing much to say here... this is a very nice paragraph you wrote here, and I'm very happy the Mugen Community could give you something so important.
#4  March 17, 2008, 02:33:56 pm
with all what I've seen lately, to write something like this...I have hope people like you still exist
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#5  March 17, 2008, 06:16:00 pm
  • corner push pusher
I just can't thank you enough for everything that the Mugen community has done for me in my life. You’re truly awesome people, and I love each and every one of you. You gave me confidence that I did not have before. Confidence that helped me get over my problems and do new things in my life, as well as meet new people....such as my best friend and wife Elizabeth. I now devote more time to my art than I have in a long time. I'm beginning a new comic book with my friend Ryan, and Elizabeth and I are hoping to start a family and create childrens books together. My life has really changed for the better. I thank God for the life he has given me and for all of you.

Wow...reading your post makes me feel more fortunate to know that there are some genuinely respectable people here (considering the melodrama the guild has had in recent days, your feelings couldn't have been posted at a better time). Unfortunate events that happened to you in the past took a quick turn in a better direction; I wish the best for you, your friend and you wife  :)

#6  March 17, 2008, 06:50:47 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
The guy who genuinely had fun creating for Mugen without getting pulled into dramas and whatnot, a dying breed (extinct?).
That was a pleasant read, dunno what else to say.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#7  March 17, 2008, 06:58:11 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Enough was said, really.
Respect.
#8  March 17, 2008, 07:13:44 pm
  • PSN: Cloudius12
    • www.twitter.com/Cloudius12
That was a very nice read. All i can say is good luck with that comic and good luck to life.

DMK

#9  March 17, 2008, 08:14:28 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
Great read by a true legend of this community, and the best thing I've seen on this site that was really inspireing in many ways. Good luck with the Childrens books, comics and I do hope to see more MUGEN releated stuff someday if you ever get into the feel of it again.

Thanks ShinRyoga.
#10  March 17, 2008, 09:56:46 pm
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
Wow...reading your post makes me feel more fortunate to know that there are some genuinely respectable people here (considering the melodrama the guild has had in recent days...)

ShinRyoga, as Reu was one of your influences, you was one of mine. You characters were, in a lack of wanting to sound formal, Kickass. Yes, as well, Reu was one of my influences, as well, and it shocked me to know that he was gone, and while I was underwater, as well. I, too, in this thread, pay my respects for him, and to hope for his family's strength. My condolences.

It was kinda hard for me, as well in the past. I did many bad things to myself and others. My main goal was to get out of my city, my stupid neighborhood that doesn't know how good they have it, despite the near poverty, one way or another. middle school, I try to find people I can relate to, but I can't. people only wanted my intellegence for a day, so they can pass a test. I've never been considered a peer to others. I felt alone.

One of the few friends I had showed me a DBZ game, which I played... and lost... countless times. He taught me about mugen, but I found this place out. This was my first forum. I didn't even know what they are, before I clicked on the link other than the database. I joined, but really didn't do anything until later on in the month that I did joined, where I popped up and showcased my first character. I thought, "Eh, I'm probably not going to get any more posts." But to my surprise, There was praise and help, which was a first. Usually, If I didn't know it, I'll get no help. This forum made me glad through the years. I was glad to know that people liked the characters I make, and stages I create.

Seeing is then wasn't now, I matured through this site, though I had my playful times, shaza. Of course, there were some things outside the net that had me quickly mature, like my big brother's death, a friend of mine's death, my grandparents death, and how they and my father were the only ones on his side of the family who ever loved me, the list goes on, and on, and on.

being here in the past few months kinda made me sad, seeing the drama people did, including me. It sometimes make me think about myself, for I still believe the internet is not all drama, but this is where I go to prove it, and this is what I get. I guess that's why I made the Hall, so I can sense this again. Here, I'm nobody. Nobody in the course of about 2 years knows my M.U.G.E.N. tagname, and if they played a character I made, it'll be deleted or forgotten, I know.

Anyway... ShinRyoga, I'm glad to see this post in The Mugen Fighters Guild. I'm glad it helped you, as it did me in the past. I thank you for encouraging me to be a part of this community, though you do not know it, and I thank you for being yourself.

God bless you.

tl;dr, probably, but only because I'm me.
Accusare nemo se debet nisi coram Veridis
DYNOMITE

OZ

#11  March 17, 2008, 10:33:17 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
The beauty of Mugen and the guild is that it serves as a pleasant diversion and gives one the chance to get support from people of similar intrests. (This has become a little iffy in recent days, but I still believe it enough to stay.)

I've really needed the diversion, especially when my father died.
It helped just to have something to work on.
Being a long time fan of 2D fighters made me an instant fan.

I never knew Reu personally(you know what I mean), but he was(and still is) one of my favorite creators.

It's good to know that there are still people who truly care for the community, and the people in it.

It's nice to meet you ShinRyoga.
ಠ_ಠ
#12  March 18, 2008, 12:14:49 am
  • corner push pusher
Wow...reading your post makes me feel more fortunate to know that there are some genuinely respectable people here (considering the melodrama the guild has had in recent days...)

