Re: Scorpion By Gabe687
#2  June 28, 2011, 08:04:10 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Screenshot?
#3  June 28, 2011, 12:26:01 pm
Or you could just click the video link since he LOOKS like UMK3 Scorpion. Plays like a champion, entirely new moves and a few from later games that make the character a gem. Look out for future releases from Gabe, guy also made a Shang Tsung and there is talk of a Mugen project of his own. He's known as BLEED on various MK sites. Great dude, even better artist.
#4  June 28, 2011, 04:12:16 pm
  • Loading....Loading.....Error
Riiiight. Will check.

I made this sig. :ninja:

Props to a friend for my avvie
#5  June 28, 2011, 04:30:03 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
all i can say from the video is holy fuck, the spear does massive fucking damage
#6  June 28, 2011, 04:57:36 pm
Some Feedback.

Damage is weird all over. Not exactly what I call MK accurate.
Ok... Fatalities don't work so far.
Comboing is stiff overall, even for a custom style, but it jsut looks stiff.
His standing hitbox is as thin as a toothpick.
Also, LOL infinite priorities on every attack.
When Scorpion retracts his spear, it hits the opponent, but doesn't spear the opponent though, just hits him.
Oh by the way, the spear is spammable if it misses. So if it misses and finishes the whole animation that cans till hurt you, he can launch it again without penalty.
Oh by the way, he has loads of invincibility frames in start-ups of his moves.

Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:04:35 pm by ecthelionv2
#7  June 28, 2011, 05:01:58 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
In the video I see him instantly recovering and using an attack after being launched to the air. Can somebody explain what happened there?
#8  June 28, 2011, 05:05:53 pm
In the video I see him instantly recovering and using an attack after being launched to the air. Can somebody explain what happened there?

Oh, it does happen. He has no cooldown at all. And has the recovering abilities of the gods.

Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:09:11 pm by ecthelionv2
#9  June 29, 2011, 03:07:08 am
  • Rawr!
Some Feedback.

Damage is weird all over. Not exactly what I call MK accurate.
Ok... Fatalities don't work so far.
Comboing is stiff overall, even for a custom style, but it jsut looks stiff.
His standing hitbox is as thin as a toothpick.
Also, LOL infinite priorities on every attack.
When Scorpion retracts his spear, it hits the opponent, but doesn't spear the opponent though, just hits him.Oh by the way, the spear is spammable if it misses. So if it misses and finishes the whole animation that cans till hurt you, he can launch it again without penalty.
Oh by the way, he has loads of invincibility frames in start-ups of his moves.

lol i lol'd so hard at that.. ur feedback is horrid no offence...1.. thats apart of the move.. wen have u ever seen a proper scorpion retract the spear in the first place lol.. hahahaha don't say nothing about mk accurate wen u haven't really got a clue on how scorpion plays... yes there is some minor bugs to this char.. but damn dude.. lol ppl already said it has NEW moves.. and bleed is already aware of all the minor bugs.. all the bugs will be fixed on the release of his project type scorpion lol whoever found this found a very OLD version.
#10  June 29, 2011, 06:10:48 am
lol i lol'd so hard at that.. ur feedback is horrid no offence...1.. thats apart of the move.. wen have u ever seen a proper scorpion retract the spear in the first place lol.. hahahaha don't say nothing about mk accurate wen u haven't really got a clue on how scorpion plays... yes there is some minor bugs to this char.. but damn dude.. lol ppl already said it has NEW moves.. and bleed is already aware of all the minor bugs.. all the bugs will be fixed on the release of his project type scorpion lol whoever found this found a very OLD version.

I assume this is the newest version made by this said original poster. But hell I do know in every MK I've played, Scorpion's spear disappears if it misses or gets blocked. It doesn't go through and then come back to hit you if you're not blocking.

I wouldn't mind if the character is accurate or not as long as it doesn't play like poo. but then again, he does have an MK3 mode and it doesn't feel right.

#11  June 29, 2011, 07:07:35 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
This Scorpion is not accurate, but I'm positive that accuracy is not Gabe's concern.
Watching his progress all this time I can assure you he pretty much wants to reinvent MK.
So yeah...most stuff is fully custom.
Also it is a work in progress.

Also, etchelionv2 was simply giving feedback, which I'm sure Gabe would appreciate since it hasn't been given in his proper release thread on Elecbyte. I'm sure he's aware of some bugs but not ALL OF THEM like you claim. --;

Also...how can you say that this Scorpion is a "very OLD version" when Gabe himself just posted the exact same link just the other day.
Here's the latest version of Scorpion for Mugen1.0

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pevhbk

8)
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#12  June 29, 2011, 07:35:08 am
    • www.youtube.com/user/gabe687?feature=mhum
I was told there was some fee back on here, so I'm curious to see what's up.

Some things to clear up though, the default mode is totally custom.  I'm not making a copy of any game with that one, just trying to be creative.

The UMK3 mode, I will never get that perfect, what I can do is get a general feel for it.  I know it's way off, but over time with tweaking It can be more accurate.

On what critique I have so far.

Damage is weird because It hasn't been set.  What I have so far is a base setting that every move is using, then it changes with damage scaling.  That was increased earlier today, so overall less damage.  What did 50% before does more like 25 or 30 now.

I'm not sure what you mean about the fatalities not working, I don't have any problems with them.
Toasty =  U,U,HP  At jump distance
Mob = F,F,D,U,Run At jump distance
Stretcher = DF+HP+LP at close distance
Spear Decap = Any spear special that catches the enemy.  This one only works against my Scorpion right now.

