YesNoOk

Jmorphman's WIP thread: Project S.H.I.N.(go): Shingo Beta out! (Read 2441199 times)

Started by Jmorphman, November 01, 2010, 09:13:43 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Got a light?

This is the water
81 (25.2%)
And this is the well
77 (24%)
Drink full, and descend
33 (10.3%)
The horse is the white of the eye
37 (11.5%)
And the dark within
52 (16.2%)
This is the water
41 (12.8%)
And this is the well
0 (0%)
Drink full, and descend
0 (0%)
The horse is the white of the eye
0 (0%)
And the dark within
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 318

Re: Jmorphman's WIP thread: KING BETA RELEASED!!!
#5261  December 17, 2016, 08:23:01 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
I got those effects to you. Have at it!
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
Re: Jmorphman's WIP thread: KING BETA RELEASED!!! + the true meaning of Christmas???
#5262  December 17, 2016, 08:53:15 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Re: Jmorphman's WIP thread: KING BETA RELEASED!!! + the true meaning of Christmas???
#5263  December 18, 2016, 10:07:53 am
How is this a beta ? amazing work. Imma test her out more and see if I find anything funny.
That batman stage brings back memories.
Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:15:33 am by PeXXeR
#5264  December 18, 2016, 03:44:11 pm
only thing i see missing is her A.I other than that she is good! i wonder what else need to be done other than A.I
#5265  December 18, 2016, 04:21:09 pm
    • France
    • saga.3@hotmail.fr
Just tested her and se s solid. Just one thing : you cannot perform ex surprise rose with mk and hk, it works only with lk and mk.

édit : my bad, it works, sorry :)
Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:13:50 pm by porcaro
#5266  December 18, 2016, 08:54:07 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Good job!
I tested the beta, now I can't wait for the release!
#5267  December 18, 2016, 09:26:02 pm
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
Loving King, never actually played as her in CvS2 or any of the versions I had of her in M.U.G.E.N. before, but this is definitely going to change that [Once I get better with her, that is..]. Just a few things I feel are worth pointing out.

- Surprise Rose and Trap Shot have a smaller execution window than Venom Shot and Mirage Kick, making them difficult, if not almost impossible to pull off.
- Secret Mirage's hitbox is a bit extreme. It allows the higher kicks to hit smaller characters like Pikachu, which makes it look super weird.
  - Side note on Secret Mirage, just kind of nitpicking a bit. The fact that there's no "special swooshing", for lack of a better term, when she kicks with the aura around her makes the move feel a little empty.
- If one of the projectiles from Phantom Strike hits an opponent that's in midair, they won't be juggled by the rest of them. Probably intentional, but never hurts to be safe in mentioning it all the same.
#5268  December 18, 2016, 10:25:13 pm
    • USA
Would the FX colors look that much weird if you split them 3 for the remaining slots? Looking it up, that would still be 42 slots for each one.
I could, and it would have only an extremely minor effect (virtually unnoticeable, even) on the quality of the effects... but I still don't really want to. I dunno. I feel comfortable having those effects stay the same color. Technically speaking, the only effect that really needs to be able to change color is the Silent Flash effects, which in CvS2 change along with the palette because they have to match the color of King's pants. And I figure that the actual King separation is so complicated that I don't want to have three different sets of effect colors...

only thing i see missing is her A.I other than that she is good! i wonder what else need to be done other than A.I
Besides adding AI:
  • add the new hires effects by Hoshi
  • update all palettes to use the new effect colors
  • add winquotes
  • make a small portrait, and find a suitable big portrait (more on this later), and I guess the winquote portrait needs touching up
  • general fine-tuning
  • hot dog go to bathroom

- Surprise Rose and Trap Shot have a smaller execution window than Venom Shot and Mirage Kick, making them difficult, if not almost impossible to pull off.
They should be identical to all the other dragon punch motion moves, but I'll double check.

- Secret Mirage's hitbox is a bit extreme. It allows the higher kicks to hit smaller characters like Pikachu, which makes it look super weird.
The hitbox is straight from 2002UM, and I think the hugeness of it is what gives the move much of its utility. I was too lazy to do much with the hit spark positions besides placing them where they should appear under ideal situations, so there's gonna problems on short characters, or if you hit an airborne opponent with one of the low kicks; it is something I plan to address in the final version, however (the idea is basically to dynamically determine where the hitspark should be placed based on opponent position, head.pos, and statetype).

- Side note on Secret Mirage, just kind of nitpicking a bit. The fact that there's no "special swooshing", for lack of a better term, when she kicks with the aura around her makes the move feel a little empty.
Not much that can be done about that, I'm afraid. The difference between the KOF and CvS sprites is too vast in those instances.

- If one of the projectiles from Phantom Strike hits an opponent that's in midair, they won't be juggled by the rest of them. Probably intentional, but never hurts to be safe in mentioning it all the same
Intentional; the main purpose of that move is to throw out a ton of projectiles at once (and also mixup potential because the low projectiles must be blocked low); it's not ideal as an anti-air to begin with, and I wanted Silent Flash to be the go-to anti-air, so I didn't want the projectiles juggling.

There are seven days left to discover the True Meaning of Christmas, or else there'll be coal in all the children's stockings.
#5269  December 19, 2016, 11:28:01 pm
    • USA
New effects:

There are six days left for someone to discover the True Meaning of Christmas. Time grows short.
#5270  December 19, 2016, 11:30:33 pm
  • Idea!
    • USA
Mmm, yeah, was waiting to see those sexy Hi-Rez effects.
#5271  December 20, 2016, 01:54:32 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
This is the second time you've teased Demitri, what with that video and everything

You better not me messin' with me J. Peterman Morphman
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#5272  December 20, 2016, 02:07:22 am
    • USA
I'm no kidder.

CONSIDER the Christmas song "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year", and specifically these lyrics:
There'll be parties for hosting
Marshmallows for toasting
And caroling out in the snow
There'll be scary ghost stories
And tales of the glories of the
Christmases long, long ago

Scary ghost stories. Stories with scary monsters. Darkstalkers is a fighting game series with a cast made up by monsters. Demitri is the lead character of Darkstalkers.

THEREFORE, I think it can be agreed upon that Demitri is the true meaning of Christmas. And thus it must follow that he comes next.
Re: Jmorphman's WIP thread: KING BETA!!! + the true meaning of Christmas is DEMITRI
#5273  December 20, 2016, 02:33:03 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Ooh, yay!  Are you going to use the CvS converted sprites by Dampir?
Re: Jmorphman's WIP thread: KING BETA!!! + the true meaning of Christmas is DEMITRI
#5274  December 20, 2016, 02:34:16 am
  • war is always over mugen
  • the solitare blade of light
    • Uruguay
wow what a...great resolusion my friend looks up to your meaniness :D
#5275  December 20, 2016, 02:43:06 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Ooh, yay!  Are you going to use the CvS converted sprites by Dampir?

All signs and that screenshot up there point to no

Which is good, because no true Successor should limit his Darkstalker with a converted spriteset

I'm quessing it's the CFE spriteset for proportions' sake
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:46:32 am by Speedpreacher
#5276  December 20, 2016, 02:47:20 am
    • USA
I haven't even started to put the sprites together; that's someone else's Demitri!

The sprites will either be from Darkstalkers itself or the slightly modified Capcom Fighting Jam set. I don't care for his SvC sprites (or any sets derived from it).

But I'm not sure exactly what sprite set I'll end up using right now. CFJ has several advantages: Froz has already color separated it, and it looks nicer that the DS sprites in some respects. But there's just something about the CFJ sprites (which are just the DS sprites stretched vertically by a small amount, and given slightly redrawn hair) that ever so slightly bugs me; a nagging displeasure based entirely on aesthetics, that troubles my mind.

And I'll also note that while the sprite rips from CFJ (probably, I'm pretty sure) contain every Capcom-drawn sprite Demitri's ever had, not all of them were "converted" to the new standard. Only the ones used in CFJ itself were stretched and fiddled with, so stuff like his Vampire Savior style Chaos Flare or his seppuku animation are all identical to the Darkstalkers sprite set. Obviously, converting them to match the rest of the sprites won't be some impossibly hard task, but it is still something that's worth taking into account when deciding on what set to use.

