YesNoOk

Question about HDBZ's hitbox design (Read 11754 times)

Started by extravagant, January 29, 2021, 02:40:57 am
Share this topic:
Question about HDBZ's hitbox design
#1  January 29, 2021, 02:40:57 am
    • USA
Hi, I'm not really a Z2 player but I have fought opponents online using something else. First I'd like to compliment the hard work and lore put into these characters. They're very well fleshed out and lots of story juice packed into it. The intros, win poses, and stuff are very creative. Facebook posts in the cars? Simply genius. It's awesome.

Secondly, I'd like to move onto the hitboxes. The hitboxes are mostly pretty good, and at this point I've studied thousands of different hitboxes, I can very well say that HDBZ's hitbox sort of resembles something like Street Fighter in some instances. They're pretty well made too, and I've only noticed a few small flaws.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

edit: My bad. I just double checked and there ARE normals with an extra frame/AnimElem that has punishable properties. You know, when the Blue CLSN2 is still residual for 1-2 frames after the previous frame with the red hitbox. Yes, HDBZ does have it. But another thing I noticed is the hitboxes could use some improvements, in some situations it's still almost impossible to whiff punish. It's the positioning/design of some of the hitboxes.

So my only question is, was the hitbox design of HDBZ intended to be this way? If it was then just ignore everything I said.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 02:54:12 am by extravagant
Re: Question about HDBZ's hitbox design
#2  January 29, 2021, 02:13:44 pm
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany
I can very well say that HDBZ's hitbox sort of resembles something like Street Fighter in some instances. They're pretty well made too, and I've only noticed a few small flaws.

What an odd thing to say:

I mean its only natural to have different hitbox design philosophies in different games.

Also, isn't this post a byproduct if you whiffing normals when trying to punish Z2 characters online with CvS2 characters?
#3  January 29, 2021, 05:07:13 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
i don't know why you're asking this like mugen is a closed environment full game. you're fighting characters designed for a full game with characters with completely different gameplay systems. this is kind of a silly question.
#4  January 29, 2021, 07:58:16 pm
    • USA
I just got a chance to download version Indigo this morning and after comparing, it seems like there was some reworking on the hitboxes. Prior, I was looking at Champ and an older Z2 version.

There are some hitboxes in Indigo where I could still see improvement, like some of the basics and air attacks, but so far they look better in Indigo than previous versions. (Even Champ)
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place