ShinRyoga, as Reu was one of your influences, you was one of mine. You characters were, in a lack of wanting to sound formal, Kickass. Yes, as well, Reu was one of my influences, as well, and it shocked me to know that he was gone, and while I was underwater, as well. I, too, in this thread, pay my respects for him, and to hope for his family's strength. My condolences.

It was kinda hard for me, as well in the past. I did many bad things to myself and others. My main goal was to get out of my city, my stupid neighborhood that doesn't know how good they have it, despite the near poverty, one way or another. middle school, I try to find people I can relate to, but I can't. people only wanted my intellegence for a day, so they can pass a test. I've never been considered a peer to others. I felt alone.

One of the few friends I had showed me a DBZ game, which I played... and lost... countless times. He taught me about mugen, but I found this place out. This was my first forum. I didn't even know what they are, before I clicked on the link other than the database. I joined, but really didn't do anything until later on in the month that I did joined, where I popped up and showcased my first character. I thought, "Eh, I'm probably not going to get any more posts." But to my surprise, There was praise and help, which was a first. Usually, If I didn't know it, I'll get no help. This forum made me glad through the years. I was glad to know that people liked the characters I make, and stages I create.

Seeing is then wasn't now, I matured through this site, though I had my playful times, shaza. Of course, there were some things outside the net that had me quickly mature, like my big brother's death, a friend of mine's death, my grandparents death, and how they and my father were the only ones on his side of the family who ever loved me, the list goes on, and on, and on.

being here in the past few months kinda made me sad, seeing the drama people did, including me. It sometimes make me think about myself, for I still believe the internet is not all drama, but this is where I go to prove it, and this is what I get. I guess that's why I made the Hall, so I can sense this again. Here, I'm nobody. Nobody in the course of about 2 years knows my M.U.G.E.N. tagname, and if they played a character I made, it'll be deleted or forgotten, I know.

Anyway... ShinRyoga, I'm glad to see this post in The Mugen Fighters Guild. I'm glad it helped you, as it did me in the past. I thank you for encouraging me to be a part of this community, though you do not know it, and I thank you for being yourself.

God bless you.

tl;dr, probably, but only because I'm me.

Something tells me you befriended Speed because you kinda saw your former self in him........ :-X or not
#13  March 18, 2008, 12:47:53 am
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
it wasn't a secret. I said countless times that he reminded me of me.
DYNOMITE
#14  March 18, 2008, 12:57:55 am
  • corner push pusher
#15  March 18, 2008, 01:05:08 am
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
No spiel of how he was just like me, and if I can change, he can change on the irc channel?

If no, then, I understand, I'm barely there when you are.

as far as me helping him, so much for the value of friendship...
DYNOMITE
#16  March 18, 2008, 02:26:40 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Hey, if you ever need any help with your comic be sure to let me know.
Or drop by www.drunkduck.com

You should definitely upload it there! I'll help advertise you and assist you however I can! You're an awesome artist. You were one of my biggest inspirations as well.

Great post! Always a pleasure reading what you have to say!
#17  March 19, 2008, 10:47:02 pm
Creation on mugen should be for fun, when for most if not nearly all people feed the drama about silly propierty rights and the similar. True intelligent creators don´t waste a seconde on that egotic issues: they will be remembered for what they have done more than enough. Everyone wants to be famous like Reu, etc, as ShinRyoga said "to feel important amongst something". That´s why people admire him in the first place, i think, he was important in that mugen world.

For me, Reu´s Chars are well done, but they are NOT the best ones out there.  They never were for me, after and BEFORE. Awesome 4 years ago, nothing special now.

If the inmense majority feed the drama, it can be only because they want to be on the top of some kind of piramid, rather than in any kind of humble position of "giving without expecting somethin in return"; everytime i see some "creator" threats with ceasing creating by breaking any of their "common mugen sense rules", i sense darkness inside myself, for god´s sake. And that´s one very simple reason to be hostile towards that dogmatic community that censors true freedom of creation; when in reality they DONT know that geniuses are rare, not the common thing. The common thing musn´t be socially censored. That´s cruel. You all must accept the common thing is shit in comparison, that shit is everyday´s meal. But in the end that shit is as important as the genious created shit as well. They all create a wholeness to be considered.
Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:06:23 am by Ohsky
#18  March 20, 2008, 12:35:46 am
  • 144p in a 1080p world!
    • Portugal
    • Skype - lc-ddm
    • forums.kc-mm.com
...I keep coming into this topic and read your text just to have a smile on my face.

Welcome back.

#19  March 20, 2008, 04:14:32 am
...I keep coming into this topic and read your text just to have a smile on my face.

Welcome back.

Mugen communities don´t have any "i love u threads", that must be the first reason. I have to admit there are many other forums not mugen related wich it does have them.
#20  March 20, 2008, 05:24:20 am
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
It would seem that you left at a pretty opportune moment, before the community was consumed by drama.

Fortunate indeed.

The guy who genuinely had fun creating for Mugen without getting pulled into dramas and whatnot, a dying breed (extinct?).
That was a pleasant read, dunno what else to say.

How do you pull something like that off?
And I agree it was a very pleasant read and very surprisingly honest and open.
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S