YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734100 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#341  June 26, 2018, 06:42:56 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Dude, don't care about the actual stats.  It's a party game masquerading as a fighting game, with enough going for it that it can pass as one when some rules are set down.  Pick a character you like.  I do doubt you do not like a single character in Nintendo's vast, broad history.  And I get being miffed at some design aspects, we were talking before about Zelda being swapped to A Link Between Worlds/A Link To The Past, and how somehow Nintendo still doesn't want to move on from Other M to represent Metroid, but they're still the characters you enjoy there.

If I cared about stats or ranking or that nonsense, I wouldn't be revisiting Smash Wii U currently trying to figure out how Duck Hunt even works so I can play him in Ultimate.

Also "they know what they're doing"? Uh, Cloud, Bayonetta, Pac-Man, and Falco.
Elaborate what you're even talking about, or you're just talking gibberish.
Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:47:20 am by Long John Killer
#342  June 26, 2018, 06:49:43 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I mean, I like Mario. But he doesn't Cap Throw as an attack, he doesn't Ground Pound, he generally doesn't jump like he does in the games... So it's pretty much not Mario. And he's the only Nintendo series I still enjoy to this day, I've moved onto Mugen characters otherwise.

Also, Cloud and Bayonetta = Extremely broken.

Pac-Man = So glitchy it feels like he's a character from Smash Flash 1.

Falco = Bottom tier and underpowered.
#343  June 26, 2018, 06:53:25 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Have you not seen the Cloud and Bayo nerfs in 5?  (Granted Bayo looks like she might still be a problem atm, but seems like the team's working on it.)

What do you mean by Pac Man being glitchy?  The only thing that could possibly be considered a "glitch" at this point is his worthless grab, which has gotten buffs in 5.  Any actual glitch got fixed through patches.

The other changes we've seen in Smash 5 so far seems promising in regards to character buffs. 

If I cared about stats or ranking or that nonsense, I wouldn't be revisiting Smash Wii U currently trying to figure out how Duck Hunt even works so I can play him in Ultimate.

It's fine to play competitively while still running a character you enjoy, even if they're not that good.  Choosing a top tier character is dandy and all, but unless one's striving to compete on ZeRo's level, they might not enjoy the game as much compared to if they'd play a character they truely enjoy.
Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:00:43 am by vgma2
#344  June 26, 2018, 06:59:56 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Nah. Didn't look at their reveals at all. Pac was just poorly made in general in 4, especially going by what modders have said looking at his data...
#345  June 26, 2018, 07:01:59 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Any specific examples for Pac Man?
The only thing that I can think of that's outright awfully made is his grab.
#346  June 26, 2018, 07:14:06 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
They had said his frame data, specifically his aerials, and hitboxes, like his side-special... His Final Smash was terrible in 4. His smash attacks were weak and slow, that old up-tilt was awful, thankfully they... Made it an uppercut by the looks of things.
#347  June 26, 2018, 07:18:09 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I wouldn't take him seriously. He has a history of not making any sense.
#348  June 26, 2018, 07:23:05 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I reiterate.
Dude, don't care about the actual stats.  It's a party game masquerading as a fighting game, with enough going for it that it can pass as one when some rules are set down.  Pick a character you like.
Seriously, if the worst you can place on Mario is that his jump is not frame-for-frame perfect to Super Mario games and that he doesn't carry over possession-based abilities from Odyssey, which would clearly be broken, you're looking at the game wrong.  He looks like Mario, he acts like Mario, it's Mario.  You even got a Doctor variant for previous Smash players.
#349  June 26, 2018, 07:38:04 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
My main issue with Mario in Smash is FLUDD and Mario Finale. The rest was just nitpicking, even by my standards. Yes, I can just turn off Smash Balls and not press Down-B, but that doesn't mean they're not there.
#350  June 26, 2018, 11:00:00 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
But what is your issue with those moves? FLUDD may have only appeared as an integral character in one game, but it at least gives him something unique over Luigi and Dr. Mario's lariats, plus it has its use as a pretty good edgeguarding tool (though maybe less so in Ultimate with the (re)introduction of directional air dodges). If your issue with Mario Finale is that Mario has never used such in his games, the same can be said for a fair few Final Smashes.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#351  June 26, 2018, 12:41:51 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Pac was just poorly made in general in 4, especially going by what modders have said looking at his data...

So this isn't an opinion you arrived at yourself, you're just parroting what you heard other people say about frame data and are passing it off as if you know what you're talking about?  Gotcha.
#352  June 26, 2018, 09:51:49 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Technically, I figured it out by how lacking in aerial tools or power he is. Some consider it an intentional weakness, but he doesn't even have a "true" spike or anything that sends the opponent downwards aside from one custom and one part of that silly trampoline.

I never liked FLUDD because Brawl was my first Smash game. And there, FLUDD was completely worthless. You could clash with the water, effectively ruining it's only intended purpose. I never got used to it in 4, it always felt too whack and "dirty". My main issue with Mario Finale is, again, it was worthless in Brawl. It's much easier to get used to unlike FLUDD though.
#353  June 26, 2018, 10:24:03 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Sounds like all your complaints about this game are based on a completely different game from ten years ago.
#354  June 26, 2018, 10:31:07 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Eh, good point. Now that I know what Pac-Man does, I have nothing to lose from trying this out on it's own merits, I suppose.
#355  June 26, 2018, 11:21:05 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I have no trouble with the large number of characters in a fighting game. Sure I have favorites but it really doesn't hurt to give every available fighter a try and that's what I like to do in Smash, thanks to the Random option. It allowed me to experience how the character fights and how to unleash their potential in the best of my ability as possible.

@MR. IBZS II 
Now I don't understand the issue you have with some fighters just because they don't have stuff brought over from their games. So what if Mario can't damage enemies by simply jumping on them or throwing Cappy to control someone (which will be super broken by Smash standards). It's pretty cool to see that Mario and Luigi can actually fire a fireball WITHOUT the help of a Fire Flower. As for Mario Finale, it's quite unique to Mario cuz you don't see him doing the cool moves he does in Smash in the other games, do you?

I don't know about Cloud but I think Bayo won't be able to be as broken in Ultimate as she was in 4 cuz I read what possible nerfs were done on her regarding her combo tactics. Also noticed Fox might've been nerfed as well since his Dtilt and Ground Fox Illusion have more end lag, leaving him more open if he misses or gets blocked. Fox's my main in 4 and he'll be my main in Ultimate until I unlock Wolf.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#356  June 26, 2018, 11:57:01 pm
    • USA
Bayo's definitely getting nerfed.  During the invitational one of the players literally carried the opponent to the blast zone at the top of the screen with a single combo and Sakurai shook his head and just said "this isn't the final build."
#357  June 27, 2018, 02:22:07 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Top players who got to play Ultimate at E3 have gone as far as saying Cloud is now bad, if that means anything.

#358  June 27, 2018, 03:11:47 am
    • USA
New music track, Noisy Notebook from Snipperclips:

#359  June 27, 2018, 09:40:13 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Ayy. I've never played it, but it's nice to see it get some representation in Smash.

#360  June 27, 2018, 11:54:38 pm
    • USA
There's also some new screenshots of the Sukapon assist trophy

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty