YesNoOk

Rage will require 3 Discs on 360, 8 GB Install on PS3 (Read 1796 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, September 25, 2011, 10:28:23 pm
Share this topic:
Rage will require 3 Discs on 360, 8 GB Install on PS3
#1  September 25, 2011, 10:28:23 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Rage will require 3 Discs on 360, 8 GB Install on PS3

At Eurogamer Expo, the creative director for Rage confirmed that the game will release on three discs for the Xbox 360, and for PS3 owners, require an 8 GB install.

The three-disc release wasn't exactly a surprise. At QuakeCon, Joel reported that the game would require 21 to 22 GB of hard drive space if you installed it to your 360. That hinted at a multidisc form for sure. The 8 GB installation on the PS3 had been rumored. id's Tim Willits confirmed it for Eurogamer's Digital Foundry, and complimented Sony for its help in managing the installation and permitting one of that size.

"Sony was great. Kudos to Sony for letting us do that," Willits said. "They don't allow every game to do that. So definitely, hats off. What we were able to do is install all the textures to the highest level."

Willits said that while id Software recommends installing the game to the hard drive on the 360, "you don't need to install all three discs. If you don't have the space available on your hard drive, don't stress. Install the first disc, the first chapter, the first half of the game, then when you're done, uninstall and install disc two."

Asked to explain what that meant, Willits said: "You can go back if you want to but there's really no reason to." Also: "You don't really need to install the multiplayer disc if you're really tight on hard disk space."

http://kotaku.com/5843668/rage-will-require-3-discs-on-360-8-gb-install-on-ps3

Seriously...this console generation really sucks compared with past generations.

In the past, games never needed to be installed ..it was a easy plug and play action and i loved it.

Now when i buy a game i have to download patches if i dont want to have the risk of bugs which were onboard when the game was released and i have to install games sometimes to prevent really long loading times (Tekken 6) or i cant even play it without installing (Hell even Naruto games need that now)

Now that it is possible, it looks to me like developers are rushing out games with bugs which can cause freezing, damaged saves etc. In the past there were bugs in the games as well..but never in a scale like with new released games today.

8GB Install...that will probably take a hour or even more. Damn this sucks.
Re: Rage will require 3 Discs on 360, 8 GB Install on PS3
#2  September 25, 2011, 10:29:17 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
I played Rage at Quake-Con. It was... pretty meh. Not worth it, trust me.
#3  September 25, 2011, 10:31:06 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Rage looks boring as fuck.  The only reason I even know it by name is because the awesome A Perfect Circle remix in the commercial. 
#4  September 25, 2011, 10:31:24 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
really?

I was never a big fan of fps but the old doom and quake games were a exception (together with a few other games like serious sam and darkwatch for ps2) i want(ed) to buy rage but this 8gb install is something annoying
#5  September 25, 2011, 10:35:38 pm
    • USA
I dont play too many FPS anymore. Too many grey and bloom shooters in the market trying to capitalize on the fame that is Modern Warfare.
#6  September 25, 2011, 11:38:04 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
really?

I was never a big fan of fps but the old doom and quake games were a exception (together with a few other games like serious sam and darkwatch for ps2) i want(ed) to buy rage but this 8gb install is something annoying
You want to play a new shooter, wait for Tribes Ascend.
#7  September 25, 2011, 11:59:16 pm
Big game, I think it'll be good though, but I haven't been following it much at all so I probably should see why it looks "boring as fuck", unless that's just a "Fuck the mainstream" mentality.
#8  September 26, 2011, 03:52:05 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Now that it is possible, it looks to me like developers are rushing out games with bugs which can cause freezing, damaged saves etc. In the past there were bugs in the games as well..but never in a scale like with new released games today.

8GB Install...that will probably take a hour or even more. Damn this sucks.

Yeah, before we could look at game programmers as clever persons who were on a different environment that was less exigent bugs wise but still allowed them to cleverly solve programming problems at teh cost of having a few bugs but always trying to improve speeds; now we look at them like the dumb kids who can't make a proper bug-free program and go to game programming because they would not last a week in bussinness programming.
#9  September 26, 2011, 07:36:35 am
  • Standby for Slumber
    • USA
When I saw this, I immediately though that it would look boring and probably would have sub-par gameplay.

But I'll at least give it a rent or something when it comes out.
#10  September 26, 2011, 08:46:44 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Rage looks pretty boring, but it won't be suffering from bugs or issues. iD has still got John fucking Carmack.
#11  September 26, 2011, 01:26:14 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
yeah no
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#12  September 26, 2011, 03:40:26 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Rage looks pretty boring, but it won't be suffering from bugs or issues. iD has still got John fucking Carmack.

too abd they can't clone him, eh is the only game programmer I respect currently.
#13  September 27, 2011, 09:44:59 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Somewhat related to discussion but I wanted to post this somewhere anyway http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/27/which-witcher-is-the-witcher-2-2-0/

Some “game industry experts” even suggested that we should produce fewer patches, or at least refrain from mentioning all the corrections and changes in the readme files, as this creates the impression that the game was unfinished.

That’s just the wrong way of thinking to me, and it goes against our company values. Hiding facts? Taking a manipulative stance towards our customers? Come on – that’s pure bullshit!

Anyway, our approach is different and relatively simple. All DLC for the PC version is and will remain FREE. That’s not likely to be the story for the Xbox version, because of certain Microsoft policies that need to be followed.

<3 cdprojekt. Everyone talks about "grey and bloom" shooters and PAID DLC and dumbed down gaming, but do any of you support games like The Witcher 2 which doesn't have any of this shit? No, you spend all the time bitching about it on the internet for whatever call of gears of heavy rain advertisement you saw on TV which you think stands for the rest of modern games today.
#14  September 27, 2011, 03:39:22 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Well i plan on buying witcher 2 when it comes out on 360

Is that helping? D:
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#15  September 27, 2011, 03:42:34 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Somewhat related to discussion but I wanted to post this somewhere anyway http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/27/which-witcher-is-the-witcher-2-2-0/

Some “game industry experts” even suggested that we should produce fewer patches, or at least refrain from mentioning all the corrections and changes in the readme files, as this creates the impression that the game was unfinished.

That’s just the wrong way of thinking to me, and it goes against our company values. Hiding facts? Taking a manipulative stance towards our customers? Come on – that’s pure bullshit!

Anyway, our approach is different and relatively simple. All DLC for the PC version is and will remain FREE. That’s not likely to be the story for the Xbox version, because of certain Microsoft policies that need to be followed.

<3 cdprojekt. Everyone talks about "grey and bloom" shooters and PAID DLC and dumbed down gaming, but do any of you support games like The Witcher 2 which doesn't have any of this shit? No, you spend all the time bitching about it on the internet for whatever call of gears of heavy rain advertisement you saw on TV which you think stands for the rest of modern games today.

i bought Witcher 2 months ago via good old games..its one of the best games i ever saw and i love the support it gets.

#16  September 27, 2011, 06:57:04 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

false, I support games that I enjoy.
#17  September 27, 2011, 07:51:17 pm
  • SNK is life
Installing each disk?! PREPOSTEROUS

... wait, I didn't see nobody complain about it with MGS4.
#18  September 27, 2011, 08:01:05 pm
yeah i don't see what's so noteworthy about this
#19  September 27, 2011, 09:05:17 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
... wait, I didn't see nobody complain about it with MGS4.
If they didn't, it was because they were fanboys. Having to install each disc every single time was annoying as hell.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#20  September 29, 2011, 08:12:48 am
  • FTW!!!

In the past, games never needed to be installed ..it was a easy plug and play action and i loved it.

Now when i buy a game i have to download patches if i dont want to have the risk of bugs which were onboard when the game was released and i have to install games sometimes to prevent really long loading times

Past games had its fair share of bugs and glitches, albeit not as noticeable as 3-D modeling/Modern Games but its still there. And 2-d requires less coding.