The gameplay system is also something that needs to be discussed: I'm planning on approaching the character in the same manner as PotS's Lei-Lei, meaning heavier emphasis on gameplay elements from Darkstalkers. Or I guess, to be more accurate, gameplay elements from CFJ's interpretation of Darkstalkers's system. So quite a lot of the usual system features will be missing (power charge, parries, rolls, etc.), but chain combos and pursuit attacks will be added in the mix.

I also intend to make him compatible with every existing Midnight Bliss standard, and to introduce a new, accurate-to-Darkstalkers animation standard (unless there's already an existing one? I'm pretty sure there isn't)
#5277  December 20, 2016, 03:13:08 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I don't remember all the reasons but me and @Felineki: finally came to the conclusion that the DS sprite set was the best. I'm hoping he remembers the reasons as they were very good! Or you can just take my word for it!

By sure to at least use the new stance animation that has double the frames!!!
#5278  December 20, 2016, 04:10:40 am
  • Hate is just confused admiration.
    • USA
I haven't even started to put the sprites together; that's someone else's Demitri!

The sprites will either be from Darkstalkers itself or the slightly modified Capcom Fighting Jam set. I don't care for his SvC sprites (or any sets derived from it).

But I'm not sure exactly what sprite set I'll end up using right now. CFJ has several advantages: Froz has already color separated it, and it looks nicer that the DS sprites in some respects. But there's just something about the CFJ sprites (which are just the DS sprites stretched vertically by a small amount, and given slightly redrawn hair) that ever so slightly bugs me; a nagging displeasure based entirely on aesthetics, that troubles my mind.

And I'll also note that while the sprite rips from CFJ (probably, I'm pretty sure) contain every Capcom-drawn sprite Demitri's ever had, not all of them were "converted" to the new standard. Only the ones used in CFJ itself were stretched and fiddled with, so stuff like his Vampire Savior style Chaos Flare or his seppuku animation are all identical to the Darkstalkers sprite set. Obviously, converting them to match the rest of the sprites won't be some impossibly hard task, but it is still something that's worth taking into account when deciding on what set to use.

The gameplay system is also something that needs to be discussed: I'm planning on approaching the character in the same manner as PotS's Lei-Lei, meaning heavier emphasis on gameplay elements from Darkstalkers. Or I guess, to be more accurate, gameplay elements from CFJ's interpretation of Darkstalkers's system. So quite a lot of the usual system features will be missing (power charge, parries, rolls, etc.), but chain combos and pursuit attacks will be added in the mix.

I also intend to make him compatible with every existing Midnight Bliss standard, and to introduce a new, accurate-to-Darkstalkers animation standard (unless there's already an existing one? I'm pretty sure there isn't)

Will there be a config option for the usual things you have used (power charge, parries, rolls, etc.) or would that be too much trouble/not worth the time. Either way Demitri is my favorite Darkstalker, kinda sad he's relegated to the backseat compared to Morrigan and Felicia.
It's all the same in the end, matter and motion, simple or complex. No difference, finally. Death, transfiguration. Ashes to ashes and slime to slime, amen.

#5279  December 20, 2016, 06:14:29 am
    • USA
Unlikely, because there aren't really sprites to support them. At most, I would add a config to add an option to enable a superpause to the EX moves (the Darkstalkers kind of EX moves, which are basically sorta supers).

I don't remember all the reasons but me and @Felineki: finally came to the conclusion that the DS sprite set was the best. I'm hoping he remembers the reasons as they were very good! Or you can just take my word for it!
I tried the search function to try and find this, but wasn't successful. Oh well.

By sure to at least use the new stance animation that has double the frames!!!
But that's for CFJ!!!
#5280  December 20, 2016, 06:19:33 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Aww, kinda breaking away from the usual by having him more like PotS' Lei-Lei >..<

But, nonetheless, I can't wait to see what comes of this ^..^