YesNoOk

Sidescrolling Template for MUGEN **UPDATED** (Read 25913 times)

Started by Count Monte, May 14, 2010, 10:54:32 pm
Share this topic:
Sidescrolling Template for MUGEN **UPDATED**
New #1  May 14, 2010, 10:54:32 pm
***UPATE 5-19  ADDED FANTASY STAGE AND CHAR***
DOWNLOAD NEW D&D STAGE HERE:  http://www.mediafire.com/?m1jdyzwn35i
DOWNLOAD D&D CREATURES HERE:   http://www.mediafire.com/?gtzzwmmhadz
You must use the stage with the character for it to work (make the fantasy creatures as player 2)
NEW D&D  VIDEO:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uot5CzxXqfg

I wanted to be able to play sidescroller beat 'em up type levels on MUGEN, so I put together a template that will allow anyone to make their own sidescrolling games or levels.  I figured since I'm familiar with MUGEN, I didn't want to learn a whole new engine (BOR) to make sidescrollers.

So I'm using code from both the Mario sidescrolling level by Bane84 and the Mad Gear Gang  helpers char by Sugio and combining it together to create the template.  Also thanks to BonusJZ for the Night Slashers sprites, SeanAltly and numerous other creators for the helper sprites.

It consists of a stage and a character, and you need both for it to work.  The stage can be edited to be as wide as you want.  You simply swap out the backgrounds and add sprites as you would to any normal stage.  There is an invisible trigger at the end of the stage that when you touch it, the level ends and you win.

The character needs to be set as player 2.  It will let you spawn enemies anywhere you want on the stage, and also give each enemy however much health you want.  It comes with about 8-10 different types of helpers, who have different types of attacks.  You can simply swap the sprites to make the enemies whatever you want them to be.  And of course, you can add more moves/animations/attacks to them as you would to any character if you want.

There's also the ability to put a box/chest that if you break it open spawns an item that will restore some of your health if you pick it up.  Again, you can just swap the sprites and make it look like whatever you want.

With this template, you can throw in a sidescrolling level within a MUGEN game, or even make an entire game that is a pure sidescroller.  An updated Final Fight using CVS2 sprites?  A Mortal Kombat sidescroller?  It's up to you.

Here's 3 examples of the types of games you could make on this:

D&D Sidescroller:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RkcmEt-BMc#

Enter the Dragon Sidescroller:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmNTG0NGYPc#

GI JOE sidescroller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d3xU-tI410
Here's the link to DOWNLOAD the CHAR and STAGE:

STAGE LINK:  http://www.mediafire.com/?ofzjikkwmqv

CHARACTER LINK (make sure this is player 2):  http://www.mediafire.com/?thdzdo2enyy

Remember, these are templates.  There's lots of room for improvements.  The bad guys can have as many animations and attacks as you want... just like regular helpers.  You can simply swap the sprites on the stage and characters if you want to make something playable, but the talented creators will hopefully make some really special levels and games.  I'm just getting the ball rolling...

Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:13:34 am by Count Monte
Re: Sidescrolling Template for MUGEN
#2  May 14, 2010, 10:58:29 pm
  • Bionic Arm lol
    • sites.google.com/site/illegiblescience/home
Hmm. I'll have to keep my eye on this. It could come quite in handy for me.
#3  May 15, 2010, 03:24:21 am
  • "Omae wa mou shindeiru"
    • m0gl13.webs.com/mugen.htm
there should be more GI Joe chars.
may be WIP's hmmm
anyways at first i thought "why not just use Beats of Rage"
And than i saw golden opportunity to use any char in mugen there
so good job man.
I also liked that you have health "potions" occasionly appearing
i am awating for more stages.
#4  May 15, 2010, 04:14:40 am
I'm by no means trying to discourage this, but BOR kinda is the better alternative. It's a lot easier to code for than MUGEN, and it's multiplatform, so you can play it on a variety of systems like PSP, Dreamcast, and Wii. Plus it's got 4-player support "out of the box."

But I digress. I agree with the other 2 posters that this is very interesting indeed. I'm sure others will take the idea and build upon it, perhaps one day making a MUGEN-BOR crossbreed. I'll be keeping an eye on this, Count Monte.
#5  May 15, 2010, 04:30:26 am
The one cool thing about this is that it can add some variety to a MUGEN game.  So in a regular MUGEN game you can toss in a sidescrolling level to mix things up.

Also, instead of having to create a 'hero' you can just use the thousands of existing MUGEN chars already, which have many more moves than BOR chars usually have.

But ultimately, it's up to what the MUGEN community creates with it as to whether it'll open up new fun gaming avenues.
#6  May 15, 2010, 04:32:44 am
  • Pro Israel commando.
A side scroller bonus match in my normal mugen roster is so flipping cool.
#7  May 15, 2010, 07:10:13 am
I haven't tested it yet, but how did you handle things like the stage or jumping with this template, Count Monte? Is it all on 2D, like normal fighting game/MUGEN stages, or do they have a z axis like most beat em ups/BOR? Is jump/crouch still up/down, or would this template assign particular buttons for them (to accomodate for the z axis'd stages)?
#8  May 15, 2010, 07:16:08 am
  • im finally just like everyone else
    • sites.google.com/site/thespritehaven/
I haven't tested it yet, but how did you handle things like the stage or jumping with this template, Count Monte? Is it all on 2D, like normal fighting game/MUGEN stages, or do they have a z axis like most beat em ups/BOR? Is jump/crouch still up/down, or would this template assign particular buttons for them (to accomodate for the z axis'd stages)?
From my understanding, this can only be one planed. Meaning 2d movement.

fucking bad poster asshole that home32 bitch
#9  May 16, 2010, 11:55:13 am
Finally, my dream long realized! I tried to make a basic template myself editing a kfm and strength training bonus game... but.....
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWf5wHyHNVg  o_O

to edit the characters in the template, do we simply swap sff file and the states with the cns file of the character we want? ...you know what, can someone post a tutorial or basic example, I haven't really edited a character in a long time and what little coding knowledge I know resulted in the above monstrosity >_<
#10  May 16, 2010, 03:46:16 pm
  • Club -SyN- in my past life
    • USA
    • negative-edge.net
Nice attempt. I feel like its lacking alot though, I know its a simple template for others and I perfer doing things complexed and out of the normal but still,
I commend you for creating something that we don't see everyday in mugen.

Funny you should bring this up.

Not to hijack this thread but I started something similar when the new year started and its almost ready.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWQcT0zA7Yo

Anyway, Congrats on your release. :)
Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:56:29 pm by -SyN-
#11  May 16, 2010, 06:10:53 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Interesting, but,
Most of the time, the player cannot turn to any opponent attacking in his back! :P
#12  May 17, 2010, 02:14:12 am
uh, also is there any chance of you releasing the gi joe example you created as well, lol?
#13  May 17, 2010, 02:19:19 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
#14  May 17, 2010, 02:29:46 am
I'm diggin this.
MUGEN is getting boring. We need more sidescrollers.
#15  May 17, 2010, 05:51:50 am
The link is not working. Can you please add a mirror?
#16  May 18, 2010, 05:23:29 am
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter
This is so fun is there anyway to change the enemies i'm thinking of doing a X-Men version where they fight sentinels, Omega Red, Spiral etc
And Kick annnd Kick and Kick
Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:25:47 am by KVCGAS
#17  May 19, 2010, 09:31:15 pm
UPDATE:

Added brand new D&D sidescrolling stage and creatures.  See first post above for download links
Re: Sidescrolling Template for MUGEN **UPDATED**
#18  May 20, 2010, 07:00:38 am
It was fun, but it kinda needs work. My character turns around when attacking, which is really annoying when everything's to the right and I suddenly turn left. Other than that, it's good. Nice to romp around a beat em up with a Motochika I didn't spend 10 hours making.  ;P
#19  May 21, 2010, 11:02:16 pm
There is something I need help with:
Making the screen scroll before you get so close to the edge.  If you go to the stage.def you'll see that it's set to 70.  If I increase that number, it will scroll sooner but it jitters like mad.  So there's a corresponding area in the character.def that probably needs to be changed.

I've experimented and done the best I can, and can't figure out a way to get it work better.  If anyone can find a solution to this, PLEASE post it here.  Thanks!
#20  May 22, 2010, 08:37:39 am
I've checked the video, and it looks fun. Thanks, your help can make M.U.G.E.N even better. Also LOL at the Mario voice when you grab coin in this Template  :P
#21  May 24, 2010, 01:58:42 am
I hope someone makes something that kicks ass with this tool.
#22  May 24, 2010, 10:15:43 am
  • keep on rockin'
exploring further the depths of the MUGEN engine. you have my respect for this post my friend, this will be great fun
love and let love