Combos look fine to me, maybe you  just aren't used to them?
I'm using a buffer system to get the timing I want to matter when you do the command.  The commands are done by input of the next attack during the previous one, same as 3D fighters.  Only the special 2 in 1's are using the movehit as the trigger.

The hit boxes are thicker now, I made them thin before because that's what they look like in MKT.  It makes some combos miss, so I changed it back yesterday.

Infinite priorities on every attack, is again because that's the way MK has it.  I got some video footage of MKTrilogy with the collision display on, so that's what I was working with when trying to get some stuff like UMK3.  If this is a problem I can add the blue collisions where the Red ones are.

The spear in the custom mode is made to work that way, catch on the way out and hit on the way back.

The spear chains are slow enough so it can be countered easily, what moves are spammable?  I'm countering it consistently, maybe non MK characters have trouble with it?

Invincibility frames on startup of moves I'm not sure what you mean, which ones are you looking at?

The air recovery is normal air recovery like kfm.  He just has a custom state for it that changes the animation and landing.  The move can be toned down.

Thanks for the critique, I'll try to fix some of these issues.  This seems to be the only place I get any real feed back on the problems.

Hopefully I can get an new version uploaded soon, I already fixed a bunch of bugs on it since the last post on youtube, but I'll have a look at the things mentioned here before posting a new link.

As for the bugs... this is a real pain, I fix all the bugs as I run in to them but new ones show up no matter what.  I just have to keep fixing them as they become known.
#13  June 29, 2011, 08:15:55 am
  • I like bread
    • USA
GAWD DAYUM @ the snd file!
I'm still gonna test this out though.
#14  June 29, 2011, 09:02:01 am
Is there a quick way to compress it?
#15  June 29, 2011, 09:26:31 am
  • I can take'em out with my fists
yeah been waiting for this
#16  June 29, 2011, 12:50:53 pm

I'm not sure what you mean about the fatalities not working, I don't have any problems with them.
Toasty =  U,U,HP  At jump distance
Mob = F,F,D,U,Run At jump distance
Stretcher = DF+HP+LP at close distance
Spear Decap = Any spear special that catches the enemy.  This one only works against my Scorpion right now.

I was wondering why toasty didn't work. The Read-me had a couple of buttons missing.

Infinite priorities on every attack, is again because that's the way MK has it.  I got some video footage of MKTrilogy with the collision display on, so that's what I was working with when trying to get some stuff like UMK3.  If this is a problem I can add the blue collisions where the Red ones are.

Yeah, it needs the blue hitboxes since this isn't MK where everyone there had ridiculous priorities. Here, the Basic hitbox tutorial

The spear in the custom mode is made to work that way, catch on the way out and hit on the way back.

The spear chains are slow enough so it can be countered easily, what moves are spammable?  I'm countering it consistently, maybe non MK characters have trouble with it?

The way i see it, he's got very fast recovery each time he retracts his spear and most of the time I'm not using an MK char, they're still in the block state due to the spear passing through and coming back.

Invincibility frames on startup of moves I'm not sure what you mean, which ones are you looking at?

Most of his special moves. He's hard to hit or unhittable due to whatever you did to the hitboxes at their start-ups.

The air recovery is normal air recovery like kfm.  He just has a custom state for it that changes the animation and landing.  The move can be toned down.

As for the bugs... this is a real pain, I fix all the bugs as I run in to them but new ones show up no matter what.  I just have to keep fixing them as they become known.

Might I suggest more people to ask to Beta test? I know Nanashi and Cybaster could help out. When in doubt ask for help.

#17  June 29, 2011, 02:02:55 pm
  • Kubikiri Basara
  • WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!"
    • Brazil
    • Skype - viniciustda13
    • shinobiwars.blogspot.com/
I liked the Scopion POwww friendly was , Show ! Just think that they should make the sprites of the character even ,with sprites different XD

;D :sugoi:
Spoiler: Kubikiri Basara (click to see content)
#18  June 29, 2011, 05:18:36 pm
Thanks again for the feed back, I think I'll come here more often.

I changed all the hit boxes last night,  they aren't so thin and I added the blue inside the red ones.  Blue box width is generally to cover the pelvis.  I don't want to see too many phantom hits but I'm trying to keep the collisions to a minimum, trying to cover all I can with 2 to 4 of them.

I'll mess with a few things and post a link later today.

The bug with the character becoming unhittable after they fall in statedef 5100 has been fixed.  This one looks like a hard coded problem, but I found a work around.

The character freezing from a low punch if life is set to 1 was fixed.

Gravity was tweaked, in case someone wants to turn on the fast uppercut recovery.   The gravity is stronger now, so you can't do it too many times over.

I linked the X and Y hit velocity settings to a master value based on play style.  With it, the overall juggle bounce for every move can be changed by playing around with the master value.

The damage scaling works from 1 to 100 hits now, instead of  1 to 10.   The effect is not as harsh but the damage overall is about half what it was on same hit combos.

etc......

[edit]

Air recovery changed to be used with default triggers

Wall slam spear damage is toned down

Toasty command fixed in Moves list

Spear has 10 more tics before it starts retracting, plenty of time to counter after blocking at full screen.

Inner flame throw reach decreased F+HP+LP.

I'm going to test it out for a while now and see if I didn't break anything...
#19  June 29, 2011, 08:24:47 pm
#20  June 29, 2011, 08:26:18 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA